• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SevenFootGeek

SevenFootGeek is waiting for the drop

First, let me put this here.  

I listened to perhaps half a dozen edits of this song before I found the one that's too my liking.  It has the tone, the beat, and the message I'm looking for.

I'm there for you

You're there for me

That's how it is

When we believe that

We are the ones we belong to

I just lost my grandmother this past weekend and I didn't want to finish putting up a challenge.  My mother was also extremely ill just the week before that.  How much time did SFG want to spend on himself?  None.

Then I had an intense conversation with my sister before my grandma's wake and I was reminded how much more there is. 

We are the ones

Who want to make a better place

We are the ones

Who do believe in the human race

We are the ones

Who want to shape their better days

I'm going to keep this simple.  I'm planning a trip to Philadelphia at the end of the month and I want to be able to transport my goals with me.

Hapkido

My grading partner had a moderate shoulder injury so he's out of commission for a time.  This gives me more time to polish my 2nd degree techniques.  I'm pretty happy with my sword and kicking techniques as those were not up to the quality that I had desired a year ago.  With some dedicated effort, I feel confident about their condition now.  I'm less confident about my joint locking techniques.  Some jerkface reminded me of the roots of my art in our shared parentage.  I spent so much time focusing on my striking that I have neglected my locks.  2nd degree test involves directional joint locks, basically being able to direct an opponent to any angle with any one of our joint locks up to and beyond 360 degrees.  There are some harmonizing movements that I can do and my master is clearly happy enough with it that he wants me to grade, but I feel that I need some more polish.  So let's do it!

Continue attending class a minimum of 2 times per week.  While in Philadelphia, this obviously isn't going to happen at my school, but I'm looking into visiting one of the local hapkido schools (there are 3!) to check them out while we're there.

Body Weight work

Once upon a time, I did a "push up every day" challenge.  Got myself up to a steady 50 a day.  That made me very happy to do.  I felt stronger.  It gave my days focus.  And also made my shoulders pop a lot.  So why not do that again as something simple that I can try to sustain.

Week 1 and 2:  20 push ups and lunges per day

Week 3 and 4:  35 push ups and lunges per day

Week 5 and 6:  Big ole 50 a day

Meditate

Does it look like I'm just lifting things directly out of sarakingdom's suggestions?  I don't know what you're talking about.

I have been sad at losing my habit of meditation.  It used to be part of my routine.  Well, I can make it part of it again.

Meditate for five minutes every day.

Happiness

Ha!  You thought this was going to be about food, didn't you!  Ha!

Am I happy?  Right now, that's a definite no.  It's not because of where my life is, or my relationship, or my family, or my friends.  I'm just generally dissatisfied with "me".  The big change I have is that I feel like I should be.  So what am I happy about?  What makes me feel grateful to have?  Here's my accountability to myself and my nerds.  I need to talk more about the things that make me happy.  It's not just nerds and hapkido (but those are two things).  All the little things piled together make a big thing.

Write about my happiness.  At minimum, once a week.

Setting up camp to wait for the Seven Foot Challenge.

tumblr_inline_nmka4dKjqM1t02drd_500.gif

Anybody bring any marshmallows? I'm sure we could paleo some out of bone broth and stevia...

• Like 3

If you've been following me, you know my mom's been pretty sick.  And while she's doing better, I just found out today that my 90 year old grandma has a perforated bowel.  I wanted to get a challenge up this week, but things may not work out that way.

I can do that for you, man.  While family members are sick, you will: 1) get seven hours of sleep a night, 2) do two minutes of meditation a day, 3) eat three meals a day, and 4) try to go to at least one class a week if you're home.  Done.

• Like 3

Hapkido

My grading partner had a moderate shoulder injury so he's out of commission for a time.  This gives me more time to polish my 2nd degree techniques.  I'm pretty happy with my sword and kicking techniques as those were not up to the quality that I had desired a year ago.  With some dedicated effort, I feel confident about their condition now.  I'm less confident about my joint locking techniques.  Some jerkface reminded me of the roots of my art in our shared parentage.  I spent so much time focusing on my striking that I have neglected my locks.  2nd degree test involves directional joint locks, basically being able to direct an opponent to any angle with any one of our joint locks up to and beyond 360 degrees.  There are some harmonizing movements that I can do and my master is clearly happy enough with it that he wants me to grade, but I feel that I need some more polish.  So let's do it!

Continue attending class a minimum of 2 times per week.  While in Philadelphia, this obviously isn't going to happen at my school, but I'm looking into visiting one of the local hapkido schools (there are 3!) to check them out while we're there.

The Jerkface requires video of you directionally moving people to compare to his art.

That is all.

The Jerkface requires video of you directionally moving people to compare to his art.

That is all.

Watch your demonstration video.  Reduce the size of the circles about 75%.  Break something at the end.

Hey man, sorry to hear about your Grandma. That sucks, and I'm sorry.

Everything looks short, simple, and to the point. Very good, then.