• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SevenFootGeek

SevenFootGeek is waiting for the drop

Hugs 7F.

I like that you're looking forward.  It's always so much easier to look back, and I suck at even remotely thinking about looking forward, so I give you big props.   I also love your happiness goal, because lately I've been swinging clubs at gnawing gloomy thoughts.   I shall be stalking in your shadow on this one my friend.    

Don't worry, my shadow is as small as I am, you won't notice a thing.

Just chillin' here.    Thinking good thoughts for you guys.   Sending textual hugs and love.

Because that's how I roll yo.

giphy.gif

gugYbsl.gif

Ugh...  Disney princesses?  What did I ever do to you?

Week 1 has been sucky so far.  I started late, but I was determined.  Woke up Wednesday morning with a throat infection.  I am prone to them, having had several over the past year and they just destroy me.  I got to the doc on Thursday and fortunately the meds started to deal with the problem pretty quickly.  Downside is that I get pretty severe side effects.  My energy levels have been in the toilet and I've just generally felt unwell.  

I made it to class on Thursday and ran only a mild kicking class.  After a paltry 500 kicks, I was just wrecked.  Today was another class and we were working on hip throwing.  Throwing is a weakness of our style.  We need the practice.  It's a thing.  I can't manage to remain stable enough at the bottom with the extreme drop I need to get below a normal human's center of gravity.  Suffice to say, hip throws are not my favourite thing in the world.  All I manage to accomplish today was to give my quads a heavy workout.  I'd just as soon shatter a person's clavicle and knee than throw them.  But I still need the practice.

I made it to class on Thursday and ran only a mild kicking class.  After a paltry 500 kicks, I was just wrecked.  Today was another class and we were working on hip throwing.  Throwing is a weakness of our style.  We need the practice.  It's a thing.  I can't manage to remain stable enough at the bottom with the extreme drop I need to get below a normal human's center of gravity.  Suffice to say, hip throws are not my favourite thing in the world.  All I manage to accomplish today was to give my quads a heavy workout.  I'd just as soon shatter a person's clavicle and knee than throw them.  But I still need the practice.

If I have a hard time with hip throws for being tall, you must have an absolute miserable time with them.  I wish I had suggestions, but I really haven't gotten much besides "Really good ankle and knee mobility" for dropping your center lower than your inevitably shorter partner.

(As an aside, this is why I like some of aikido's arm locking-based throws - they utilize my height much more effectively, and don't require quite as much effort on my part.)

Oi.

You're the last thread on the second page.  Literally the last one.

Stop being The Worst and update us on your terrible existence.

Also when your exam will be so I can plan for that.

Sorry about your grandma. That's really rough. Hope your mom is feeling better.

On another note, I live 40 min outside Philly. When are you here? Probably already missed it sadly... If not, we're having a nerdy game night at my buddy's tonight if you're up for the drive.

Hugs from above! Seriously, how often will I ever get to say that in regard to you? But it's a legit statement because I am posting these hugs from 33,000 feet. Which is like, totally above even you.

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuugs.

• Like 1

atent-dead.jpg

I'm also not challenging very well this time around.

June was a pretty bad month.  I was trying to use the challenge to give myself a leg up and prevent the continuation of my depressive episode, buuuuut... we all saw how well that turned out.

Due to my wife's school schedule, we haven't made a trip to Philly yet, which is kind of sad.  We're looking at August now, so that'll be a later challenge kind of issue.

I'm still training for my 2nd degree and I've gotten good news that a) my grading partner who was injured is officially out for the rest of the summer and B) I can have observers from outside the club at the grading.  My partner has healed, but he's heavily involved in the local rugby scene and practices are on the same days as hapkido.  So he's not getting any training done.  So my grand master told me not to worry about him and pick my date.  Yay!  There have also been noises from some people about coming for a visit to see my grading.  I have official permission that those visitors are welcome to attend if travel can be arranged accordingly.

Moving forward, I've got a lot to keep up on.  I learned a new kick and it screwed up my adductors for about a week.  But a very powerful kick that's going to be a useful tool in my arsenal.  Just more things to practice.

July is being affectionately referred to as "hell month" around here.  My wife's course has hit its stride for the last semester, and she has assignments, preceptorships and full time employment to deal with.  Stress levels are high in my house.  I need to work extra hard not to fall into my funks and also to keep up with my exercise and training.

Food hasn't been great.  Sleep hasn't been great.  Meditation hasn't happened.  Push ups haven't happened.  Happiness has been evasive.  Still some work to do in this place.

There have also been noises from some people about coming for a visit to see my grading.  I have official permission that those visitors are welcome to attend if travel can be arranged accordingly.

Who the hell would want to visit you?  Weirdos.

So when's the grading date?

Well, sorry to say, but the work isn't going anywhere unless you get it done. Starting will be hard, but continuing after will not be.

It's a good day to start again.

I have also been slacking on meditation.  And have lately really needed it.  If you want a meditation buddy, pick a time during the day, and we will meditate.