This challenge brought to you by the letter R (Diglett)

Diglett

I took an entire challenge off to interact with the real world. Things were good. Sorry I wasn't around to say encouraging things to everyone else.

Things that happened:

I coached a high school frisbee team. I had JV girls, and I definitely erred on the side of making it fun, not having them do a lot of conditioning, and not drilling the fundamentals as much as I should have. I expect most of them back next year though, so I'll just make them run then. [insert evil laughter here] But in all seriousness, this is something I really loved and really want to continue to do.

Our rec softball team was way more successful that we expected. Went undefeated until the league finals, which is pretty darn good for a bunch of engineers who mostly specialized in other sports (or no sports).

I presented my work at a conference. Got a job offer I can't take, since they need the position filled sooner than I can start. It's good to know that I'm hirable, though!

Partied with everyone who's graduating, which included hiking, game nights, movies, biking, and nights out. It was a lot of fun. Also a lot of time.

The sleep schedule thing has pretty much stuck, though I can't sleep in without ending up in a funk for the entire day. Note to self, don't do that.

Challenge Goals:

Placeholder, bam.

Quest: I just want to do cool athletic things (while also having my life in order like a mature adult.) Everything is happening in September/October. There's a women's only climbing competition I want to enter and a 5k at my school that I want to actually race rather than just kinda run. Also, I just watched the leaked pilot for Supergirl and I really want to lead climb some impressive roofs in costume on Halloween, because that would be amazing. For a couple of reasons I may elaborate on later, I would really love some photo-worthy athletics.

This challenge will include:

Running. So... distance running has never been my jam. I can do 3 hour practices or multi-day tournaments or 15 mile backpacking days, but going for a 3 mile run is always terrible. I want to say that I just have no idea what I'm doing. I don't know how to pace myself or how it's supposed to feel, but I also don't want to downplay the very specific fitness that distance running requires and the work put into building that. There will be a lot of complaining.

Running: Running type things 3x per week. Pickup games and hiking count for a maximum of two, so once a week at a mimimum, I have to run for real and figure this thing out.

Score is based on number of actual runs out of 6 and number of running-type things out of 18, for a total out of 24 points. Makeups are not allowed. 

Rock climbing. In contrast, the current love of my athletic life. I'm having trouble sticking dynamic moves (even with a good hold) and I'm very hesitant to commit to those moves near the top of the wall, which in turn results in not sticking them. This is top of my list to work on when I gym-go solo for bouldering. There will probably also be outdoor trips or at the very least, large parties of people toproping at the gym. Hooray!

Climbing: 1. Sign up for and take the gym's lead climbing class with Kris. Her suggestion. 2. Once per week, work on either lead or dynos/committing to moves near the top of the wall. Any other climbing is bonus.

Score is two points for the lead class, and one point for each dedicated practice session out of a total of 8.

Reading, writing, and 'rithmetic. Get. Work. Done. I have a PhD to finish. (also, "Routine" starts with an R.)

I just proposed a paper deadline for the end of July. I win a million points and a gold star if I'm done with the first draft by the end of the challenge on the 19th. (This would be something like 1/4 or 1/3 of my dissertation, published in an academic journal ahead of time.)

Score is pass/fail. Woo.

Rules and details and grading and all that are forthcoming.

I left the challenge-specific things at a manageable minimum of one per week. It's summer. I won't be a lump. Other fun things will be happening.

Level 3 Human Jedi Apprentice / Assassin

{ running, rock climbing, frisbee }

I'm following you back -- sounds like you had a great time "off" during the last challenge!

:: wanderbound ::

Level 2 Gryffindor half-elf assassin & rider in The Wild Hunt

STR: 4 |  DEX: 2  |  STA: 2  |  CON: 0  |  WIS: 4  |  CHA: 1 

..... current (2nd) challenge! ..... epic quest! .....

“When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too.†― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

I'm following you back -- sounds like you had a great time "off" during the last challenge!

Hi! Thanks!

I did. It was a nice change from living on the internet like I usually tend to when other people aren't making plans for me. :)

___

Pre-Challenge Update:

Quest and goals somewhat updated.

Ran once. 2 miles in 15 < minutes < 20 (ish?), I didn't bring a watch because I'm silly. Verdict: This sucks.

Climbed once. I ended up chatting with a father/daughter pair and fooling around on a V4 with them rather than working on what I meant to. I'm pretty sure I'm still at a level where I can make slow improvements just by showing up though, so all is well.

A good way to build running endurance is to run slower. It seems weird, but it works. Ideally, you'd be able to hold a conversation while running, but this isn't always feasible when you're just starting out. Another tip is to breathe with a 2-2 cadence; breathe in every 2 steps, out every 2 steps. Once you get used to running, your easy runs should feel quite good, and you shouldn't be out of breath during them. You can always do harder runs later, but those tend to be designed for a specific purpose. If it feels horrible, run slower.

A good way to build running endurance is to run slower. It seems weird, but it works. Ideally, you'd be able to hold a conversation while running, but this isn't always feasible when you're just starting out. Another tip is to breathe with a 2-2 cadence; breathe in every 2 steps, out every 2 steps. Once you get used to running, your easy runs should feel quite good, and you shouldn't be out of breath during them. You can always do harder runs later, but those tend to be designed for a specific purpose. If it feels horrible, run slower.

I have heard that. My most successful runs in the past have included an inner dialogue of "slowdownslowdownslowdown." The biomechanically most comfortable pace for me is too fast for my fitness at this point. I would love for the fitness to catch up!

Glad to see you back! I'm following for pretty much everything but especially for the climbing and running! My brother says, "When in doubt, dyno!".

Hi! Your brother is crazy! :P

T-1 day to the challenge!

Update:

Goals and scoring are finished.

Picked up with my new club frisbee team for the summer. They are fantastic and I love them.

Harry Potter is one of my favorite fandoms, so I can't not participate in this mini. My picks for the exercises are

Wall handstand for time
    Pushups of the "plain ol'" variety
    Pistol progression from here
    Consecutive fireman-pole climbs. (I feel like there will be some skill-based improvement in this last one, but whatever. I'm in for fun.)

Hooray!

Sounds like a pretty fun mini-challenge workout! I haven't been following the mini but you all really seem to be getting into it!

Also, not to keep mentioning my brother, but he loves ultimate! It's his big hope to go to nationals someday. I think he's crazy - but they have a good time. Lots of costumes apparently.

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

I take it back. Your brother is awesome. College or club nationals?

And challenge update!

+1 running-ish thing. Frisbee team practice on Wednesday. Frisbee is so much running omg. But also omg, I didn't realize how much I missed this game.

+1 climbing for the week on Tuesday. It was overall an excellent day and I felt good about all of it. I topped out everything that I was close to topping out. There were a couple I was nowhere near, including one move to a sloper that I couldn't stick. It should be up for a while though.

It must be club. He played on college club teams but is now graduated.

I'm pretty sure Ultimate and Soccer are both just long distance runs disguised as sports. Congrats on the climbing day! It's such a great feeling when you finally hit that "on" day and knock a bunch of things off of the list.

tinkerer

That's exciting. Club nationals are a big deal! Is he trying to make cuts for an elite team, or trying to take an existing team to that level of play?

And not yet, but it will happen!

Update:

+1 Running thing. Saturday practice. We actually did conditioning like we were a serious team or something. What.

+ 1 Running thing. Monday practice. Rain rain rain. Therefore, layout practice.

+ 1 Climbing. Wednesday. Toproping with the people. It's been a while since I've done anything but bouldering. So many new routes, so little time.

Aaaand a tournament this weekend.

. :)

There was totally room in there for an actual run, but I'm a butt and didn't do it. :( And I'm working pretty casually on my Nerdwards things. And by casually, I mean consistently but not retesting every other day because ouch. I promise to retest after the tournament.

Onwards!

+1 Climbing, Sunday. Got my first 5.10 in a gym, so basically I'm just one challenge behind for all of my goals. Also climbed two 5.7s, a 5.8 and got stumped by a 5.9+.

post-418-0-32190900-1435521425_thumb.jpg

Very belated challenge update! Things have happened! It's just really hard to keep this thing updated while also interacting with RL people. (I lose at challenge updates. But really, interacting with RL people is a priority.)

+ 2 Running Type Things. Tournament, Saturday and Sunday June 20-21. I feel like 8 games in two days should count for more than 2, but whatever. Unexpectedly, I felt mostly in shape for this, which just means that training all winter for spring tournaments when I was in college was well into the realm of diminishing returns.

+ 1 Actual Run. Thursday. 2 miles in 18:30 (brought a watch this time!). Entirely doable. Minimal suck. But... idk why so many people think it's fun. I'm waiting, running. Promises were made. :tongue:

+ 1 Running Type Thing. Wednesday practice. Woop woop. Everyone was really goofy and not particularly businesslike after the tournament. Fun times.

+ 1 Running Type Thing. Saturday, joint practice with Nearest Big City's really good club team. Got butt kicked, but it was cool nonetheless. Thanks for making sure I knew that I'm not an internationally competitive athlete, Nearest Big City Team.

Climbing type thing updated in the post above. :)

I'm going to be missing a couple of practices to visit the folks, so I think I might do a Throwback Thursday and play DDR for one of my running type things. Ah, middle school.

Also, likely Mt. Washington trip in a few weeks!

am alive. update forthcoming.

Oh yeah, I know that feeling!

Way to go on the 5.10! Mt. Washington looks like a fun trip, too. It seems like the weather there is WAY unpredictable. Be careful!

Regarding running - the fun part for me is going fast and trying hard to go faster. Keeping track, for some reason, makes it much more enjoyable.

tinkerer

Oh yeah, I know that feeling!

Way to go on the 5.10! Mt. Washington looks like a fun trip, too. It seems like the weather there is WAY unpredictable. Be careful!

Regarding running - the fun part for me is going fast and trying hard to go faster. Keeping track, for some reason, makes it much more enjoyable.

ty!

I definitely want to go fast and I definitely want to race later this year. I'm just kinda experimenting with pacing now, so that later, I'll have a better idea of what a race speed for 5k might be.

World Cup Spoiler:

In other news, I was a 10 year old youth soccer player the last time the US Women's team won the world cup. Seeing them win (and then hearing the coach say that it was a victory for the team but also for every girl that wants to play one day) made me all warm and fuzzy inside. :3

No challenge update because I'm on vacation and decided to take time off. Mostly off. I borrowed my brother's dumbbells to lift once, and we're going climbing at the local gym tonight, hopefully. (He's going to be so good. He got all the family height. I'm 5'3", he's 6'1". :( ) But now I don't feel like eating everything and sleeping for 14 hours every night, so that's good.

I did indeed out-climb my tall brother. But then he moved a table for me so we're even.

Challenge is over!

And... um... not much to report other than I stopped reporting. (I'm sorry to the people I was planning to follow for the challenge! :(

Had a lovely trail run last Friday. Road running doesn't suck but still is less fun than just about everything else involving running.

Most recent climbing day was 5.9 5.9 5.10 (lol nope) 5.8+ 5.8-. The 5.10 was really balancey and felt like the way you'd climb slab but on a vertical. Watching a friend climb 5.11 ish (he oozes up the wall somehow, idek), this might be a big part of the future of climbing. Yikes. But I felt the same way when things stopped being jugs, too, so I'll probably be fine.

Prereq for the lead class is to climb 5.9 "competently." Climbing partner and I are working on all the 5.9s in the gym to figure them out before the class. No date for that yet though.

Aaaand (best news here) none of my things this September/October overlap! I can do the work conference (that's required), climbing comp, 5k, and my birthday. Wooo!

I'll give myself my level up after the lead class and after the 5k as long as they're both not disasters. In the mean time, I am definitely moving to a battle log. I want to be able to peek at long term progress without the pressure to keep score.

Thanks to everyone who posted in here! Sorry I was probably super boring to follow.