Wanderbound’s Wonderful Wanderings -- challenge 2.0

Hi everyone!!  This is my first quest with the assassins and I’m really excited to be here!!  From the beginning I've really waffled between the Rangers and the Assassins, and I think that lack of focus will kind of show in my goals for the challenge.  I ultimately chose assassins thanks to the helpful advice of our assassin ambassadors -- mostly because bodyweight workouts are part of my long term goals, and while I am working on weight loss, quite of my few personal/long-term goals for the next year land me squarely in this category over the more cross-fitty training of the Rangers.

I'm spending the next ten weeks working in lovely Ireland and am going to have access to gyms, which I want to take advantage of.  So even though I’m training with you lovely assassins, I’m have some freeweight & running related goals this challenge! 

Current Main Quest: Lose 15 pounds (drop from 150 to 135) before I move to London in September 2015.  Build enough core & upper body strength through regular body weight or free weight exercise that I no longer have back pain when sitting for prolonged periods of time.  Enroll in dance lessons sometime in the next year.  Maintain a regular running schedule and begin training for my first half-marathon in fall of 2015, hopefully run the big 26.2 in April of 2016.

Some goals for future challenges will include:

Swing Dance Lessons & Practice

Run A Half Marathon

Pushup Challenge -- 20, 30, and beyond

Tai Chi Classes

NOW.  I want to post my progress pics from the last quest to help inspire myself when the going gets tough.  Possibly NSFW as I am wearing a sports bra/pants:

Challenge 1 start: 148 lbs One, Two

Challenge 1 finish:  142 lbs One, Two

Challenge 2 start:  140 lbs

Challenge 2 finish:

To give you an idea of my trajectory, observe my high weight (192 lbs) almost eight years ago.... I have fluctuated back and forth a bit, but for the most part I have been steadily losing in small increments.  I went gluten-free six years ago and cut all sodas/most sugar etc in the last three years.  I'm hoping that by the end of this challenge I'll be just that much closer to a solid healthy weight (not to mention healthy cholesterol levels!!)!

In short, I want to complete my SUPERHERO TRANSFORMATION!

5e2ddc7f-f31e-45c4-a39b-993414cc2e0f.jpg

In addition to fitness, I love to travel, I crochet, I am addicted to Harvest Moon on my DS and I'm moving to London in September.  I'm hoping to make some friends amongst the assassins this challenge!!  

Please feel free to follow or comment if you have similar goals or think we'd get along & be able to support one another!

GOAL ONE: Running Wild

Last challenge I focused on working out 5x weekly, and I want to continue that goal....  with that in mind, I rewarded myself for a job well done in my first challenge with a fancy new hydration belt!  Ohhhhh, ahhhhh!

SO. I am beginning to train for my first half-marathon this summer, intending to run in October.  I’m using the Galloway Method for run/walk training and I need to get serious about my longer runs in particular.  This isn't about speed or times, just about STAMINA!  I am varying between 1/1 minute run/walks and 2/1 minute run/walks.  I intend to run at 2/1 or 3/1 in October, depending on how my training goes. 

Cardio 3x weekly: 

Run/walk according to the half-marathon training schedule here, slightly modified as I am aiming to race in October:

Short runs Monday and Saturday, long run on Wednesday afternoon/evenings.

WEEK ONE: 30 minute run 2X weekly, 4 mile run 1X weekly.    (30 x 2 complete, 4 mile complete) \o/

WEEK TWO: 30 minute run 2X weekly, 5 mile run 1X weekly.   (30 x 2 complete, 5 mile complete) \o/

WEEK THREE:  30 minute run 2X weekly, 2.5 mile run 1X weekly. (30 x 2 complete, 2.5 mile complete) \o/

WEEK FOUR:  30 minute run 2X weekly, 6.5 mile run 1X weekly.  (30 x 1 complete, 6.5 x 1 complete)

WEEK FIVE:  30 minute run 2X weekly, 3 mile run 1X weekly.

WEEK SIX:  30 minute run 2X weekly, 8 mile run 1X weekly.

Earning +3 STA +2 DEX upon completion.

Full point docked for non-attempts each week, partial points docked for non-completion of attempted runs. 

GOAL TWO:  Weighty Goals

For my second goal I'm hoping to roll free weights into my workout routine this summer.  

Weights 2x - 3x weekly

3x weekly is an option IF and only if I can double up on a short run day.  I want to give myself two off days for recovery, work and my life quest each week.  

My routine:

3x sets of 12 barbell rows

3x sets of 10 military presses

3x sets of 12 curls

3x sets of 12 lateral pull-downs (where possible)

In addition I want to practice my four Assassin mini body-weight moves plus the 20 squats and lunges from my body weight workout.  I will try to raise my AMRAP on these on each weight day:

Bent knee inverted rows

Pushups

Wall sit

Lying leg raises

I also want to work towards doing reps of full pushups rather than kneeling pushups as a continuation of my pushup-related goal in my last challenge.  

WEEK ONE: 2/2

WEEK TWO: 2/2

WEEK THREE: 2/2

WEEK FOUR:  0/2

WEEK FIVE: 0/2

WEEK SIX:  0/2

Completion guarantees +3 STR + 2 CHA

GOAL THREE - Victory Over Vices:

Last challenge I cut down on alcohol consumption, and just like with goal 1 I want to continue that goal and add a second. 

My goal is to drink only at work related functions and drink no more than two glasses of wine per night, maxing at six per week.  I have no days off this challenge, so I’m not adding any caveats – though on the one day I may be meeting friends in early July I will waive this rule.

Part B, though.  Part b is going to be killer, because I freaking LOVE salt/salty foods/bitter/vinegary foods, ugh.  I tend to add salt even before I taste food, which is a ridiculously stupid habit to maintain. 

Part A -- Drink only at work related functions and drink no more than two glasses of wine per night -- or the caloric equivalent (250 cal) in other booze!

Part B -- NO ADDED SALT TO MEALS. 

Earning +2 CON +2 WIS upon completion.

Dock .25 points per daily failure.

Week 3 -- -.25 for added salt

Week 4 -- -.25 for extra booze

Bonus! Life Quest:

I completely failed this my first challenge, so I am going to repeat the goal with actual time-management requirements built in.

Read 2 self-improvement books on interpersonal communications - for this challenge I've selected "Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well" and "How to Speak, How To Listen".

Earn .5 charisma points per book!

During my second challenge I will read from 30 – 45 minutes on each rest-day during the week.  If I manage to finish both books I will add a third (my Galloway method marathon training guide) with no points bonus.

• Like 1

:: wanderbound ::

Level 2 Gryffindor half-elf assassin & rider in The Wild Hunt

STR: 4 |  DEX: 2  |  STA: 2  |  CON: 0  |  WIS: 4  |  CHA: 1 

..... current (2nd) challenge! ..... epic quest! .....

“When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too.†― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Hi! Welcome! Following!

I definitely have a little bit of scout and ranger in my background. (I come from the world of team sports.) The assassins won't kick you out. Distance running is my nemesis this challenge, so training for a half marathon sounds both crazy and badass. I am here to cheer.

• Like 1

Level 3 Human Jedi Apprentice / Assassin

{ running, rock climbing, frisbee }

Hi! Welcome! Following!

I definitely have a little bit of scout and ranger in my background. (I come from the world of team sports.) The assassins won't kick you out. Distance running is my nemesis this challenge, so training for a half marathon sounds both crazy and badass. I am here to cheer.

Thank you so much!  I followed you back on your post -- I am really excited about the half, as my dad ran his first marathon at sixty and has really been encouraging me to train for one.  I also entered the London Marathon lottery, but those are long odds and a long way away...

Hey, welcome to the assassins!  It seems like your fitness journey has already been quite inspiring.  Excited to see what you get up to.  I'm also working on adding weights twice every week.  Do you have options that you're debating?

Thank you!!  I just amended the above post with a more detailed plan, but I'll share more of my thinking here -- I definitely want to continue with barbell rows, since I'm familiar with those from the body weight workout.  Mostly I am focusing on back and chest work, since running works my lower body regularly and I am prone to back pain in the area of my obliques when sitting for prolonged periods of time.  I think lateral pull downs are going to be really helpful for me.

Your before and after picks from last challenge show outstanding progress - Congratulations! 

And it looks like you are ON IT for this challenge. 

I'm here to support and cheer! 

Thank you so much!  I really feel like I have good momentum going this time around... and thank you for the thoughts on the progress pics, that's the first time I've ever posted something like that online and I'm a bit nervous about it.  

I've been in weight loss mode for a long time, but in the last six months my focus has really shifted to fitness and it's made me think of my body in a really different way.  I'm having a lot of fun exploring it so far!

• Like 2

“When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too.†― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

I am taking progress pics, but am not putting them up.  I have mad respect for those of you that do.  I feel a little guilty about keeping mine to myself; I get a lot of motivation from seeing regular people make such leaps, so thank you for doing it! 

I felt the same way, which is why I eventually put them up... it's so inspiring!  I definitely showed a friend first though, it was really helpful to hear someone (who wasn't me XD) say they could see the difference.  Not LOADS so far, but enough to be encouraging!

Sounds awesome! Props on posting photos, you've come so far!

Thank you!!  I'm really happy with my progress to date... let's hope this challenge works out for me too!

• Like 1

SO!

Guess who couldn’t wait until Monday to get started?

And guess whose arms now resemble this guy’s noodly appendages??

Today I did:

3 sets of 12 barbell curls (first set with fifteen pounds, dropping to ten for the rest… fifteen was ambitious)

3 sets of 12 military presses (10 pounds)

3 sets of 12 barbell rows (20 pounds)

I did 3 sets of twelve each chest presses and lateral pull downs, then played around with some of the exercises from the Hogwonderful Hogwartilicious miniquest just to see what they were like and better determine what I’ll be able to do in the hotel rooms I’m living in this summer.

I ache nicely, but I learned two things in my pregaming session today:

1. MY LEFT SIDE IS A PANSY.  I kept reading that people tend to favor one side or the other, but I was honestly shocked when my left arm started crapping out in the second set of bicep curls.
  2. I am going to need to adjust my challenge goals if I want to be able to participate in miniquest related items.

I felt SO GREAT after one measly successful challenge that I suspect I was expecting to segue into weighted workouts a little bit easier… “Yes!  I can totally manage challenge goals AND the Assassin mini-quest AND an Accountabilibuddies group!† Well….no, no, probably not.  So I’m stepping away from additional minis, focusing on my own quest and the Assassin miniquest and seeing how I do, and worry about adding another challenge layer next time around.

tl;dr tonight I'm going to modify my goals slightly and allow more time for the Assassins mini!

• Like 1

It's too late! We're totally going to stalk you anyway! =D

I TOTALLY WANT TO JOIN.   :(  Maybe I'll join and just pass on the minis?  I hate to deprive you guys of a fully participating member!!

ETA - I should add, I really want to make friends this challenge.  I was disappointed that I didn't get to know many people during my first challenge.  Maybe I should have made that a life goal this quest... 

• Like 1

Ireland?!?! I'm so jealous! How's the weather? Where are you staying? What are the people like? Is the food decent? PICTURES!!!

Ahem...your goals look solid, so good luck! ;)

And you're going to love the free weights once you start using them regularly; I did!

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

I'm doing the Assassin minis this challenge, too!  I am thinking that I won't need to add anything else - that and my main challenge should be plenty!!

It just looks so exciting, it's hard to say no!

• Like 1

ALL RIGHT!  SIX WEEK CHALLENGE IS A GO!

I'm really excited this morning for the mini-challenge and -- I got sorted into my favorite house, which is way exciting.  I also went ahead and joined an accountabilibuddies group (The Wild Hunt!), but I may be skipping the minis if they don't dovetail properly with my challenge.  I'm happy, though, that should be a good way to get to know people!

This morning I weighed myself for the Challenge start and clocked in at 140 pounds (63.5 kg/10 stone).  That's only five pounds away from my goal weight and actually puts my BMI in the healthy weight category, though a lot of these "ideal height/weight" charts put my ideal weight closer to 125/130.  I am SO EXCITED about this -- yes, I know BMI is just a statistical tool and doesn't have a lot of meaning beyond that, but this is HUGE for me since I am genetically prone to high cholesterol and bringing my weight down is of course the best way to manage that!  I haven't had a cholesterol test in two years, and while my HDL was through the roof my LDL was a borderline high as well.  I think that I may use a cholesterol test as my "reward" if I do well this six weeks, though I won't be able to have it done 'til I'm back in the states. 

I will probably take progress pics today for consistency though I can't imagine they'll be much different from my challenge 1 end photos.  I don't really want to post them without the end result for comparison though! XD

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

• Like 3

I thought I might be able to squeeze in extra weights work on Tuesdays, but now that I'm working my actual schedule there's just no way.  That's a little disappointing... I was so pumped for the challenge this Tuesday and ended up working until after the gym was closed at ten pm. I could have done my bodyweight workout portion but jeez louise, I was so pooped.   Not a very promising start to my weight training.

This means that the only days I can feasibly do my second weight workout is Friday or Sunday, and both of those days are suuuuuuper busy as well.  Friday I work 11 hours, and Sunday -- Sunday might be workable, but it means getting up early on the only day of the week I normally get to sleep past six.  waaaah!  Given my sleep deprivation I'm definitely going to be aiming for Friday night. 

Maybe I'll try to double up?  Do lifting on Monday next week in addition to my short run?

I am slightly regretting my scheduling choices -- I set up a five day obligation with two free days per week, but on both of my free days my work hours are so long that I'm dropping into bed by the end of the day in exhaustion.  I managed to get in my half hour of reading last night (probably, I fell asleep on my kindle but I suspect I got my last 15 minutes in that evening) ... but I kind of wish I'd left myself time off with a window to actually, you know, do something relaxing.

Tonight is a simple four mile run though!  The weather is good and I'm looking forward to it.  Must focus and keeps spirits up despite how sleepy I am this morning.

I hate it when life gets in the way of living.

PERFECTLY SAID!

I did my first "long" run today -- I sometimes hit four miles in my normal runs, but it was still nice to get out and do it.  No side stitches either, which is something I struggle with.

Hit the gym after and knocked out everything but my inverted rows as someone was camping the squat rack... I'm gonna try that again tomorrow morning and hope for better luck.  

I'm feeling much less discouraged than I was last night!

I managed half a weight lifting workout last night before work jumped out and ate my "free" evening ... I'll have to make up the slack this afternoon with the second half of my bodyweight workout.

I keep trying to read before bed according to my life quest goal -- and keep falling asleep while doing it.  I think I'm going to count that towards my half hour a day, just because...well, frankly, I need the sleep and it's got to be just as healthy for me.   Next challenge I'm definitely making this element of the challenge work related.  x_x

• Like 1

Hello gryffindarling! Just popping over to let you know that headmaster Hazard is spot checking our homework starting at 4pm EST today! So if you get a chance to update your AMRAPs that would be stellar!

Also can't believe I hadn't added you yet, us gryffindors gotta stick together.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.