Big Show Bounces Back

Big_Show

Day 10 - 110.4kg

1) Just this once is always too often.

Had a bit of a test run for when Ramadan starts (either tomorrow or Thursday - depends on whether the moon sighted tonight I think).

Breakfast: Scotch egg

Snack: Alpen bars (bit desperate)

Lunch: Turkey & cheese wraps

Snack: Chocolate (caved while passing the vending machine)

Post-work snack: Ceral

Dinner: Steak with carrots, red pepper, mushrooms, sugarsnap peas, baby corn, and broccollit.

Despite the chocolate, the day's total still only came to ~2325 calories; that's still barely hitting my BMR at the moment.  And with my total burn for the day after exercise estimated at ~3100, I'm not going to worry too much about how many calories I'm taking in, just in making them as clean as possible.  I therefore have a bigger lunch for tomorrow, but with literally no possibility of snacking at work from hereon in.

2) Lift heavy things - twice a week

My backs & shoulders spent most of the day complaing that my arms were heavy enough a thing to lift.  They were actually complaining about the position I held my arms in while running!  Because of this my planned return to the swimming pool was postponed a day, but it should act as a nice recovery session if they're still whining tomorrow.  And it better had, because I'm swimming regardless.

3) Keep moving - quickly if possible - three times a week

Another run today - 3.13M in 27:27 @ 8:47/mile.  There was a nice period in the middle where everything loosened up and I felt like I was running nice & naturally again, so that's progress.

Decided I'm not going any further than 5k for the rest of this week though, just to make sure my calf isn't playing up still - more stretching just in case.

LQ) Waaaaagh!!!

Didn't do any this evening.  Got some quality reading in time instead (The Wild Diet by Abel James of the Fat-Burning Man podcast, which I've been listening to weekly for a few years now) and also a bit of relaxing reading time (The original Stormwatch books!  Forgot how good this series is!) but I fully intend to get at least ten models done by the end of the week.

My bag is packed for the pool and already in my car for tomorrow.  My healthy food is prepped & packed (may have to mix it up next week with some kind of chicken/broccolli concoction) and I'm all set for a nice early night.  Things feel like they're getting back on track finally.

• Like 4

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

Ok, so the DOMS and the OMS have now become what I am choosing to call BAMS (Bloody Annoying Muscle Soreness).

Seriously, I can't even straighten my arms without it hurting at my elbows, neither can I raise my arms comfortably above my shoudlers.

Gonna have to rethink my plans for the evening now.  With a compulsory day off running, inability to swim or lift things, it looks like the opportune moment to take a rest day and crack on with a bit of painting instead...

• Like 4

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

Aaaaaaargh, that was a horrible situation to be in!

People in the office decided to order some food in from the Turkish place nearby, as it's the last day we'll have chance.  I said no thanks, explained that I'd brought my lunch with me and I'm trying to lose some weight.

The takeaway just arrived and a friend had decided to order me a plate of lamb chops anyway despite what I'd said, and they got put on my desk,

SO I just had to take a plate of lamb chops and give it back, saying thanks but no thanks.

I've already had lunch but I could quite happily have eaten the entire plate...

• Like 3

People in the office decided to order some food in from the Turkish place nearby, as it's the last day we'll have chance.  I said no thanks, explained that I'd brought my lunch with me and I'm trying to lose some weight.

The takeaway just arrived and a friend had decided to order me a plate of lamb chops anyway despite what I'd said, and they got put on my desk,

SO I just had to take a plate of lamb chops and give it back, saying thanks but no thanks.

ALL the feels. I was invited for some pizza yesterday at work, when I politely denied I had to deal with wide-eyed stares and some "just a slice" invites. You're awesome for skipping that

HI FIVE

2c4f39acb47487f0e9529576e950dc34.jpg

• Like 1

Lvl 58 Multitasker

man, I bet that was an awkward thing to do.

well done though

It was bloody awkward!  I felt bad, but then I thought about how I'd politely explained why I didn't want any in the first place, and the fact they'd ordered some anyway got me quite pissed off to be honest!

ALL the feels. I was invited for some pizza yesterday at work, when I politely denied I had to deal with wide-eyed stares and some "just a slice" invites. You're awesome for skipping that

HI FIVE

2c4f39acb47487f0e9529576e950dc34.jpg

Cheers dude!  The struggle is real!

• Like 1

Yay willpower!  It's so weird that when you turn down food, people get all weird about it, like it's some kind of reflection on them that you are changing your eating habits.  Strangeness.  But go you!  

Sounds also like you got the T-REX arms!  

tumblr_m3bbu39uj91rrlox3o1_500.png

WEAR THEM WITH PRIDE

• Like 3

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Ok, so the DOMS and the OMS have now become what I am choosing to call BAMS (Bloody Annoying Muscle Soreness).

Seriously, I can't even straighten my arms without it hurting at my elbows, neither can I raise my arms comfortably above my shoudlers.

Gonna have to rethink my plans for the evening now.  With a compulsory day off running, inability to swim or lift things, it looks like the opportune moment to take a rest day and crack on with a bit of painting instead...

I feel you, bro.

tumblr_mym30vMOmj1qf1avqo1_500.jpg

This is THE. WORST. My family doesn't get it. Most of my friends don't get it. People at work don't get it. If you said you can't eat that because you're diabetic or had your gall bladder removed, or you had allergies that would make you puff up and turn three different colors that are uncommon for human skin, they would probably listen. Why is it different just because we are trying to be healthier than we are now? It's just flat-out disrespect. Way to rise above.

• Like 5

Rebel Scum Current Challenge

This is THE. WORST. My family doesn't get it. Most of my friends don't get it. People at work don't get it. If you said you can't eat that because you're diabetic or had your gall bladder removed, or you had allergies that would make you puff up and turn three different colors that are uncommon for human skin, they would probably listen. Why is it different just because we are trying to be healthier than we are now? It's just flat-out disrespect. Way to rise above.

Now THIS is something I want to put on a poster and hang up somewhere. ;)

I get this so often lately at sporting events/tailgates/gatherings.... a friend of mine (who is recently drinking less beer) and I were commiserating last night about how people really noticed and seemed to make a point to "playfully" get on our case about it over the past few weeks.  No, fuck you, I'm taking care of myself and I don't need to give anyone a reason why I don't want a beer, so get a life and stop butting your nose into mine!  GRR.  Grr.

You made the good decision, man!

• Like 7

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

nice resolve man. food always seems to be the hardest thing to kick. way to go. 

• Like 2

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

I get this so often lately at sporting events/tailgates/gatherings.... a friend of mine (who is recently drinking less beer) and I were commiserating last night about how people really noticed and seemed to make a point to "playfully" get on our case about it over the past few weeks.  No, fuck you, I'm taking care of myself and I don't need to give anyone a reason why I don't want a beer, so get a life and stop butting your nose into mine!  GRR.  Grr.

And the worst is that it's perceived on their end as a kindness, right? They think they're being kind by giving you what you "want" instead of respecting your wishes and acknowledging that you're a grown ass adult who can make nutritional decisions for himself. 

Mad respect that you have the fortitude to return the food. You've got this, for real.

• Like 3

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

STR 8 | DEX 7 | STA 10 | CON 7.5 | WIS 13 | CHA 12

Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th
Battle Log

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

Yay willpower!  It's so weird that when you turn down food, people get all weird about it, like it's some kind of reflection on them that you are changing your eating habits.  Strangeness.  But go you!  

Sounds also like you got the T-REX arms!  

tumblr_m3bbu39uj91rrlox3o1_500.png

WEAR THEM WITH PRIDE

I feel you, bro.

tumblr_mym30vMOmj1qf1avqo1_500.jpg

nice resolve man. food always seems to be the hardest thing to kick. way to go. 

And the worst is that it's perceived on their end as a kindness, right? They think they're being kind by giving you what you "want" instead of respecting your wishes and acknowledging that you're a grown ass adult who can make nutritional decisions for himself. 

Mad respect that you have the fortitude to return the food. You've got this, for real.

Cheers guys, I knew you'd all understand.  Feeling the love right now :)

• Like 7

Day 11: 108.8kg

So the day ended up being rest day.  Thankfully this morning I can indeed use my arms again, although they still don't completely straighten out.  Probably best re-think my attempted set/rep combos for the next Pull workout...

Food-wise was ok:

Snack: Last of the Alpen bars (sounds like a terrible movie)

Lunch: Turkey & cheese wraps

Post-work snack: Cereal

Dinner: GF pizza (compromise for not ordering takeaway any more)

The evening was mainly spent reading comics and watching TV, followed by an early night.  Not been sleeping too well the last couple of nights and it all caught up with me yesterday; much more on form again today though.

Today's officially the first day of fasting for Ramadan, so the No Visible Food Or Drink rules are in effect, both at work and outdoors.  Should be interesting times...

• Like 5

Give to me your recipe for scotch eggs.  The one place in NYC where i could buy them went out of business, and this is a problem.  Because they are very delicious.  

Also also, what comics are you reading?  :D

• Like 1

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Whoops, didn't get round to updating this for a couple of days!

Thursday ended up with me still doing no exercise; wine & whisky happened instead.  Which meant Friday morning was unpleasant, but that soon passed.

I got out for a 5k run again last night, and then sat and planned out my week ahead's training.  I also looked back on my training logs, which led to a bit of a realisation - the only reason I split my bodyweight session into two separate Push/Pull workouts was because I was short on time due to having to get the bus to work, and couldn't fit everything in to one evening.  So now I'm driving myself and have those extra two hours' travel time back to myself, there's no reason not to do every exercise in every single session *facepalm*

Day 14

Food has been very good today:

Breakfast: bacon & veggie omelette

Lunch: Pork chop with veggies

Snack: Cereal

Dinner (in a couple of hours): Steak with veggies

I have also prepped my work mealsfor the week ahead; scotch eggs for breakfast, while for lunch I shall mainly be eating chicken with carrots, broccolli, potaties & sugar snap peas.  That should keep me going nicely.

Today's training was a full-body workout, with a couple of amendments from the programme;

- after last week's DOMS-pocalypse it was obvious that aiming for 3x8 negative-rep pull-ups is still way beyond me, and the inverted bodyweight rows won't be helping that either.  So I'm dropping the pull-ups down into sets of 3, and adding a set each workout until I hit 8 sets.  Then I'll work my way up to 3x8 and progress as usual.  For the bodyweight rows I'll be doing similar, only with sets of 5 instead.

- there isn't much volume of legs in this workout, so I'm adding more sets before I progress up to harder exercises to see what happens.  If it affects my running too much I'll re-evaluate the situation though.

So this all worked out as:

- 5mins skipping

- Ninja Mobility routine

- 3x8:

- - squats - 8,8,10 - progress to four sets next time

- - negative-rep pull-ups - 3,3,3 - progress to four sets next time

- - incline pike diamond press-ups - 8,8,10 - progress to pike press-ups next time

- - flat bent leg raises - 8,8,10 - progress to flat straight leg raises next time

- - bent leg bench drips - 8,8,10 - progress to straight leg bench dips next time

- - inverted bodyweight rows - 5,5,5 - progress to four sets next time

- - plank (60s) - 50s - so very close!

- stretches

It felt good to get everything done in one go, and hopefully my aiming for slower progression I'll actually be capable of doing it again in two days' time this time around...

Weekly round-up to follow later on.

• Like 5

Week 2 Summary

1) Just this once is always too often.

71%
71%

A bit better this week - five days of eating well, two days of more crappy food & alcohol.  The pattern is that I indulge on a Thursday evening, and then it takes me a fair while to get back on track... This won't happen next week, as I've got an early training session with people from the running club planned.  Seems like a good way to break the cycle.

2) Lift heavy things - twice a week

100%
100%

Success with this one!  Barely, after the mega-DOMS of last week.  But now I've accounted for that, this next week should go a lot more smoothly.

3) Keep moving - quickly if possible - three times a week

100%
100%

Another success.  None of it was particularly quick, but seeing as that wasn't really possible yet with this heat & the dodgy calf, I'm taking the win.

LQ) Waaaaagh!!!

0%
0%

0/33 painted so far.  I did undercoat a load of them, but all the other steps didn't actually get done.  I'm going to put it in my diary this week and make it happen.

All in all, a marked improvement on week 1.  I've spent a lot of today thinking about things, getting jobs done, and making plans for the next four weeks so I think the rest of the challenge will go a lot more smoothly.  Definitely feels like I've got my head in the game more than I did two weeks ago.

• Like 4

Give to me your recipe for scotch eggs.  The one place in NYC where i could buy them went out of business, and this is a problem.  Because they are very delicious.  

Also also, what comics are you reading?   :D

1) Hard-boil the eggs

2) Divid the sausagemeat up - I use around 200g per egg.

3) Wrap the boiled egg up in sausagemeat

4) Crack an egg into a bowl and whisk it up

5) Roll the scotch eggs around in the raw egg, then roll in breadcrumbs and put on a baking tray

6) Cook in the oven at 200C for about half an hour (YMMV)

I'm using mince at the moment (can't get decent sausagemeat out here) and each one of these bad boys works out at 400 calories and keeps me full for a good few hours after breakfast.  Let me know how they turn out!

Comic-wise, I've just finished rereading the Stormwatch series from DC/vertigo, and I'm making a start on Planetary.  It's a massive book, and I think it actually contains every single comic so it'll keep me going for a fair old while!

Then my next purchase is going to be the entire Sandman collection.  I've wanted that for years, and it's ages since I read them.

• Like 2

Day 15

A solid start to the week.

Morning snack: Turkey & cheese wrap

Lunch: Chicken with broccolli, sugar snap peas, potatoes & carrots

Afternoon snack: Turkey & cheese wrap

Dinner: Bacon & veg omelette

That sure looks like a lot of food.  Almost all home made (apart from the cereal, obviously) and it only came to ~2250 calories.  And the only time I was hungry was after my run while cooking my dinner, which I'm putting down to the smell of the bacon...

The run - I did 3.1M in 28:32 @ 9:07/mile average.  I think I'm starting to adapt to the heat again; next run (Tuesday) I'll try to go a bit further, see if everything hold up ok.

I finally did some painting!  I did the green layer on ten of my boyz, and tomorrow I'll move on to doing all the brown bits.  Assembly line-style in front of the TV is the best painting strategy for me I think.

No repeat of the mega-DOMS after yesterday's workout, so I think my tactic seems to have worked.  Up the volume on my back muscles a bit more tomorrow and see what happens.

• Like 4

Sounds like a good week! So is there some kind of special room at work where the non-muslims can eat out of site from the others, or do you hide in your office, or do you have to skip during the weekday?

I just found on PhoenixBurning's thread various calculators for adjusting pace for heat. Why did I never think of that?? I am terrible in the heat and I don't really seem to get better at it as the summer goes on. Check this out

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Sounds like a good week! So is there some kind of special room at work where the non-muslims can eat out of site from the others, or do you hide in your office, or do you have to skip during the weekday?

I just found on PhoenixBurning's thread various calculators for adjusting pace for heat. Why did I never think of that?? I am terrible in the heat and I don't really seem to get better at it as the summer goes on. Check this out

Excellent, I'll check it out when I get home (for some reason it's blocked on my work computer).  It might shed some light on why I was fitter than I was expected when the temperature went down and I started racing around October/November time.

There is a break room, but it really is a very tiny room; the filipinos I work with are fine in there, but as soon as I go in I take up the space of about three of them...

• Like 1

Day 16

Food has been pretty similar today:

Mid-morning snack: Turkey & cheese wrap

Lunch: Chicken & many veggies

Mid-afternoon snack: Turkey & cheese wrap

Dinner: Steak with baby corn, sugar snap peas, red pepper & mushrooms

Extra: a couple of glasses of wine

Workout:

- 5mins skipping

- Ninja Mobility routine

-3x8:

- - squats (4x8) - 8,8,8,10 - progress to 5x8 next time

- - negative-rep pull-ups (4x3) - 3,3,3,3 - progress to 5x3 next time

- - pike press-ups - 8,8,5,5

- - flat straight leg raises - 8,8,10 - progress to forearm knee raises next time

- - wide press-ups - 8,6,5,5

- - inverted bodyweight rows (4x5) - 5,5,5,5 - progress to 5x5 next time

- - plank (60s) - 60s - progress to side planks next time

- stretches

Very pleased with tonight's workout.  Progress has been made, and will continue to be made!  Running tomorrow evening.

I didn't get round to painting any models tonight, but instead I've been reading more of the Wild Diet book, trying to find a good recipe to cook myself on Thursday evening instead of going down the regular cheat meal route and just ordering a pizza/eating everything in the supermarket.  This approach does not seem to have been working very well, for some reason...

• Like 3

It's a running calculator, I swear. Nothing illicit. :rapture:

Maybe they don't want you thinking about how hot it is. Or maybe they don't like that the table was partly developed by Jack Daniel's (again, the running coach, nothing to do with the whiskey)!

Oh now that is interesting - it looks like every 5oC is worth approximately 15s over 5k for my previous race times.  It gets even more horrific over longer distances  That would explain a lot about my training over the last ten months.  Chuck in the extra humidity and that'll make even more sense.

Thank you for the calculator!

• Like 1

Good news, everybody!

Remember that exam I was stressing about a couple of weeks ago?  Well, I just got the email through saying that I passed with 97% :)

This means that I've made it on to the course I want to do, which starts at the beginning of September.  Admittedly I now have to pony up the cash to do the damn thing, but it'll be worth it.  And I'll have to do enough work to get ahead of the schedule as I'll be off to the States for two weeks for Camp NF & my subsequent trip to New York.

But tonight after my run I shall allow myself a cheeky cider or two to celebrate.  Yay me!

• Like 5