The Danger Method

Thinking about starting this in my next 6-week cycle, but I don't think I can do hypers in my basement gym. Will deadlift variations like romanian and/or Dimel be a good substitute ?

Edit because I forgot I can just load up my bar and do ham raises off that.

• Like 1

Dwarf Warrior

Level 2| Str 4| Dex 1| Con 3| Sta 3| Wis 1| Cha 1|

Spoiler

Deadlift 2x BW

80%
80%

Squat 1x BW

74%
88%

Floor press 1x BW

86%
86%

Press .75x BW

79%
79%

"A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry"

Daily battle log

Current challenge

I will be trying this very soon.

Not sure if I missed it but is there a recommended dietary intake? I'm coming off a long diet and i'm slowly bring calories back up to minimize my fat gain.

I would discourage trying to do just maintenance with this program if you want to hit PRs consistently every week. The volume is deceiving even in the 3RM and peaking blocks, and you don't wanna be fizzling out while doing 90% of your max for sets.

But then, this is coming from a guy whose idea of a post-workout meal is a McDonald's quarter pounder and half a liter of chocolate milk, so take it with a grain of salt lol

• Like 1

No body, no mind.

My Battle Log: A Weightlifting Story

I would discourage trying to do just maintenance with this program if you want to hit PRs consistently every week. The volume is deceiving even in the 3RM and peaking blocks, and you don't wanna be fizzling out while doing 90% of your max for sets.

But then, this is coming from a guy whose idea of a post-workout meal is a McDonald's quarter pounder and half a liter of chocolate milk, so take it with a grain of salt lol

Yeah no joke. I did the first workout yesterday, and I was smoked afterwards. Also I don't recommend doing it in your garage that's at 108degF. Completely soaked. 

So far I'm digging it.

And my post workout meal was mac & cheese, potato salad, sliced jerk spiced turkey, and teriyaki chicken wings.

• Like 3

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

Sorry, been MIA but I'm pumped more folks are taking the plunge with this. If you're one of the handful of folks who've been running the program for a bit check in here if you see this. I'm curious how you've been doing. I'll try to look around for your logs but I'm certain I won't remember everyone so let me know!

For the current questions, yes eat pretty much anything you can find. You might gain weight but it'll be useful weight. And I consider the variation in Dillpedo's vid a fine hyper variation.

Happy lifting!

• Like 1

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

I've been using DM while I focused on snatches and so far it's been really good. I just finished block 4 week 1 this week but so far I've had the following improvements:

Old PR before starting DM => Current PR

Back squat (3RM): 100 kg  => 115 kg         Press (3RM): 42.5 kg => 52.5 kgSnatch-grip DL (3RM): 90 kg   => 105 kg        Snatch (1RM): 45 kg   => 60 kg

I tried controlling my diet in the early parts, but I eventually settled to eating whatever the hell I want as long as I'm not hungry, but not to the extent that I feel really full. My weight never fluctuated beyond 79-81 kg range. Deadlifts didn't budge a lot since I didn't do them on the first 2 blocks, which was a huge mistake since I had my biggest improvements in the snatch when I reintroduced heavy snatch-grip DLs during block 3. Sucks, but lesson learned - you can never have enough grip and back strength.

The thing that I felt made the biggest difference for me were those crazy-tempo front squats. Extremely humbling, these made me realize that I've never really been properly engaging my core. When I got around to learning how to maintain a tight core while breathing, it definitely directly translated to improvements to all of my other lifts. Really good stuff.

• Like 2

No body, no mind.

My Battle Log: A Weightlifting Story

Snatch (1RM): 45 kg   => 60 kg

Everything else aside, this is what it's all about. Keep up the awesome work! And yeah, if there's a secret it probably at least involves the front squats.

Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

So I'm doing 21 day fix with Wifey, which requires working out every day. Seems I might be able to swing this program afterall. Considering it for after nationals. Looking it over now.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Eventually I had to try something else due to shoulder issues.  :(  Bench Press got separated out so that each major lift gets its own day.  I used a similar set-rep scheme, where I gradually move to 5's, then 3's, 2's, 1's, then event.  Bench Press gets a higher rep scheme because I am trying to recover the shoulder.

Dips right now are "no can do."  If I dip too low, then the shoulder pops forward and gets irritated again.

Sometime later, I will try again, possibly after CNF; possibly next year.  It depends on which program I decide to pick up this time.  I am looking forward to getting back into sets of 10 again.

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Sorry, been MIA but I'm pumped more folks are taking the plunge with this. If you're one of the handful of folks who've been running the program for a bit check in here if you see this. I'm curious how you've been doing. I'll try to look around for your logs but I'm certain I won't remember everyone so let me know!

For the current questions, yes eat pretty much anything you can find. You might gain weight but it'll be useful weight. And I consider the variation in Dillpedo's vid a fine hyper variation.

Happy lifting!

Well, it took me about 3 months to finally complete the first 4-week block (insert excuses here). I actually completed it back before christmas, but decided since I'd had a good two months off to start over again with the new year.

These are the results, all maxes are 10RM:

Lift                   Start  End  Increase

Front Squat     135   155  14.8%

Floor press      135   165  22.2%

Shoulder press 85    110   29.4%

Deadlift            255    305  19.6%

I tell you, deadlifting well over your starting 10RM (275 vs 255) for 50 reps after doing 10 reps AHAP is a killer. I literally had to pick myself up off the floor after that one. I suppose that is what one gets when attempting such a program when still a newbie. Ah well, I lived to tell the tale (barely).

Just started on block 2 today, looking forward to "just" doing sets of 5. Should give me more time to get some of the accessories in, I'm afraid I had to skip those quite frequently due to time constraints.

• Like 1

Dwarf Warrior

Spoiler

Deadlift 2x BW

80%
80%

Squat 1x BW

74%
88%

Floor press 1x BW

86%
86%

Press .75x BW

79%
79%

Daily battle log

Current challenge

Well, since it won’t let me finish my post… feel free to delete the post before this.

I don’t post much/at all on the forums, but I recently tried this program and made good progress so I figured I’d share and offer some thoughts. Bodyweight stayed about the same, 185ish

Before                  After

Back Squat                         315                       335

Front Squat                        245                       275

OHP                                     135                       145

Bench                                  210                       230

Sumo Deadlift                   355                       405 (hah)

I ran the program pretty mostly as written. However, I did dumbbell rows instead of barbell rows and added in some curls on squat/bench day and facepulls on DL/OHP day. I used the optional day for some dumbbell incline press and block pulls or conditioning work if I felt beat up.

I normally DL sumo, but I did the 10s and 5s blocks conventional, and switched to sumo halfway through the 3s block and stayed with it until re-testing my maxes.

Thoughts:

-DLs for 10s are hard, like really hard.

-My conditioning sucks, I learned that rather quickly.

-Those tempo front squats are brutal

- I think I dreaded GHRs for sets of 12 the most, but I also feel like these were the biggest contributor to my DL.

All in all I loved the program, and I’ll run the 2nd one soon. I wanted to say thank you to Jdanger for putting the time and effort into writing this and putting it on the forum.

• Like 5

Starting this today, actually I'm posting this in between sets. :encouragement:

Tried to be conservative with my maxes, but whee, those sets of 10 are killer.

Tired-GIF.gif?gs=a

I'm starting a daily battle log for this, and will add the link to my signature  since it's been almost two years since I've been active on the site. Also logged on fitocracy.

• Like 2

Daily Battle Log
Challenge 1 | 2 |
3 (unfinished) | 4

Follow me on fitocracy!

PRs: 205 lb (deadlifts) | others to follow

For the dips and chin ups-if I can't do 4x8 should I just to 4 sets until form failure or do as many sets as it takes to get to the total reps?

Also I'm currently lifting 3x a week, but I'm keen to start more as it's easier to maintain my daily schedule. If I want to start in June, how can I prepare for this madness? Or should I rather just change this to 3x week and add some recovery/mobility stuff on my rest days? 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gallifreyan Jackal Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!
(seriously updated, for reals guys)

On 5/18/2016 at 9:19 AM, Kuiken said:

For the dips and chin ups-if I can't do 4x8 should I just to 4 sets until form failure or do as many sets as it takes to get to the total reps?

Also I'm currently lifting 3x a week, but I'm keen to start more as it's easier to maintain my daily schedule. If I want to start in June, how can I prepare for this madness? Or should I rather just change this to 3x week and add some recovery/mobility stuff on my rest days? 

For the dips and chins I would probably try to rest pause them until you can hit the specified reps. Rest pause is basically where you take 10-15 second breaks between reps once close to failure. 

As for schedule, if you can do four days a week do that. Three with some active recovery is fine but four will be better. The prep question is a little tougher as it really depends on what you were doing before. If you're coming off a higher volume program (5x5, ect) it's probably fine to just take a couple of down weeks and work on dialing in tech - especially if you aren't super comfortable with the major assistance stuff like front squats. If you've never really done much heavy rep work I'd probably play with that too. By far the most common progression for people is them wanting to die after week 1 then settling into the rhythm sometime around the middle to end of week two as they accommodate to the loading. 

8 hours ago, jdanger said:

By far the most common progression for people is them wanting to die after week 1 then settling into the rhythm sometime around the middle to end of week two as they accommodate to the loading. 

I can attest to this. Especially so for the paused front squats. Also, if you are a relative beginner, like me, when you start it, you sometimes run into what on paper might seem absurd, like lifting your 10RM two weeks ago for 5 sets of 10. It might surprise you what you are able to do, though.

• Like 1

Dwarf Warrior

Spoiler

Deadlift 2x BW

80%
80%

Squat 1x BW

74%
88%

Floor press 1x BW

86%
86%

Press .75x BW

79%
79%

Daily battle log

Current challenge

Block 2 finally finished, here are the results:

Lift                    Start  End  Increase

Squat                225   245  8.9%

Floor press       175   190   8.6%

Shoulder press 120    130  8.3%

Deadlift             325    355  9.2%

Not as crazy as Block 1 increases, but that was expected, as I had much more of an inkling on what proper starting weight would be.

• Like 1

Dwarf Warrior

Spoiler

Deadlift 2x BW

80%
80%

Squat 1x BW

74%
88%

Floor press 1x BW

86%
86%

Press .75x BW

79%
79%

Daily battle log

Current challenge

Those increases in 3 months are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Well, I forgot to mention that those last ones  are 5RM, so not quite directly comparable to the ones I posted 3 months ago. Still, thank you, it's great to get encouragement like that from someone who pretty much has done what I'm trying to do.

• Like 1

Dwarf Warrior

Spoiler

Deadlift 2x BW

80%
80%

Squat 1x BW

74%
88%

Floor press 1x BW

86%
86%

Press .75x BW

79%
79%

Daily battle log

Current challenge

I used to think JDanger was a pretty cool person-until those tempo front squats convinced me otherwise.... I thought I might have been able to go a little heavier on my 1 rep, but the 3x3 told me otherwise!

On week 3, so still a long way to go, but enjoying it so far! 

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!
(seriously updated, for reals guys)

2 more days left in Block 2, but here's my increases so far. I started the program after a month off due to stress/work/sickness so I might have started a bit on the low side, but gave me plenty of room to improve. Currently it feels like the first week of each block is a decent challenge and the last week is me wanting to die and cursing jdanger. Next two blocks should put me into new PR range and the excitement to see where I end up gives me a reason to live. 

10 rep maxes   10 rep maxes % inc.
Squat 40   Squat 55 37.5%
Bench press 32   Bench press 40 25.0%
Shoulder press 25   Shoulder press 27 9.6%
Deadlift 50   Deadlift 65 30.0%

5 rep maxes   5 rep maxes % inc.
Squat 60   Squat 72 20.0%
Bench press 43   Bench press 52 23.3%
Shoulder press 27   Shoulder press 35 27.7%
Deadlift 70   Deadlift 90 28.6%

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]