thirty-something primal running bgvanbur

bgvanbur

What kind of primal stuff are you eating these days? Out of curiosity. :)

Pretty much same as before.  Yesterday I made a new recipe (if you can even call it that).  On facebook one of the paleo pages I like posted a broccoli with garlic and lemon recipe and I made it and 3/5 of us liked it (I don't think I can get 2 of those kids to ever say they like broccoli anyways).

Your week sounds like it has been going great!  Bonus points are definitely well deserved.

Thanks, I kind of like that grading style.

I had a great week except a non-primal binge last night while watching the new season of Orange is the New Black (awesome show by the way!).

I did my long run this morning (where I tested 2Toms for the first time, applies easier than bodyglide and didn't have any issues.

Bodyweight exercises are little lacking and the handstand goal has been turned into tons of headstand practice lately and not hitting my very ambitious goal.

• Like 1

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

What kind of headstands you been doing? Against the wall or free standing? 

I started doing them near the wall but only seemed to need it when getting my legs up, I was pretty good as keeping them overhead once in position.  On Friday I even did a 50 second headstand in the middle of the living room (if I slowly raise my legs I can get into position).  I am doing a tripod style head stand most of the time (see below image).  I think I want to try some other hand positions maybe even work on a forearm variant so maybe I could do a forearm hand stand.

step-5.jpg

• Like 1

Tripod headstands are fun.

I think free-standing forearm headstands are extremely difficult. In my mind, this arm variation is like "Level 2:"

supportedheadstandpose.jpg

You will probably be able to do this one free standing, but it is harder. You can practice either with head touching floor or with head drawn away from floor. The later is, of course, excellent prep for forearm stand. 

• Like 1

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen 

I found that getting into a forearm headstand but trying to get as vertical with my feet on the floor first (think touching your toes but instead in forearm headstand position), that it is pretty easy to get into the headstand.  This is probably why I thought the tripod style was easier to get into since is more natural to get more vertical prior to taking your feet off the floor.

This week I have been battling what we think was two different sicknesses, so Tues/Wed were little bodyweight/handstand since it sucked even to breath but at least I continued my daily running (it sucked but it didn't suck any worse than being still so it was good to be out there if that makes sense).

Week 2 Update

YcOh4cu.pngAttack Food Soldiers

1) Made smart primal choices every day

At around 87% primal, way lower than I want to be

1nql1XH.pngRunning
2) Run every day

Ran every day

3) Run long once a week

Ran long every week

hH61joL.pngLifting

4) Lift heavy once a week

Lifted every week

ii06zls.pngHandstand

5) Do 200 minutes of handstand during the challenge

Total at 35 minutes

SB3G6ju.pngBodyweight Momentum

6) Do 20 bodyweight reps every day (5 seconds of non-handstand static hold counts as 1 rep) +1 WIS

Did next to nothing last week, at an average of 17

Week 3 Forecast

My priority is my upcoming 99 miler, so my daily mileage and long runs are top priority.  Next is my diet to fuel my body.  Then the lifting goal.  Then the handstands and bodyweight are kind of unimportant to me now, I will do what I can but don't really care about those goals so much now.

• Like 2

I agree, B. No sense putting effort where it will likely be wasted on the 99-miler. Good call.

Any ideas on how you want to beef up the primal eating?

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

I agree, B. No sense putting effort where it will likely be wasted on the 99-miler. Good call.

Any ideas on how you want to beef up the primal eating?

At first my response was finish off the ice cream in the freezer then I won't be tempted by it :)  But really, who buys a 48 variety pack of ice cream cones and sandwiches, I just want to eat them all the time and was eating about 3 a day since my wife got it a few days ago.

• Like 1

I ended up having to destroy (via water) some animal crackers I got last year when I realized I was eating them so fast I couldn't keep count. I was off sugar junk food at the time and had no idea how affected I would get by the crackers. I finally had to run water over them and trow them in the garbage. Not sure what the wife would say to that, if you destroyed the ice cream.... hum... IDK.

Good Luck with it.

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Ate 3 more yesterday, but primal otherwise.  Can't destroy the ice cream and too much to have the kids get rid of it quickly.

Today will be a good day.  Lifted this morning, going to a bike park for the trail group run (last one was 21 days, really missing seeing my friends) and plan to bike and run and maybe bike again there.  Primal foods all ready.

• Like 1

The lifting goal is going great!  I lifted yesterday and have kept up lifting the same exact weigh/reps/sets/order once a week for over 2 months now.  The weights were all near 95% of my PRs, and I can definitely feel it getting easier despite only doing it once a week.  If this continues, I will be in a great place to make good gains once I start lifting more in the colder months.  I think about 2 weeks prior to the big race I will stop the lifting as part of the taper.

Yesterday was a great day, lifted in the morning, ate primal all day, 40 minutes of mountain biking (on easy and moderate trails) and an hour running those trails.

• Like 2

If you fed the kids ice cream treats for each meal then you don't waste food and get it out of the house faster.  I know there are a few minor problems with that idea like kids hyped on sugar, tummy aches, setting a bad example, and I am sure the wife would say no.  ha ha ha

I am not only in awe of your running but how great you are doing with your diet especially when certain treats are unavailable.  

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Woohoo, all the good ice cream is gone (and no, I didn't eat all of it).

I traveled this weekend to see in-laws one day and my family another day.  I blew up at my wife at the in-laws.  I didn't realize how much stress I had until we had an argument and I said something really mean to her.  It has been tense and weird ever since.  At least she has been been super helpful since to make everything else less stressful just to be stressed out about our relationship now.

Missed my run on Sunday and tried to go out Monday night with the dog and she wasn't listening so it was so stresful I headed back and didn't go back out afterwards.

Primal going ok, nice to see how both my family and in-laws are supportive of my diet.  Had some good running talk with my brother and his wife (both of which are runners).

• Like 2

Hey, I had a doritos moment yesterday too!  We had three open bags of nacho cheese doritios so I decided I would finish the two smaller bags for the movie the wife and I were watching.  I poured them into the bowl and went and did other things while my wife finished cooking her dinner.  When she was ready, I decided I didn't really want them and poured them into the remaining bag and ate leftover salad instead.

Got some books at the library (Primal Blueprint, never finished reading it doh!, Food Rules by Michael Pollen, Eat & Run by Scott Jurek, and a ultramarathon story collection).  Extra motivation for my running and primal goals!

• Like 3

Thanks.

Been doing great primal lately (have bone broth made, liver loaf made and lots of veggies and fruits).

Even though I only ran a mile Sunday through Tuesday, it was nice to get a mini taper (I was thinking about throwing something like this in anyways and it just kind of fit).  Did my run on Wednesday and lifted Thursday morning with a bike / group run / bike planned for the evening.

• Like 3

You are kicking some serious ass, man. Way to kill it.

Keep it going strong!  :smiley_simmons:

Thanks!

Liver loaf?  Sort of curious I think.... :unsure:

So I make my meat load using ground meat and eggs (usually around 2-4 eggs per pound of meat) and cook for around an hour at 375.  Less eggs and it might not stay together, too many eggs and it will be softer (think quiche versus solid traditional meat loaf).  So liver loaf just used blended livers.  I prefer chicken livers (1 pound with 4 eggs) and it is quite the loaf (I can slice it and put peanut butter on it or butter or salsa or cheese).  The beef liver loaf doesn't stay together well for me and much stronger flavor and overpowers anything you pair it with.  My middle son even ate a small slice of the loaf yesterday (he did not like the bone broth).

Had a misbehaving child on Thursday so I didn't get any evening exercise in, but despite that I was 100% primal without much effort since I already had so much primal food already prepared (I think that is part of my problem with deviations, it is easier to grab a bowl of ice cream or chips than chop/cook/etc).

Since I missed my Thursday run, looks like I might get to do a group long run on Saturday at least!  Still only 4 people signed up to solo the 99 miles and one of them is the one setting up Saturday's run.

• Like 2