Spookyfoot: Baby Steps are the Only Steps

spooky

Don't know why I hadn't popped by here yet to say hey!

I love your daily gratitute & inspriation quotes.  I'm glad I'm here now so I can get a daily dose :) Also that chocolate bar challenge is such a good idea.  Cadbury chocolate definitely rules them all.

You're totally killing it so far this challenge!  Errr... or maybe something more druid-y and less kill-y. You're doing a great job! :D Hahah

• Like 4

Don't know why I hadn't popped by here yet to say hey!

I love your daily gratitute & inspriation quotes.  I'm glad I'm here now so I can get a daily dose :) Also that chocolate bar challenge is such a good idea.  Cadbury chocolate definitely rules them all.

You're totally killing it so far this challenge!  Errr... or maybe something more druid-y and less kill-y. You're doing a great job! :D Hahah

Hey hi hello! I'm very glad you're here too  :D! Thanks for the kind words, they were a wonderful way to start my day  :D.

Cadbury chocolate is my best friend and worst enemy so of course it's the perfect way to teach myself moderation. So far so good on that front. 

Your last sentence made me laugh. I'l do my best to keep druid-y killing this challenge  :D

• Like 2

level 21 magic cat druid, doodlie for life

sucking at something is the first step to being sort of good at something

past challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Current

(old) Battle LogBattle Log

Hahaha, you made me think of those rpgs where you play as a kid and the game is like "they fainted" (Pokemon) or "they returned to normal" (Earthbound).

• Like 3

Level 6 Druid

My Journey:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Battle Log Photo Album Character Twitter

Carry the sun inside you, and reach out for the dreams that guide you. You have everything you need to take you where you want to go. -Douglas Pagels

Daily Inspiration:

The Tao is always at ease.
It overcomes without competing,
answers without speaking a word,
arrives without being summoned,
accomplishes without a plan.

Its net covers the whole universe.
And though its meshes are wide,
it doesn't let a thing slip through.

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated."

-Confucius

"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all, in which case you have failed by default."

-J. K. Rowling

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery."

-James Joyce

"Fear keeps us focused on the past or worried about the future. If we can acknowledge our fear, we can realize that right now we are okay. Right now, today, we are still alive, and our bodies are working marvelously. Our eyes can still see the beautiful sky. Our ears can still hear the voices of our loved ones."
-Thich Nhat Hanh

• Like 2

I had some thoughts today that I wanted to share with you all: 

First, I propose an amendment to the so-called golden rule "treat others the way you would like to be treated," the second part should be "and then treat yourself that way too" 

Second: I deliberately sabotaged myself by not taking a shower on day 1 of this challenge. Now wait a second, you may be saying, self sabotage is what you're trying to get away from. And you would be right. Except in this case I chose not to shower because it automatically docked me one potential point for this challenge. Without that point I cannot attain a "perfect" score, and that in itself is the real point. That old adage that perfection is the enemy of progress. I did not want trying to be "perfect" to get in the way of making an effort. So I let that point go, knowing that I would still try my best today and tomorrow. I do not need a perfect score to know that I had a successful challenge. And that is the real win. 

Third: I am going to start adding quotes from around these boards to my daily inspiration, you all are as much a part of it as James Joyce or Confucius. Probably even more so. So thank you all for being a constant inspiration. You will be part of my daily posts from now on. 

• Like 6

Wow, so much insight and love going on in that post.

Definitely yes to adding "and treat yourself that way too." I struggle mightily with perfection and with negative self talk. If anyone ever spoke to a friend of mine the way I speak to myself, I would kick her butt down the block without hesitation or apology. And I need to remember to treat myself as the friend, too.

I love the less-than-perfect route. I can attest to the inadvertent pressure that a perfect score carries, especially around week 4. It's harsh, and you are wise to wiggle the numbers ahead of time.

And well done on taking the wisdom from the boards! I love that idea, since these threads keep me sane (or as sane as I can be).

Sent from my KFAPWA using Tapatalk

• Like 2

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Good Morning! I had to wake up early this morning to get my car serviced. There was a recall on the front passenger side airbag seat mat sensor (geeze what a mouthful) on 2005-2008 mini coopers. We got a letter in the mail yesterday and got right on top of it by making an appointment for today.

Even though we called yesterday and they said they had the part, when I got there and they got started on the car the mechanic comes back and tells me they don't have the part in stock....  :angry:. However I was completely zen about the whole thing and just laughed it off, saying at least I got an awesome free cappuccino from the fancy schmancy coffee machine they have at the dealership. I have to go back tomorrow morning but whatever at least I get another free cappuccino. I'm very proud of being able to laugh it off and see the positive free coffee side of things. 

Then on the way home I listened to some awesome music. First was Le Tigre's Let's Run 

then was Fleetwood Mac's Don't Stop 

I have such a soft spot for Fleetwood Mac, my old voice teacher used to tell my voice reminded her of Stevie Nicks  :D

Then I got caught in traffic going off an exit ramp but instead of getting frustrated and annoyed I choose to groove in my car instead to this song

Legit dancing in my car to this song and it was awesome, such a great beat (song is Standing In This Dream by My Dear) If you want a dance party play this song. Some great lyrics too!

Finally the last song of my car ride was this song, which has always really spoken to me as a great song about what it's like to feel depressed and anxious but with an amazing bass line

(song is If I Ever Feel Better by Phoenix) 

So anyways I will be doing yesterday's gratitude and today's inspiration right after this but I am super proud of myself for turning shit into sugar this morning :D

• Like 3

Yesterday's Gratitude: 

I am grateful for trading perfection for progress

I am grateful for becoming my own best friend

I am grateful for tea after dinner to help curb snacking impulses

I am grateful for meditation outside listening to the sound of birds

I am grateful for failing to have lunch yesterday and not beating myself up about it

I am grateful for everyone here who listens to me and helps me become a better person every day

• Like 4

Good Morning! I had to wake up early this morning to get my car serviced. There was a recall on the front passenger side seat airbag seat mat sensor (geeze what a mouthful) on 2005-2008 mini coopers. We got a letter in the mail yesterday and got right on top of it by making an appointment for today.

Then on the way home I listened to some awesome music. First was Le Tigre's Let's Run 

then was Fleetwood Mac's Don't Stop 

I have such a soft spot for Fleetwood Mac, my old voice teacher used to tell my voice reminded her of Stevie Nicks  :D

Ah, car recalls. I used to get them every 2-3 months for my old Potniac. I had problems with the tumblers (my car would get stuck in the starter and refuse to shut off) that took two special orders and one massive recall before it got fixed. Hopefully they'll get your car fix quickly.

I love Fleetwood Mac! My mom and I would crack up the volume and blast "The Chain."  :)

• Like 1

Level 6 Druid

My Journey:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Battle Log Photo Album Character Twitter

Carry the sun inside you, and reach out for the dreams that guide you. You have everything you need to take you where you want to go. -Douglas Pagels

Daily Inspiration: 

If you realize that all things change,
there is nothing you will try to hold on to.
If you aren't afraid of dying,
there is nothing you can't achieve.

Trying to control the future
is like trying to take the master carpenter's place.
When you handle the master carpenter's tools,
chances are that you'll cut your hand.

“The feeling of a good decision lasts much longer than the fleeting deliciousness of a bad one." - CarismaUMD

"I'm working more on my attitude and on being comfortable being soft and not hard or harsh. it's not easy, even though I know it takes a whole lot of energy to sustain the big bad energy of taking care of everything all the time for everyone. Rest is good. Walks are good to remind me to walk away from things that are frustrating, because usually i'm making them far more complicated than they need to be." -Heidi

"There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will."

-Epictetus

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace."

-Ernie Banks
  • Like 2

I love Fleetwood Mac! My mom and I would crack up the volume and blast "The Chain."  :)

AHHHH THE CHAIN I love love love The Chain. And also "Gold Dust Woman", and basically just the whole Rumours album! Also on my way to the dealership as I was playing "Dreams" it started raining right when Stevie Nicks was singing "thunder only happens when it's raining" and it felt like the universe and I were one. 

• Like 2

Wow, so much insight and love going on in that post.

Definitely yes to adding "and treat yourself that way too." I struggle mightily with perfection and with negative self talk. If anyone ever spoke to a friend of mine the way I speak to myself, I would kick her butt down the block without hesitation or apology. And I need to remember to treat myself as the friend, too.

I love the less-than-perfect route. I can attest to the inadvertent pressure that a perfect score carries, especially around week 4. It's harsh, and you are wise to wiggle the numbers ahead of time.

And well done on taking the wisdom from the boards! I love that idea, since these threads keep me sane (or as sane as I can be).

This is exactly the way I feel. You are awesome for just "getting" it  :love_heart: And you are awesome for lots of other things as well.

• Like 1

Yesterday's Gratitude: 

I am grateful for trading perfection for progress

I am grateful for becoming my own best friend

I am grateful for tea after dinner to help curb snacking impulses

I am grateful for meditation outside listening to the sound of birds

I am grateful for failing to have lunch yesterday and not beating myself up about it

I am grateful for everyone here who listens to me and helps me become a better person every day

I love that you do this!  Also, I love tea and I love the idea of making it night time ritual, so thanks for the idea!

Daily Inspiration: 

“The feeling of a good decision lasts much longer than the fleeting deliciousness of a bad one." - CarismaUMD

"I'm working more on my attitude and on being comfortable being soft and not hard or harsh. it's not easy, even though I know it takes a whole lot of energy to sustain the big bad energy of taking care of everything all the time for everyone. Rest is good. Walks are good to remind me to walk away from things that are frustrating, because usually i'm making them far more complicated than they need to be." -Heidi

"There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will."

-Epictetus

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace."

-Ernie Banks

You are too sweet!  Thank you for the compliment.  You are so profound yourself, I feel honored.  Also, I love that you quoted Ernie Banks, love him!  

Daily Inspiration: 

If you realize that all things change,

there is nothing you will try to hold on to.

If you aren't afraid of dying,

there is nothing you can't achieve.

Trying to control the future

is like trying to take the master carpenter's place.

When you handle the master carpenter's tools,

chances are that you'll cut your hand.

This right here is just amazing.  

• Like 2

CC

Level 3 Ranger

STR 2.5 | STA 4.1 | DEX 2.25 | CON 7.6 | WIS 7.4 | CHA 2.03

Current Challenge: on hiatus

Previous Challenges: Ranger June 8-July 19, 2015Recruit April 13-May 25, 2015

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity"

-Abraham Lincoln

I love that you do this!  Also, I love tea and I love the idea of making it night time ritual, so thanks for the idea!

I am loving it so much, and I'm glad you are too! Yes for tea after dinner! Nighttime snacking was a huge problem for me for so long and I found a substitutive change easier than a subtractive change if that makes sense.

You are too sweet!  Thank you for the compliment.  You are so profound yourself, I feel honored.  Also, I love that you quoted Ernie Banks, love him!  

You're welcome! Actually it was that quote from you that inspired me to start adding quotes from around these boards to my daily inspiration so thank YOU  :love_heart:. Ernie Banks is awesome, I love finding wisdom from all different kinds of people, it brings me closer to unity instead of depression based isolation. 

This right here is just amazing.  

YES! I just love the Tao Te Ching, I actually have two different copies, each a different translation. It's amazing what you can get out it it. When I make my epic quest post I know that reading the Tao in the original characters will be one of my goals. 

• Like 2

Fleetwook Mac!! <3 I was basically raised on Stevie Nicks. While other parents would sing their children to sleep with normal lullabies, my mom would sing me to sleep with Highway Man and Landslide hahah.

Your mom is awesome!!!!!!

• Like 1

YES! I just love the Tao Te Ching, I actually have two different copies, each a different translation. It's amazing what you can get out it it. When I make my epic quest post I know that reading the Tao in the original characters will be one of my goals. 

You had me at Tao Te Ching. <3

My favorite book ever; when I was a kid my Taekwondo instructor would read us a different passage every night after class.  Of course it was a specific translation and many years later I managed to visit a lot of Barnes & Nobles to hunt it down! XD I think my favorite chapter is #50, but there are a lot I love.

• Like 2

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

It was a great day and great week for music. I randomly got to listen to a selection of favorites this week that I haven't heard in forever: Eurythmics, the cars, Stevie Nicks, Billy Joel, Men At Work - just great stuff that took me to great places. Behold, the transformative power of music. :)

Great work with your attitude today. Have a good star to go with your cuppa tonight. :)

• Like 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

You had me at Tao Te Ching. <3

My favorite book ever; when I was a kid my Taekwondo instructor would read us a different passage every night after class.  Of course it was a specific translation and many years later I managed to visit a lot of Barnes & Nobles to hunt it down! XD I think my favorite chapter is #50, but there are a lot I love.

YES YES YES! So glad you are here :love_heart: !!Your Taekwondo instructor sounds awesome. Also I feel so lucky that I found one of my copies of the Tao at a goodwill bookstore after hearing of your epic hunt! Which translation do you have?

Just subbed. Better late than never!

YAY! So happy to have you here!  :love_heart:

I love that all your goals are so positive and mindful. Sometimes I get caught up in just the "doing" of things. It's nice to remember to reflect.

Thank you so much! I'll be honest and admit I am envious that you can get caught up in the "doing" part of things, I will learn much from you :love_heart:

It was a great day and great week for music. I randomly got to listen to a selection of favorites this week that I haven't heard in forever: Eurythmics, the cars, Stevie Nicks, Billy Joel, Men At Work - just great stuff that took me to great places. Behold, the transformative power of music. :)

Great work with your attitude today. Have a good star to go with your cuppa tonight. :)

Wow that does sound like a great day for music! I love how music can access our emotions, you are so right to say it's transformative. After a good groove I feel so much better. Thank you for all your kind words and the gold star, I will sip my tea tonight with a smile  :love_heart:

• Like 1

Had a great therapy session today. I have made major progress with the process of returning from Medical Leave. After this morning's car interlude I returned home and walked for 20 minutes.

Then I got to work: emailed my dean, called the college's counseling center, sent an email to the head psycologist there to set up a phone appointment, and basked in the glow of NOT procrastinating on what I needed to do. I am so proud of myself for just doing it, getting the process underway and not getting caught up in thinking.

The whole process took about ten minutes. A year ago, or even three months ago, I would have dragged the whole process out for several days but today I just did it. Then walked for another 30 minutes and meditated for 40 minutes. Serious self pride today y'all! I have made progress! 

• Like 6

Woot!

• Like 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

An addendum: I interacted with other humans today too! I had a nice conversation in the therapy waiting room, complemented a random guy on his Game of Thrones shirt, and had the valet in the medical building tell me I am his favorite customer! I think it's because I bring them brownies and banana bread sometimes. It has been a good day, and there is still more to come.

• Like 2