Continuous Body Weight Training = Bulking?

Hey all, so I'm trying to build my exercise plan for my first six week challenge and I'm going around in all the boards looking for mostly core building exercises, endurance exercises, exercises meant mostly to tone and solidify rather than bulk up on muscle. My question is this, do the beginner's body weight routine, advanced routine, interval training, and tabata method build muscle or are they exactly what I'm looking for? Thanks everyone have a great day!

Level 0 Half-Elf Ranger Recruit | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Year Long Goal: Weigh 20 Pounds Less

0%
0%

First Challenge!

0%
0%

Hey all, so I'm trying to build my exercise plan for my first six week challenge and I'm going around in all the boards looking for mostly core building exercises, endurance exercises, exercises meant mostly to tone and solidify rather than bulk up on muscle. My question is this, do the beginner's body weight routine, advanced routine, interval training, and tabata method build muscle or are they exactly what I'm looking for? Thanks everyone have a great day!

Defining some terms before we start:

Toning: no such thing. The type of body people refer to as "toned" merely means a body that has a relatively small amount of bodyfat. The only thing separating a "toned" fitness model from a "bulky" fitness model is the relative size of their muscles. (Most large fitness models, like bodybuilders, are also extremely lean.)

Solidifying: same. No such thing, it's just a matter of how lean you are. If you look at your body, the stuff that jiggles is going to be fat, silicone (does silicone jiggle?), or a massive hematoma.

What does this mean? It means there is no one particular training protocol for "toning." If you want to look lean, you lose bodyfat. If you want to look bulky, you gain muscle.*

For either of those options, the primary thing you want to change is your diet rather than your training program. Any of the programs you listed would work just fine while you're losing weight, so I'd recommend picking your favorite and doing some reading/asking questions on fat loss if that's what you're interested in.

* Most of the time it is advisable to first lose fat and then gain muscle after you've been training for a while. This is because people do not gain muscle very efficiently when they first start training; you have to have a certain base level of strength to be able to train hard enough to gain muscle efficiently.

If you decide what you'd prefer to do with your body, you can post more specific questions and get more help.

• Like 1

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

Ok so obviously I'm a noob at this so thanks for clarifying that for me. Currently at 170 lbs I have maybe 5-7% body fat left to lose before I get to around 10%. So I guess the question becomes, what would be the most efficient of those exercises listed in the first post to push me towards the goal of losing that last 5-7%? Thanks for helping me out with the terms and everything!

0%
0%

First Challenge!

0%
0%

Ok so obviously I'm a noob at this so thanks for clarifying that for me. Currently at 170 lbs I have maybe 5-7% body fat left to lose before I get to around 10%. So I guess the question becomes, what would be the most efficient of those exercises listed in the first post to push me towards the goal of losing that last 5-7%? Thanks for helping me out with the terms and everything!

Diet.

Fork walkaways if you want an exercise ;)

• Like 1

In very simplified terms:

Building muscle = Eating a lot + doing progressively harder exercises.

Losing fat = Eating significantly less calories then you do now.

As a beginner, any strength training you will start will primarily induce a neurological adaptation in your body. This means your body will first learn how to use the muscles you already have more effectively before adding new expensive muscle mass. Bulking is not easy and will certainly not happen overnight.

Having said that, having a bit more muscle mass is a healthy thing and will, in fact, help you lose fat more efficiently. It shouldn't be something you fear.

For some general tips on dieting, maybe read this from my website.

Ok, I understand that to lose weight I need to have a caloric deficient in what I'm taking in towards what I'm burning. I understand that, because I'm already IN a caloric deficient. Right now I'm losing weight almost weekly, my continued questions have been to find a series of exercises to help me burn MORE. I know that my diet is a big part of it, but surely there's SOME circuit, some specific calorie burning exercise, SOMETHING that's been proven to burn fat faster than simply eating better. My diet is largely under control right now, the only thing I still need to fix is my caffeine and sugar intake, everything else I've cut back on and I'm steadily losing weight because of that. SO what I'm looking for is some kind of aerobic, anaerobic, interval, body weight, whatever exercise that will boost what I'm currently doing right now. I plan to drop the small amount of flab I have left and slowly add more muscle. What would be the best way to do that. I know that diet is a big part of it I realize that but it can't be everything.

0%
0%

First Challenge!

0%
0%

I apologize if I am frustrating people, I have a bad habit of making 100 percent certain of what it is I'm supposed to do before I do something lol. I do really appreciate the responses and the help!

0%
0%

First Challenge!

0%
0%

Ok, I understand that to lose weight I need to have a caloric deficient in what I'm taking in towards what I'm burning. I understand that, because I'm already IN a caloric deficient. Right now I'm losing weight almost weekly, my continued questions have been to find a series of exercises to help me burn MORE. I know that my diet is a big part of it, but surely there's SOME circuit, some specific calorie burning exercise, SOMETHING that's been proven to burn fat faster than simply eating better. My diet is largely under control right now, the only thing I still need to fix is my caffeine and sugar intake, everything else I've cut back on and I'm steadily losing weight because of that. SO what I'm looking for is some kind of aerobic, anaerobic, interval, body weight, whatever exercise that will boost what I'm currently doing right now. I plan to drop the small amount of flab I have left and slowly add more muscle. What would be the best way to do that. I know that diet is a big part of it I realize that but it can't be everything.

No worries. I understand where you're coming from. I'll cut right to the chase. You wanted an exercise that helps fat loss comparatively more than others. Your answer is:

There is none.

All exercise helps fat loss insofar as it burns calories. No type of exercise has any special power to help fat loss in any other way. Whatever burns the most calories the most efficiently is the only thing someone truly obsessed with fat loss would worry about. Running, walking, tabata, weightlifting, none of it burns fat any more efficiently than the calories your body uses up for energy because of it.

By the way, interval/circuit training tends to give you the most caloric bang for the time you spend on it.

There are other things to consider, however. Once you get into the teens of bodyfat percentage, it becomes possible to lose muscle along with fat if you are cutting steeply. Strength training, along with an adequate protein intake (around 0.8-1g/lb of lean body mass per day) will prevent any muscle loss and ensure you're only losing fat.

So my opinion is that some type of strength training should be part of a diet plan. That can be a classic strength programming like a bodyweight strength routine from startbodyweight.com, a weightlifting program like Stronglifts, or a circuit routine like NF's beginner bodyweight workout (which you'd eventually outgrow and replace with more focused strength training). YMMV.

• Like 1

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

I apologize if I am frustrating people, I have a bad habit of making 100 percent certain of what it is I'm supposed to do before I do something lol. I do really appreciate the responses and the help!

Not frustrating at all. I second what PaulG said. The type of exercise doesn't matter too much as long as it's something you enjoy (which means you'll stick to it over the long run).

I'm sure your success in weight loss is not because you found some magic food, but because you implemented healthy habits in your life that slowly accumulated to the weight you lost by now. Do the same thing with exercising.

If you want pure efficiency (most effect with least time investment), HIIT (high intensity interval training) might be something you want to look into. 12MinuteAthlete is a super cool resource for that sort of thing and features an app that generates HIIT workouts.

Right now I'm losing weight almost weekly, my continued questions have been to find a series of exercises to help me burn MORE. 

Walking.

Seriously.   

The easiest way to rack up the largest caloric deficit outside of eating less is to do a low-intensity physical activity that you can perform with pretty much all the spare time you have.   Combine with regular 2 or 3 days per week strength training to retain lean mass.

• Like 2

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano