ninjakitten - purrific quest

Day 1 + 2, Week 4

TYhzn8jl.jpg

Week 4 already, I cannot believe it! So the first 2 days went pretty well. I did a bodyweight workout and today some cardio! (This time trying to learn Italian at the same time, that was ok actually. And I felt SO productive. Doing ALL THE THINGS at once.) I drank close to 3 liter on both days, which is ridiculously easy lately because it is just way too warm. Then 2 snacks on Monday and one snack today. I feel a bit better about it all again to be honest, I don't why I was so negative about it all last week. 

It's vacation time for me soon and I wonder what workouts to do then. I thought about just opting for swimming. It seems the easiest solution considering there is a huge pool. But I already know if there are too many people around and I have to do some kind of slalom I'll probably stop early on. :nevreness:  (Ew, other people nearby. The horror. But seriously, not when I'm swimming...) Bodyweight workouts are an alternative I suppose. Hm. 

I still need to do the challenges, too.  :nightmare:  :D It's good to give it some thought though. Both wrapping up the first three weeks and figuring out why my biggest problem (snacking) is still more difficult after three weeks, than I thought it would be by now. 

• Like 4

So glad things are going better for you this week! About the snacking, if it's a long time habit it's sometimes harder to break those, the only way to beat it is persistent effort, which is exactly what you're doing. I struggle with snacking too, but I honestly think you're doing great! Keep it up, you are doing great things  :)

• Like 1

level 21 magic cat druid, doodlie for life

sucking at something is the first step to being sort of good at something

past challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Current

(old) Battle LogBattle Log

Day 3, Week 4

rGL2dqOl.jpg

I think I finally managed to catch up with most people! YAY! I won't manage the mini challenges today either though. It was so warm and I came home and thought I'll just take a nap. Big mistake. :D I slept for 3 hours. So everything started way later than planned. The bodyweight workout, meals and all. But it did help me with the snacking. No snacks today, I slept through the time I usually have one, haha.

(Does anyone else still manage to move around so much in their sleep that they wake up with their head in the foot section of their bed? Hm.) 

Drank around 3 liter again, it is just way too warm, there is no way to not drink enough these days I think. After driving in a car without air conditioning for a bit, I was sure I'll be medium rare by the time I get out. I don't know how I ever managed to get used to this back in the days. 

• Like 3

So glad things are going better for you this week! About the snacking, if it's a long time habit it's sometimes harder to break those, the only way to beat it is persistent effort, which is exactly what you're doing. I struggle with snacking too, but I honestly think you're doing great! Keep it up, you are doing great things  :)

Thank you so much!!!! I bet that's true. It is a long time habit. Actually, I'd say I'm a bit like a cow most days... non stop grazing. Actually my parents used to make fun of me being like my pet bunnies (they need constant access to food -e.g. hay I suppose- for their digestion to work properly if I remember correctly, so the comparison was a bit off... :D

Great job on week 4! If you're going to be doing any sightseeing on vacation, you could count the walking as a workout. Or maybe find a specific area that is nice for walking and make a point of spending a little time there when you can.

Hm, I don't think there will be much sightseeing. Going on vacations with the wrong people for these activities. I definitely love going for walks on the beach, though. Maybe they're up for that. Or I can go alone. There is a good chance I need some time away from people at some point. Thanks for the great ideas. 

• Like 2

Thank you so much!!!! I bet that's true. It is a long time habit. Actually, I'd say I'm a bit like a cow most days... non stop grazing. Actually my parents used to make fun of me being like my pet bunnies (they need constant access to food -e.g. hay I suppose- for their digestion to work properly if I remember correctly, so the comparison was a bit off... :D

Hm, I don't think there will be much sightseeing. Going on vacations with the wrong people for these activities. I definitely love going for walks on the beach, though. Maybe they're up for that. Or I can go alone. There is a good chance I need some time away from people at some point. Thanks for the great ideas. 

I am definitely a grazer as well. I had to restrict myself to a certain number of meals and snacks per day, otherwise I'd be snacking all day long! Maybe those cows you saw the other day knew you were a kindred spirit  :tongue:

Time away from other people on vacation is a good thing! A walk on the beach sounds absolutely lovely! Hope you enjoy your trip! 

• Like 1

I have a planned snack everyday so it is part of my eating program. It is often something like 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, 1 1/2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, and 1 1/2 tbsp dried goji berries. Other times it's an Epic bar or a bit of beef jerky.

For me, planning a snack that fits my daily macro goals works well.

• Like 1

Barbarian Assassin / Level 5

STR: 16.5 | DEX: 4.8 | STA: 8.9 | CON: 8.7 | WIS: 6.6 | CHA: 6.8

My Current Six Week Challenge - Jrosto - A Barbarian Cleans Up His Act

Previous Challenges - #1, #2, #3, #4

My NF Introduction Post : My MDA Journal : My MDA Phase 1 Success Story

Simple & Sinister Workout Log

Keep Calm and Send in the Penguins!

My solution to snacking was to increase the amount of food in my main meals so I don't need the snacks. It's still hard to stop myself grabbing something from the kitchen out of habit, especially when watching TV. So I built up a collection of interesting teas and make myself a cup of tea to sit down with instead of a snack (herbal teas when the caffeine builds up too much).

I'm a terribly mobile sleeper, I've never ended up completely upside down, but after sleeping under a pile of blankets I'll often find them all separated and thrown in different directions.

• Like 1

2017: Year of the Epic Travel Adventure

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Current challenge - Metallica Theme

Previous: 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Battle log/inspiration thread

Right now I'm working on replacing about half  my snacks with fruit and the other half with tea instead of tea and something. :)

I sometimes end up sideways on the bed and blankets on the floor on opposite sides. Only managed completely turned around once. 

• Like 1

Day 4, Week 4 (Yesterday's Update - D'oh)

NFXnIFUl.jpg

So I return to you all one year older (strictly speaking just a day, but I hope you don't care for the details too much) and maybe a bit wiser - but mostly older. No actually just older. Despite all that, yesterday went pretty well. I went out for a hike in the morning (just a bit over 1h, then it got too warm). I honestly didn't move much for the rest of the day. I just tried really hard not to melt into a puddle of pathetic self-pity. I don't like summer. Why does relocating to the North sound like such an awesome idea during this time of the year. It did help me drink enough water, though. A bit over 3 liter. And two snacks. I think that was ok considering all the tempting stuff we had around. Another postive thing about the heat, I usually don't crave anything sweet. 

So, mini challenge 3!

1. Pinpoint the quest in your journey that is giving you the most uphill (or one that you're struggling to achieve)

As I pointed out before, it is definitely the part about reducing the number of snacks I consume. Definitely a grazer. As spookyfoot said... those cows I saw a few days before probably just recognised a kindred spirit. :D

2. Search through NF (forums or articles) to find one that is able to offer some assistance

What I thought helped me most was (re)reading this very basic article on forming habits. It's not anything new in a way. But it reminded me how much these basics help - if you actually apply them.

3. Apply it to your challenge (no collecting underpants here).

I planned to start tracking again during the next challenge (or inbetween challenges). But for this one I'll try to identify (and write down) in which situations I usually have snacks. Maybe I'll see some new patterns (except boredom and social situations). 

• Like 2

I am definitely a grazer as well. I had to restrict myself to a certain number of meals and snacks per day, otherwise I'd be snacking all day long! Maybe those cows you saw the other day knew you were a kindred spirit  :tongue:

Time away from other people on vacation is a good thing! A walk on the beach sounds absolutely lovely! Hope you enjoy your trip! 

Thanks! It starts after this weekend! We'll see how I do with the challenge then. Kindred spirits indeed! I've recently seen them again rolling around in the dirt and seemingly annoyed by the sun and heat. :D

I can snack all the time, too. Food is just that awesome. Restricting myself usually works to some degree. But it is incredibly hard. I just thought it would get easier along the way I suppose. But I'll work on it.

I have a planned snack everyday so it is part of my eating program. It is often something like 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, 1 1/2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, and 1 1/2 tbsp dried goji berries. Other times it's an Epic bar or a bit of beef jerky.

For me, planning a snack that fits my daily macro goals works well.

Thank you! :) Planned snacks always worked sort of ok for me when I was tracking my food, but atm I don't. I'll remember it for the next challenge, though. Or at least try to. :D If it was something I liked, I was actually looking forward to those snacks, too. And didn't feel bad about snacking then... so yes, definitely something to consider doing again.

My solution to snacking was to increase the amount of food in my main meals so I don't need the snacks. It's still hard to stop myself grabbing something from the kitchen out of habit, especially when watching TV. So I built up a collection of interesting teas and make myself a cup of tea to sit down with instead of a snack (herbal teas when the caffeine builds up too much).

I'm a terribly mobile sleeper, I've never ended up completely upside down, but after sleeping under a pile of blankets I'll often find them all separated and thrown in different directions.

I never got into the habit of eating while I watch TV or something. (Probably the only thing I don't have to correct. :D) I usually eat when I'm bored or stressed. Also when I get home from work - whether it is time for a meal or not. And in social situations I suppose. I find it a bit difficult to say no when everyone else around me seems to be eating.  :redface-new: But swaping these snacks for something else (like tea in your case) seems like a good option. It might be easier that way. 

It honestly must be terrible to sleep next to me (already feel the need to apologise to the friend who's on vacation with me). I sometimes still fall out of bed, too. But at least I don't wake up when I do. 

• Like 2

I second the tea idea.  I didn't replace snacks with tea (I use carbonated/flavored water), but the idea is the same.  Replace a snack with something else.

As for workouts on vacation, don't forget the 20-Minute Hotel Workout!

True!  :D I should print that one out. I always have super heavy luggage.  :nevreness:  (Some poor person at the airport will be close to having another slipped disc next week. Apologies in advance for that.)

I used to drink lots of diet soda and tried to cut down on that, so maybe no corbonated drinks, but yes, the idea starts to grow on me. In a way I did that successful for a while already. I used to eat when I was stressed and replaced snacking with cardio in those instances and it works pretty well - or even better. 

Right now I'm working on replacing about half  my snacks with fruit and the other half with tea instead of tea and something.  :)

I sometimes end up sideways on the bed and blankets on the floor on opposite sides. Only managed completely turned around once. 

Fruit is tempting, but I usually go for truly sugary ones.  :D Leave it to me to even go for poor choices when it comes to fruit, haha. But even those would be better than many of my other snacks I suppose. 

Oh! Another person who can relate to that, awesome.  :D People lying all still and not moving are odd. There I said it. 

• Like 1

Day 5, Week 4

wI86mpEl.jpg

It is SO WARM. I am not used to it, I feel like not moving. Again. I just breathe and exist. (Could you claim that is some form of meditation?) I had planned some more cardio for today, but a bodyweight workout it was. Because it was to warm for cardio. Or going out and attending yoga class. I haven't been in ages, oops - bet they won't recognise me anymore, a good chance to start over and make a better impression this time. :D 

Sticking to my goals today turned out to be pretty easy except for the bit where I am supposed to move. (Also I decided to redefine the agonizing way back home from work in an overheated car as going to a sauna free of charge. I couldn't convince myself yet -- but I'm trying... sort of.) It took ages to cool down, too. Maybe I need someone to check the airconditioning. But it helped me drinking those darn 3 liter of water. 

Now complying with mini challenge three, I tried to put down in words how I felt when I had my snack: utter boredom. Not moving might not have been helping in this area. 

Hope you're all doing well. (And aren't melting just yet.)

Happy belated birthday!!!!!

Thanks! :D It was a good excuse to buy lots of cake. But I just tried one and gave the rest away.  :nightmare:  It was difficult. :D

(Also I consider to stay this age from now on whenever someone asks.... for the next 10-15 years, then I might readjust a bit, haha.)

• Like 2

See! And there I was thinking this heat wave is all bad! I will take it all back. Forget I ever complained. I'm making lots of progress with meditation thanks to the heat. :D

(I think with that new definition I spend most of my time in meditation today.) 

Awesome  :D. It took me a while to realize meditation wasn't trying to be relaxed (or trying to be anything). It is just being.  :)

• Like 1

You are amazing! :D Also I didn't want to spam you log with this random stuff, but your cat is incredibly CUTE. So thanks for posting those pictures, too. ;)

Unrelated, but lately I sometimes wish someone would just come over to my place every now and then and yell at me to get things done (and preferably keep yelling until they are done, too). Does that make me sound as lazy as I think it does?

• Like 2

You are amazing! :D Also I didn't want to spam you log with this random stuff, but your cat is incredibly CUTE. So thanks for posting those pictures, too. ;)

Unrelated, but lately I sometimes wish someone would just come over to my place every now and then and yell at me to get things done (and preferably keep yelling until they are done, too). Does that make me sound as lazy as I think it does?

YOU are amazing :D. Don't ever think you're spamming my log, I love love love getting messages from others :).

Beanie is cute and boy does she know it  :tongue:. I will have to find a pic of when she was a kitten because oh man she was a ridiculously cute kitten. Like I sent photos to friends and they were like "why are you sending us stock photos of kittens" which 1. kitten pics are always good and 2. she was just that cute (still is). I've been feeling kinda meh today and she totally knows and has been giving me lots of kisses today to make me feel better, oh Beanie  :love_heart:

Man we could all use a drill instructor from time to time. I had to force myself to walk this morning even though I KNEW it would make me feel better. Brains are so weird sometimes. Also inertia is strong, it can take a while to build up momentum. You are not lazy if you're trying  :D

• Like 1

YOU are amazing :D. Don't ever think you're spamming my log, I love love love getting messages from others :).

Beanie is cute and boy does she know it  :tongue:. I will have to find a pic of when she was a kitten because oh man she was a ridiculously cute kitten. Like I sent photos to friends and they were like "why are you sending us stock photos of kittens" which 1. kitten pics are always good and 2. she was just that cute (still is). I've been feeling kinda meh today and she totally knows and has been giving me lots of kisses today to make me feel better, oh Beanie  :love_heart:

Man we could all use a drill instructor from time to time. I had to force myself to walk this morning even though I KNEW it would make me feel better. Brains are so weird sometimes. Also inertia is strong, it can take a while to build up momentum. You are not lazy if you're trying  :D

Ah. I mean I even get most people don't mind "spamming" probably - I know I don't either. :D But doing it still feels odd. Maybe I'll get over it some time. 

Good you have her around if she's such a great help on the not so awesome days. :) And of course cat pictures are always a valid option. For almost anything. (Why did your friends even ask?!)

My brain often denies me any form of cooperation. I suppose I have to manage anyway. :D A drill instructor would help though.... external motivation isn't always inferior.  :redface-new: Great you managed to go on that walk anyway, though. 

FOUND THEM 

gallery_38106_1885_100547.jpg

gallery_38106_1885_90020.jpg

gallery_38106_1885_89563.jpg

gallery_38106_1885_15879.jpg

There are more in the album but I didn't want to spam up your thread with picture of my cat   :playful:

They're all nice, but that 2nd picture... omg, I might be melting. Those darn cats abusing their powers of cuteness. :D Although to be honest... mine isn't all that cute. More commanding. A bit like a liege lord maybe (and me being the peasant, haha).

Keeping busy is a great way to distract yourself from hunger/temptation, although the weather does make that additional hard atm. 

Hope you had a great birthday 

Yeah, I don't want to move. Or do things. Or.... anything. Just sit around and wait for it all to be over. 38°C today. I cannot function. 

Thank you! It was pretty nice. If it had been a tad bit warmer we might have had a BBQ by just putting out our plates in the sun for a bit. Would have saved a lot of time. :D

• Like 1