good morning guys

I started doing bodyweight 3 months ago. I started with NF beginner bodyweight routine. I want to improve my pull ups, when I started I was able to do 3 series of 2 pull ups and after 1 month I got to 3 series of 4 pull ups, but since then I haven't felt any improvement, do you have any recomendation on how to improve my pull ups?

I have improve my pushups, plank time, squats, but my pull ups  are kinda stuck.

thanks

BODY FAT  drop from 17% to 16%

0%
0%

PULL UPS  go from 6 pull ups in a row to 8
0%
0%

Current Challenge

Hmm. Pull ups are hard! I can't even do one yet, so 3x4 is pretty good!

Maybe you can do some reverse pull ups after you've run out of steam for normal ones? (Reverse pull ups are when you use a chair or something to start with your chin at the top of the bar, and do a controlled decent.) Maybe add 3-4 reverse pull ups to the end of each of your sets for a month or two, and then try adding more actual pull ups to your sets?

• Like 1

good morning guys

I started doing bodyweight 3 months ago. I started with NF beginner bodyweight routine. I want to improve my pull ups, when I started I was able to do 3 series of 2 pull ups and after 1 month I got to 3 series of 4 pull ups, but since then I haven't felt any improvement, do you have any recomendation on how to improve my pull ups?

I have improve my pushups, plank time, squats, but my pull ups are kinda stuck.

thanks

Pull-ups tend to stall earlier than other exercises, but 3x4 has room for improvement.

How did you progress up until then? Did you add a rep to every set, or did you just try to do one extra pull-up each workout?

What have you tried once you made it to 3x4 that hasn't worked?

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

Ooooh, time for some pull-up variations! Mix some other activities into your workout  to cross-train your pull-up muscles. Ring/bar rows, negatives  (like Jym said), super slows, change hand position to chin-ups/wide grip/narrow pull ups, dips and curls, core... Sounds like your core is getting stronger, which is going to really help stabilize your pull-ups!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Inverted rows (Australian pull ups), jumping pull ups and negatives are how I got better.  The negative aspect really helped.  When I did jumping pull ups, I would go more chest to bar.  Might try these.  You never know. 

Remember, anything worth doing is worth overdoing. It's the American way.

LV 1 RANGER
STR 3/DEX 2/STA 2/CON 3/WIS 2/CHA 3

CrossFit LV 1 Coach, CrossFit LV 2 Coach
Certified CrossFit Olympic Lifting, CrossFit Strongman Certified
CrossFit Gymnastics Certified, CrossFit Kids Certified
 American Kettlebell Concepts Certified

Level 1 and Level 2 Ultimate Sandbag Coach

Certified Underground Strength Gym Coach

Mike Boyle Certified Functional Strength Coach

Tactical Strength and Conditioning Survivor/Coach

One thing you can try is pyramid sets: On your first set, do just one rep. Rest or do some other exercise (for about 30 seconds). Then do 2 pull-ups, rest 30s and repeat this until you can't add another rep in the set. When you reach that set, say your best was 4, go down the ladder again. So it's 3 reps, rest, 2, rest, 1 and finish. This right there adds up to 16 pull-ups in one session.

Another method might be to do just 80% of your max rep (so if 4 is your max, do 3). And then do more sets. At least 5. In between sets, rest a bit longer than usual to recover and do the next set as fresh as possible. 

Most importantly: Stay consistent with one method. Don't jump between methods every workout. Stick to something for at least a month.

I did a pull-up tutorial as well as an article about training for pure strength. Maybe these will help you.

Pullups respond really well to volume training.  Any of the above suggestions will get you there, as long as you stick with the program.

Another program to consider is grease the groove (GtG).  Essentially, you work light sets in throughout the day.  I've done it as both "every time I pass my pull up bar" and "once an hour if I'm at home" and gotten good results.  These sets should never be to failure, but can still affect your normal workout, so keep that in mind when deciding which path to try.

There's also the PLP (pullup-lunge-pushup) program, if you want to branch out a little more.

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

here at home I do pull ups with a very big bar it is like 3 inch diameter and the way that I notice that had gotten better was one time I went visiting my parents and there is a smaller bar like 1.5 inch diam, so I started my first set and the pull ups felt very easy so on the next one I just tried more, I did 4 in good form, the 5th one was not good so I dont go 5 until I can have good form.

this weekend I'll go to my parents house maybe I'm better now. I thing my balance is getting better also, i used to swing a lot, now I just have a very little swing.

today I started trying to do chest to bar instead of just getting my chin above the bar but i think that pyramid sets make more sense, i'll go and try that.

Thanks everybody for your comments and advice

BODY FAT  drop from 17% to 16%

0%
0%

PULL UPS  go from 6 pull ups in a row to 8
0%
0%

Current Challenge

Pyramids work. So does GtG. Neither are strictly necessary unless you're stalling for a longer period of time than it sounds like you have stalled.

Thicker bars are harder to grip, and your grip tends to fail before your arms do with a thick bar. It makes sense that you can do more on a thin bar. You can improve your grip specifically by hanging from your bar for time once you're done with your pull-ups.

The core way to improve is by adding volume over time. Try to do more pull-ups than you did last workout and you'll improve your one-set max. Pyramids and GtG are just simple ways to program in more volume without having to think too hard about the principles behind it.

Chest to bar pull-ups require a lot more strength than the regular variety and they're an excellent next progression. When you can do 6-8 pull-ups in a set they'll be well worth your time to practice.

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

What I have been doing to get more volume in is to do my pull ups at the beginning of my routine, 3x8 currently, do everything else, then do pull ups again at the end of my routine, currently 3x4 chest to bar.

I was stalling at 3x5 and this helped me get past that.

• Like 1

Hwrdfrnd - Goblin Adventurer

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Current Challenge