• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Teirin

Teirin might get her Shodan and remembers that outside exists.

I have some cutesy cutters. My sister gave me a pop chef for Christmas and I bought some metal animal & flower cutters. I say they are for when I make lunch for the little one, but I like them too. I use them to cut out soap shapes in addition to food. Not at the same time, they get washed!

I rarely use them to make fun food for just me. Takes extra time and I don't care if my cheese looks like a star. I have used them to pack food for backpacking. I thought it'd be fun to pull out tortilla shapes instead of chunks. It was. If friends or the little one are involved in either the consumption or the making, I'm all about it.

I really want a bento box, but since I live at work and can go home for lunch, when I have time to eat, I tell myself I don't have a good reason to spend money on one. So I live vicariously though my boyfriends daughter and pack her bentos in a laptop lunch thing when I'm there and schools in. And when I went to your link, I got distracted by the evil "also buy these things" bar and now I want square muffin cups.

I like your (very full) calendar. The color coding is nice. I try but I suck at keeping a consistent system for colors. I think I overthink it. I keep wanting the colors to match the activity, like green for work cause I work in the woods.

Being short, heavy and flexible was a good combo in jujitsu. I was heavy enough to keep people where I put them, but flexible enough that it was harder to hurt me.

Thanks for the recipe book link. I see myself caving and using some of my spending money to get a bento box. For picnics. Cause I can.

Some of them are just good recipes. I want to try the chicken curry salad.

Sf06AMv.png

Red is work and transit to Judo

Green is Judo and Walking (exercise time).  Burpees, stretching, etc not included.

Peach is chores, errands, batch cooking, food prep, and maintenancey things.  These are more flexible and may be adjusted but do need to be done.

Blue/lilac is social time:  gaming of assorted types, hanging out and watching stuff with friends, skype time with friends.

I did this once on a whim at work to burn some time.

I cried a bit when my saw how little free time I have.  And then understood why I'm okay with hermiting most of the time.

Day off is in question.  Like any time I try to take off that doesn't have airline tickets involved.

Also this makes me sad.  Hope your day off is still possible!

• Like 1

I have some cutesy cutters. My sister gave me a pop chef for Christmas and I bought some metal animal & flower cutters. I say they are for when I make lunch for the little one, but I like them too. I use them to cut out soap shapes in addition to food. Not at the same time, they get washed!

I rarely use them to make fun food for just me. Takes extra time and I don't care if my cheese looks like a star. I have used them to pack food for backpacking. I thought it'd be fun to pull out tortilla shapes instead of chunks. It was. If friends or the little one are involved in either the consumption or the making, I'm all about it.

I really want a bento box, but since I live at work and can go home for lunch, when I have time to eat, I tell myself I don't have a good reason to spend money on one. So I live vicariously though my boyfriends daughter and pack her bentos in a laptop lunch thing when I'm there and schools in. And when I went to your link, I got distracted by the evil "also buy these things" bar and now I want square muffin cups.

I like your (very full) calendar. The color coding is nice. I try but I suck at keeping a consistent system for colors. I think I overthink it. I keep wanting the colors to match the activity, like green for work cause I work in the woods.

Being short, heavy and flexible was a good combo in jujitsu. I was heavy enough to keep people where I put them, but flexible enough that it was harder to hurt me.

Thanks for the recipe book link. I see myself caving and using some of my spending money to get a bento box. For picnics. Cause I can.

Some of them are just good recipes. I want to try the chicken curry salad.

Ooh, cool notion.  I may or may not get cutters and picks at some point.  Your boyfriend's daughter probably loves those lunches!

They all started the same colour and then I realized that it made more sense to categorize.  Also, I get excited about these things.

Yep, also an excellent combo. 

I did this once on a whim at work to burn some time.

I cried a bit when my saw how little free time I have.  And then understood why I'm okay with hermiting most of the time.

Also this makes me sad.  Hope your day off is still possible!

Yeah, I'm coming to the same conclusion.  It's ok to hermit when you spend that much time with other people.

Day off did happen though I ended up staying at work several hours late last night to manage it.

This morning did start with handling a few chores after which I deemed the apartment good enough.  Mostly slacked off today.  My Grandparents were thinking of visiting but that did not end up happening.  They wanted to come and watch the grading tomorrow but it's a clinic and grading rolled into one.  9am to 5pm.  I thought it was 8 but it is apparently 9.  Not really a spectator thing. 

I have packed a ton of food for tomorrow as we're going to be active all day.  All is ready.  Studied my book a bit today and I have one last practice last night with one of the guys.  Sadly, not my training partner.  He has family commitments.  So glad he has been out as much as he has.  Sensei always told us that we'd spend the last three months prior to the Shodan grading practicing nothing else.  Did that ever not happen.  Ah well. 

Not much else challengey going on today.  I considered going for a run but my knees feel a bit loose after I run and I do not want to potentially mess anything up before tomorrow.

I did run across a few articles of note:

How not to get injured at Judo - #3 amuses me endlessly because I am 60 kg and my most common workout partners tend to be ~85 kg and ~110 kg, and there's occasionally a 110 kg yellow belt rugby player :-D  Seriously, he used to be on our national rugby team and still plays for a local team.  That being said, it was advice for newbies.  I'm experienced enough to avoid most injury and we are careful.  The guys I fight most are very aware of their size and strength and are less likely to hurt me then guys closer to my size.  I don't actually have any women to fight with these days.

For later - a set of videos on Kuzushi (breaking your opponent's balance).

For the curious, Judo breaks down throwing into three stages:  tsukuri is positioning yourself to throw someone, kuzushi is breaking their balance (may happen before or after tsukuri depending on the throw), and kake is executing the throw.  Uchikomis (repetitive turn in exercises) tend to be tsukuri and kuzushi for any given throw.

• Like 1

Ooh, good Judo vids. I'mma have to make a point of watching those at some point.

Take tonight and get some rest. You'll have enough to deal with tomorrow.

I have a big update stewed up, mostly on the topic of Saturday's Kata clinic, but I haven't had the time to get it written up.  The very short version: it went well and I graded to Shodan.  It still doesn't feel like it's mine but it apparently is. 

Very brief week 3 summary:

Judo - pretty much completed other than trying to get people out to work out, which appears to be very likely for the rest of the summer.

Get outside - Went for a run on Sunday.  Hoping to do more of this now that the big goal is sorted.

Rest - Yes, I took parts of two evenings off AND took a day off work.  A few minor chores were done on the day off but nothing big or time consuming. 

Guitar - Nope, was sidetracked with everything else.

Mini-challenge - No, but I honestly did not really expect much out of last week for non-Judo work. 

More Judo tomorrow night.  We're hoping a few more people show up now that the strong focus on Kata is decreasing.  We'll take a week or so long break from that but we learned a lot and will be getting back to it soon.  It will be so much better by the time we get to the next Kata tournament.

Not actually relevant to challenge nerd stuff:

II'm reading the Lies of Locke Lamora and am enjoying it very much.   I also picked up the only season of Defying Gravity based on friend recommendations backed by very good online reviews.  I'm trying to spend more time unwinding in general.  Besides, my cats like the snuggle time.

I joined a friend's online Pathfinder game last night.  It's not something I would have added to my pile of commitments but they're really great friends that I do not get to see otherwise given that they all live elsewhere. I really want to see them in some way and I really hope I can make this work. Still sorting out a character.  I'm playing an alchemist who is a rather braver version of university me.  This one thinks she can drink anything.  I rolled crap stats but that's normal for me.  Looks like it's going to be fun.  A cleric was also an option but I play a White Mage healer in FFXIV on Sunday afternoons. Get a bit tired of being a heal bot sometimes, you know?  Besides, I can make healing potions, which I will do.  I just get to throw bombs too.  Need to get used to both Pathfinder and Roll20.

• Like 8

Awesome!! 

Rest - Yes, I took parts of two evenings off AND took a day off work.

Please teach me how to do this...

YAY yay yay YAY YAY!!!!!

Superb!

You do deserve it - cause if you didn't you wouldn't now be shodan!!!!!

Superb work!

How sore are you today?

Bloody brilliant. 

I had a rather stiff back the next day but nothing too bad.  My poor kata partner was in rather worse shape.  I owe him bigtime.  He's taking this week off Judo for very understandable reasons. 

Awesome!! 

Please teach me how to do this...

It involved neglecting other things that needed to be done.  I ended up catching up on those yesterday.  I generally try not to spend Canada Day doing chores but things just needed to be done. 

On the upside, I did stay in bed and read yesterday morning for a few hours and then hung out with friends later.  A few of us went and watched the fireworks afterwards.  They were nice.  That covers my rest goal for the week.

There may or may not be judo tonight.  Depends on if anyone is free.

In mini challenge news, I have a 5 min stretching routine that I do every night before bed.  It works well for me but it's mostly moving so isn't really what the mini-challenge was supposed to be.  Ooops.

And in particularly Canadian news.

• Like 3

Congratulations on getting your shodan!

That weekly schedule looks strangely familiar. You have very little time to yourself. Especially when you often have to work overtime. I hear you on striking a balance between keeping your living space in decent shape and not spending all your time on chores.

I like the video of the moose. Last weekend my partner and I were walking in the neighborhood and saw a doe crossing the road about a block in front of us. A car was driving slowly up the street (a residential side street) and waited. Good thing too. A faun ran out right in front of the car. Followed by a second faun 30 seconds later. Deer near the city limits are completely normal here. Lucky for us we don't have moose this far south.

Ahaha, you feel my pain now, regarding low reps and these PvPs. Ain't it just groovy!?

In all seriousness, glad you got some rest. Kicking ass like you do requires some down time every now and again.

• Like 1

Congratulations on getting your shodan!

That weekly schedule looks strangely familiar. You have very little time to yourself. Especially when you often have to work overtime. I hear you on striking a balance between keeping your living space in decent shape and not spending all your time on chores.

I like the video of the moose. Last weekend my partner and I were walking in the neighborhood and saw a doe crossing the road about a block in front of us. A car was driving slowly up the street (a residential side street) and waited. Good thing too. A faun ran out right in front of the car. Followed by a second faun 30 seconds later. Deer near the city limits are completely normal here. Lucky for us we don't have moose this far south.

Thanks!

Yeah, over scheduling is not good.  Most things got cancelled last week so there was a bunch of time off.  This week is not going so well.

Yaaaaay shodan!

Thanks!

Ahaha, you feel my pain now, regarding low reps and these PvPs. Ain't it just groovy!?

In all seriousness, glad you got some rest. Kicking ass like you do requires some down time every now and again.

Yep.  It's fine. 

Not kicking so much ass lately.  Working on getting back to it.

Oh man...I love Madoka.  I love that anime so much.  Have you seen the Rebellion movie?  Oh wow that is a rough one too.

I haven't.  A friend watched it and had very mixed feelings.  I haven't decided if I'm game or not yet. 

The next one up is the old 6 ep Gunbuster series.  I will cry at the end. 

Week 4 Summary

Judo - nobody else was available last week.  No Judo happened.  Sort of fail.  I was game but there was nobody to practice with.

Get outside - Not so much, no.  I had a few plans that didn't work out and then I didn't even get out for a run.  Fail.

Rest - Big success.  After the previous weeks, I caught up on all the stuff that I neglected and then took some down time.  Largely possible due to Judo and several other commitments last week being cancelled.  I hung out at home by myself and with friends, made good food, read some, watched TV.  It was great.

Guitar - you'd think, and yet I didn't practice.  Crap.  Fail.

So it felt like a very good week, but it was not stellar goalwise.  I don't regret it though. 

Week 5 is not starting out terribly well.  Monday night is the only night I've gotten more than 5.5 hours of sleep since I think Thursday of last week.  I'm waking up a lot and dwelling on things or semi-dreaming and not realising that I'm sort of awake.  Dreams about work, trying to generate a Pathfinder character, whatever else is on my mind.  No focus during meditation. 

The theme of the week in general seems to be that everything needs 3 to 5 revisions after minds are changed and details are revealed.  The news is also full of crap and I need to stay away from reddit until I'm in a better frame of mind.  I may also drop the Lies of Locke Lamora.  I was really enjoying heist antics and intrigue but it went rather grimdark when I was reading last night before bed.  Not a big fan of grimdark in general and definitely not in the mood for it right now. 

On the upside, Judo is back on this week.  We worked out last night and while it didn't go well (I fought like crap) I was still happy with it.  It showed me where my weaknesses are a bit more clearly and the guys are great about feedback and pointing out tells and frequent mistakes.  I still don't really feel like the black belt is mine but I need to try and do better to deserve it. 

I'm not feeling so great today, probably largely due to impending period.  Stomach is rather sour, my boobs are swollen and sore, and I'm just plain tired.  Taking tonight off and hopefully it doesn't turn into anything else. 

Might watch some more Continuum or crack out something happy to read.  Burn some stuff in FF.  Maybe try out the Dark Knight spec.   Eat real food.

Geez, it's enough to make you just wish everything would stop spinning for a while, huh? Too bad that's not what we get.

Maybe instead of doing all that stuff you could just get to bed a bit earlier?