The Danger Method

How would you work events in for a strongman wannabe?

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

How would you work events in for a strongman wannabe?

Depends on where you want to focus and how much time you have. If you're trying to practice tech I'd work them before the strength lifts. If you're building work capacity I'd do them after. If you don't have enough time to do all of this in single sessions I'd add event days in between and just stretch the weeks out. 

Further, you can mostly consider the tens phase work capacity and keep the event work more tech focused during those weeks then ramp up the event density as the strength volume drops. I'd probably keep it pretty reasonable and not go bonkers until after the taper to make sure you're getting the most out of the peak but then you should be able to add some serious power/anaerobic endurance blocks and really take advantage of all the new strength.

The base you build with this type of periodization should really help keep you put together in these followup blocks that should build to hard and heavy - think of it as a precomp phase.

Ooh, there a general danger WL program?

Yeah, I might throw it up at some point too. I'm a little more careful with those since they can range from working awesome for people (who do them right) to really fubaring them (if they do them wrong). Strange how that works ha.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

And dradis that rack suit is built for people with shoulder problems. It can be helpful when training the ultimate maximal front squat as it does not pressure the shoulders or elbows as much as fs would without it. But i've seen it in use only with top level athletes.

Would you recommend the same set/reps for the hypertrophy block for WL? I just tried it today (the 10RM + 3x10 @90%) and it was pure back squat suckage after snatches and jerks. (Though I assume that it is supposed to suck, yeah?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, though when you're doing WL work that takes precedence. I recommend spending the majority of the time on hangs/blocks/partials and keeping the percentages lower to really drill speed and technique. If you can have a fifth day I'd do the full lifts that day but again keep the percentages reasonable. Whatever you can hit with solid tech.

The tens will blow anyway you slice them but make sure you're not getting too grindy near the end of the sets. I don't mind seeing some breathing pauses going on between the last few reps as long as the movement speed stays decent. It's the big grinder sets that're really going to smash you moving forward.

What did you hit for your 10RM? And what is your 1RM?

Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

My 1RM is 105kg. I attempted 75kg for 10RM but I kinda ground out the last rep so I dialed down the back-off sets to 65kg, on which I think I did a pretty decent pace. I did have some random form breakdown and breathing pauses past the 5th rep and I had to take about 4 mins rest between sets to catch my breath.

Do you think I started too high? Or is it just because the rep range is new to me?

No body, no mind.

My Battle Log: A Weightlifting Story

My 1RM is 105kg. I attempted 75kg for 10RM but I kinda ground out the last rep so I dialed down the back-off sets to 65kg, on which I think I did a pretty decent pace. I did have some random form breakdown and breathing pauses past the 5th rep and I had to take about 4 mins rest between sets to catch my breath.

Do you think I started too high? Or is it just because the rep range is new to me?

Probably just new. I'd take a small (2kg) jump next week and go from there. There'll probably be some soreness etc but after week two you should be feeling more accommodated to the work and can entertain 4-5kg-ish jumps for the last two weeks.

do you have any good suggestions instead of barbell rows? they just kill my lower back (not in a good way) but i need to start developing the mid-back strength while i'm rehabbing my lower back. 

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

do you have any good suggestions instead of barbell rows? they just kill my lower back (not in a good way) but i need to start developing the mid-back strength while i'm rehabbing my lower back. 

heavy dumbbell rows, they are much better on the low back as you brace against a bench with your off-hand. Still build the upper and lower back nicely.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Yeah DB or any rowing variation really. Heck chest supported machine rows will burn up the intended muscles with almost zero low back requirement, which might be what you need right now. If you're going the DB route just pay attention to your brace and try to stay neutral. It's common to overarch on these.

I meant to add this to the notes but managed to forget. 

Is Day 4 SP supposed to be based off of a percentage of 1RM for BP? Or did I find an oopsie on the excel download?

Weight (gain 30 lbs): 118/150 lbs Squat (1.5x BWx5): 170/175 / Deadlift (2x BWx5): 215/235 / OHP (.75x BWx5): 75/90 Bench (1x BWx5): 105/120

Is Day 4 SP supposed to be based off of a percentage of 1RM for BP? Or did I find an oopsie on the excel download?

This was indeed a c/p error from me updating to my current format. All the sheets have been updated so anyone working off old copies might want to either switch over to a fresh copy or manually change all the D4 (and W3D2 in block 4) shoulder press calculations to use spMax instead of bpMax. 

Sorry for the confusion!

Question about hamstrings.

I can't do GHRs because the second I try, my hamstrings cramp up. (even pvc pipe assisted) 

They aren't super tight or immobile, they just cramp cramp cramp. 

Any suggestions? I'm really trying to strengthen my pchain.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

I can't do GHRs because the second I try, my hamstrings cramp up. (even pvc pipe assisted)

IMO 45-degree back extension is a pretty good sub for the mean time. It's basically a cross between GHR and hyperextension if you execute it like a hyperextension. My hams, butt, and lower back are usually fried after I do them weighted for 5x10.

No body, no mind.

Sorry I've been MIA for a bit, life ya know. The main goal of the GHRs is to get some knee dominant hammy work so any sort of leg/ham curl variant is going to be the best sub. After a couple weeks working say machine ham curls you should have better luck at least working eccentric GHRs either on the ground or the GHD. If you use the GHD you should be able to spot yourself enough with the pvc to get back up after the eccentric. Once you can do a solid 3-4 sets of 10-12 eccentrics with a good, controlled tempo attempt to spot yourself less and less until you're hammering them out on the reg.

Question: would you recommend the deadlift rep/set scheme set in your program for oly pulls/deadlifts?

Yeah but only for the DL variants. If doing pulls it's pretty much impossible to maintain proper speed and positioning for higher rep sets. A WL version of this calls for snatch deads on the first pull day (day after the hardest squat session) and clean deads later in the week, following the same 10/5/3 block progression. If you can only pull one day a week I'd alternate sn/clean deads week to week.

Sounds good! I think I'll do just that.

Also, just wanna say your program's been very good to me. I just broke my old back squat 5RM and snatch 1RM today (am on Block 2 Week 3), as well as my paused front squat 1 and 3RMs - despite the brutally long pauses. Feels good to be able to finish my work sets without any failures too.

• Like 2

No body, no mind.