So this challenge I'm focusing on two elements I relate strongly to: earth and water. It's kind of unintentionally gone Avatar-style as well because Korra and Toph are my inspirations for getting back to what I was once capable of. I miss my old beast!mode self, even though I appreciate the softer, kinder side of my personality that's gotten the entirely of my attention lately.

Water - Observe and Heal

tumblr_ncjtcpUKDd1tzcrlco1_500.gif

I need to sit back, chill, and observe and reflect on myself if I'm going to learn anything. I'm keeping a daily journal that includes bullet-point notes on what I've eaten, how I feel physically and mentally, and if I've done anything noteworthy. I have memory issues sometimes so writing things down allows me to remember and analyze patterns.

My legs and feet have been suffering lately so I'm going to work stretching and using a tennis ball on the bottom of my feet into my daily routine to get them back into shape.

Earth - Go HARD

tumblr_navg4lzz9u1tzcrlco1_500.gif

I've created an excel document where I'm tracking my daily exercises. Every single day I must do at LEAST one push-up (any kind), one squat, and jumping jacks. High numbers would be great but this is an exercise in discipline and habit-building.

I also want to walk between 5k-7k steps per day, as work has been making that more difficult again.

Extras

As my own personal mini-quest I'd like to finish four books between now and the end of the challenge. I can read a book a day so I have no excuses for this one.

My friends and I are participating in our own personal "30 Characters in June" challenge, even though we started late. My goal is to have 30 new character designs created by July 1st!

I'll try to update here more frequently than in other challenges and share successes that aren't part of the main quest as well.

• Like 1

Level 4 Assassin 

Hufflepuff House

Sunlit Embraces Earth and Sea - Current Challenge

WELL I'm glad we hadn't started yet because I got mildly sick this weekend (something was going around K's workplace, which got them sick, which got ME kinda sick but I killed it early by sleeping about twelve hours Saturday night).

Reviewing my goals and trying to figure out the best ways to track them for easy assessment. I should probably do weekly reviews to see how I'm doing.

My problem lately has been some plantar fasciitis and really tight Achilles tendons so I've begun a stretching routine at work and home to help with that and it seems to be working. I wanna go for long walks without pain again!!

Thankfully I've got a week to get everything in order and prepared for a successful challenge.

Level 4 Assassin 

Hufflepuff House

You might want to check out the upcoming Assassin's Mini Challenge:  Nerdwarts School of Assassincraft and Ninjary!!  it's focusing on basic moves (push/pull/legs/core) and if it's anything like the last mini challenge it's going to be super fun.  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/66200-mini-challenge-nerdwarts-school-of-assassincraft-ninjary/ I've already signed up - can't wait!!!

Thanks for visiting my challenge page yesterday.  Yes, I love my nerdy pen/paper journal pages.  If you want some ideas, look at my previous challenges (in my signature line) and you'll see lots of examples.  This one is probably my favorite because I did some journaling in addition to recording.

WP_20150524_005.jpg

• Like 1

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

I'll probably be tidying up my goals this weekend as I figure out what's working and what isn't. I'm not as mentally organized as I'd like to be for this challenge.

Also for the month of June my friends and I are each drawing 30 character designs so that'll become part of my challenge. I started late but I can manage one or two a day. Once I'm off my phone I'll probably share some of those!

Level 4 Assassin 

Hufflepuff House

Aaaaaa I was completely incapacitated on Saturday by one of the scariest migraines I've had in forever. From about noon to 9pm with a small break in the middle I felt like someone was shoving an ice pick into my eye and the top of my head and my neck and upper back went completely stiff too. It was really scary and I ended up having to take my anxiety meds since it tried to trigger a panic attack on top of it all.

I've had residual pain in my left eye yesterday and a little this morning but it seems to be okay now. I didn't get the chance to work on my goals but I'll be exchanging planks for jumping jacks on my daily exercises for three reasons:

1) I need more cardio-ish thing omg

2) I want to be able to do all my exercises at work if necessary

3) Elbow planks are covered in my mini so I'm still doing them!

I'll take measurements when I get home today, clean up my intro post, and away we go!!

Level 4 Assassin 

Hufflepuff House

Migraines suck so much--I totally feel your pain. Good luck with getting on track for your challenge!

SpiralGalaxy, Level 9 Halfling Elf Assassin
STR 17|DEX 13|STA 20|CON 13|WIS 21|CHA 15
Electromagnetics Engineer, Freelance sci-fi critic in Maryland

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." 

Migraines suck so much--I totally feel your pain. Good luck with getting on track for your challenge!

Thanks!! I'm just thankful I dong have chronic migraines like my roommate does. They seriously get them near daily and have just learned to deal with and accept the pain since they were about 12. I can't imagine getting USED to that madness and going around like it's normal.

Part of me wishes I were doing more with this challenge but I also know I shouldn't overcommit.

Level 4 Assassin 

Hufflepuff House

Started out this challenge well! Just need to do some stretching before bed and I'll have finished all of my daily goals!

Also here's the official Day One of my 30 character design challenge! I have three more designs waiting for completion and I hope I can catch up from my late start!

CGsthyiUcAA5Q24.png

• Like 2

Level 4 Assassin 

Hufflepuff House

Good start, and awesome drawing. Go you!

SpiralGalaxy, Level 9 Halfling Elf Assassin
STR 17|DEX 13|STA 20|CON 13|WIS 21|CHA 15
Electromagnetics Engineer, Freelance sci-fi critic in Maryland

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." 

On track for the challenge goals so far! Also yesterday I went for what was probably the first intentional run of my life. I've always been walking or rollerblading but I never learned how to actually run and figured I didn't want to anyway.

Well, I tried it. After a long day of work I took the dog out, got changed, and went for a mile run on our walking track despite it being 92F and humid (thanks Florida). One mile in twelve and a half minutes.

I learned that it's hard but not as hard as I thought, I don't heel!stomp as much as I do while walking, and I really need to get new headphones because these kept coming out or twisting around in the socket and making my music start and stop. I also need higher, thicker socks and a few more pairs of shorts.

On an unrelated and less awesome note, recently I've been really concerned about my weight gain. I spent the majority of my life being skinny and topped out at 115lbs until the second half of my senior year of college. Three years out of college, I'm suddenly 160lbs without having any huge changes to my habits. I had some rough patches but the only huge and lasting change was the transition to working in an office. I used to never be able to gain weight and now I'm exercising and cutting calories and I keep putting more weight ON. It's really concerning and if I can't get it to stall or go back down by the end of this challenge, I'm seeing a doctor and getting my bloodwork done.

Level 4 Assassin 

Hufflepuff House

Boo migranes :( I got one of those a couple weeks ago. I can't imagine getting used to them either. 

Re: weight gain, have you done any weightlifting? I have a friend who was in a similar boat and she didn't start losing any weight until she started lifting. 

Also yay running! A mile in 12:30 is actually really good for a first intentional run ever. Especially in that kind of heat/humidity, jeez!

Level 8 Asura Warrior

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 [10]

Boo migranes :( I got one of those a couple weeks ago. I can't imagine getting used to them either. 

Re: weight gain, have you done any weightlifting? I have a friend who was in a similar boat and she didn't start losing any weight until she started lifting. 

Also yay running! A mile in 12:30 is actually really good for a first intentional run ever. Especially in that kind of heat/humidity, jeez!

Thankfully I'm used to the Florida heat so I can get a little further in it than people from out of state. Good to know my time isn't too terrible! I'll work on improving it now :)

I'd LOVE to do weightlifting but I have no idea where to start and I'm kind of nervous about going to one of the two gyms near me (an LA Fitness and a crossfit gym). I tried contacting the crossfit gym last challenge to try it out but they never responded and I'm having a hard time getting up the nerves to contact them again. However, I did find a yoga place near me that has classes for COMPLETE beginners so I'm trying to convince my friends to go with me. If not, I'm going to go on my own!

On Friday I finished two designs for my challenge but I went swimming with a friend and when I came home, there had been a blackout and I lost my completely finished third day. Below is the oni!lady I did earlier that day, a half-finished one from work, and a cafe!scribble I'm counting as another design. 

CHU9WcEUAAA1Qbx.png

CGsFhS4XAAAaIoZ.jpg

CHaJgQHWgAAGMvd.jpg

• Like 1

Level 4 Assassin 

Hufflepuff House

Quick Week 1 Summary:

Daily exercises: 5/7 days complete. Only missed jumping jacks one day (forgot) and didn't do anything on Saturday.

Journaling: 5.5/7 days. Didn't finish Wednesday's entry.

Steps: 3/7 days above 5000 steps, 33900/35000 total steps.

Assassin Mini:

Incline Push-Ups: from 6 to 10 (now 11 on Monday!)

Door Pulls: from 10 to 15 (now 20 on Monday!!)

Squats: ankle is acting up a lot this week so no testing

Elbow Plank: from 45 seconds to 60 seconds

Overall I'm doing pretty well. This weekend my weight dropped down to 159 but was back at 161 this morning so idk what happened there.

Cleaned up the front part of my room last night so I don't have to look at the dusty pile of clothes I'm sorting for donation anymore. Swiffered my floors and got rid of a lot of dust. Painted my nails afterwards.

• Like 2

Level 4 Assassin 

Hufflepuff House

Love your goals. I see with the boys and I walking now that to reach anywhere near 5K steps is a lot of walking! You did great and where very close to 35K.

I can so relate with power outages! That is South Africa's bane at the moment. We pretty much always save any work (drawing, games, etc.), and I am teaching the boys that if they are drawing/playing on the computer, they have to save every couple of minutes if it isn't set to autosave.

Good luck with week 2 :loyal:

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

Quick Week 1 Summary:

Daily exercises: 5/7 days complete. Only missed jumping jacks one day (forgot) and didn't do anything on Saturday.

Journaling: 5.5/7 days. Didn't finish Wednesday's entry.

Steps: 3/7 days above 5000 steps, 33900/35000 total steps.

Assassin Mini:

Incline Push-Ups: from 6 to 10 (now 11 on Monday!)

Door Pulls: from 10 to 15 (now 20 on Monday!!)

Squats: ankle is acting up a lot this week so no testing

Elbow Plank: from 45 seconds to 60 seconds

Overall I'm doing pretty well. This weekend my weight dropped down to 159 but was back at 161 this morning so idk what happened there.

Cleaned up the front part of my room last night so I don't have to look at the dusty pile of clothes I'm sorting for donation anymore. Swiffered my floors and got rid of a lot of dust. Painted my nails afterwards.

Love love love all the work you're doing here, and the rapid progress!  Booo to the scale, but what do they know anyway.  Maybe that coupla extra pounds was ALL MUSCLE!!

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

Love your goals. I see with the boys and I walking now that to reach anywhere near 5K steps is a lot of walking! You did great and where very close to 35K.

I can so relate with power outages! That is South Africa's bane at the moment. We pretty much always save any work (drawing, games, etc.), and I am teaching the boys that if they are drawing/playing on the computer, they have to save every couple of minutes if it isn't set to autosave.

Good luck with week 2 :loyal:

Thank you!! The walking is kind of hard because I spend a good 9.5 or more hours a day at my work desk or commuting in my car. Unless I go for a long walk afterwards, I won't hit my goals. But lately it's been 97F and humid and I really really don't want to go outside. This isn't even the hottest part of the year!! I'm not looking forward to August :(

I thought I had saved my work (it even had a file name!) but I guess it didn't. We weren't due for any storms and none happened when we were gone so idk what happened there. I'll be more careful from now on!

Thanks for checking in :)

• Like 1

Level 4 Assassin 

Hufflepuff House

Love love love all the work you're doing here, and the rapid progress! Booo to the scale, but what do they know anyway. Maybe that coupla extra pounds was ALL MUSCLE!!

Somehow I really doubt it. In the last challenge, my scale said I was 35% bodyfat and this morning it says 39%!! Yikes!! It's one of those Fitbit scales so I don't know how accurate it is. I also lurched up another pound and a half overnight despite not eating a ton. It seems like no matter what/how little I eat and how much I exercise, I'm steadily gaining weight. It's kind of concerning :(

Oh well, I'll give it till the end of this challenge and try even harder from here on! If it's still doing this, I should get my bloodwork done because thyroid problems run in my family.

• Like 1

Level 4 Assassin 

Hufflepuff House

Somehow I really doubt it. In the last challenge, my scale said I was 35% bodyfat and this morning it says 39%!! Yikes!! It's one of those Fitbit scales so I don't know how accurate it is. I also lurched up another pound and a half overnight despite not eating a ton. It seems like no matter what/how little I eat and how much I exercise, I'm steadily gaining weight. It's kind of concerning :(

Oh well, I'll give it till the end of this challenge and try even harder from here on! If it's still doing this, I should get my bloodwork done because thyroid problems run in my family.

You've got heat and humidity, while we are hiding away from cold winds trying to blow us away!

Also check the amount of water you drink. I found if I drank too little or too much, my body stored water. I do well with one bottle (+- 750ml) a day, excluding my 2,3 big mugs of coffee and rooibos (herbal) tea. Another thing that I found since we stopped eating gluten, the moment I get gluten in, my body "stores" water, I become bloated and weigh almost 1-2kg more! But then people's bodies are different and have different reactions, so tests are probably the prudent thing to do.

You've got heat and humidity, while we are hiding away from cold winds trying to blow us away!

Also check the amount of water you drink. I found if I drank too little or too much, my body stored water. I do well with one bottle (+- 750ml) a day, excluding my 2,3 big mugs of coffee and rooibos (herbal) tea. Another thing that I found since we stopped eating gluten, the moment I get gluten in, my body "stores" water, I become bloated and weigh almost 1-2kg more! But then people's bodies are different and have different reactions, so tests are probably the prudent thing to do.

Thanks for the advice! I drink about 6-8 little mugs of water a day so I'll mess around with that to see how that affects things.

I've been meaning to try no grains/gluten for a while but sometimes it's hard to avoid because I've been terrible with my planning lately. I'll see if I can manage it for a week or so! I might be able to start today....

• Like 1

Level 4 Assassin 

Hufflepuff House

I did some misc aduting and scheduled a doctor's appointment with a new primary for the 23rd. I'll also likely have bloodwork done at the lab down the street right afterwards. I'll be alone, I'm afraid of needles, and I've never had my blood drawn before so I'm internally screaming a little.

Oh well, at least I have a primary nearby again.

• Like 1

Level 4 Assassin 

Hufflepuff House

I did some misc aduting and scheduled a doctor's appointment with a new primary for the 23rd. I'll also likely have bloodwork done at the lab down the street right afterwards. I'll be alone, I'm afraid of needles, and I've never had my blood drawn before so I'm internally screaming a little.

Oh well, at least I have a primary nearby again.

It will go well! Will pray for you. :loyal:

• Like 1

How is your journaling going?

I kind of fell off the wagon this week but am picking it up again today! Remembering to do it is sometimes tough but I need to just put time aside and do it! I wasn't having the greatest week in regards to mental health so a lot of things fell by the wayside.

Competed in the minis but sadly I wasn't able to help my fellow Hufflepuffs at all. At least I did more than I thought I was capable of!

Spent yesterday with my parents moving furniture and now I have a bunch of extra stuff they wanted to get out of their house and into mine. Time to unpack and sort through everything they gave to me now.

• Like 2

Level 4 Assassin 

Hufflepuff House