Ruckus Recommits to Training

Ruckus

The name of the game is the same: complete the 2015 BAA Distance Medley. The 10K is June 21st and I am all kinds of not ready. I did poorly last challenge so hopefully this one goes better.

The tasks:

• Show up: I'm going to go to November Project on Wednesdays and Fridays (and Mondays depending on the location/parking). Illness and working late the previous night (leaving after 8) are the only allowable excuses. Injury is no longer an excuse because it's nice enough to just show up/injury deck without fear of freezing to death. I'm debating posting this on Facebook/in the NP group for maximum public shame if I don't follow through.
  • Train: Run on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Injury and serious illness excuses apply. We have a treadmill in my office and now in my building (in our sad excuse for a "fitness center"), so I can't really use weather as an out. I want to will myself to do it before work, but I don't know if I can commit to that (maybe join up with The Breakfast Club?). Both distance and track workouts count as training.
  • Eat (right): I have really bad habit of being too lazy to even heat up leftovers on some nights (I don't keep as much crap in the apartment anymore, so I'm eating healthier snacks at least). Basically I want to eat a real dinner every night, and have it be healthy for at least 4 of those nights. It doesn't have to be paleo, but should be reasonably healthy (pasta 6 nights a week is not healthy).

Life goal: Deutsch lernen (learn German)

I used Google translate for that one, which isn't great (and I'm not 100% sure it's correct). I'll be in Europe in September and Germany/Berlin is one of our stops. I've been working on this on and off for over 2 years and I want to finish the German tree on Duolingo by September 1st by practicing every day.

I also promise to go out more/be social once the Stanley Cup Finals are over (go Ducks Bolts!)

• Like 2

Scout / Assassin. Ich spreche etwas deutsch.

Strava || Duolingo
Challenges: 2015/06/08 (current) | 2015/04/13 | 2014/11/10 | 2014/09/15 | 2014/07/28

"You just have to run to the end of the block. It's not as hard as you think it is."
--Leonard Fisher (12 and Holding)

So close to the run, definitely good goals to keep you focused on the prize!

You have plenty there to work on, but I thought I'd add my two cents and say you may want to incorporate sleep and water, especially the closer you get. You likely know that, but I wanted to throw out the obvious just in case.

I just added Duolingo app to my phone to learn Spanish, maybe that's an option? It's not wicked in depth, yet, so not sure.

Cheers!

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Yeah water and sleep are huge. With showing up comes going to bed early. I have no A/C in my apartment (and summer is coming) so water is very important.

The general consensus on Duolingo is that it's a good starting point, but other sources like Memrise should be used for supplemental learning. I haven't tried it yet because I'm already struggling to stick to just Duolingo, and I don't think adding another thing is going to be a good idea. The app is good, but I prefer the website because some of the exercises on the app seem easier than the website (picking out words vs. typing them out). But I haven't used the app in like a year so maybe it's changed.

Strava || Duolingo
Challenges: 2015/06/08 (current) | 2015/04/13 | 2014/11/10 | 2014/09/15 | 2014/07/28

"You just have to run to the end of the block. It's not as hard as you think it is."

Decided to show up this morning. It was kind of gross out, but I met a fellow rebel and got a free pass to go kayaking, so it was totally worth it. I did realize that I need to work on my upper body strength as I'm sore now and I started doing knee push-ups after the first set of 10.

• Like 1

Strava || Duolingo