"The journey of a thousand miles begins beneath one's feet."--Lao-tzu

Copied and pasted from my intro post--

Goal:  To have a BMI of 24.9 or less (136 lbs or less) by December 31, 2015

To do this, I will

1.  Eat no more than 24 g of added sugar (none from HFCS) daily,

2.  Eat only between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., and

3.  Spend at least 60 minutes being active every day.  This can be formal exercise, walking, yard work, house work, or active play with the kids.

To log my progress, I will take monthly photos, frontal and side views, both clothed and in underwear, and I will weigh in monthly.

I started this journey on May 22.

I haven't made a log yet to chart my progress, but I've been doing well with the eating.  I avoided all added sugar until yesterday, when I had a PB&J sandwich with low-sugar strawberry preserves.  I ate about 15 g of sugar in the preserves, and I noticed I was more hungry and craving sugar for the rest of the day.  Something to be aware of.

I've been less consistent with movement.  I was doing well until I tried the BBWW on Monday, the 25th.  I did two sets and should have only done one.  The lunges killed my quads, and I was effectively hobbled until today.  Today my legs are still achey, and I'm going to give it another day before attempting the BBWW again.  I have been taking a 30 minute walk each evening, pain or no with the exception of a day when it was also stormy.

So things to work on:

• A log.  I love lists and check-boxes!  They make me feel very productive and accountable.
  • An inclement weather work-out plan B.
  • Think about long-term fitness goals.  What have I always dreamed of doing?  What looks fun to try?
  • Think about short-term fitness goals.  Beyond just eating better and moving more every day, what is a goal I could work toward and achieve in the next two months?
  • Like 1

Level: 0 | Race: Corvid | Class: Recruit/Assassin-in-Training

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Intro  Current/first challenge  Battle log

Weight goal:  136 by Dec. 31, 2015

Starting weight:  178 on May 22, 2015

12%
12%

Movement:  Yesterday I took my 30 minute walk.  It feels good to move and get air deep into my lungs.  I need to drive it so I can measure the distance I'm walking.  I was otherwise pretty slack.  Lack of sleep due to teething baby is making it hard to keep focus to get much of anything done.

Eating:  Check!  (Yesterday)  No added refined sugar, breakfast about 9:00 a.m., and stopped eating about 6 p.m.  I made a sweet-ish whole wheat zucchini-apricot bread, modding a recipe by substituting EV olive oil for butter and raisin puree for white sugar.  So no added refined sugar, and I reduced the overall sugar content of the loaf by 38 g.  It turned out great, nice and moist, and did not provoke further sweet cravings.  Will make again, maybe trying applesauce for the sugar, which would reduce sugar content by another 48 g (86 down from the original).

Other:  Body fat calipers arrived from Amazon yesterday.  Depressing.  I took slight offense when the "character generator" gave me "blob" as a race.  It is, however, appropriate.  49%

Goals for today

Movement: 

• BBWW, two sets, substituting something for the jumping jacks--not good for nursing boobs without a good exercise bra
  • 30 minute walk
  • vacuum the floor!

Eating:  Same + more protein.  Try to hit Sam's to stock up on chicken breasts.

Other:

• Make some kind of work out log
  • Consider new shoes--look into "barefoot" style/flat feet/overpronation
  • Add a photo here

12%
12%

Yesterday

Movement: 

• Vacuumed the whole house with all the bending over to pick up toys and shifting tables and chairs (took about an hour)
  • Did BBWW mostly, two sets.  I did 10 stationary lunges each set because I wanted to be able to walk today, upped weight for dumbbell rows to 15 lb, and omitted jumping jacks.  Immediately after finishing, I ordered a decent work-out bra.
  • Walked with the kids in the stroller to the park, 18 min each way.

Eating:  Breakfast 9 a.m., stopped eating after dinner/7p.m.  No added sugars.  Had more egg at breakfast and made butternut squash with sausage, onion, and sage for dinner.  Did not make it to Sam's, but have informed husband he will be watching the kids today while I go.

Other:  Totally crapped out there.

I notice I feel stronger already.  The squats and push ups were much easier, and the lunges were more stable.  Lunges have always been my enemy.  When I walk, my legs want to run.  My brain and the rest of my body know better, and my knees thank them.  My energy level is more consistent as well.  I'm certainly not vibrant, vital, and full of life yet, but I no longer wonder if I can make through the day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Plan for today

Movement:  30 minute walk

Eating:  no changes, stock up on basics from TJ's and Sam's

Other:

• do yesterday's list--workout log, shoes, photo
  • think about challenge--goals, battle plan, accountability

12%
12%

Yesterday

Movement:  Walked to and from MIL's house for dinner (15 min each way) + walked around her neighborhood after dinner (25 min) = 55 min walking, yay!

Eating:  Breakfast 8 a.m., stopped eating after dinner at 7:15 p.m. except for one bite of melon at 8.  No added sugars.

Other: 

• Ordered a pair of barefoot-style shoes--should be here next week--and found this cool instructable on how to make some.  I may try that today just for fun.
  • Tried to upload a photo.  Was not successful.  Did not persist.  Will try again today.
  • Did not do workout log.  I don't know why I'm procrastinating on this.
  • Gave some consideration to challenge goals and structure.  I think my main fitness goal will be either weight loss or fitting into my one-size-smaller shorts, and my steps to achieve it will be working out, walking, and eating.  I will probably choose having a cleaner environment as a life goal, with regular vacuuming and something about laundry, dishes, and cleaning the bathrooms as the specifics.

Modifying the BBWW workout was the way to go.  Yesterday and today I've felt a bit achey but not painful, able to function normally.

Re:  Barefoot/minimalist shoes--I used to have horrible foot and knee pain, plantar fasciitis and luxating patellas.  Walking was really painful like I was being stabbed in the heels with an icepick, and I had to wear cushiony shoes all the time, even in the house.  Losing weight helped the pain but never made it go away completely.  Since I've stayed home with the kids, I spend most of my time barefoot, and I've worn mostly Chacos when out since I moved to FL 6 years ago.  I realized when reading up on going barefoot with flat feet that I don't have that foot and knee pain anymore, yet I'm much heavier than ever before.  Hm.

I stocked up on lean protein yesterday.  Made a crock-pot of shredded chicken to partition into meal quantities.  Plan to make chicken/red lentil/green bean curry for dinner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Plan for today

Eating:  No changes

Other:  Do that damn workout log!  Upload a photo!

12%
12%

Yesterday

Movement:  Walked usual 30 minute route.  Took longer because I was doing it in the huarches I made and had to stop to adjust a few times.  Feet feel fine--no ill effects from lack of cushioning.

Eating:  Breakfast 9:30 a.m., stopped eating 7 p.m., 0 g added sugars

Other:  Made log and upload photo.  Not the photo I wanted, but I'm still having trouble with this.  Ravelry has spoiled me for ease of use.

My pants feel a bit looser already, so I stepped on the scale just for fun.  I'm down 4 lbs, which is nearly half a size for me.  Cool!

Kids are driving me crazy today.  One is recovering from a cold, and the other is in the full throes of teething, so they're very clingy and whiny.  I have a lot I wanted to do today that won't get done, but I will make working out a top priority.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Plan for today

Movement:  BBWW, walk 30 minutes

Eating:  No changes

Other:  Not go crazy.  Maybe do some laundry.

12%
12%

Yesterday

Movement:  BBWW, same mods as before + 30 min walk

Eating:  breakfast 9 a.m., stopped eating 7 p.m., 0g added sugars

Other:  survived :)

Little achiness today.  Next time I will do 3 sets of BBWW, still keeping reps of lunges low.  Will add back jumping jacks as soon as my new bra arrives.

I was less in control of my eating yesterday.  I'm happy with what I ate, but I was snacky.  I gravitated toward things high in fat and protein--nuts and yogurt.  I always have a hard time eating enough protein, so I need to really focus on that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today

Eating:  focus on protein

Other: 

• try to catch up on the housework that didn't happen yesterday--laundry, dishes, vacuuming
  • formally declare myself in the challenge thread

12%
12%

Yesterday

Movement:  nada.  thunderstorm.

Eating:  breakfast 8:30, stopped eating 8 p.m., 0g added sugars

Other:  cleaned up a bit, did not post in challenge thread

I was so slack yesterday.  I'm shorter on sleep than usual because Sabine has been waking up several times the last few nights--teething, growth spurt, or a combination.  I also decided to switch from coffee to tea to eliminate half and half calories, and I forgot how addicted I am to caffeine and was sluggish.  Today is better--I made the tea really strong.  :)

I need to figure out how to work around the climate to make sure to get a good walk in every day.  It's the rainy season and likely to storm in the evening.  I could go out earlier in the day, but it gets incredibly hot, humid, and bright by 8:30 or 9.  I need to talk with Steve about my going out before the family wakes, see if he minds waking up early to tend to the girl if she wakes while I'm out.  If I can manage it, getting in exercise in the early morning does improve my energy and mood for the rest of the day, so double win.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Goals for the rest of today

Movement:  walk, 30 min at least, longer if time

Eating:  no changes

Other:

• Post in challenge thread
  • Talk with Steve about early morning exercise
  • Cooking/baking to use up veggies and fruits

12%
12%

Yesterday

Movement:  nada.  thunderstorm.

Eating:  breakfast 8:30, stopped eating 8 p.m., 0g added sugars

Other:  cleaned up a bit, did not post in challenge thread

I was so slack yesterday.  I'm shorter on sleep than usual because Sabine has been waking up several times the last few nights--teething, growth spurt, or a combination.  I also decided to switch from coffee to tea to eliminate half and half calories, and I forgot how addicted I am to caffeine and was sluggish.  Today is better--I made the tea really strong.  :)

I need to figure out how to work around the climate to make sure to get a good walk in every day.  It's the rainy season and likely to storm in the evening.  I could go out earlier in the day, but it gets incredibly hot, humid, and bright by 8:30 or 9.  I need to talk with Steve about my going out before the family wakes, see if he minds waking up early to tend to the girl if she wakes while I'm out.  If I can manage it, getting in exercise in the early morning does improve my energy and mood for the rest of the day, so double win.

Goals for the rest of today

Movement:  walk, 30 min at least, longer if time

Other:

• Post in challenge thread
  • Talk with Steve about early morning exercise
  • Cooking/baking to use up veggies and fruits

12%
12%

Yesterday

Movement:  40 minute walk

Eating:  check, 0g sugars.  I don't remember times of breakfast, etc., but was within time parameters.

Other:  Challenge declared.  Zucchini/banana bread baked.  Forgot to ask about morning walking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today

Movement: 

• 30 minute walk. 
  • BBWW--3 sets, keeping the reps of lunges at 10/set. 
  • Vacuumed house

Eating:  breakfast 9:00 a.m., stopped eating 7 p.m., 2g added sugars (from bottled curry sauce)

Other:  I'm sure there was something...

Today was a good day.  Doing three sets of the BBWW was tiring but at no point seemed impossible, even adding back the jumping jacks.  It would have been a couple of weeks ago.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Plan for tomorrow

Other:  Cook the rest of the CSA squash bounty, even if it means having to freeze leftovers.

12%
12%

I haven't had time to update here for a few days, but I have been keeping on track.  I walked my 30-minute route Friday and Saturday, followed my eating plan, got some housework and social time in.  Made an AMAZING! winter squash curry to use up the butternut, acorn, and delicata squashes.  I really ought to spend more time learning Thai cooking and spices.

I've decaffed enough that I can get by with green tea, so that eliminates coffee with half & half calories.

My Vivobarefoot shoes came in a few days ago, and I've been wearing them for my walks.  I like them okay.  I don't like things between my toes, so I find that aspect of them irritating.  I don't notice it too much when I'm actually walking, but I can't wear them casually.  My posture is completely different when I walk with them.  I find that my body is erect and relaxed.  I don't have any knee, hip, heel, or back pain after walking in them.  I always thought my back pain came from having large breasts, but maybe it's because I've been fighting gravity because my heels are elevated in shoes.  Very interesting.  I don't think I'm hooked on these particular shoes, but I'm committed and convinced regarding minimalist shoes.

Plan for today

Eating:  same

Other:  laundry, dishes.  read up on Assassins.  catch up on Juice Bar posts.

12%
12%

Busy, busy day today.

Movement:  walked to/from playground with kids and husband (30 min total), actually RAN AROUND with the boy!  Climbed up things, slid down things, etc.  I haven't had the energy to do that before.  He was delighted.

Eating:  check.  Made waffles for the fam for breakfast.  Made oatmeal w/fruit and scrambled eggs for myself.  0g added sugars.

Other:  laundry, dishes--check.  had coffee and knitting with a friend (mental health points there).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Plan for tomorrow--first day of 6-week challenge

Movement:  30 minute walk, BBWW

Other: 

• Vacuum house or scrub bathroom.  Both are challenge tasks.
  • Make a log for challenge.
  • Spend some time weeding.

12%
12%

Yesterday

Movement:  BBWW (increased to 12 lunge reps per set), 30 minute walk

Eating:  check

Other:  Scrubbed a bathroom.  It was an all-day task.  I also made a challenge log.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Plan for today

Movement:  30 minute walk, vacuum (already done)

Other:  Catch a breath.  Girl seems to be trying to cut another tooth and was up frequently last night.

• Like 1

12%
12%

Today

Movement: 

• Walked to/from grocery store with family, ~20 min there, FOREVER to walk back because the 2 1/2 year old insisted on pushing his sister in the stroller the whole way home :)
  • Vacuumed whole house with the toy patrol and furniture moving that comes with it

Eating:  check

Other:  Not much

Today was not pleasant.  I was short on sleep, and the kids were both having rough days as well.  I was overstimulated and ended up having a panic attack while cooking dinner--hyperventalated and had to lie down on the floor to keep from passing out.  Fun, fun, fun.  Dinner was good--red lentil/green bean/chicken curry.  It's one of the fam's favorite dishes, and the boy's eyes lit up when I told him I'd made it.  I'm proud that I did not fall into stress-eating.  I likely would have just a few weeks ago.

Plan for tomorrow

Movement: 

• 30 minute walk (take kids to playground)
  • 20 min weeding

Other:  Spend some time thinking about my Epic Life Quest.

12%
12%

So I've completed the first week of my first 6-week challenge, and I scored a solid A across the board.  None of it was particularly difficult, and I often found myself thinking about how much better I felt and wondering how I let so much slip and why I didn't just do more.  Completing my challenge tasks didn't take me away from doing something else important or fun.  It just meant I spent less time doing things that are mindless, pointless, and meaningless.

I think I'm only going to post on this thread a couple of times a week rather than daily.  It was cumbersome to say the same thing over and over.  So I'll outline my plan for the week and check in with progress and realizations as it seems relevant but not less often than weekly.

So plan for this week:

BBWW:  Tu, Fri

Walk 30 minutes:  Daily

Dietary changes:  Daily

Scrub bathroom:  Mon

Vacuum:  Tue, Fri

Clean up kitchen:  Nightly

• Like 1

12%
12%

If you're walking you should totally join the walking PVP! I walked every day for my last challenge and knowing I was recording my distance in the PVP really kept me motivated. 

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell.