Ares races to the frontlines

AresPandora

How are you feeling? Did you manage to get stuff at the pharmacy? Have you been quarantined? ARE YOU A ZOMBIE?

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

STR 0 | DEX 0 | CON | STA 0 | WIS 0 |CHA 0 

Battlelog | NF Character Sheet Template 2.0 (stats system) | NF Character Sheet Template v3.0 (XP system)

(File > Make a Copy), enter your own details, track everything in one place. Please PM me if you have any questions or ideas. 

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. - Arthur C Clarke

Went to the doctor, got some meds who haven't really made much of a difference. So, I'm hoping that it just clears up on its own. It'll happen eventually, right?!

Hiked 23km this weekend in two days with Salambander, and somehow ended up gaining 2kgs. I'm hoping that's just water retention. 

Today I'm getting a lot of work done, hopefully finishing everything for the semester tomorrow at latest. Also planning to do a lot of cooking this evening, and trying some new recipes. And I desperately need to clean my apartment. haha.

As far as being honest, this challenge is not going great for me. My illness knocked me out for the last week, and I ended up doing nothing. Like, nothing. And totally bought a loaf of bread at the grocery story for some reason and ate all of it. Boom. Bad stuff. I lost all motivation to do anything.

This week is a new week, though. So, we'll start again and do better.

• Like 2

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout
STR: 7 | DEX 2 | STA 8 | CON 9 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

I also have weirdly gained weight despite all that exercise. I think it's water retention. Or maybe all the beer? Probably water though because of salt and pizza. It's slowly trickling away though as long as I'm keeping hydrated enough to pee clear and often. How is this week going for you?

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

Battlelog | NF Character Sheet Template 2.0 (stats system) | NF Character Sheet Template v3.0 (XP system)

(File > Make a Copy), enter your own details, track everything in one place. Please PM me if you have any questions or ideas. 

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. - Arthur C Clarke

I think it was water retention, too. Weight keeps going down, which makes me feel better, but I'm still above where the weekend started. Today I'm feeling much better. 

I have two mantras for the day, which I hope you all can take and apply at some point:

1. I am strengthening the machine that is me.

2. If nothing else, I'm going faster than those still on the couch. 

Today I decided to get over the "sick slump" and do some serious work. I cleaned my apartment, pre-made a bunch of food(zucchini pizza, yay!), did a strength workout, went for a run, and just finished a nice 20-minute yoga session. Man, did I ever NOT want to go for a run. However, I went anyway. I saw one of the farms I've been passing for weeks, and figured out what they grow! A whole field of blooming, multi-colored roses! It was really pretty. A little while down the road, I saw an old, Korean man approaching, slowly with a cane. As I was running past him, he stepped to the side to let me pass. I gave him a little bow, to acknowledge his politeness and excuse myself, and he flashed a big smile and gave me a thumbs up! Man, it's amazing how a little gesture really gets you going. I ran the rest of the way home and feel great.

My little cold is getting better, I think. I'm still coughing up a bunch of junk in the morning, and am sleeping on an incline every night, but I'm sleeping a bit more soundly. My eight hours a night is going much easier since I'm not working at the moment. I can sleep in! It's so wonderful. My natural sleeping rhythm is kicking in again, finally, so I sleep most of the morning away. I'm totally a night owl. 

Anyway, while this challenge hasn't been perfect, I'm sticking it out. I can do better, and I will. BOOM!

• Like 3

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Glad you are starting to feel better and glad you are sticking it out.  I think on some things you need to give yourself a pass due to illness.  Your mantras are FANTASTIC!

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

After weigh-in today, my weight has gone back down to what it was previous to my weekend holiday. That's good news. Also, I've somehow lost an inch and a half off my hips. My skinny jeans are much more comfy, and I finally feel pretty good wearing them. 

• Like 3

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

So, my 5K was this morning. I did it with my mother, and we walked together. It was quite expensive for being what it was....just 5K around a mall parking garage. But, whatever. I decided to walk with my mother rather than run it, because 1) My mother decided she wanted to do this with me, and I wanted to be supportive of her as well, and 2) I am currently battling severe sinusitis and strep throat. Yay....3) I haven't been running in like, two weeks, because I've been wrapping things up at work, in Korea, and coming back to the states. Lame excuse, I know. Really, I just didn't make it a priority and decided that seeing friends before I left would be more important. I regret nothing. 

Since I've gotten back to America, my diet has been a disaster. Like, sky raining fire, buildings collapsing, Armageddon-type disaster. My mother's habits are so much worse than I thought, and she's in complete and utter denial. We've made an agreement though, that I'll do the cooking for her, and she will do the dishes. I can definitely get down on this, and she has a food scale, so it'll be alright.....it'll all be alright. I'm totally going on a run tomorrow, though, because I'm restless as hell and can't sleep well anymore since I'm not exercising. My mother has also expressed an interest in doing yoga with me, as long as I'll be patient with her. Of course!

She's setting me up with a membership at her gym, so I'll be able to go every day if I want. She's also asking her trainer if I might be able to take a couple sessions with him so I can learn how to work free weights like a boss. I think this vacation of mine will be about her as much as me. She's asked me to break her of her sugar habits. I started the other day when we went grocery shopping. Since I'm the one cooking, I didn't let her buy anything I wouldn't eat, other than milk(I just don't do milk very well anymore). We didn't go to her usual aisles, as everything I buy can usually be found in the produce section or the butcher. She was flabbergasted, I think. It was kind of a good feeling, letting my mother see my habits and have her mention that must be how I lost so much weight. Her comments about how good I look now really keep me going. It's nice to hear. She keeps mentioning my new-found ass, which I tell her I got from squats. SQUATS ALL DAY! haha.

Anyways, this is getting long now. I just haven't written in a while because I figured I completely failed at this challenge. However, in the next week we have left, I'm giving it my all and I WILL end on a good note. Thanks all for your patience and support!!!

• Like 2

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Hey Ares, how's things? Hope you have found some balance. Thinking of you.

EDIT: simultaneous posts. Strep sucks! I'm sorry.

LOL Ii found my ass that way too! haha

Like a NF friend told me recently, 'check in even if you're having it rough.'

I think it helps to share everything here. It gets it outside yourself where you can then work with it more clearly.

Have a great weekend and smash Week 6 to bits!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Wonderful! I'm also looking forward to hearing how many burpees I have to do for our little bingo game.

Keep your chin up and keep that attitude. Maybe work through the mind stuff from the academy with her? Work on building the bat cave? Sounds like you're well on your way already.

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

My mother is sabotaging me. I seriously think she's trying to. She talks about how great I look, and how good I seem to feel, but she's a total enabler. She's keeping pie and cookies in the house, which I should be strong enough to resist. But it's so hard...

Then she's constantly telling me, "Oh, one won't hurt. Just one a day is fine....it's really not that many calories....You shouldn't worry so much..."

It's like my internal dialogue has been ripped out and formed itself into my mother. It's the worst. Been here 5 days and probably already gained 3 kgs back. I'm too afraid to check. I feel disgusting and huge. It's a feeling I'm all to familiar with, but I hate it.

Good news is that tomorrow morning I have a session with a personal trainer. I'm signed up for the gym now and totally ready to go! I'll be going on a run tonight as soon as it cools off, and it can't come soon enough. Totally restless.

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Moms can really suck us dry of power and self-direction. We hold programming in us that says Mom knows best. Even when we know better, we fall unconsciously into questioning ourselves against their words and actions.

I would hazard a guess that she's trying to help you feel better by using the 'moderation' excuse without realizing that the strain she sees in you when you're avoiding the choices you used to make isn't a bad thing.

I don't know that for certain of course, but I imagine every mother wants to 'fix' the pain they see in their kids. They just as often fail to see that the struggle is the journey and the place you get your power.

Maybe let her know that the struggle is worth it to you to become stronger in your convictions. A thought.

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Maybe talk to her about how you're trying to conquer your old addictive food habits, and how if it was drugs or alcohol she wouldn't keep them in the house or tell you "one hit won't kill you" or "it's just one beer".

I also recommend watching That Sugar Film with her to explain why sugar is so bad and why calorie counting is ineffective and based on inaccurate science pushed by the sugar industry to hide the damage they do with their supposedly healthy, low fat, low calorie, high sugar products.

Whoops, that was a bit of a rant.

She is your mom which means momma bird wants to care for you and make you feel comforted and happy. And for her, these foods are an expression of love and comfort and happiness. Especially if she's making them.

So appreciate that it's probably coming from a place of love...

And maybe try some chocolatecoveredkatie.com recipes with her, and compromise by saying that if she makes healthy versions of the bad stuff then you'll quit complaining about it, but you won't eat the unhealthy ones?

Hmmmmmmm

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

5Jb0LMb.png

You are scout of the week!  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/58259-scouts-tavern-general-chat-and-questions/page-25#entry1558333

You are being a great role model for your mother (isn't it nice how it turns around sometimes?).  She may be trying your willpower with those temptations (my mother does that too, darn fresh baked cookies!), but she also helped get the gym and mentioned doing yoga so do the healthy steps she wants to and try resist the unhealthy choices that arise, if you turn the cookies enough she might get the hint (my mom makes less cookies now than she used to).

• Like 3

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Thanks so much guys! I'm super humbled and really, really surprised. 

giphy.gif

That's pretty awesome.

As for the progress so far this week: I have been continuing to cook for both my mother and me. She came home with two different kinds of ice cream last night. Good lord, this woman wears down my willpower like no one else. I'm logging everything, though. 

My time with the trainer yesterday was pretty productive, and he said he was quite impressed with me. After an hour with free weights, I decided to stay at the gym and do some running. Man, running on a treadmill is different, and so much easier than constantly switching from uphill to downhill. I'm enjoying not being out in the hot, hot sun, as well. Today it's getting up to 37 outside, which is AWFUL. I hate summer so much. Why I decided to visit the Midwest in the middle of summer, I will never know.

Today I'm giving myself a little pampering with a hair cut. I haven't had a proper haircut in quite a while, so it should be interesting. I'm also getting it colored, so my hair will finally all be one solid color, instead of showing the signs of colors past and present. haha.

My mother texted me today while she's at work asking me to look up some things for her on a youtube channel called, "Fit Men Cook." If hot, built men can't get her to cook healthy, I'm not sure what can. haha. But, I'm enjoying watching some of the videos. So far it seems like good advice. More of the stuff I've been telling her, but hey, repetition is key to learning! She's also asked me to show her some yoga tonight. I'm pretty excited about that. I bought her a nice yoga mat of her own (purple!) so she can do yoga alongside me. I think we'll just do some easy flow work tonight. She's not very flexible, and her knees are bad, so I want to take it easy for sure.

I have another session with the trainer tomorrow, and I'm going to ask if we can do some barbell work, like squats and deadlifts. Yesterday he kept giving me more and more weight, because I think he underestimated my strength. I promise, Mister, I'm stronger than I look!

Anyways, I'm still in shock about getting Scout of the Week, and so thankful to all my "fans" for giving me great advice and support while I traverse the mothership in search of healthy foods. On-on towards the end of the challenge! Let's finish strong!

• Like 2

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Look at you go!  From strife earlier to Scout of the Week and now to having a positive impact on someone you love.  Baby steps for your mom.  You have obviously planted the seeds.  Hey I had to finally tell my husband I do not want stuff around.  Too much for me to manage at times.  He can not keep saying we need to learn moderation.  Eventually yes but honestly I am just happier not having the temptations eating away at my resolve during times of increased stress.  My idea of moderation is once a week and not one little bit each day...that is just too much.  Keep working hard and setting the good example.  Also do allow yourself say one or two treats in reasonable and honest portion sizes a week so it does not end up being something ugly should you allow yourself a treat.

You rock!

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Yoga with mom was a go! We did 18 minutes of relaxing chest openers and some light twists before bedtime. She told me today that it was just what she needed after her workout yesterday and she's excited to see what else I can show her. And she LOVES her purple yoga mat. haha.

Here in about an hour I'm headed to the gym for a second session with a trainer. I'm going to ask him to show me some things about barbells, since I've never used them before and I'm super intimidated. Here's the trying something new! I'm hoping he doesn't just murder me, after my mother mentioned to him (they're good friends) that the last session was quite easy for me. 

Also, my day of pampering was awesome. I love my new haircut, and the color suits me just perfect. It's shorter than I've had it in a few years. Perhaps I'll get around to a picture once I've fixed it. It's just now "wakey" time, since I've had my coffee.

• Like 1

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4