EPIC GYM UPDATE

Ok so it wasn't thatttt epic.  But I really did have an AWESOME time and am so excited and can't wait to go back!! First off, a workout that typically took me ~1.5 hours at home took me 45 minutes just because of the lack of distractions, and the boyfriend and I not having the share equipment.  So that in and of itself was awesome.  Secondly OMG using a real bench for a bench press?! Is that what bench presses are supposed to feel like?!!?!?!? So much better/different.

I started off with a 10 minute warm up on the elliptical, then went to the squat rack for squats, benched, and then used the little pre-weighted barbells for my rows because it'd been a few weeks since I've done strong lifts and the app recommend I deload. I also did skull crushers which I had never done before and thought were really fun.  The only thing I'm concerned about is since I'm using the little barbells for the rows I can't put it on the group between reps like stronglifts says I should. Not sure if that's bad for me (ie my back) or not? I'm not feeling pain there today so I'm going to assume not...

I'm so excited that I can add weight nowwww seriously I didn't quite realize how excited I'd be, or how much more excited I'd be since I thought I had reached peak excitement before I went.  But I guess I was kinda nervous but now that nervous is gone.  Anyway, here are my numbers (all weights I had already done at home due to the deload but whatever, I'm glad to not be doing this in my bedroom)

5x5x45lb backsquats

5x5x45lb bench press

5x5x20lb barbell rows

5x5x20lb skull crushers

Then this morning I woke up early and did some yoga :)  Feeling really good today! Only a teeeeeensy bit sore. 

CHALLENGE UPDATE DAY ONE

Home cooking: Check! Scallops, roasted veggies & rice. No dairy. 1/6

Salad: Check! Had a salad for lunch. 1/7

Alcohol: Check! No boozies. 1/7

Snacks: Got Clif crunch bars.  They're really tasty and definitely helped me not eat the cheese my roommate offered me upon returning from the gym. Check! 1/1

Water: Hit my goal of 100+oz yesterday. 1/7

So glad my blahs are gone from last week.

• Like 6

Yay! I'm glad you had a good time! Excited to see your progress with the ability to add weight. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

You rocked Day 1!!!!

I love being able to have gym access, it definitely tightens up my routine a little bit and keeps me focused!!  I just perform better in a fitness atmosphere though, home workouts are great once in a while, but for me working out at home feels tedious while going to the gym feels EXCITING!

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Yay! I'm glad you had a good time! Excited to see your progress with the ability to add weight. :)

Thanks! I can't wait to see what I can really do

You rocked Day 1!!!!

I love being able to have gym access, it definitely tightens up my routine a little bit and keeps me focused!!  I just perform better in a fitness atmosphere though, home workouts are great once in a while, but for me working out at home feels tedious while going to the gym feels EXCITING!

I really am so pumped I want to go back in for another work out tonight but I know I need my rest day between lifting.  Also I have some DOMS.  Nothing major, but honestly a little unexpected since I deloaded so much but such is life.

• Like 2

Because I'm a band geek kind of nerd in addition to a comic/video game/sci fi one hahah.

Soooo this is why we get along so well!    I was totes a band geek in highschool!  <3

I had a lot of catching up to do, and feel like I lost some of the early stuff I read when I read the later stuff, but way to go on busting ass.  I'm so jealous of your food prep success already.   Tomorrow's Wed and I haven't even figured out how to get a new 'lunch' to work this week.  Ugh!

Sounds like you had fun at the gym.  Yay for good gym times.   Keep it up girl.

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

GOOD WORK!! I am relatively new to gym workouts so I am learning all the different stuff everyone does on here.

I had to google those lift names haha I never actually knew what skull crushers were until just now.

Go you :D that is so awesome!!!

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Phoenix Rises

Last Challenges: Until Lambs Become Lions, The First Avenger

Level 2 Ranger

STR - Physical Strength - 4

DEX - Agility and Speed - 2

STA - Endurance and Energy - 3

CON - Ability to Resist Damage and Disease 3

WIS - Intuition and Sense - 4

CHA - Personality and Physical Attractiveness - 4

Is there a word for total screaming genius that sounds modest and a tiny bit sexy...?

Lose 10kg

57%
57%

Lose 5 inches (waist)

30%
30%

Oh wow. The gym update was epic! :D Seems you did truly amazing this first day. (AND YOU SAID NO TO CHEESE!)

Thanks! I feel pretty great about it for sure.  The cheese was tough.  It was extra sharp cheddar. Gahhhh.

way to murder the gym! yaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy! XD

0fb58b74cbf6e0aee7dee9637cb0f659.jpg

Damn, look at you rocking it at the gym! WOOT GIRL!

Thanksss! I'm so looking forward to going back tonight finally, after having to wait a whole 2 days for my body to rest. 

Soooo this is why we get along so well!    I was totes a band geek in highschool!  <3

I had a lot of catching up to do, and feel like I lost some of the early stuff I read when I read the later stuff, but way to go on busting ass.  I'm so jealous of your food prep success already.   Tomorrow's Wed and I haven't even figured out how to get a new 'lunch' to work this week.  Ugh!

Sounds like you had fun at the gym.  Yay for good gym times.   Keep it up girl.

Hahah yessss more band geekery!! What'd you play? I played the flute.  And was also in marching band for a while. I'd cut class for band lessons I didn't have, but then actually go to the band room and practice.  YES THAT LEVEL OF BAND GEEK. No shame.

You can do it! Just grab some bagged mixed lettuce and chop it up and throw some tuna on it with some oil and vinegar.  It's so easy and quick and delicious :)

Thanks!

GOOD WORK!! I am relatively new to gym workouts so I am learning all the different stuff everyone does on here.

I had to google those lift names haha I never actually knew what skull crushers were until just now.

Go you :D that is so awesome!!!

I wasn't sure what they were either when I first saw them as an accessory option in the stronglifts program, and when I saw them and was like HELL NO.  But then I tried them yesterday and I absolutely love them.

also Re: preloaded bar to the ground from row, sink to your haunches and deadlift it down

GENIUS!  Thanks for the tip!

• Like 3

EPIC GYM DOMS UPDATE

So remember when I said I was a *little* sore yesterday? Welllll I woke up this morning and my body was like

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

live-4.gif

Like for real the DOMS are RIDONCULOUS today. I actually woke up to use the bathroom a few hours before my alarm and had trouble falling back asleep/getting comfortable because of them.  They came in the night while I was sleeping like jerks.  After a whole day of rest and relative not-soreness. Grrrr. I didn't even take that much time off (2 weeks) lifting, and deloaded a bunch.  I'm shocked I'm this sore honestly.  But I am happy to know I definitely got a good workout in.

Deadlifts tonight! WITH REAL PLATES AHHHHH.

CHALLENGE UPDATE DAY 2

Home cooking: Check! Homemade general tsos tofu, roasted veggies & rice. No dairy. 2/6

Salad: Check! Salad for lunch. 2/7

Alcohol: Check! Didn't even think about it. 2/7

Snacks: Done.  Still going strong with my Clif bars. Also had one for breakfast today. 1/1

Water: Way over my goal of 100+oz. 2/7

• Like 5

Well done, Raxie!

8hu3R.gif

• Like 1

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

2 weeks IS a long time for your muscles though. You'll be right as rain in no time. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

YES THE DOMS!

I remember when I really started barbelling the first week or so I would wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and barely be able to get out of bed/hobble to the restroom without being in pain or worried I would topple over!! A good sign you're doing things right, though. ;)  Take your time and keep your form good and soon you'll be rocking and rolling.

• Like 2

Hahah!  Yes Raxie.   I'd get in trouble for staying after school, and not telling my family where I was, and I was in the band rooms practicing and writing songs with my friends!  LOL.

I started on sax the second half of my sophomore year.   By Junior year, I asked the band teacher what my chances were of making symphonic band on alto sax -and with only taking 2, he said that tenured people would likely get them.   So I switched to trumpet half way through junior year.   Made symphonic band senior year.  Marching band, check!   Band camp?  CHECK CHECK!  LOL.    By senior year I figured I was gonna be a music major so started learning all the other instruments too.    But ... well, long story short, I didn't follow through on that dream and so I've lost just about all my music-fu!      A few challenges ago I had "re-learn" the piano as my goal, but I got really depressed and frustrated with how much I'd lost.   :/

But I still super love music and 'get it' more than most people do.  (For example, I cannot find a way to explain minor keys (which I LOOOOVE) to my non music friend.)  He just DOESN'T get it.  Like, he doesn't even /hear/ the dropped 3rd and 7th.   How can you not hear it????

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

ItsDaniel top tips for DOMS

1) after lifting weights do something to flush all the acid outta your system, like a light 10minute session on the bike or rower or elliptical or whatever

2) after that take a good long time to stretch out, holding each stretch for 30seconds

3) if you can try to brave a cold shower, studies I have read suggest that the best thing you can do is alternate between hot and cold in the shower, something like 30 seconds hot, 30 seconds cold - I am half lucky in that I like the cold so I take my showers cold although I don't do the hot/cold switch thing because I hate the hot water

4) make sure you have taken in loads of protein so your body can mend itself

Then if you feel like you need it, foam roll.

Not sure if you are doing these things already, just wanted to try to help

• Like 3

Well done, Raxie!

Thank you!!

2 weeks IS a long time for your muscles though. You'll be right as rain in no time. :)

This is true.  I guess what I was really totally shocked about was that I was fine the day after, but the second day I woke up with suchhhh bad soreness.  If I had been that sore immediately I probably wouldn't have been that surprised/sad hahah

YES THE DOMS!

I remember when I really started barbelling the first week or so I would wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and barely be able to get out of bed/hobble to the restroom without being in pain or worried I would topple over!! A good sign you're doing things right, though. ;)  Take your time and keep your form good and soon you'll be rocking and rolling.

Yes!!! That totally happened to me. I could barely get up in the morning. 

Wow saying no to extra sharp cheddar takes some epic willpower. This is me with cheese:

You are rocking this challenge!

That's me with cheese too usually, but it hurts my tummy so I really have to try to stay away from it... but I haven't been.  Until this challenge

Hahah!  Yes Raxie.   I'd get in trouble for staying after school, and not telling my family where I was, and I was in the band rooms practicing and writing songs with my friends!  LOL.

I started on sax the second half of my sophomore year.   By Junior year, I asked the band teacher what my chances were of making symphonic band on alto sax -and with only taking 2, he said that tenured people would likely get them.   So I switched to trumpet half way through junior year.   Made symphonic band senior year.  Marching band, check!   Band camp?  CHECK CHECK!  LOL.    By senior year I figured I was gonna be a music major so started learning all the other instruments too.    But ... well, long story short, I didn't follow through on that dream and so I've lost just about all my music-fu!      A few challenges ago I had "re-learn" the piano as my goal, but I got really depressed and frustrated with how much I'd lost.   :/

But I still super love music and 'get it' more than most people do.  (For example, I cannot find a way to explain minor keys (which I LOOOOVE) to my non music friend.)  He just DOESN'T get it.  Like, he doesn't even /hear/ the dropped 3rd and 7th.   How can you not hear it????

Thats awesome! I totally get the music thing too.  Especially because in college my roommate for all through college was a music tech major so I got to hear all about even deeper into the theory and stuff.  I love minor keys too! I recently started picking my flute back up again (I was *really* good, not to toot my own horn lol, but I was. I played since 3rd grade and was first chair through high school) and now I'm so bad!!! So I understand the discouragement there.  I'll probably have to buy some less advanced books or something and go from there.  I'm sure it'll come back quicker than if I was learning all over again (I mean I still have scale muscle memory and stuff for almost all the scales) but it's annoying to have to go so far back.

But yes, in conclusion... band geekery to the max!

ItsDaniel top tips for DOMS

1) after lifting weights do something to flush all the acid outta your system, like a light 10minute session on the bike or rower or elliptical or whatever

2) after that take a good long time to stretch out, holding each stretch for 30seconds

3) if you can try to brave a cold shower, studies I have read suggest that the best thing you can do is alternate between hot and cold in the shower, something like 30 seconds hot, 30 seconds cold - I am half lucky in that I like the cold so I take my showers cold although I don't do the hot/cold switch thing because I hate the hot water

4) make sure you have taken in loads of protein so your body can mend itself

Then if you feel like you need it, foam roll.

Not sure if you are doing these things already, just wanted to try to help

Ah, I do a few minutes of cardio to warm up but I never thought of doing it after too I'll definitely have to try that.

I have been stretching and protein shaking and foam rolling, but  I can't do the cold shower thing, unfortunately, I've tried lol.  I think was got me the most was just that the major DOMS hit me 2 days after my work out, the day immediately following I was relatively not sore so I figured I was home free haha.  Thanks for the tips!

• Like 2

CHALLENGE UPDATE DAY THREE

Home cooking: Check! Roasted vegetable & garlic & oil whole wheat pasta. No dairy. 3/6

Salad: Check! Salad for lunch. 3/7

Alcohol: Check! Didn't even think about it. 3/7

Snacks: Done. Had another avocado snack yesterday from my discovery last week. 1/1

Water: Had about exactly 100oz of water. 3/7

So yesterday for lunch I forgot my salad in the fridge at home and had to go to the cafeteria. I looked online and the menu said the deli special was portabella burger on a whole wheat bun with mixed greens and balsamic drizzle.  I was like sooo all over that.  And was gonna do it with a veggie burger patty, and a side salad.  I got there and for some reason they only had sliders.  I was soooo disappointed, and the thought flashed into my head that I should just get a regular burger anyway but I brushed the thought aside almost as quickly as it came and headed to the salad bar.  HABITS! THEY'RE HAPPENING!

tumblr_notzgrvD9N1uqlxd1o1_250.gif

OTHER STUFF UPDATE

So I've been so sore all week I haven't been able to get my runs in.  I feel like there is always something in the way of me running.  Part of me wants to give up on it but most of me knows I need some cardio in my life because it's really holding me back on other things.  I think I might start doing it on the treadmill at the gym on my non-lifting days since the weather is almost always what stops me.  Though the times I've run on the treadmill it's been soooo easy.  Does anyone have any advice of what incline to put it at so that it's like the same difficulty of running on flat ground but not on a treadmill? (if that makes sense).  And if I start doing that, I can go back to doing yoga/meditation in the mornings which was really how I succeeded in that whole practice to begin with.  I don't like doing it in the afternoons because I feel like it puts me to sleep hahah. Yes. I like this plan.  Just need to figure out how to 1. Do Zombies Run on the treadmill with all the walking/running intervals and 2. How to get the treadmill at the right incline so as to be as difficult as being not on a treadmill, but not harder, because I am definitely not ready for that yet lol.

Also after all the dead lift talk on Shaaraway's thread I was really self conscious of my DL's yesterday.  Especially because my weights are so small (and my gym doens't have bumper plates) that I have to go down kinda lower than I think you're supposed to to pick the weight up.  I'm considering doing rack pulls until I get a few more pounds on there so I don't have to get so far down and feel like such a newb. 

Oh yeah and I dropped down the numbers on my OHP because I noticed that I was shrugging up one of my shoulders on the way up.  But even then when I dropped it down by 15lb from 45lb to 30lb I was still doing it on the last set.  Should I drop down the weight even more... or maybe stick with 30 for another workout? Gah, decisions are hard. I'll probably end up sticking with 30lb again next time and if I'm still seeing my shoulder pop up I'll drop it down after that.

TLDR; Deadlifts are intimidating and OHP's are hard.  Gonna start running on the treadmill and need to figure out what incline setting to put it at to make it relatively the same difficulty as running on flat outside ground.

Anyway, on to the numbers -

5x5x47.5lb backsquats

5x5x30lb over head press

1x5x65lb deadlift

2x8x20lb barbell curls

In other news, tonight is my not making dinner night. Going to a mexican restaurant with a friend.  Gonna still try to not have dairy even though that's technically not part of the challenge but I think I should do it anyway.  My tummy has been so happy lately I don't want to make it mad.

• Like 5

Also after all the dead lift talk on Shaaraway's thread I was really self conscious of my DL's yesterday.  Especially because my weights are so small (and my gym doens't have bumper plates) that I have to go down kinda lower than I think you're supposed to to pick the weight up.  I'm considering doing rack pulls until I get a few more pounds on there so I don't have to get so far down and feel like such a newb. 

5x5x47.5lb backsquats

5x5x30lb over head press

1x5x65lb deadlift

2x8x20lb barbell curls

So pulling from the ground with that weight is pretty much pulling from a deficit, which is not a bad thing -- deficits can be very useful to build strength from the floor. However, I could see wanting to minimize that deficit when you are starting out at the gym. You can put two 45# plates on the floor and pull from those if that helps. Otherwise, maybe they have aerobic class-style steps you can use or something like that to set up the bar? I'd hesitate to move to rack pulls because even if you get up to 135# on those, you might have trouble translating that back into an off-the-ground deadlift.

Also re: treadmill -- I've heard it's 1.5% or 2% incline to help a treadmill mimic outdoor running but I could be wrong.

• Like 3

Raptron, alot assassin

So pulling from the ground with that weight is pretty much pulling from a deficit, which is not a bad thing -- deficits can be very useful to build strength from the floor. However, I could see wanting to minimize that deficit when you are starting out at the gym. You can put two 45# plates on the floor and pull from those if that helps. Otherwise, maybe they have aerobic class-style steps you can use or something like that to set up the bar? I'd hesitate to move to rack pulls because even if you get up to 135# on those, you might have trouble translating that back into an off-the-ground deadlift.

This is interesting, and something I'd never considered because my gym doesn't have bumper plates either - it's pretty much whatever size of weight you're pulling.  (Which for us right now is teensy.)  Sticking some 45# underneath is a good suggestion, I'm going to keep that in the back of my brain if I keep having trouble/getting intimidated!

WE WILL CONQUER DL'S TOGETHER!!!! :D  Tag team, go!

• Like 3

To continue band geekery --- maybe one challenge in the future, we both agree to work on music something or other, and we practice the same piece, at the same tempo, then record it, upload it, and then hit play at the same time and listen to our DUO!  

HAHAHA.

• Like 1

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Real habits? That is awesome! :) Congrats! I know I still avoid eating somewhere else too often. Making good choices is much easier at home. 

I heard anything from 1-2% incline for the treadmill, too. I think it is a bit disputed, though. Whenever I used a treadmill I usually sticked to one of their premade workouts, so it changes a bit every now and then. 

• Like 1