Phayze’s League of LEGO Legionnaires Lets Loose!

Phayze

Main Quest: Become My Own Hero

In my last challenge, I assembled a ragtag team of freedom fighters to stand up against their oppressors, who happened to have the support of the galaxy-renowned peacekeeping and security contractor “The Beast of Eschatonâ€. We won the battle, but there is still much to do before we win the war....

In light of its recent defeat and the news that our rebellion has acquired backing and new weapons from a group of fabulously wealthy and equally anonymous donors, the BoE has called in reinforcements from off-world to wipe us out. We’ve managed to hack their database and get some intel - it’s not much, but what we’ve seen isn’t pretty. These guys are good - real good. A straight-up spec-ops team, armed to the teeth and covered in kill-silhouettes. It’s kind of flattering, really, if you think about it...

Anyway, it’s going to take tactics, preparation and a whole lot of nerve to pull this one off. Let’s take a closer look at what we know about the enemy, and how to deal with them.

tl;dnr

Artillery Ape: Prop-free skills training sessions, 2x/week

Gatling Raptor: Prep 1+ build/week for Repubrick.com

Phantom Mantis: Mindful Coffee 7 days/week.

The S.W.A.R.M.: Complete all HabitRPG Dailies 7 days/week.

Artillery Ape (DEX+3, STR+1)

Artillery%20Ape%203.jpg

Missile Monkey here is going to be our worst nightmare if we screw around in his effective firing range, but once you’re inside of that he’s just another nut to crack. Here’s the deal: penetrate his perimeter, get in close and hit him with all you’ve got!

Another “move fast, hit hard†mission! This time, I’ll force myself to arrange my skills training (usually spent with my Rope Dart) to focus on various forms of prop-free shenanigans (acro, breakdance, capoeira, etc.) 2x per week.

Gatling Raptor (CHA+2)

Gatling%20Raptor%202.jpg

That double gatling can chew through cover like a bowl of peaches, so don’t do anything stupid like trying to take this thing on alone. We’ll need someone to jump around to get its attention and draw it into the open so the others can dogpile it.

My mobile frame designs need more attention, so to get it I will post them on Repubrick.com - a hosting service for folks to share instructions for their LEGO creations. This involves finalizing a design + color scheme, taking/doctoring pretty pictures, generating the instructions, packaging it all together and, of course, actually uploading it. I will complete a total of 6 by the end of the challenge, preferably at a rate of 1/week, though I may wait until I have a few prepped and upload them all at once.

Phantom Mantis (WIS+2, CON+2)

phantom%20mantis%201.jpg

It may look ungainly, but it’s a mother of a mover. Our best chance against this guy is to hang back and zero in from a safe distance. It’s going to take serious focus and precision to land a hit before it gets close enough to land one back.

I think it’s past time to take my meditation beyond “formal practiceâ€... as the great Ted Meissner always says: Sit back, relax, and have a nice Mindful Coffee, 1 cup 7 days/week. Other intentionally mindful activities are also allowable.

The S.W.A.R.M. (STA+2, STR+3)

The%20SWARM.jpg

Apparently The Beast is desperate enough to break out some cheap gimmicks on us... these ugly little mini-frame drones are equipped with top-of-the-line piloting AI and an experimental data processing and communications suite called SWARM (Synchronized Weapons Assault Readiness Module). Individually they aren’t much more than a nuisance, so do whatever you can to keep them from overwhelming you with superior numbers.

All good Habiticians know that Dailies attack in swarms, too. For this mission, I will divide, conquer and complete all of my Dailies every single day! This includes stuff like all the fitness crud I record in my battlelog, household chores, participation in the Mini Challenge, and whatever else needs doing.

Rebel%20Co%202.jpg

Yeeeeaaah, this is how we roll.

Let’s get versatile!

• Like 1

Level 0 Air Nomad Assassin
STR: 0 STA: 0 DEX: 0 CON: 0 WIS: 0 CHA: 0

Current Challenge: [Url= http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/80570-phayze-accepts-an-apprenticeship-as-an-airbender-respawn/]Apprentice Airbender![/url]

Check Out My LEGO Stuff on Flickr!
"The next golden age of human achievement begins here and now" -Neil Degrasse Tyson, Cosmos

You continue to amuse and inspire.

Get Buildin' and Battlin'!

156988_d79036.jpg?w370h370

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

T: I do what I can. ^^

---

Okay, I'm back from my half-ass week, and feeling like I could use another, BUT I won't let that stop me from prototyping this challenge's goal set for Week 0. I've got a couple of days off work, so my Dailies will be modified accordingly, but with some planning I can make sure that I hit all of my challenge goals without letting changes in my regular schedule get to me. I've always let this be a problem in the past, but NO MORE!

Week 0 is all about the prep work for my plucky freedom fighting mech company. We'll need to mount those Single Shot Rockets, lock and load the machine guns, polish the optics on the sniper scope - you know, normal stuff. The Beast will be doing the same, so we have to be ready for them.

T-6 Days until contact. MOVE IT PEOPLE!!

Current Challenge: [Url= http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/80570-phayze-accepts-an-apprenticeship-as-an-airbender-respawn/]Apprentice Airbender![/url]

"The next golden age of human achievement begins here and now" -Neil Degrasse Tyson, Cosmos

IS IT ROBOT FIGHTING TIME?

I like robot fighting time.  

TELL US OF YOUR ADVENTURES!

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

I'm here! Sorry guys, were having some medical unpleasantness in the family, so that's taking a lot of my attention lately. I probably won't be super active on the forums for a while (not that I am on a normal day, but still...). Also, no diorama build this week :( Maybe next time? Here's a thing I've been working on:

18401379882_aaece762b7_b.jpg

Not quite what I was going for, but it's kind of cool, I guess.

ANYWAY!

Turn #0: Eyes up!  We’ve got contacts on the board!

Artillery Ape: 2/2 (Prop-free skills training sessions)

Gatling Raptor: 1/1 (Prep 1+ build for Repubrick.com)

Phantom Mantis: 6/7 (Mindful Coffee)

The S.W.A.R.M.: 7/7 (Complete all HabitRPG Dailies)

Sit-Rep: I totally cheated on The SWARM this week. u.u  I know I said some grandiose stuff the other day about not letting disruptions to my schedule trash my usual plans, but EXTRA disruptions to my schedule came along and that was that.  Regardless!  I adjusted my expectations for myself pretty quickly then decided on a bare minimum set of things that needed doing, and got them done. Not bad for week 0, right?

I have 90% of a submission for Repubrick ready, but I subbed out the duty of making my cover image for it look pretty (because there are those who can do it waaay better than me), so I’m waiting to get that back before I can post it.  I’m calling that “close enough†and taking credit for it.  ^^

Forgot to get all mindful on something one day, but that’s not bad for a new habit with no rigid structure or timing to it.  I’m feeling a little tempted to shift this goal to something more like tech-fasting (mindful phone fiddling?), but I might just make that into a HabitRPG thing and work it from there.... or procrastinate and figure something out for next challenge.^^;

The team is fully loaded, and ready to engage for Week 1!

TOTSUGEKI!!

• Like 2

Oh dear - family medical things?  I hope everyone is ok, and that anything that was not so good is currently on the mend.  I'm impressed that you were able to do this much stuff even with unpleasant things happening.  Spend time in the real world, do what you need to do, and we shall be all the more excited for your updates when they come!

Techfasting/mindful phone fiddling - I recommend it.  It really does do some incredible things to your brain and your productivity, and plus every step we can take to disengage from the Matrix is a step well taken.  Reclaim your brain, Phayze! 

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Thanks, Rowan! ^^ We're getting along, but it's challenging. Stupid doctors never return your calls when you really need them... -_-

Anyway, still plugging along. More on Sunday, assuming things settle down a bit.

• Like 1

Hey Phayze!  Hope things are improving.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdgLtzWJhbU

Also, how're the mechs doing?

Let’s have a look and see, shall we?

18653885910_2d3acd876b_c.jpg

â€I am a single bulle- WHAT THE HELL!?â€

Turn #1: Blindsided

Artillery Ape: 2/2 (Prop-free skills training sessions)

Gatling Raptor: 0/6 (Prep 1+ build for Repubrick.com)

Phantom Mantis: 7/7 (Mindful Coffee)

The S.W.A.R.M.: 7/7 (Complete all HabitRPG Dailies)

Sit-Rep: I seriously can’t tell you how glad I am that I made this such a low-key challenge!

Like I said earlier, Week 1 was pretty crazy.  The short version is this:  Mrs. Phayze got very sick, went to the doc, got sent to the ER, got some meds, got worse, dropped the meds, started getting better.  Apparently her thyroid is overactive, though we’re still working out why/how that happened and what the hell we’re going to do about it.  In the mean time, we’ve got the symptoms more or less under control, we’re going to see an endocrinologist ASAP, and she’s been researching foods and supplements that might help her keep things from going haywire again.  It’s been... educational.

I don’t mean to complain, but here’s a list of other things that have gone off the rails in the last two weeks: our washer/dryer combo unit broke (again), and we had to spend about $400 on a new washer and an outdoor drying rack.  The water supply to the fridge sprung a leak, so our filter and ice maker are out of commision - we bought a reverse osmosis filter for the sink because we’ve been wanting one anyway, but with all of the other stuff going on, it’s still in a box on the floor... taunting me.  The washer delivery guys needed me to move my (white) car so they wouldn’t have to block the street with the box truck, and I accidentally left it under a stand of mulberry trees all weekend.  My car is no longer white.  I’m not joking, between the berries and the bird crap, I couldn’t even see out the windshield.  o0  Double irony points, because I JUST took our other car to the carwash and had it cleaned within an inch of it’s life.

But I digress!  For challenge purposes, this week was actually quite a success.  I didn’t track much, but I made some adjustments to my Dailies and considered it a win if I got anything accomplished that wasn’t strictly essential for my continued survival; on balance there were far more wins than losses, so I’m quite pleased with myself.  â€œMindful Coffee†has more often been “mindful toothbrushing†or something similarly mundane and obligatory, but that still counts.  One of my prop-free training sessions was only about 10 minutes of playing along with a tai chi video on youtube, but I’m going to say that that counts too.  I’m very interested in the way tai chi moves, and I want to understand it better.  I don’t have anything posted to Repubrick yet, but I did some prep work (before the poo-storm hit) on several builds, so I think I’m well on track with that one.

In other news: I don't like how I've been doing my strength my training, so I'm switching to a revised edition of the high frequency, sub-maximal protocol I was using a couple of challenges ago. It's more fun, fits better in my life, and gave me better results in BOTH the physique and abilities department. Win-win, right?

Here's v1.0

Day 1: Test AMRAPs for Pushups, LyingKnee Tucks, Horizontal Row (bent legs), Bulgarian Split Squat.

Days 2, 3, 4, 5: 3 sets of 50% (or so) AMRAP for each move on the agenda, done as a circuit, rest as needed.

Days 6, 7: Rest

Early testing indicates that I'll be using a lower %AMRAP next time.

So, here's why I keep using missions like The SWARM:

Last night I really really wanted to skip a couple of my tasks - nothing big, just a few little housekeeping duties at work - and I thought "you know what? Screw it. I'm going to take the hit and just let them side." Then I remembered the SWARM... it was easy to lose a few HP in habitrpg, but losing an easy point in the challenge ON TOP of that was just to much negative reinforcement for my taste.

Synergy! It's brutal. ^^

• Like 2

I hope that you can fix some of the things that broke in your house - tinkering is fun, but less so when there's tons of stuff that needs to be done and it's kind of more imperative.

Ah, the ol' one-two punch.  Glad you got done what needed to get done - sometimes a rebel's just gotta hike up their mud-stained, weathered, scavenged-scrap-metal-reinforced trousers and knock some housekeeping items off the to-do list.  Like grooming the tiger-lizards, or mucking out the water-purification tanks.  Yes, life is hard out here on the radioactive frontier, but if you keep the dust out of your elaborate jury-rigged weaponry and keep a sharp eye out on the horizon for raiding parties, it can be a good life - a life worth living.  

• Like 1

Thanks, Rowan! As long as I can keep the hideously mutated giant insect-people from laying their eggs in my food cache, I'm all good. ^^

---

18937255359_b9cf288387_b.jpg

Upgrades

Turn #2: Maintain your position.

Artillery Ape: 4/4 (Prop-free skills training sessions)

Phantom Mantis: 14/14 (Mindful Coffee)

The S.W.A.R.M.: 14/14 (Complete all HabitRPG Dailies)

Sit-Rep: Still nothing officially uploaded to Repubrick, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not working on it! I’ve been figuring out how I want to package the instructions, what I want to include in each “set†(things like variants, weapons, accessories, etc.), and then I have to set up the cover image and get the file to the admin guy at Repubrick so that he can do some magic rendering to make it prettier. I’ve got three sets that are at least mostly through this process, and I intend to have three more finished by the end of week 3, then I’m home free!

Everything else is going pretty well. I think I’m seeing some improvements in my cartwheels thanks to the Artillery Ape (though they are still embarrassingly bad), and on the days when I get to spin my dart it’s been fun to try integrating it into some of the acro moves. Mindful Coffee remains, more often than not, not-coffee, but that’s okay with me. Have you ever really paid any attention to what it’s like to brush your teeth? Focusing on the things your gums feel while getting cozy with a sonicare is a completely unique experience that I highly recommend.

I need to make some time to be more active on the forums... I’ve been super busy with junk around the house, so whenever I get a little me-time I’ve been blowing it on Mass Effect. I can’t say that I “regret†that choice, but there are others things I could be doing instead.

• Like 1

MASS EFFECT.

MASS EFFECT.

MASS EFFECT.

A very good use of your time (i mean, come on, saving the world!).  Although the time during which I was playing ME2 is sort of a blur of caffeine-fueled sleep-deprived madness filled with hyper-real dreams about being in space.  Man that game just INVADES your brain...I hope you are finding moderation!

Do you find it harder to cartwheel on your non-dominant side?  I have always found this to be true.  But cartwheels are one of the great joys in life, and a wonderful gateway acrobatic move!  I should go do some cartwheels right now...

Rendering and the associated arcane arts truly are magic.

47eb92eea2e69c71cbb92ee5cdafec03.gif

Did you get sucked into planet mining and that is why no updates?  IS IT THE PLANET MINING?

Actually, I've been hunting thresher maws for xp.

Oh, LAWD yes!  To both Mass Effect's brain-sucking power and to leftward cartwheels.  Going right, I feel like my trunk alignment is pretty much vertical but I still need to work on keeping my legs straight in an aesthetically pleasing way, but going left I have a lot of trouble getting my butt to line up with my shoulders.  I take some low res phone videos to check myself and make certain to erase them after I’ve made some mental notes.  No one needs to see that...

As for Mass Effect, I’ve had to set up a reward in HabitRPG to charge myself gold for time playing.  I haven’t been hit this hard since Knights of the Old Republic 2! o0

Rendering is indeed a richly mysterious work of magecraft!  Behold, the transformation from this:

sanjuro%20tea%202.png

to this:

sanjuro%202.png

I did that one myself, but waiting for my “computer†(actually an 8†windows tablet) to process that image took more than 12 hours and generated a lot of heat that probably wasn’t healthy for my CPU; hence the sub-contracting.

---

Turns #3 and #4: Too quiet...

Artillery Ape: 8/8 (Prop-free skills training sessions)

Phantom Mantis: 27/28 (Mindful Coffee)

The S.W.A.R.M.: 28/28 (Complete all HabitRPG Dailies)

Sit-Rep: Okay, so last week was kind of crappy, but once again the simplified nature of this challenge saved my bacon.  I missed a mindful coffee at some point, and had a few days where I debated with myself over whether I had done enough to justify claiming the point, but in all cases I chose to judge in my favor; the point of the exercise, I think, is to just sort of make a quick check-in to ground myself in whatever I’m doing, so there’s no benefit in obsessing over whether I’d hit some arbitrary mindfulness quotient or something.

Don’t let that 0/6 fool you, I’m actually making progress with Gatling Raptor even though I don’t have anything officially posted.  I expect that I will end up posting all 6 sets in one sitting, so it’s really just a matter of making sure that happens before the end of week 6.

I’ve got the basics of a plan for next challenge written out, though it’s likely that I’ll make a change or two between now and then.  I’m trying to come up with stuff that’s a bit more ambitious than this challenge without going overboard (who, me?  Never!).

I’m in another one of those prolonged slumps of just feeling extremely tired and unmotivated and prone to injury - nothing major, just some little complaints that I know I need to pay attention to so they don’t balloon out of control.  To cope with all of this, I’ve given myself permission to back off of my accessory work and focus on what’s most important: strength training, rope dart playtime, and recovery.

Mech teatime :D

Mindfulness is damn hard to measure, except in terms of time, so even doing regular check-ins probably does more than you realize to keep you mindful about your mindfulness practice.  Inception. 

Recovery sounds good, especially if you are planning on ramping things up a bit next challenge!  

His name is Sanjuro, and he prefers Darjeeling. ^^

rabbitseason.png

Well, it's duck season here at the Phayze County Municipal Drinking Water Plant, and that can only mean one thing: stranded ducklings.

I was doing my regular rounds of the plant and heard a disconcerting chorus of pathetic chirping from one of our settling basins (it's about the size of the Clampet's cement pond). My investigation revealed about a half a dozen painfully adorable baby ducks swimming in circles, unable to jump the concrete walls of the basin to escape, and a very confused and nervous looking lady duck.

Never fear, Phayze is here! I found a wooden pallet by the dumpster and borrowed some tools from the maintenance garage to break off some planks. A little jiggery-pokery later, and I had a lovely little ramp for the noisy puff balls to climb up and out on.

Two of them had drifted off into another part of the basin, so I had to chase them down with a pool skimmer and scoop them out. Harder than it sounds!

• Like 1

Super heroes have all sorts of duties. Glad you were able to save the ducklings!

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

ALL HAIL THE DUCKLING SAVIOR!  That is a most excellent feat you have accomplished!

I feel like there may be a children's book somewhere in here...

dog-playing-with-ducklings.jpg

Relevant.

2804109-Daffy_as_The_Green_Lantern.jpg

Also (sort of) relevant.