Spookyfoot: Baby Steps are the Only Steps

spooky

Hooray and congratulations!

Also, 1700 is a good lower limit to your calorie intake I think.

If you want to lose faster, burn more, but don't eat less than that. Also, almonds or almond butter goes a long way post workout for me. Your mileage may vary. :)

Very smart words here.

• Like 2

Race: Halfling     Class: Rebel

Recruit 1st 2nd 3rd 4th  5th 6th  7th  8th 9th 10th  11th 12th 13th  14th  15th

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

Fictionfirst Used Books (Feel free to like my page!)

Daily Inspiration: 

All streams flow to the sea

because it is lower than they are.

Humility gives it its power.

If you want to govern the people,

you must place yourself below them.

If you want to lead the people,

you must learn how to follow them.

The Master is above the people,

and no one feels oppressed.

She goes ahead of the people,

and no one feels manipulated.

The whole world is grateful to her.

Because she competes with no one,

no one can compete with her.

"But what is happiness except the simple harmony between a man and the life he leads?"

-Albert Camus

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

-Dalai Lama

When I need a bit of centering, I come to your page.

Never fails to be just what I needed to hear.

• Like 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Congratulations!!!

Thank you!!

Happy birthday!

I love aloo gobi, especially with saag. Noms.

Thanks! The aloo gobi disappeared fast, but there is saag left over for today. Nom nom nom. 

Happy birthday!

Thank you!

Happy Birthday!!!

Thank you!

• Like 1

level 21 magic cat druid, doodlie for life

sucking at something is the first step to being sort of good at something

past challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Current

(old) Battle LogBattle Log

When I need a bit of centering, I come to your page.

Never fails to be just what I needed to hear.

This makes me so happy! Daily inspiration is always one of the best parts of my day, I'm so glad that it helps you too  :D

• Like 1

Yesterday's gratitude: 

I am grateful for clean slates

I am grateful for subbing salad for fries at lunch

I am grateful for a lovely birthday

I am grateful for my friends here on Nerd Fitness

I am grateful for my sister and becoming closer with her as we got older

I am grateful for a great start to my 23rd year

• Like 4

Daily Inspiration: 

Some say that my teaching is nonsense.

Others call it lofty but impractical.
But to those who have looked inside themselves,
this nonsense makes perfect sense.
And to those who put it into practice,
this loftiness has roots that go deep.

I have just three things to teach:
simplicity, patience, compassion.
These three are your greatest treasures.
Simple in actions and in thoughts,
you return to the source of being.
Patient with both friends and enemies,
you accord with the way things are.
Compassionate toward yourself,
you reconcile all beings in the world.

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."

-Steve Jobs

"Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy."
-Dale Carnegie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."

-Anais Nin
  • Like 3

"Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy."

-Dale Carnegie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."

-Anais Nin

I really like these two. Good reminders...

Hm, have you heard about the research that says that we can change the way we think of ourselves and the world by changing our posture? I was just watching a TED talk about it the other day, and these quotes kind of remind me of it. By adopting a more confident posture, you can actually become more confident.

• Like 1

I really like these two. Good reminders...

Hm, have you heard about the research that says that we can change the way we think of ourselves and the world by changing our posture? I was just watching a TED talk about it the other day, and these quotes kind of remind me of it. By adopting a more confident posture, you can actually become more confident.

I have heard about that! I was debating making posture part of this challenge but I have so many pieces going on this time around that I felt I had to draw the line somewhere. That doesn't mean I can't do it next challenge though, or try to be mindful of it in the meantime *straightens up in chair*  :D

In a way, I'm not surprised. Just exercising and leaning to take care of myself physically has helped my confidence so I can see how posture would do something similar. Glad you like the quotes, they're good ones. I still have to be really mindful of doing over thinking if you know what I mean. From the other side of the Paper Beast, it's amazing how much time I have in the day. I need to think about my life quest this time around because I've got a lot of time to do fun things now that I've finished.  :)

Confession: 

I'm really struggling with week 3 of C25K. It's those two 3 minute running sessions. By the time I get to the last one I have to lower the speed so that I'd basically be walking if I moved my body differently. The block feels mental and physical and it's making those workouts more of a chore than something enjoyable. 

I try to remind myself this is the first time I've really made progress with running. Maybe I just need to customize the program more? The jump from week 2 to week 3 is feeling large. I'm thinking of 3x1:30 intervals and 2x2:00 intervals as almost a week 2.5.

The more I think about it the more I think pacing my progression for my body and my abilities is the better idea. I would rather stick with it and move through the program more slowly than get discouraged and give up. Maybe speed to complete the program is the enemy of progress in my case. 

• Like 1

I always think it's a good idea to modify programs to best suit your own personal needs. The programs are typically designed with the widest possible audience in mind, which means it needs to work for both people who are almost too advanced for it and people who have to work really hard to get through it. So if you need to progress slower to help your body get used to the running and build the endurance, that's nothing to be ashamed of! I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone who got through the C25K program in the recommended number of weeks, anyway. It always seems to take longer. :P

• Like 3

I always think it's a good idea to modify programs to best suit your own personal needs. The programs are typically designed with the widest possible audience in mind, which means it needs to work for both people who are almost too advanced for it and people who have to work really hard to get through it. So if you need to progress slower to help your body get used to the running and build the endurance, that's nothing to be ashamed of! I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone who got through the C25K program in the recommended number of weeks, anyway. It always seems to take longer. :tongue:

You're so right! I was doing well not judging the pace of my progress and then I got all judgey and progress stopped. There's definitely a lesson in that, one I probably should have learned from my papers where there was a similar issue being overly judgemental with myself. Thanks for the shot of sanity  :D

• Like 2

Stick with it and customize the plan for what is right for you.

Only you have to live with the results, and, as Ghandi said, there is more to life than increasing its speed.

Sent from my KFAPWA using Tapatalk

• Like 3

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

I have heard about that! I was debating making posture part of this challenge but I have so many pieces going on this time around that I felt I had to draw the line somewhere. That doesn't mean I can't do it next challenge though, or try to be mindful of it in the meantime *straightens up in chair*  :D

In a way, I'm not surprised. Just exercising and leaning to take care of myself physically has helped my confidence so I can see how posture would do something similar. Glad you like the quotes, they're good ones. I still have to be really mindful of doing over thinking if you know what I mean. From the other side of the Paper Beast, it's amazing how much time I have in the day. I need to think about my life quest this time around because I've got a lot of time to do fun things now that I've finished.  :)

This is something I've been actively working on myself. I always found that I walked stooped over, I think as an unconscious way of "hiding" being so overweight.

I find I still do it a lot, since my confidence still isn't the best, BUT when I do make an effort to straighten up, I do find I feel better about myself and more confident.  

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

I think better posture comes more naturally as a result of feeling better, happier, and healthier. After all, it's hard to be slumped over when you feel happy and energetic

• Like 2

Level 6 Druid

My Journey:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Battle Log Photo Album Character Twitter

Carry the sun inside you, and reach out for the dreams that guide you. You have everything you need to take you where you want to go. -Douglas Pagels

HI there!  your goals look amazing and so does that salad.  I also struggle with depression and  work life balance. I'm thinking of  adding your shower goal to my list of life goals, because for some reason showering is the thing that gets crossed off of my hygiene list frist even though I love being clean. Heck, it's probably BECAUSE I love being clean and my brain is mean. Anyhow, following along to cheer you on!

• Like 2

Lv 0 Leandran Ranger

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0| WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Current Challenge: Surakha Rises: The hunt for Ebon

Confession: 

I'm really struggling with week 3 of C25K. It's those two 3 minute running sessions. By the time I get to the last one I have to lower the speed so that I'd basically be walking if I moved my body differently. The block feels mental and physical and it's making those workouts more of a chore than something enjoyable. 

I try to remind myself this is the first time I've really made progress with running. Maybe I just need to customize the program more? The jump from week 2 to week 3 is feeling large. I'm thinking of 3x1:30 intervals and 2x2:00 intervals as almost a week 2.5.

The more I think about it the more I think pacing my progression for my body and my abilities is the better idea. I would rather stick with it and move through the program more slowly than get discouraged and give up. Maybe speed to complete the program is the enemy of progress in my case. 

I have experienced this  with that  very program. It is really important to customise and to take your time.  One thing I have done is to switch from running running to the elliptical trainer, then complete the workout on that for a week.  Sometimes the lower impact helps me push harder plus it gives me a little change of pace.  As long as you keep consistently working out nad doing intervals that feel challenging, you WILL get there.  Screw  other people's time lines, you do you. 

• Like 2

Lv 0 Leandran Ranger

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0| WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Current Challenge: Surakha Rises: The hunt for Ebon

Wow thanks for the feedback everyone! I attempted a shortened version of C25k week 2 today and it went much better. I went in with the mindset that any thing was better than nothing and I managed to do 5 total running segments today. I also did one circuit of the beginner body weight workout just to see what it was like. Its hard  :tongue: but that just means it's effective  :D

Today has been a mostly lazy day. It's nice to feel that my time is my own. I went to therapy this afternoon and it was good. My therapist, J, got visibly excited when I said I had finished my papers  :D.

Serious time: 

I've been practicing interacting with other humans in real life, and it's going better. J's office is in a large office building and there are two psychologists offices and waiting room. So there is someone who has the same appointment time as me but goes to the other therapist. Anyways I used to not talk to him and just read but recently we've starting talking. When we first started talking he said something really insightful- that everyone he'd ever seen in therapists offices looked ashamed to be there. Which is what I had been doing. So I resolved that I would smile at the other people in the waiting room and talk and interact because I WILL NOT be ashamed of taking care of my mental health. And the other people are really nice!

*steps off soapbox*

Anyways that realization resonated with what you all told me about taking the running at whatever pace I needed to. If it works for me then it works, do it and move on. No need to judge my pace  ^_^

• Like 6

I resolved that I would smile at the other people in the waiting room and talk and interact because I WILL NOT be ashamed of taking care of my mental health. And the other people are really nice!

*steps off soapbox*

Heck yes! I have been in therapy sine I was 17, and always will be in therapy, thank you very much.

It's the people in the waiting room who are taking care of their mental health, and those who aren't are the one who should be ashamed. :)

• Like 4

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

yesterday's gratitude (note to self: post this before going to sleep, I want to be grateful the day things happen, not the day after the fact) 

I am grateful for lazy days

I am grateful for pushing myself

I am grateful for the courage to try again

I am grateful for making the time to work on myself every week in therapy

I am grateful for committing to the therapy process- two years without missing a session

I am grateful for valuing my own happiness

I am grateful for learning and re-learning self compassion

I am grateful that each day I have a chance to start again

• Like 2

Daily Inspiration: 

The best athlete
wants his opponent at his best.
The best general
enters the mind of his enemy.
The best businessman
serves the communal good.
The best leader
follows the will of the people.

All of them embody
the virtue of non-competition.
Not that they don't love to compete,
but they do it in the spirit of play.
In this they are like children
and in harmony with the Tao.

"Trust in what you love, continue to do it, and it will take you where you need to go."

-Natalie Goldberg

"He who does not trust enough, Will not be trusted."

-Lao Tzu
  • Like 2

Can't wait to hear about the smiles that everyone returns to you the next time you head into the waiting room!

You're a brave person Spookyfoot, proud to know you.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

Can't wait to hear about the smiles that everyone returns to you the next time you head into the waiting room!

You're a brave person Spookyfoot, proud to know you.

Wow this is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me! Thank you so much petefeet, I'm proud to know you too. I admire your persistence and ingenuity! I may have to put this on my positivity wall but first I have to make a positivity wall  ^_^. This made my day  :D

• Like 3

Yes, a positivity wall needs to be in your life!

I love your posts.

They center me, inspire me, and are all around wonderful.

Sent from my KFAPWA using Tapatalk

• Like 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid