Becks follows the Three Hunters from Isengard to Helm's Deep

I've been offline  for a bit now... travel  + sister's wedding last weekend, it's been a moderate disaster. 

I got to go to Oregon CrossFit our first day in Bend, and the next day was scheduled to run in the morning. My last shot at a long training run before the 1/2 marathon this weekend. 1.5 miles in, the knees started hurting... the tightness in the quads and hammies rendering me virtually useless. 4.5mi wog (walk/jog) on the Deschutes river, it was beautiful but disappointing. Sunday was the wedding, I had painful gut issues in the morning that kept me from OD'ing on cake, etc in the afternoon. 

20150627 070520

This frequent stiffness flare-up is a serious problem and getting miserable. By the time the workout is over, I finally feel warmed up enough to work out.  I was so frustrated about it yesterday at CrossFit, and ended up giving myself a bit of a dressing-down. When M starts complaining about something, I tell him he has 2 options: do something about it, or embrace it. Sitting around feeling sorry for yourself is not an option. Well, I'm not about to embrace muscle sitffness and give up all the activities I love (IE, running), so I'm doing something about it (M smiled when I told him that). Targeted mobility throughout the day + more water + better nutrition, especially in the minerals department. My sister had a similar problem playing soccer back in high school and her doctor actually recommended sports drinks or a magnesium+potassium supplement. 

Turns out I won't be running the half marathon Sunday :(

Despite a fairly harmless 4th of July and not OD'ing on cake last Sunday, I'm still not totally on the Zone wagon at the moment. Sunday was the Women's World Cup with a pub food binge that flowed into yesterday. Fortunately there's not much junk food in the house so it could have been much worse. Today was better, but we're going out for my sister's bf's birthday dinner is tonight and there won't be a chance to work out. I'm actually finding it easier to maintain when I'm travelling than when at home! 

Speaking of travel, I'm out of town the next 2 weeks Monday-Thursday. ooofda. 

tl;dr - I've fallen off the wagon for the past week and a half, having some struggles. french has been dropped, but is to be resumed. Stepping back on the health wagon. 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

How is your French? I'd love someone to practice with, if you're at that point :)

If you're talking to me, I must admit my French is rusty at best and rudimentary at worst.  Give me a couple of weeks to recover some of the basics I've lost over the years and I'd love to get in some communicating!

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

If you're talking to me, I must admit my French is rusty at best and rudimentary at worst.  Give me a couple of weeks to recover some of the basics I've lost over the years and I'd love to get in some communicating!

It was really a general shoutout to anyone who wants to practice! I've got a combination of Duolingo + growing up in Canada and the mandatory French classes, so I'm definitely better at reading than writing/speaking, since I won't remember a word for something until I see it, then it's like "oh ya, that's a word!". Although there's also the fact that Quebecois doesn't always equate to Français, which causes me difficulties sometimes..

tumblr_inline_nee26qF5FY1snj4h8.gif

• Like 1

Despite a fairly harmless 4th of July and not OD'ing on cake last Sunday, I'm still not totally on the Zone wagon at the moment. Sunday was the Women's World Cup with a pub food binge that flowed into yesterday. Fortunately there's not much junk food in the house so it could have been much worse. Today was better, but we're going out for my sister's bf's birthday dinner is tonight and there won't be a chance to work out. I'm actually finding it easier to maintain when I'm travelling than when at home! 

Speaking of travel, I'm out of town the next 2 weeks Monday-Thursday. ooofda. 

tl;dr - I've fallen off the wagon for the past week and a half, having some struggles. french has been dropped, but is to be resumed. Stepping back on the health wagon. 

Beautiful picture. And you've been hiking a lot, so you escaped a narrow point. And yes! Health wagon has stairs where you can step back on, and off, and on again. Talking about strong hamstring muscles... :D

It was really a general shoutout to anyone who wants to practice! I've got a combination of Duolingo + growing up in Canada and the mandatory French classes, so I'm definitely better at reading than writing/speaking, since I won't remember a word for something until I see it, then it's like "oh ya, that's a word!". Although there's also the fact that Quebecois doesn't always equate to Français, which causes me difficulties sometimes..

tumblr_inline_nee26qF5FY1snj4h8.gif

My Francais is based entirely on the contributions of my mandatory French classes.  But it seems like a waste not to build upon that foundation before attempting a new language.  I'm looking forward to attempting some basic vernacular when I'm in Belgium for a beer festival in September.

In other news, 'tabarnac' is my favorite Quebecism.

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Wow, I was totally absent the last week of this challenge. I was thinking about ya'll in cyberspace on a daily basis, but such is the void between intention and action. On one hand, I made some significant progress towards the end. Other stuff just fell apart. I certainly didn't earn a "level up" on this challenge. 

In summary:

Goals: 

• Mobility! I didn't get this done every day, but probably 70%. I re-discovered yoga, and now am wondering why I ever let it go! There's nothing quite like yoga+lacrosse ball+foam roller for a half hour a day. My CF coach is also helping me get some weird hip stuff in order, and our box now has a MWod account (that I really need to start using!!)
  • Zone - wow, this was a fail. The first 2 weeks went well, getting into that groove while travelling. The next few weeks of being home + sister's wedding + holidays was a complete failure. On the flip side, I weighed in at #136.2 Sunday morning and feeling strong still, so I guess I'm on track there. 
  • French - probably 40%. I really need to get conversational so I can become more interactive with francophones. Nothing motivates me like the desire to communicate with new friends!

Other stuff (because really, I've gotten a lot done in the past 7 weeks!)

• My boyfriend is officially moved in (yes, our parents know). AND we built a storage shelf for his work gear (chainsaws, rope, etc) in the garage, AND got the bulk of our "junk boxes" cleaned up!! We have a garage!!
  • Sister's wedding is DONE. We pulled of chaos control.
  • It's been hard to WOD regularly with my travel schedule, but I'm home for the next few weeks and rearing to go. In the meantime, I've been walking as much as possible
  • Runner's knee warnings were months ago (sore knees on pistols? red flag!), and I didn't do enough to stop it. The good news is that my history of IT band blowouts and PF pain in both knees has taught me how to start from 0 and rebuild. 
  • 2 weeks ago + Friday we worked on snatches at CF. Mine still aren't heavy, aren't pretty, but they're feeling and looking better. Goal: full hip extension, don't pre-engage the shrug, get under the bar fast

tumblr_nla2poGHXD1qdjo2ho1_400.gif

• Like 1

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs