• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Teirin

Teirin might get her Shodan and remembers that outside exists.

Judo

1. Prepare for the potential grading.  The Kata clinic/grading is still on for June 27th. My partner is in question and I'm not completely sure it will happen but I will be ready for it if it does.

• practice Nage no Kata as much as I can manage
  • go through all of the throws, however many chokes, armbars, and holds as well
  • Sort out the partner issue as soon as possible
  • Finalize paperwork, submit by June 6th (pre-challenge)
  • slightly shrink new gi so it fits better

2. Go to the kata clinic regardless of grading.  It'll be good AND it's in town.  It's even free if you aren't grading.

3. Arrange with clubmates for unofficial training as often as possible. Classes end June 4th.  After that, the seniors can work out if we can drag multiple people in on Tuesday or Thursday nights.  A few more people are interested this year.  Maybe visit the other local club if not?  Re-joining Facebook will help with this.

Get Outside

We do actually have summer here and it's nice out.  Enjoy it and do some active things.  Do a minimum of one of these at least once per week:

• Run or do sprints (Note: requires new sneakers)
  • Drag one of the guys out to play frisbee or train in the park
  • Go to a real yoga class - found a nice looking place that welcomes people cross-training!
  • Long walk or hike with someone
  • Something else outside or in an unfamiliar place

Take some time off (all of the below)

• Spend an evening/large chunk of a weekend day doing whatever I feel like.  (1/week)
  • Take a day off work and spend it relaxing.  NO CHORES. No work interruptions either.

Guitar

• Play Rocksmith at least once per week or work on the lessons
  • Post cool guitar/bass videos
  • Check out the places in town that sell used instruments

Will try to be around more this challenge.  Sorry all, was quite distracted the last few.

• Like 12

I picked up my guitar again last week, after not having played it at all for about six months. I forgot how much fun it can be, although I really prefer making music with friends, rather than alone. Playing and singing to myself gets kind of old after a while. :/

Our summer appears to have retreated. It was definitely here last week, but today is June 1st and it's 49 degrees outside and pouring rain. Apparently our April showers are about two months late...

I picked up my guitar again last week, after not having played it at all for about six months. I forgot how much fun it can be, although I really prefer making music with friends, rather than alone. Playing and singing to myself gets kind of old after a while. :/

Our summer appears to have retreated. It was definitely here last week, but today is June 1st and it's 49 degrees outside and pouring rain. Apparently our April showers are about two months late...

Very cool!  Any interest in providing nudges to practice to each other? 

I'd love to make music with friends but I'm nowhere in the vicinity of music yet :-D  The Judo club could make a band if one of us switched to Bass.  Sensei plays the drums and two of the other students play guitar.  That would be hilarious.

It cooled down here too and we had some nasty thunder and lightning storms late last week.  It's still relatively nice and we're getting some warm days.  I'll still count it after winter.

• Like 1

Not completely guitar inspiration but I started putting together a cooldown playlist on youtube for when I'm annoyed.  Any recs?

So Far:

Kalafina - Kimi Ga Hikari ni Kaete Iku

Nightwish - Ghost Love Score (any version)

Tool - Wings for Marie parts 1 and 2

Undivide - White Hole

Wow, how have I not heard that Tool song.... I HAVE that album somewhere... I just remember not liking 10,000 Days.  Huh. 

I dunno, a lot of my stoner metal works for me, but your stuff is already a whole other order of magnitude more 'mellow'. 

It may not have been the right time for that album?  What do you think of it now?

I go in for very soothing when I'm mad but louder when I'm in a good mood *shrug*

Very cool!  Any interest in providing nudges to practice to each other?

Absolutely! I could use the nudging. I picked up Evans Blue - Cold (But I'm Still Here) on my Schecter when I was playing last month, thanks to an instructional video from the guitarist. I'm usually 100% a rhythm guitar guy, but I wanted to see if I could handle something more complicated, and it turns out I can!

Not completely guitar inspiration but I started putting together a cooldown playlist on youtube for when I'm annoyed.  Any recs?

I go in for very soothing when I'm mad but louder when I'm in a good mood *shrug*

Heh, I do the opposite. When I'm mad I want LOUD and SCREAMY metal that I can turn up until my eardrums hurt. After a few tracks, the frustration/anger is usually much reduced. :D

Absolutely! I could use the nudging. I picked up

on my Schecter when I was playing last month, thanks to an instructional video from the guitarist. I'm usually 100% a rhythm guitar guy, but I wanted to see if I could handle something more complicated, and it turns out I can!

Heh, I do the opposite. When I'm mad I want LOUD and SCREAMY metal that I can turn up until my eardrums hurt. After a few tracks, the frustration/anger is usually much reduced. :D

Ohh, that's nice!  Will call mutual hassling a plan then?

That does make more sense. 

• Like 1

Love the go outside challenge.  Especially the different activities you have listed like yoga and hiking!   The take time off challenge also sounds very awesome and maybe something I steal for myself in another challenge!

Definitely following along as well!  I'm gonna enjoy hearing about your Judoing, guitaring, outsiding, and relaxing! :D

conga-line.gif

• Like 1

I could use a getting-outside challenge my own self. I don't think I have the power to make it happen, but even so.

Also, maybe some Killswitch Engage to go with the raging happy?

• Like 1

I could use a getting-outside challenge my own self. I don't think I have the power to make it happen, but even so.

Also, maybe some Killswitch Engage to go with the raging happy?

They have a definite presence in several other playlists :-D

• Like 1

Last official class before summer break was tonight.  It was good.  Got some solid brawling in, managed to get a good choke in on my partner, and a few min of work on some of the throws I work on less.  Sensei assures me that the grading will be fine and I have nothing to worry about.  Have reminded him that I'm a gifted worrier.  One of the grading board was under the impression that I already had my Shodan, oddly enough.

We're discussing a mix of working out on our own this summer and visiting the other club in town sometimes.  We shall see.

Judo NB's annual general meeting is Saturday morning, leaving stupidly early.  I do not need to go as I don't have my Shodan yet but it may be interesting to go anyway, provided I can talk myself into getting out of bed at 6 am on a Saturday.  Dubious.  Very dubious.

My training partner has asked for another burpee challenge.  Yeah sure, why not?  Results will be posted here and a few more clubmates may join.

I have turkey baking in the oven.  Tuuurrrkkkeey.  I love you turkey.

• Like 2

Found you! following along because I love your challenges and always learn so much here :)

Hi!!

Some guitar inspiration early:

For later finding:  Sit through burpees (if they're the ones Kishi was mentioning)

• Like 1

Actually, it's something like this... see if it shares right...

https://youtu.be/ZA8GzhFh_CQ?t=6m3s

Edit: Oh blast, I guess not, but I didn't want to clutter things up with an eight-minute video. Sorry!

I can click a link :-)  Thanks!  Those will come in handy with the upcoming burpee challenge with the Judo guys.  I'm thinking of mixing them up some with x of each of several types.  That may or may not last.   

We have a frost warning on for tonight.

427275111c6d2ea69ea314bec66369004c60267f

• Like 2

Get Outside

We do actually have summer here and it's nice out.  Enjoy it and do some active things.  Do a minimum of one of these at least once per week:

• Long walk or hike with someone
  • Something else outside or in an unfamiliar place

See, everyone just needs to come visit me.

I live on a mountain, in the middle of a state park that is in the middle of a national forest. :D  Doesn't get more outside-y! :D

Oh, and we have summer. For realz.  

Right, so back to the challenge.

Yay for getting outside AND for relaxing.

It's garage sale season here. I see lots of instruments as a I drive by. Today on the way back from the guy's I saw place selling some fishing poles, what looked like a fiddle, and lot of clothes. I don't stop often, but I did get a nice telescope for $15 last year so I've been keeping my eyes peeled.

• Like 1

Good list from GMB this morning. I really like their philosophy on playing and movement.  They make me want to work on the basics more and are a good resource for making sure we're doing some balanced things with the kids at Judo.

That's a pretty awesome list; I also like the playing emphasis as well.  I think sometimes I get bored of body weight exercises cause they feel slow and static, so that emphasis is cool!

Note: I have never been able to do a cartwheel.  Ever.  As a kid everyone else would do a cartwheel and I couldn't...it kinda makes me wanna try and build up to a cartwheel again.  Cool resource :D

• Like 2