ninjakitten - purrific quest

This actually does make a huge difference. I hike a lot, and trail blaze occasionally...and almost always regret it. They're definitely there for a reason and would probably have helped with a lot of the little discomforts.

But seriously AWESOME JOB hiking!! It's the best.

I agree but nothing beats being able to go your own way and see things others don't, or at least from another angle, as long as you don't do and unnecessary damage along the way.  To you or the environment.

• Like 2

A true warrior does not train tirelessly to fight, or to kill. A true warrior trains endlessly that he may return home alive.
-R. Calloway

Maybe the ultimate wound is the one that makes you miss the war you got it in.
- Sebastian Junger

Challenge 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Battle Log

Doodlie PVP Johari Window

Epic Quest Character 

This actually does make a huge difference. I hike a lot, and trail blaze occasionally...and almost always regret it. They're definitely there for a reason and would probably have helped with a lot of the little discomforts.

But seriously AWESOME JOB hiking!! It's the best.

I love hiking in new areas! You get to see so much,,, I can't say I truly regret it. It was a great experience except for limping a bit on the way home. (No pun intended. :D)

I agree but nothing beats being able to go your own way and see things others don't, or at least from another angle, as long as you don't do and unnecessary damage along the way.  To you or the environment.

It is quite a different experience indeed. Also I sometimes prefer not meeting any people. Even though that might be a silly reason, but being on your own can be quite nice at times. 

• Like 1

I love hiking in new areas! You get to see so much,,, I can't say I truly regret it. It was a great experience except for limping a bit on the way home. (No pun intended. :D)

It is quite a different experience indeed. Also I sometimes prefer not meeting any people. Even though that might be a silly reason, but being on your own can be quite nice at times. 

I am lucky enough to have so much hiking around me that I almost never go to the same place twice, so I'm sure I would feel totally differently if I was going back to the same area over and over again.  I'd be trail blazing all over the place to see new things!

I feel you on the people though.  Sometimes I'll be in the woods all happy in my one with nature-ing, and BAM a group of people come by.  Cue polite smiling and saying hi.  So annoying.  That sounds terrible now that I reread it... but it's so true!

• Like 1

I think not meeting other people is a perfectly acceptable reason

• Like 3

A true warrior does not train tirelessly to fight, or to kill. A true warrior trains endlessly that he may return home alive.
-R. Calloway

- Sebastian Junger

Battle Log

Epic Quest Character 

Day 1, Week 3

SXF08xW.gif

New week, all new adventure! Or kind of. It started off well, though. I drank almost 3 liter, had just 1 snack (even though ice cream might not be an ideal choice), and decided to do cardio today (nooo!). I still don't enjoy it too much and I thought getting done with it on early in the week might be awesome. Today it was 45 minutes on the treadmill and an audiobook (thanks for the idea Autumn!). The audiobook was awful, though, need to pick a better one. I promised myself I get to play some video game tonight if I get that cardio session done, but then paperwork for my job got in the way. I always put it off until the last minute - and strictly speaking the last minute would have been this morning, so... I am an expert procrastinator now. Hence no video games - but it did feel quite good to finally get it over with. 

• Like 4

I am lucky enough to have so much hiking around me that I almost never go to the same place twice, so I'm sure I would feel totally differently if I was going back to the same area over and over again.  I'd be trail blazing all over the place to see new things!

I feel you on the people though.  Sometimes I'll be in the woods all happy in my one with nature-ing, and BAM a group of people come by.  Cue polite smiling and saying hi.  So annoying.  That sounds terrible now that I reread it... but it's so true!

Well this weekend we were in an all new place, so any trail would have been ok, too. It just was a quite touristy area. So those trails were quite crowded. The area where I go hiking at home is pretty huge, but I often end up walking the same paths anyway. For example there's a mire nearby and I love that area. 

I don't think I even bother with smiling and polite greetings at times. I just stare at them all grumpy and let them know their existence annoys me. :P:D Maybe not quite as bad, but sometimes it is definitely just a nod and I walk on without any more pleasantries. 

I think not meeting other people is a perfectly acceptable reason

There are days when all people suck and being alone in some forest is the better option indeed. :D 

• Like 3

There are days when all people suck and being alone in some forest is the better option indeed. :D

You say that like it's only sometimes.  My general rule is people suck, the small group of exceptions to the rule are why I haven't run away to live in a forest until I some day get mistaken for Sasquatch... Yet

• Like 3

-R. Calloway

- Sebastian Junger

Battle Log

Epic Quest Character 

:D

High speed internet is what keeps me rooted in civilisation. 

My husband and I definitely agree! The only reason we don't live in the middle of nowhere where no one can find us is because we require high speed internet and good restaurants for those nights I don't want to cook! Otherwise we would be very happy not having to see anyone for weeks (or more)!

Hmm. So I seem to be a tactless hermit. It's possible those two characteristics are related. Maybe if I wasn't so tactless, I wouldn't have to be a hermit. Or if I wasn't a hermit, I wouldn't be so tactless. It could go either way.

It sounds like you had a fun weekend even if you did end up sore. I'm really going to have to look for some nice places to walk and hike around here. I'm not writing off the park near here yet, I still haven't gotten another chance to explore it. But if it doesn't work, I'm going to look for some other places.

I'm sorry you didn't get to your video games tonight, but at least you got your paperwork and cardio done. You're doing great on your challenge! Keep it up!

• Like 1

Battle Log

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fitbit, Epic Quest Character

If you are a law abiding citizen you can usually borrow lots of audiobooks at the local library.
if you are more of a pirate/ninja there are... other... ways of getting hand on a bigger variety.

If you like history then " the teaching company" have Extremely good audiobooks lectures on a huge variety of topics.
If you like learning say... french? "Pimsleur" have pretty good language courses.

I always listen to different kinds of audiobooks when i am running or walking somewhere.

• Like 1

Level 2 (Not-So)Lazy Ogre

STR: 7.4 | DEX: 1.4 | STA: 3.3 | CON: 3.7 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 0

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/66837-a-viking-is-starting-a-journey/

My husband and I definitely agree! The only reason we don't live in the middle of nowhere where no one can find us is because we require high speed internet and good restaurants for those nights I don't want to cook! Otherwise we would be very happy not having to see anyone for weeks (or more)!

Hmm. So I seem to be a tactless hermit. It's possible those two characteristics are related. Maybe if I wasn't so tactless, I wouldn't have to be a hermit. Or if I wasn't a hermit, I wouldn't be so tactless. It could go either way.

It sounds like you had a fun weekend even if you did end up sore. I'm really going to have to look for some nice places to walk and hike around here. I'm not writing off the park near here yet, I still haven't gotten another chance to explore it. But if it doesn't work, I'm going to look for some other places.

Oh restaurants are another good reason! But mostly it's the high speed internet... :D Tactless hermit could describe me as well at times. Eh, but which came first is a tough call indeed. 

The weekend was fun overall. And despite not doing the usual things I was quite active. I managed quite a bit over 10000 steps each day - without the hike. Lots of sightseeing and helping my friend carry some of her new furniture and all that. Having some interesting places to go hiking is definitely a huge help when it comes to motivation. Hope you'll find some nice routes in your area.

Ah, I am quite glad I finally got it done. Now I can spend most of the evening playing today without worrying about the work I didn't do yet. :)

If you are a law abiding citizen you can usually borrow lots of audiobooks at the local library.

if you are more of a pirate/ninja there are... other... ways of getting hand on a bigger variety.

If you like history then " the teaching company" have Extremely good audiobooks lectures on a huge variety of topics.

If you like learning say... french? "Pimsleur" have pretty good language courses.

I always listen to different kinds of audiobooks when i am running or walking somewhere.

Hm, I am of course a law abiding ninja.  :nonchalance::D I will see. I don't even know what I want to listen to though.

The Teaching Company sounds great, though. Thanks a lot for the tips! I tried Pimsleur before. It does work well enough for some basics for me, but there is a good chance I'd fall asleep. It was the voice I think?! (I tried the Italian one, did you try one of their courses?) I usually listen to music, but it may have happened before that I spent as much time on creating a playlist as I did with the actual workout.  :redface-new:

• Like 1

What do you have when you go out to eat? Is it hard to keep the healthy eating going? I went out for dinner this weekend and was really happy that I could swap my chips for cauliflower cheese :D They went really well with the paprika chicken and ribs ;)

• Like 1

Level 2 Bear Assassin

STR 4 | CON 6 | DEX 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 1

Current ChallengeFirst Challenge

Drop 7 inches from Hips - 2/7

29%
29%

Drop 11 inches from Waist - 2/11

18%
18%

Day 2, Week 3

UtcI6ECl.jpg

Second day already over again. But I was soooo lazy. I managed to drink 2.5 liter and just had 1 snack, but I hardly moved. At all. Except to get the snack. And I walked to my workplace today, but then I do that most days anyway so it doesn't really count. A super early rest day, but I usually don't like that. Having to do something for the rest of the week feels like pressure (hence usually Saturday or Sunday tend to be my rest days). Not that it makes much sense... 

But I did try a new recipe: a chicken stir-fry with pak choi. Not bad at all. Maybe anything with ginger, garlic and chili is good.

What do you have when you go out to eat? Is it hard to keep the healthy eating going? I went out for dinner this weekend and was really happy that I could swap my chips for cauliflower cheese :D They went really well with the paprika chicken and ribs ;)

I often still try to avoid it. Otherwise there are just two options I follow and it depends a lot on what kind of occasion it is.... if it is something special I just don't give a fuck and eat whatever I want. But if I am traveling or something similar and it's not really this one exception, I try to opt for sort of healthy choices and smaller portions. Portions you get in restaurants tend to be much bigger than what I'd get at home and while leaving food is sort of difficult for me,... I still do it. That took some effort, though. Otherwise I often go for meat (a steak or something) with vegetables as a side - ideally steamed, but I don't find these too often. I don't eat that much meat at home, but in restaurants the alternatives often seem worse. Or for lunch possibly salads or soups. I bet there is still a lot room to improve, but that is way better already than what I used to do. :D

I don't think I am anywhere close to picking cauliflower anything over chips, though. So respect for that! :D

• Like 2

Oh I forgot the most important part! My own mini challenge for tomorrow. I was in such a hurry during work today and usually that leads to grumpiness and I can be a real ass. As I already know tomorrow will be hectic, too... my challenge within the challenge for tomorrow is: to be friendly. That's much harder for me than it should be when I'm stressed. :D We'll see how that goes, I'll let you know tomorrow. Unless I fail - in that case I might just pretend this never happened. :tongue::D

And the oddest thing that happened to me today: I was out in the fields for a bit and it started raining, so I ran back to the car and passed a field with some cows. They all lined up at the road and watched me skeptically?! I know my running style is bad, but surely not that awful?  :nevreness:

• Like 5

my challenge within the challenge for tomorrow is: to be friendly

I have enough trouble with this sometimes I can certainly see how it could be a challenge, i may even have to steal it for next week :)  

And are you sure the cows weren't staring in awe instead of judgement?  

• Like 1

Level 1 Thing-a-ma-bob

STR : 0 | STA: 0 | DEX: 0 | CON: 0 | CHA: 0 | WIS: 0

Challenge: 1

It sounds like you had a pretty active weekend so maybe you needed an early rest day. You still did well with everything else, so I wouldn't worry about it. I do know what you mean about the pressure though, I'm already feeling antsy because I haven't done my life challenge yet this week and have no idea what to do yet. 

Hmm...judgmental cows. Maybe they aren't used to seeing anyone run anymore, and were just surprised that you didn't walk past staring at your smartphone like most people!

• Like 1

Battle Log

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fitbit, Epic Quest Character

but then I do that most days anyway so it doesn't really count.

Totally counts for something!!

A super early rest day, but I usually don't like that. Having to do something for the rest of the week feels like pressure (hence usually Saturday or Sunday tend to be my rest days). Not that it makes much sense... 

I know what you mean with this. I try to get my workouts done in the week so I don't have to the weekend, but weeks 1 and 2 I started late as Monday is actually a day off for me. This week I did Monday and was supposed to do this morning but I faffed around too long and didn't have time so it will have to be tomorrow when I am not at work, which will be much nicer. Until I have to do saturday morning before work and I'm sure future me will be cursing past me for making him have to do it then!!

Sometimes it's good to have an early rest day. Sometimes you just need it. I actually was trying to catch up from doing the workouts late last week, so I have only had a days rest between the last 4 workouts. Maybe this was a good time to have a 2 day rest before carrying on.

• Like 1

Level 2 Bear Assassin

STR 4 | CON 6 | DEX 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 1

Current ChallengeFirst Challenge

Drop 7 inches from Hips - 2/7

29%
29%

Drop 11 inches from Waist - 2/11

18%
18%

Oh I forgot the most important part! My own mini challenge for tomorrow. I was in such a hurry during work today and usually that leads to grumpiness and I can be a real ass. As I already know tomorrow will be hectic, too... my challenge within the challenge for tomorrow is: to be friendly. That's much harder for me than it should be when I'm stressed. :D We'll see how that goes, I'll let you know tomorrow. Unless I fail - in that case I might just pretend this never happened. :tongue::D

And the oddest thing that happened to me today: I was out in the fields for a bit and it started raining, so I ran back to the car and passed a field with some cows. They all lined up at the road and watched me skeptically?! I know my running style is bad, but surely not that awful?  :nevreness:

Good luck in staving off the grump demons!  They can indeed be quite formidable foes!

Hehehe.  That bit about the skeptical cows just cracked me up.  Our neighbors out here used to have cows that would always escape the fence and come hang out on our porch.  So it was my job to go out there  and shoo them away (literally waving my hands at them and yelling "Shoo!  Shoo!"), and we could always tell whose cows they were by how they reacted.  One set would shuffle off double quick, which, if you've ever seen such an awkward lumbering thing try to make a graceful dodge, was quite funny.  The others would just look at me like I was a cow patty and go back to what they were doing.

• Like 1

Level 2 Orc Adventurer

Strength: 3 Dexterity: 1Stamina: 3Constitution: 3  |  Wisdom: 3Charisma: 1

Previous Quest | Current Quest Starting Stats Current Stats

Day 1, Week 3

Today it was 45 minutes on the treadmill and an audiobook (thanks for the idea Autumn!). The audiobook was awful, though, need to pick a better one.

45 minutes! Woot woot!  I'm glad the audiobook helped, but yeah. A good one makes all the difference. I say though, if you still HATE it even with a good audiobook, try anything else. The hiking is AWESOME, and you clearly love it. What else do you love to do?

Cows are like town gossips. They're always milling around talking about things,and rudely staring. Like, who are you staring at cow? I'm not the one chewing with her mouth open!

I hope you are having a great day! :D

• Like 1

Cows are like town gossips. They're always milling around talking about things,and rudely staring. Like, who are you staring at cow? I'm not the one chewing with her mouth open!

When they stare at me I always just assume they are judging me for all their relatives I have eat over the years.

• Like 3

-R. Calloway

- Sebastian Junger

Battle Log

Epic Quest Character 

Ah, I had to split all those answers up because too many emoticons. Maybe I overdo it. Emoticon diet... a possible part of the next challenge.  :nightmare:  

Just popping in to say that you are part of the motivation behind... getting my ass back here and finishing this challenge.  So thanks. :)

And, because pirate theme... ;)

Of course pirates are awesome! :D I should have known that's a real selling point and done that right from the start! (But finding new sort of fitting pictures is getting tough.  :nightmare:)

It's awesome you're back! Not pressuring you to post all regular and that... but you can pop in here every day and tell me I was all fabulous.  :nonchalance: (Especially if I wasn't!!!!)

I have enough trouble with this sometimes I can certainly see how it could be a challenge, i may even have to steal it for next week :)

And are you sure the cows weren't staring in awe instead of judgement?  

It was a REAL challenge! I cannot wait for writing the update. I mucked up in the most retarded way! BUT it would have been worse usually. So almost a success? Steal everything you like that isn't sparkly. :D

Those judgemental cows! You have no idea! In awe... as if... apart from that, when they really want they can be kind of fast, too. I don't think they were all that impressed.

It sounds like you had a pretty active weekend so maybe you needed an early rest day. You still did well with everything else, so I wouldn't worry about it. I do know what you mean about the pressure though, I'm already feeling antsy because I haven't done my life challenge yet this week and have no idea what to do yet. 

Hmm...judgmental cows. Maybe they aren't used to seeing anyone run anymore, and were just surprised that you didn't walk past staring at your smartphone like most people!

The voice of reason. :) That might be true actually, I didn't think about that. I didn't do much of the usual things (like yoga class), but I was way more active otherwise. Possibly I was just tired. But I still feel this pressure now. Do all the things all of the days or you f- up. Ah well, I suppose it cannot be helped. I do what I manage and we will see how that turns out. 

I bet they are super bored in that area. There is NOTHING there. (That's why I like going to that place. It's all quiet except for some birds and those cows.) 

I know what you mean with this. I try to get my workouts done in the week so I don't have to the weekend, but weeks 1 and 2 I started late as Monday is actually a day off for me. This week I did Monday and was supposed to do this morning but I faffed around too long and didn't have time so it will have to be tomorrow when I am not at work, which will be much nicer. Until I have to do saturday morning before work and I'm sure future me will be cursing past me for making him have to do it then!!

Sometimes it's good to have an early rest day. Sometimes you just need it. I actually was trying to catch up from doing the workouts late last week, so I have only had a days rest between the last 4 workouts. Maybe this was a good time to have a 2 day rest before carrying on.

I don't like it when my routine is messed up in general. It's stressful. It requires more thinking - and honestly, who wants to bother with that.  :redface-new: But honestly, the routine helps me stay on track. Everything that doesn't work out as planned does take much more willpower and sucks. But now I had an early rest day and have to deal with it... still don't have to like it, right? But it's good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't enjoy messed up routines. 

• Like 2

Good luck in staving off the grump demons!  They can indeed be quite formidable foes!

Hehehe.  That bit about the skeptical cows just cracked me up.  Our neighbors out here used to have cows that would always escape the fence and come hang out on our porch.  So it was my job to go out there  and shoo them away (literally waving my hands at them and yelling "Shoo!  Shoo!"), and we could always tell whose cows they were by how they reacted.  One set would shuffle off double quick, which, if you've ever seen such an awkward lumbering thing try to make a graceful dodge, was quite funny.  The others would just look at me like I was a cow patty and go back to what they were doing.

They are formidable foes! I didn't do all that well I am afraid, but trying is a start at least right? 

Cows are ridiculous and cute and tasty. I really like them in a way, but it is still hard to not... eat them.  :nevreness:  (No worries, I don't eat everything I like in some way.) I still remember we had rented this house in Denmark for our holidays and the cows nearby (galloways! I love the way they look) watched us having breakfast outside every day. But then I fed every animal when I was a kid, so the chance that half of my breakfast would end up with them was pretty high... could have been the reason they did that. 

45 minutes! Woot woot!  I'm glad the audiobook helped, but yeah. A good one makes all the difference. I say though, if you still HATE it even with a good audiobook, try anything else. The hiking is AWESOME, and you clearly love it. What else do you love to do?

I hope you are having a great day!  :D

Nah, I think the idea is great! I will just have to try again with an AWESOME audio book. The things I'm currently interested in reading aren't available as audio books, I had been hoping to pick up one of those. That's what you get for having a poor taste in literature.  :D Nah, but it was non-fiction and related to linguistics. I suppose it's a bit of a niche. 

Town gossips is pretty good as far as comparison goes. Some time ago there were all these news about cows having best friends and being stressed when seperated from them. I never read the original research, but I hope it for once wasn't all blown out of proportion, I like the idea. 

That skeleton screen grab made me laugh. I may have to try an audio book the next time I walk [emoji1]

I don't remember why I used it. I wanted to write something related but... oh wait! It was about my gym fee and going there so rarely.  :D I thought about quiting vs. going more often. I still cannot decide. Quite a bit of the fee is paid by my employer, but still I use it so rarely... hm.

Listening to an audio book was great for a change. I'll definitely do it again. Also it doesn't mess up my pace as much as poorly chosen music. 

When they stare at me I always just assume they are judging me for all their relatives I have eat over the years.

:nightmare:  You think they know? Maybe I shouldn't have worn my leather jacket. Uh. 

• Like 3

:nightmare:  You think they know? Maybe I shouldn't have worn my leather jacket. Uh. 

It's best to wear your leather jacket, shows dominance.

• Like 2

-R. Calloway

- Sebastian Junger

Battle Log

Epic Quest Character