Thalianost- The Rise of Superdad

Thalianost

So, I flamed out last challenge and I haven't really gotten back on the horse just yet.  I was going to start working out today (really I was!) but my sister in law woke up feeling sick and I had to spend what would have been my workout time watching my daughter until she started feeling better. 

Anyway, I recently discovered the Art of Manliness podcast and I have been sort of binge listening to catch up.  I got a bunch of ideas about health and fitness in the process and I tried to work one or two of them into my challenge this go round.  As I was putting it into a spreadsheet this morning my daughter kept running over to me, banging on the keyboard and running away giggling.  I got frustrated but not mad because a) she's one and a half and b ) she is adorable.  But I ended up taking the computer somewhere she can't reach and finished up. 

When my sister in law was feeling better, I went to work and began listening to the AoM podcast again and one episode featured a strength/fitness trainer who was discussing his philosophy which involved tailoring workout programs to the individual.  He mentioned that, as a father who doesn't really compete anymore, his workouts are structured so that he won't be a wreck the rest of the day trying to recover and said that the workouts he formulates for people take their life into account and sometimes he just fits in some exercises while he is on the playground with his kids.  I processed this for a minute and then revelation:  WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING!?!?

I just got frustrated with my daughter for trying to play with me while I spend most of my mornings segregated from her lifting heavy thing or copying the movements of some guy on a screen! 

After the initial feeling of remorse/stupidity, I decided to make a few adjustments to my challenge.  My Primary goal for every other challenge has been:  "Build muscle, loose fat, look like a superhero"  This time it is:  "Become Superdad"

Of course I know there is more to being a superdad than spending time with your child and being able to bench press a truck.  But this is a start and we will evolve from there: 

Q1:  Physical play with my daughter at least two mornings a week.  (it's not as stingy as it sounds, I do play with her every evening and put her to bed every night)

Q2:  Lift Twice a week, sprint once a week.  (As beneficial as play can be, I need something a little more challenging than my daughter can provide, plus I want the big muscles) 

Q3:  No grains or processed sugar on weekdays.  (Dipping my toes into paleo seeing how it works out) 

SQ:  95% completion of my work goals

BTW:  I turn 30 on the fifth.  First challenge as an old man!  Superdad AWAY!  *jumps*  *fallsonface*

• Like 2

Sir Thalianost, Level 9 Human Knight (Training as a Warrior)

STR - 24.6 | DEX - 4.1 | STA - 1.7 | CON - 15.4 | WIS - 3.2 | CHA - 4.1

Those who live by the sword die by the sword... and wouldn't want it any other way.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th 12th

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

I did not get off to a good start this time around.  I managed to get myself sick and was essentially out of commission yesterday.  This morning still not 100% but I did manage to spend some time with my daughter. 

Those who live by the sword die by the sword... and wouldn't want it any other way.

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

It's been a little rocky so far. I didn't get my sprints in last week and I blew my diet a few days.  I just need to get back in the swing of things.  Today I have my food planned out and I did my workout this morning, so I'm back on track. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

I really appreciate your motivation to be fit for and with your daughter.  Children are our heritage and we want to leave a good one for them.

Also, +1 for the Art of Manliness!  A great website/podcast that has some really good information...so are you smoking a pipe or wearing a fedora yet? :)

Reformer | Race: Gnoll | Level: 2 (neophyte) | Recruit

Current Quest: Awaiting Next 6WC

Current Side-Quest: In Development

Previous Quest(s): An Introduction to the World

Previous Side-Quest(s): N/A

[ STR: 3 | DEX: 2.63 | STA: 2.94 | CON: 3.94 | WIS: 3.75 | CHA: 2.88 ]

Numquam Bella Piis, Numquam Certanima Desunt â€” “For the faithful, wars shall never cease.â€

I really appreciate your motivation to be fit for and with your daughter.  Children are our heritage and we want to leave a good one for them.

Also, +1 for the Art of Manliness!  A great website/podcast that has some really good information...so are you smoking a pipe or wearing a fedora yet? :)

I have been wearing a fedora for years, actually.  Long before I discovered the Art of Manliness.  The pipe: not likely to happen.  It does have a lot of interesting stuff though.  I haven't even looked at the site much, just the podcast. 

Challenge update.  The diet has been kinda rocky.  I'm sure those of you who have done it already can attest how hard it is to cut out grains and sugars.  But I feel I am getting better at it.  Even if I can't cut them out 100%, at least I am mindful of them and cutting them when I am willing and able.  I have stuck to my playing/workout schedule for the most part.  My work goals aren't going as well as I like, mainly due to business.  Too much work, too little time. 

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out