Ares races to the frontlines

AresPandora

Hey y'all! I've been taking the last few days to really hammer out what I want to achieve this challenge. It's going to be slightly similar to the last challenge, but a bit more EXTREME! because we have to be EXTREME!!!!

tumblr_m5hv47ZLmh1ru9pppo1_500.gif

During this challenge, the last week and a half will be spent in the US, which terrifies me because I know just how easy it is there to gain weight. I've worked so hard already, and I really don't want to fuck it up. (also, should be noted here that if you're sensitive to cursing, might as well not look to this thread for advice. I tend to curse a lot)

TO THE QUEST!!!!

Main Goal: to continue my quest for ridding myself of extra padding as well as gaining valuable health points.

I will achieve this by the following quests:

Quest 1: To completely run a 5K race.

I have just registered for this race, which will happen on July 11th. Registering and paying is a good kick in the ass for me. I hate wasting money. Also I'm telling friends and family back home. I know my mother at least will keep nagging me about it. So, training must happen. Part of this goal will be running four times a week, excluding hashes. Hashes will be like a little test every weekend on my progress thus far.

Quest 2: To overhaul my diet

At this moment, I'm fairly paleo during the week, and on weekends I just lose it. I'm sticking to paleo much better this time around. It worked so well last challenge, so I know it works. I just have to commit to doing better.

Quest 3: To allow myself sufficient rest

Right now I'm slipping back into my bad sleep habits. Keeping my phone close to my bed, surfing reddit until too late, and averaging about 5 hours a night. To lose weight and be the healthiest I possibly can, my body requires sleep, and a proper amount at that. Time to redesign my batcave and get myself into better sleeping habits. Better sleep habits also mean my sleep paralysis gets a bit better, which is always a good thing.

I might add another goal for a life quest later, but this is a good start, I feel. On-on!

• Like 3

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout
STR: 7 | DEX 2 | STA 8 | CON 9 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Here's some sweet tunes to motivate you. 

:D

• Like 1

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

STR 0 | DEX 0 | CON | STA 0 | WIS 0 |CHA 0 

Battlelog | NF Character Sheet Template 2.0 (stats system) | NF Character Sheet Template v3.0 (XP system)

(File > Make a Copy), enter your own details, track everything in one place. Please PM me if you have any questions or ideas. 

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. - Arthur C Clarke

Hey hey!

I like the goals. Especially the importance you're putting on sleep!

Also the 5k registration, paying, and telling folks you're doing it - brave and very likely to keep you training!

Don't forget to add stat bonuses and grading if that's your thing.

Have a good week getting your batcave set up and figuring out some weekend food tactics.

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Yeah, I'll add the stats and all that here in a bit. I just wanted to get the challenge part down first so I know I'm committing. Another one of those, "If you build it, they will come." Or, in this case, "If you write it, you will commit."

• Like 2

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Before and after pics of the redesign please!

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

Battlelog | NF Character Sheet Template 2.0 (stats system) | NF Character Sheet Template v3.0 (XP system)

(File > Make a Copy), enter your own details, track everything in one place. Please PM me if you have any questions or ideas. 

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. - Arthur C Clarke

It all sounds really good.  Sleep seems to be tossed aside so easily and under rated.  You are so right about it to help being the healthiest you.

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

So I'm finished with my batcave, and I think the improvements are really good. Here's before:

xfeB3mWl.jpg

I hadn't cleaned in a while, clearly. Notice the electronics surrounding the bed, which is never a good thing. The clutter in my house was evidence of the clutter in my mind. I didn't want to clean it, because it took effort, and the last week has been so lazy. BUT! Today is the start of a new challenge, and the start of another respawn. Just so happens I'm sick today. Hope it's not MERS...

Here's the after:

KNFpzDhl.jpg

Electronics moved across the room. Alarm set for 10 PM to remind me to turn off electronics and get to bed. Books by the bed to wind down my mind before sleeping. Lamp bulb replaced so I can read at night without an overhead light. AND IT'S CLEAN! Every square inch of my apartment is now clean. Woot! Along with getting some laundry done so I have some nice things to wear to work tomorrow.

• Like 3

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

have to agree that sleep is definitely something that is often overlooked.  I have struggled to get to sleep since I was a child (was never in bed before 11pm even when I was a little kid according to my mum) so it's something I would really like to get better at.  

My problem is that since I was a teenager I've always gone to sleep with either the TV or music on (nowadays it's listening to podcasts) and as the wife has a totally different sleep rythm (can go to bed at 6pm if the chance is there) I'm forced into headphones and my phone next to me (I may try to change this up for the next challenge).

Good luck with the challenge

Scout - Lvl 1

MyFitnessPal

tumblr

weight

I've gotten used to sleeping on a mat. But good thing is I don't wake up with back pain much anymore. It really is pretty good for your back. Only problem I have right now is that it's too damn hot!!! 

Last night was the first night of the new system, and didn't work out as well as I'd thought. Sleep paralysis is in high gear, apparently. Nightmares abound! I'm not sure why this is happening, but I guess my brain is trying to wrap around the amount of sleep I'm now getting (AKA: enough), versus the amount I was getting lately (AKA: not much at all). Sleep paralysis is a weird, sucky thing.

So far my diet has been on fire! I'm eating pretty healthy, making sure to get all my protein so far. Lentils aren't paleo, but that and a bit of breadcrumbs are the only non-paleo things I've eaten. I know it's only been a day, but still. That's planning through tomorrow evening as well. I need to go grocery shopping. Also, need to defrost my fridge. It's too cold in there and keeps destroying my veggies. I bought two cucumbers a few days ago and my fridge turned them to sludge. Bugger.

• Like 1

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Slept alright last night, but not enough. Only woke up once though. Kept hitting snooze, but in order to get to snooze with my new batcave, I have to get up, cross the room, and turn it off. So, it worked pretty well this morning. By the time I settled back into bed, it would go off again. 

Summer has officially hit, and with it: the heat. I usually walk to work, about a kilometer, and so far it's been fine, but I'm not sure about today. I'll do it anyway, probably, but I don't want to. Haha. However, nowadays I'm doing a lot of things I don't necessarily want to do. Like workouts. Or runs. Or work in general.

It's too hot to do anything!!!!

sohot.gif

Truth be told, it's not even that bad yet. I just really hate Summer. Bring back the cold. 

713134307705514411.gif

tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.gif

• Like 1

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

You place looks amazing!  Fantastic changes but sorry to hear about the sleep paralysis issue.  Had that happen and it is awful to put it mildly.  Day 1...win!

• Like 1

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

I'm sore....

I've scaled back the number of reps in my sets to concentrate on form and focus. Getting out 15 full pushups is great, but doing 10 full pushups with good form, slowly, and maintaining good posture is better. So, that's what I'm doing. And boy, is it making a difference. I'm using the same amount of weight as I was previous, but just going much slower. There's no race in health and fitness.

......unless it's a race.

Speaking of races, I went on a run yesterday, and it was fantastic. I never really WANT to go out on a run starting out, but once I start, I never want to stop! It's a great way to settle your mind on things. I'm feeling a lot better about some of the choices I've made lately, and settled myself on a few things I was on the fence about. Decided when I'm back in the States for a while I'm going to go to my mother's gym, and hopefully get on with her trainer too, so I can get some good teaching on free weights. I've never really done free weights, so I'm scared to death of them. Really, I just want someone to teach me so when I'm back home in Korea, I can start a gym membership and not be frightened to death. 

I also decided that being in America is not an excuse to put on weight, or be lazy. Yes, I can enjoy some of the foods that I used to love, but not in the amount I used to. Seriously. I'm really just hoping this willpower follows me around in the States, and doesn't get lost in mounds of Mexican food.

53a06a951423e_-_mexicanfood.gif

• Like 2

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Looks like you're doing well. And you've got the right attitude for the US. The hardest part for me was that we were hanging with a crowd of gamers who had a week long LAN party (AWESOME) that was fuelled by cheezits, beer, pizza, chinese and mexican food. Yeesh. So you need to be sure you can either do your own thing for food or get them to be on board with your choices. Try to emphasise your flexibility by going for steak and barbecue stuff, and if you go out then choose the grilled/poached/salmon/whatever healthy options. There is usually at least one option. 

I'm excited to see what you do with weights too... :) 
  • Like 2

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

That lady is exactly how I feel. She knows my brain. It's too damn hot.

Yesterday was nice! With the rain....and the coolness....but now the sun has exploded with mosquitoes and I am being consumed....it's awful.

Decided to get up early and do my strength workout and a run. Went nearly 7 km today with minimal walking. Super awesome, but I was grunting through the end. Just telling myself, "Eh, who cares who sees you right now. Grunt away! Get through this!"

Came back home, stretched(hammies are soooooo tight today), and made an awesome brunch for myself. Bacon, egg scramble with broccoli and mushroom, and a lovely cup of tea. So full right now, but it's totally satisfying.

Why does my love of running have to fight against my hatred of summer? Bring back winter!!!! Where the hell are the Starks?!?

1372122423-Stark-Family_zps81a45077.jpg

• Like 1

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Love your determination and you have done great so far!  I am sure you can keep it together in the States.  I went to a wedding reception yesterday but I worked out first.  I then decided a piece of wedding cake was fine as long as dinner was reasonable (kept it to lots of fruit, veggies, and tasty protein), and I did it.  You can to for sure.  I love free weights but I know how intimidating it can be too.  I use dumbbells at home so no one sees and when at a gym I am more inclined to workout with those weights when it is slow there.  Then again I have to remind myself that no one is there to watch me and everyone is working on their own stuff.  Most folks that have been there have been great about encouraging and even offering pretty solid advice/tips based on what I learned through NFA.  

• Like 1

Determination sidelined by universe using UNEXPECTED SUMMER COLD! Ares is down for the count....

I had a really great weekend of running and hashing, and then Monday hit with the most horrible coughing, headache-y, stomach churning pains ever. So, I took a bit of a rest. I'm behind on my training, which bothers me, but hopefully after this weekend's plans of travel and hiking I can tell myself I've caught up. Just as long as I keep my food in control. 

After the weekend of not exactly counting calories or measuring food in general, I'm back on track today and feeling much better. Still have a cough, but I'm sure that'll get better eventually. I'm really looking forward to this weekend, even though there will be children about....

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Sorry to hear about the cold.

Is the saying "feed a cold, starve a fever"? I think that's right.

Of course, I'm not sure it's true enough to be universal, but it's worth a shot.

Sounds like food is in the spotlight, how did the last 2 days go?

Feel better!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Food is not doing great, just because I feel so crappy. I'm too lazy to cook lately. Usually breakfasts and lunches are good, though. Gotta get back to it. Headed to the doctor in the morning. Just hoping I don't get put on some list for potential MERS and quarantined for two weeks.

• Like 1

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4