• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Teirin

Teirin might get her Shodan and remembers that outside exists.

See, everyone just needs to come visit me.

I live on a mountain, in the middle of a state park that is in the middle of a national forest. :D  Doesn't get more outside-y! :D

Oh, and we have summer. For realz.  

Right, so back to the challenge.

Yay for getting outside AND for relaxing.

It's garage sale season here. I see lots of instruments as a I drive by. Today on the way back from the guy's I saw place selling some fishing poles, what looked like a fiddle, and lot of clothes. I don't stop often, but I did get a nice telescope for $15 last year so I've been keeping my eyes peeled.

That would be really cool.  I would sadly require many allergy pills to get through it but it would be worth it.  Your pictures of the area are great.

Here too! 

That's a pretty awesome list; I also like the playing emphasis as well.  I think sometimes I get bored of body weight exercises cause they feel slow and static, so that emphasis is cool!

Note: I have never been able to do a cartwheel.  Ever.  As a kid everyone else would do a cartwheel and I couldn't...it kinda makes me wanna try and build up to a cartwheel again.  Cool resource :D

They have a lot of great stuff on their website.

Following!

:wub:

PARTY AT PINKNINJA'S

I'LL BRING THE GLOW STICKS

Oh and then I guess we can hike and stuff. I mean. If she doesn't mind.

tumblr_inline_mqxuomLNuV1qz4rgp.gif

So work got us to take a free version of the Meyers Briggs test and talk about the results.  The video they used to explain the different pairs was rather amusing.

For the record, I tested as ISFJ. 

• Like 3

INTJ, myself. As evidenced by the fact that once I figured out the test, I started manipulating it to get the results I felt I wanted. :D

• Like 1

I'm always 50/50 on the I/E

but the rest is usually STP

I think I'm more introverted but my job forces extroverted traits.

I have lots of glow sticks(and always welcome more!). They're for "emergency use." But sometimes the emergency is that I want to take a bubble bath that glows green. Shhh.

And if someone can pull off that second gif irl, I'll feed you steak. :)

• Like 1

So work got us to take a free version of the Meyers Briggs test and talk about the results.  The video they used to explain the different pairs was rather amusing.

For the record, I tested as ISFJ. 

My work had us learn about and take the Gallup Strength finder test for similar reasons; they focus on the top five strength stuff.  For Myer Briggs I'm an INFJ.

I'm here!  On time!  For once!  (Though now that you're rejoined FB and made the terrible mistake of friending me, I can harass you in multiple locations.  Good luck surviving that.)  Nice, solid challenge though.  I like it.

I have turkey baking in the oven.  Tuuurrrkkkeey.  I love you turkey.

A clue to my mental state today?  I spit my coffee out reading this.  Because that's how far gone my brain is.

INTJ, myself. As evidenced by the fact that once I figured out the test, I started manipulating it to get the results I felt I wanted. :D

Rocking the INTJ party over here as well.

• Like 4

LOL.  That's great.

I'm always 50/50 on the I/E

but the rest is usually STP

I think I'm more introverted but my job forces extroverted traits.

I have lots of glow sticks(and always welcome more!). They're for "emergency use." But sometimes the emergency is that I want to take a bubble bath that glows green. Shhh.

And if someone can pull off that second gif irl, I'll feed you steak. :)

Mmm, it was noted that you can get different results for home and work.

I HAVE TO TRY THAT.  Wonder where sells glowsticks around here.

My work had us learn about and take the Gallup Strength finder test for similar reasons; they focus on the top five strength stuff.  For Myer Briggs I'm an INFJ.

Neat.  Will check that out too. 

Less than stellar start to the challenge.

The good:

• Shodan paperwork was submitted on time.
  • Not sick (Yay!)

The Bad:

• Tentative grading partner can't make it.  His work schedule doesn't permit.  Will see if my usual partner can, though he's  harder to pick up for Kata Guruma.
  • The Judo guys do want to work out this summer, on Monday nights.  AKA Game night.  So will see if they're ok with an alternate day or if I'm going to have to decide between game and Judo for the summer. One of the game guys has mentioned the possibility of rescheduling so that can be discussed but it isn't really fair to ask them.  Several have busy schedules of their own and asking everyone to reschedule a standing meetup night for me is crappy.

Will be doing day one of burpees and something core when I get home.  Maybe leg lifts and planks.

Also need to sort out a spreadsheet.  Google docs is shamefully limitted compared to Excel. 

*Editted to fix all of my spelling mistakes.  Or all the ones I found anyway.

• Like 3

I'm here!  On time!  For once!  (Though now that you're rejoined FB and made the terrible mistake of friending me, I can harass you in multiple locations.  Good luck surviving that.)  Nice, solid challenge though.  I like it.

A clue to my mental state today?  I spit my coffee out reading this.  Because that's how far gone my brain is.

Rocking the INTJ party over here as well.

Is cool.  Facebook sucks far less this time, largely because of the NF crew on there and the Judo club.

Your poor brain is still recovering from very long flights and two sleeping schedule swaps.

Hmm, we should take a poll of the guild leaders.  Am seeing a trend.

• Like 2

For later finding:  Sit through burpees (if they're the ones Kishi was mentioning)

I love these!

Also love the Do Something Outside challenge! :)

I try to do that because I'm big on the Vit D on my skin thing. I truly believe it helps my mood.

But ooooohhhhhh the Houston summer is already at 90-95F and I DYING!  IT'S NOT EVEN JULYYYYYYYYYY

tumblr_inline_mseouxz6911qz4rgp.gif

• Like 3

Teirin, solid goals! Love Judo although I only know the very basics.

But ooooohhhhhh the Houston summer is already at 90-95F and I DYING!  IT'S NOT EVEN JULYYYYYYYYYY

I feel ya. The Southwest's eternal summer is starting to get hot again.

• Like 2

Three cheers for not sick! Jeers for paperwork, but at least it's done on time :D

Challenge stuff looks good. How's the guitar feeling? >.>

Perry_the_platypus_rocks_the_guitar_anim

(I have no idea where this is from, but I love the GIF lol)

• Like 1

Sucks about the easier to pick up partner.

When I was going to class my friends used me as their partner for one steps because they weren't as afraid of breaking me, but I am a little harder to pick up.

I'm still fascinated by the 2 person kata.

I need to find more of you awesome folks on facebook as well!  That's usually were I tend to post pictures and I'm terrible with mixing my NF identity with my secret/real identity.

I hope things work out with the game nights and the judo work outs! 

When I was going to class my friends used me as their partner for one steps because they weren't as afraid of breaking me, but I am a little harder to pick up.

Agreed. Two person Kata sounds awesome :)

Three cheers for not sick! Jeers for paperwork, but at least it's done on time :D

Challenge stuff looks good. How's the guitar feeling? >.>

Perry_the_platypus_rocks_the_guitar_anim

(I have no idea where this is from, but I love the GIF lol)

I, erm, haven't touched it yet.  This week, I swear.  And thanks.

There was good news on that score!  They'll allow me to modify due to size difference on that one throw.

It's pretty sweet.  Your partner is there so you do get that understanding of the mechanics of the throw but they're being cooperative so it gives you the chance to try it under more ideal circumstances than randori.

I need to find more of you awesome folks on facebook as well!  That's usually were I tend to post pictures and I'm terrible with mixing my NF identity with my secret/real identity.

I hope things work out with the game nights and the judo work outs! 

Sent you my contact info :-)

Talked about it the other night and we're going to float the nights around some.  They think Wednesday is feasible and we might actually get to work out 2/week!

Agreed. Two person Kata sounds awesome :)

It is great, with the exception of not being able to practice by yourself.  I would love the capability to do more on my own.

Following! Being outside sounds like an awesome plan... Frost warning in June is just awkward... Sorry to hear that :(

It didn't get that bad.  It's gorgeous here now! 

Sooo, here's an update for the week since I've been a bit quiet here:

Judo

We were out Wednesday and Thursday night this week.  Wednesday ended up being mostly discussion of Judo politics once Sensei showed up.  The poor blue belt was unaware that Judo politics are a thing.  He certainly knows now.  They're currently more amusing than concerning.

Thursday was more of a serious workout.  We have a plan for any sessions that we have this summer:  Warmup, burpees, randori, kata.  All summer, however many times we can get together.  We may also visit the other club.

On my checklist:

• Gi is now mostly shrunk and one more wash should do it.  Next weekend.
  • Partner issue is sorted.  My usual partner, who is wonderfully reliable and willing to go.  The head of the grading board has said that, given the size difference, he's fine with me using a drop version of Kata Guruma for the grading.  I will hopefully not need it but the option is there.
  • Sensei has drilled it through my thick skull that this really is a formality and all is well.  I still want to practice, as does my partner.  He hasn't been on the Uke side as much and I'm rusty on the Tori side. 
  • Reviewing throws - I've only run across one I don't know and Sensei cleared that one up.  Obi Otoshi.  Not exactly standard curriculum.

Get Outside

Went for an extended walk for errands yesterday.  Also went for a short run today and stopped by the outdoor workout park for a few chin-ups. Less stamina than I'd hoped.  Will consider this a success.

Rest

Tuesday evening was a half success for rest.  There were some chores but not many. 

This morning was spent curled up reading the second half of Skin Game (re-read).  With a kitty snuggled up and tasty food.  It was good.

Full success :-)

Guitar

Did not happen.

Sliding+Grovel.gif

The downside: My left shoulder is acting up again, same .  I have apparently been slumping.  I took the last few days off burpees and modified to squat-thrust-stands today.  My cold packs are very dear to me.  After a few days of rest, it was quite a bit better.

• Like 1

Awesome on the getting outside and awesome on the judoing stuff!  Even with the introduction to politics!

However onto the guitar though...

T5ydBrq.gif

(j/k :P)

I'm glad that you shoulder is feeling better!  Pain is no bueno. 

Onward to week 2!!

• Like 1

So basically, you weren't here doing your challenge because you were out there doing your challenge. :P

Gotta work on that guitar, but everything else checks out wonderfully. Awesome!

• Like 3

So basically, you weren't here doing your challenge because you were out there doing your challenge. :tongue:

Gotta work on that guitar, but everything else checks out wonderfully. Awesome!

Yep!  Though I am trying to be here more.  The back half of last week was rather busy.

I bought new running sneakers on Saturday as I have hoped that they'll last longer than previous sneakers and give me less blisters.  The guy there noted that good sneakers should not require breaking in and that cotton socks are the worst offenders for blisters so I picked up a few pairs of double-layer running socks as well.  I tried a short run in them yesterday with no problems.  Wore regular socks to walk to work this morning and proto-blisters ensued.  Fortunately, I keep an older pair of sneakers at work for winter and am wearing those the rest of the day.  Looks like I need more light not-cotton socks.

Judo schedule for this week is not confirmed yet.

Early access to the FFXIV expansion starts on Friday!  We've completed the main story line and a few of the side story lines in preparation.  I'm working some on leveling the Black Mage class because it's fun to not heal sometimes too.  Fire.  LOTS of it. I have some high end (though not quite max) gear for the Black Mage job too because I had spare tokens that I wanted to spend in case they fizzle with the expansion.  They usually do.  I can also try the Astrologian as soon as we get access.  I have the base classes for it already.  Eeeeee!

Ohh, I also picked up two of these for more convenient lunch storage (with utensils!).  Because they're cute too.

In further excess money spending, I maybe also got an NF t shirt and hoodie..  Maybe.

• Like 4

Ooh, neat! I guess I don't tend to think of bento boxes as something that you can get in the West, but there they are! How fun!

Also, I had no idea that those kinds of socks were conducive to blisters. Huh. Not what I would have thought. I always figured that runner's socks were something that Big Running made up to scare you out of your money. I guess not.

Hope you kill all the things with fire!

• Like 2

As one of the smaller people fighting hard to get anything in on the bigger guys, this thread was a bit 0.o

There are definitely techniques that work better for larger or smaller people, but big guys have a pretty clear advantage overall in Judo.  There's always someone bigger than you though :-)

Ohh, I also picked up two of these for more convenient lunch storage (with utensils!).  Because they're cute too.

I considered those!  I ended up with a stainless-steel two-tier instead, and used the heck out of it for a couple of years, and then got a couple of more compact ones for an airline flight that I actually end up using a lot after the vacation.  (And a set of portable chopsticks, to take up less room in my bag than utensils.)

I'm really cheap about my bento boxes and try to keep my collections of things to the minimum number of useful items, but, man, every so often, I'd really love me a panda bento or a Totoro, or something else really awesome...

Ooh, neat! I guess I don't tend to think of bento boxes as something that you can get in the West, but there they are! How fun!

They totally are!  I adore mine.  They made packed primal lunches/food allergies go from a pain to the best thing that ever happened to my lunches.  The Japanese ones have some quirks to get used to, but they're very useful, and there's a heck of a lot of Western-style ones now, too.

• Like 2

Yeah, size matters. The greater the difference in size and strength, the more exact your technique needs to be, and it seems to me that in terms of gaining on one over the other, a linear progression in strength/size requires a quadratic progression in your proficiency to overcome. Does that make sense?

I'm glad that you are getting more judo time and enjoying the summer weather. Also that you are feeling calmer about the upcoming grading. Good that the examiner will let you do a sensible version of the technique.

Yeah, size matters. The greater the difference in size and strength, the more exact your technique needs to be, and it seems to me that in terms of gaining on one over the other, a linear progression in strength/size requires a quadratic progression in your proficiency to overcome. Does that make sense?

This is one of the places where the differences between judo and aikido come out. Smaller people have an advantage in aikido. The key is that aikido uses the attacker's momentum. The more mass the attacker has, the more momentum. Smaller nages have an easier time getting under uke's center of mass. That said, there are some techniques that just don't make sense to do when there is too much size difference between uke and nage.

I considered those!  I ended up with a stainless-steel two-tier instead, and used the heck out of it for a couple of years, and then got a couple of more compact ones for an airline flight that I actually end up using a lot after the vacation.  (And a set of portable chopsticks, to take up less room in my bag than utensils.)

I'm really cheap about my bento boxes and try to keep my collections of things to the minimum number of useful items, but, man, every so often, I'd really love me a panda bento or a Totoro, or something else really awesome...

They totally are!  I adore mine.  They made packed primal lunches/food allergies go from a pain to the best thing that ever happened to my lunches.  The Japanese ones have some quirks to get used to, but they're very useful, and there's a heck of a lot of Western-style ones now, too.

Those are great!  Must admit that I love the red one.  I like cute and I feel no shame.  Amazon has some really neat tools for making shapes and stuff. You're right.  They are the best for carrying your own food.

The one I got had a link for an ebook of bento-friendly recipes here.  I tried the first one and posted the results to the kitchen thread.

Yep, that makes perfect sense.  Technique is the best way to overcome a advantage in either size or speed.  From my perspective, I have to be both very good and very fast to try and take on the bigger guys and I still don't get a lot in on them.  The biggest downside to being bigger is the ease of skating by on size until they get thrown around by someone who worked very hard on technique. The guys I work out with try not to rely on size and they do a great job.  Makes winning anything against them that much harder *happy and annoyed face*

When I read that thread, my initial reaction was more along the lines of "JUST HOW MANY ADVANTAGES DO YOU NEED?"  That's not fair and it's good to see people considering these things.

I'm glad that you are getting more judo time and enjoying the summer weather. Also that you are feeling calmer about the upcoming grading. Good that the examiner will let you do a sensible version of the technique.

This is one of the places where the differences between judo and aikido come out. Smaller people have an advantage in aikido. The key is that aikido uses the attacker's momentum. The more mass the attacker has, the more momentum. Smaller nages have an easier time getting under uke's center of mass. That said, there are some techniques that just don't make sense to do when there is too much size difference between uke and nage.

Yep!  After practice tomorrow night, we'll have matched last summer for # of practices already.  Eh, we'll likely do the full throw, this is just backup.

We do use momentum as well but we don't assume that we'll have it.  Throws are learned with good momentum and little resistance.  We then train with increasing amounts of resistance to be able to use the tiniest bit of momentum to our advantage.  If someone completely commits to a throw  it's all or nothing.  They'll either throw you or they'll fail and you have a (usually) great opening to take them down.  The big guys control their momentum and try to sucker you into committing and then crush you :-D

In theory, we should be able to use any Judo throw to throw anyone but in practice, yes, you're going to tailor your approach to your opponent for exactly that reason.  Some throws just don't make sense to use with a significant size difference.

Meant to take tonight off.  Sort of did but got some chores done anyway.  The internal staircase is clean!  It was one my list of what Mistr would call dreaded tasks.  It was so dirty.  Ick.  Hoping to have the apartment clean enough to generally take this weekend off.  That would be really nice.

Blisters have mostly settled.  Will try walking to work with the new sneakers and the running socks.  If blisters do not ensue, I'm getting more of running socks.

Judo tomorrow night with the guys!

• Like 2