• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Teirin

Teirin might get her Shodan and remembers that outside exists.

Hey, some movement is good even on nights off. Don't sweat it.

It's only a problem because I'm prone to filling my free time with chores and not relaxing. 

Sneakers + running socks was a success this morning!  They even dried out really quick after running through the stream of a fire hydrant test.  I need more running socks.

Food is looking great today.  I tried mixing buckwheat, cherries, strawberries, cardamom and honey for breakfast.

• Like 2

You wouldn't think socks could be so complex. But the socks that work perfect for my work boots are absolutely horrid for running/walking long distance in running shoes. Glad you got that sorted out. 

Also, I'm late to the party but I think everyone should come visit Pink Ninja because I don't live that far away and you could meet me too.  :tongue:

• Like 2

Food is looking great today.  I tried mixing buckwheat, cherries, strawberries, cardamom and honey for breakfast.

That sounds really tasty! Cardomom + honey and strawberries!!! Yum!!!

You wouldn't think socks could be so complex. But the socks that work perfect for my work boots are absolutely horrid for running/walking long distance in running shoes. Glad you got that sorted out. 

Also, I'm late to the party but I think everyone should come visit Pink Ninja because I don't live that far away and you could meet me too.  :tongue:

Socks for every occasion.

That would be so awesome!  Would be great to have everyone together :-)

That sounds really tasty! Cardomom + honey and strawberries!!! Yum!!!

Yep!  I love the warmth of cardamom. 

Such complexity in a single garment! This is why I try to go barefoot more often. :tongue:

You are scary tough.  Some of us are not.  Will work up to the barefoot part.

In rather related news, acquired a cut on the bottom of my foot at Judo.  Toenails are evil.  Peroxided that when I got home.

One of the guys came up with a 6 round tabata set of Judo-related exercises.  That was fun.  We're going to trade off coming up with exercise sets.  I'll come up with next week's batch.  Then some Randori (I was terrible, need more practice) and a bunch of work on the kata.  Even 45 min of work blew a fair bit of rust off the tori side for me and the uke side for him.  It was good.

Heading to bed on time tonight, I swear.  Last night was not great.  I could not get my mind to settle.  I could have happily worked on stuff all night.  Tonight should be fine though.  I'm pretty calm.

Work has been good and productively busy.  It was a good day all around :-)

• Like 3

Have you considered f.lux for your computer? It knocks out the blue light in the screen and brings it down to sepia, which is awesome because the blue is the part that tricks our brains into thinking the sun is still shining.

Also, I find it helps me on nights when I have to get down early - the screen converts about the time the sun sets, and it serves as a reminder to me to get off and let myself decompress a bit.

Maybe that would help you sleep.

• Like 1

I have it and it does help. Just not enough sometimes.

Plastic Memory is going to break my heart, in the best way. Just finished episode 8. A bit drunk too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Those are great!  Must admit that I love the red one.  I like cute and I feel no shame.  Amazon has some really neat tools for making shapes and stuff. You're right.  They are the best for carrying your own food.

The red one was way more useful than I expected.  Compact, stacks up in half the space when empty, has a place to store my chopsticks, and the bowls are microwaveable.  And a great size for non-salad lunches.

The thing that always sucked about packing gluten-free lunches was that very few meals carry well, so you're grabbing random bags of things, and it's like, celery and cheese and a banana is fine, but... and nothing survives a commute in my bag in good shape anyway.  Bento boxes were such an improvement.  I haven't picked up any cute carrot-cutters yet, but it's tempting.  And the frolicking panda toothpicks.  The only thing I've got so far are the muffin cups to divide things.  Which makes making lunches super-easy, you just think in modular little squares.

Sometimes, if I'm really thinking in advance, I make one for breakfast, too, because I'm not very efficient with my time in the morning.  Alas, I don't tend to have enough space in the fridge to batch-cook that much stuff, and it's annoying to do from scratch every day.

• Like 2

and googling panda bento took me to a link for making panda onigiri.  Superb!

Teirin - completely cheering you on!  YAY for lining up summer training and a grading partner who you like working with.  Brilliant.

Also loving the relaxing time and getting outdoors elements of your challenge.  Nearly midsummer!

Congratulations on getting your stairs clean! The judo training sounds like fun. I'm glad you and your partner are making progress together.

I hope you get to have fun outside this weekend.

I 'hate' stuff on my feet, so try to keep it to slip on shoes or flip-flops when I have to wear something...I have a pair of minimalist shoes that I bought to wear for walking/running, but the seam on the back rubbed to the point of making it bleed and painful to walk in, so I have to wear socks if I wear these shoes, which in my mind defeats the purpose so I don't wear them anymore!

I am, as always, in awe of all you accomplish...keep up the good work!

The red one was way more useful than I expected.  Compact, stacks up in half the space when empty, has a place to store my chopsticks, and the bowls are microwaveable.  And a great size for non-salad lunches.

The thing that always sucked about packing gluten-free lunches was that very few meals carry well, so you're grabbing random bags of things, and it's like, celery and cheese and a banana is fine, but... and nothing survives a commute in my bag in good shape anyway.  Bento boxes were such an improvement.  I haven't picked up any cute carrot-cutters yet, but it's tempting.  And the frolicking panda toothpicks.  The only thing I've got so far are the muffin cups to divide things.  Which makes making lunches super-easy, you just think in modular little squares.

Sometimes, if I'm really thinking in advance, I make one for breakfast, too, because I'm not very efficient with my time in the morning.  Alas, I don't tend to have enough space in the fridge to batch-cook that much stuff, and it's annoying to do from scratch every day.

Yep!  I'm finding the same with my new ones.  I am also familiar with whatever-I-Can-carry-easily lunches.  If you do get any veggie cutters or picks, let me know if you like them.  They look cute but I'm not really inclined to get them.  I'd spend that much more time prepping food 0.o

very much so.  I am a big fan of batch cooking.  I usually have cooked chopped meat on hand, cooked rice, frozen veggies, and some sauces.  Right now I also have biscuits and muffins.  Frozen fruit with cottage cheese and honey or sunflower seeds for breakfast.  Bananas and apples on hand.    Cheese and crackers.  My preferences run to food assembly during the week.

and googling panda bento took me to a link for making panda onigiri.  Superb!

Teirin - completely cheering you on!  YAY for lining up summer training and a grading partner who you like working with.  Brilliant.

Also loving the relaxing time and getting outdoors elements of your challenge.  Nearly midsummer!

So cute and tasty....

Thanks!  No it isn't!  It is not midsummer.  Denial is a happy place.

Congratulations on getting your stairs clean! The judo training sounds like fun. I'm glad you and your partner are making progress together.

I hope you get to have fun outside this weekend.

Thanks!  It is fun and I'm hoping we work on some more in addition to Randori.

We had Frisbee planned for today but it rained hard all day long so that didn't happen. Ah well.

I 'hate' stuff on my feet, so try to keep it to slip on shoes or flip-flops when I have to wear something...I have a pair of minimalist shoes that I bought to wear for walking/running, but the seam on the back rubbed to the point of making it bleed and painful to walk in, so I have to wear socks if I wear these shoes, which in my mind defeats the purpose so I don't wear them anymore!

I am, as always, in awe of all you accomplish...keep up the good work!

Time for new minimalist shoes :-(  I've never tried them.  Which ones do you like?

I always thought of short people having the advantage in Judo. A lower center of gravity makes for an easier time of throwing people around.

Short and small aren't quite the same thing.  Being short, stocky, and strong is an excellent combination.  It's easier to get in under people but with the mass and strength to back it up.  A number of the more effective fighters I've seen around here have that type of build and they use it very very well. 

Week 2:

Judo - practice was good, more this week and the grading on Saturday!

Get outside - Nope, frisbee was planned but cancelled due to rain.

Rest - Not so much.  I may have taken a few hours off one evening but I couldn't tell you when.  This weekend was wall to wall commitments and chores.

Guitar - brief, but yes!  I may have gotten some DLC form the Steam sale...

Came up with the tabata rounds for practice this week:

1 - Star jump squats

2 - double arm drag

3 - try to turn over partner

4 - defend against turnovers

5 - hip switches

6 - donkey kicks

Now to convince them to do more than 1 round :-D

• Like 4

Oh, I did schedule Friday the 26th as a vacation day. We'll see if I can have it without work calling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Week 2:

Judo - practice was good, more this week and the grading on Saturday!

Get outside - Nope, frisbee was planned but cancelled due to rain.

Rest - Not so much.  I may have taken a few hours off one evening but I couldn't tell you when.  This weekend was wall to wall commitments and chores.

Guitar - brief, but yes!  I may have gotten some DLC form the Steam sale...

Came up with the tabata rounds for practice this week:

1 - Star jump squats

2 - double arm drag

3 - try to turn over partner

4 - defend against turnovers

5 - hip switches

6 - donkey kicks

Now to convince them to do more than 1 round :-D

I hate those...oh god that sounds just evil and brutal.  Fantastic...but brutal.  Oof!

I hate those...oh god that sounds just evil and brutal.  Fantastic...but brutal.  Oof!

The general plan for these is to pack a good bit of Judo-related suffering into a few minutes. He said no burpees so I had to come up with something else :-D

• Like 2

Tabata is awesome!!

Hope you get some time to breath this coming week. Even with the commitments, you seem to do well in workout and achieving the goals. 

Steam Sales is hurting me. I have to make a list of the games I bought but haven't finished to stop myself from buying a new one.

Tabata is awesome!!

Hope you get some time to breath this coming week. Even with the commitments, you seem to do well in workout and achieving the goals. 

Steam Sales is hurting me. I have to make a list of the games I bought but haven't finished to stop myself from buying a new one.

Yep, they're a nice warmup for class.  Erm, I'm working on the commitments and some time off. 

You are not alone on that :-)  It hasn't been abusing my bank balance terribly, but that's only because I know I don't have the time to play more, and FFXIV just released that expansion...

My, you have traded busy at work for busy at judo. I hope work stays calm and you can take full advantage of having a day off.

Work is still busy, but not overtime busy.  Should be able to take Friday off still but my off time tends to be rescheduled in general so I'm not calling is guaranteed.

Judo

Judo was good last night.  We're trying variants on 3 person tag out Randori so everyone gets a workout without overmuch sitting out.  Last night's variant went well.  One minute cycles with one person rotating in and out each round.  Means two minutes of brawling and one minute of sitting out.  Lots of fun :-) 

Then we worked on the rougher throws for the grading this weekend.  Uchi Mata is still rough.  I am oddly uncoordinated with the kata setup for it.  Mostly a matter of overthinking it.  Once I stop thinking about it and do it, things tend to go better.  We may practice again on Friday night if my training partner can make it.  Then the clinic on Saturday.  Not fretting, but that may change.

No tabata, but it will be back next week.

Offtime

In an oddly good thing, I told chores to sod off last night and watched the first two episodes of Dark Matter before heading to Judo.  I get a Farscape crossed with Firefly vibe off it that it may or may not live up to.  Lots of standard tropes but some good potential. Will keep watching it. 

Tonight's plan is to take the evening mostly off (dishes need to be done if I am to pack a lunch for tomorrow) and play some FF with a friend.

I dumped all of my regular commitments into a calender so I could see them.  I feel like I don't have the time to take off and that has some basis, but I also do not ensure that it happens enough. I am quite good at adulting, but bad with self care.  I need to limit the time I spend on chores and accept when things are generally good enough.  The world will not end if everything is not immaculate.  Besides, I have cats.  Immaculate doesn't last.

Sf06AMv.png

Red is work and transit to Judo

Green is Judo and Walking (exercise time).  Burpees, stretching, etc not included.

Peach is chores, errands, batch cooking, food prep, and maintenancey things.  These are more flexible and may be adjusted but do need to be done.

Blue/lilac is social time:  gaming of assorted types, hanging out and watching stuff with friends, skype time with friends.

Sunday night game is a new addition starting this weekend that conflicts with another irregular commitment.  Will try to arrange around that.  I don't get to spend much time with that group since they live in other cities (Skype game).  I don't know if I can do this but I really want to spend the time with them.

So there is unallocated time there but I need to limit the chores and maintenance stuff to their time and not just let them take over everything.  The kitties like it when I watch TV or play video games since it means that I'm stationary and will snuggle them.  I worry that I don't pay them enough attention either.

Outside

Yes, that exists...  Will try to run tonight or tomorrow.  My frisbee buddy has a strained back and isn't up to it. 

For no particular reason other than it amuses me:

OtynR6f.gif

• Like 4

Ooooh, that randori drill sounds fun. We have three people training in my dojo right now. Something like this would be right up our alley, I bet...

Ooooh, that randori drill sounds fun. We have three people training in my dojo right now. Something like this would be right up our alley, I bet...

We have a few other three person exercises you might like:

• That randori drill above works for newaza or tachiwaza randori.
  • variant where you don't use a timer, just tag out whenever someone is put in a hold/thrown.  Leads to a certain level of pouncing during ground work....
  • Three person uchi komis - One person turns in and pulls the uke down the mats while the third hold uke's belt and ensures that they don't actually get thrown.  They also add extra resistance and force tori to really work for the turn in.
  • Two people are on opposite sides of the mat, other in the middle.  The middle person throws one of the side people, then does forward rolls to the other person and throws them.  They then forward roll back to the first person and throw them.  Repeat until person in the middle is too dizzy to continue and swap out.
  • All three in a circle and grab sleeves near the shoulder.  Try and foot sweep each other.  Once someone hits the ground, they're out.  Continue with two until someone else is swept.
  • max throws in a minute.  One person is tori and the others run around back to the "lineup" after being thrown.  Admittedly best done with a crash mat or a few cushy gymnastic mats.  Control goes to crap after a while.

Hope those help!

• Like 4