• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Astreja

Astreja: If I can bike 100 miles --

-- and I can bike 100 more -- Yes, I'm doing a Proclaimers impression here.

Main Quest:  For this challenge, I simply intend to log as much mileage as I possibly can on my recumbent bike.

• For each 100 miles I register on the bike, I'm awarding +1 STA (to a maximum of +5).
  • Every 200 miles will be awarded +1 STR, as I'll periodically be cranking the bike up to higher intensity to log more miles faster.
  • +1 DEX if I log a ride on at least 21/42 days (bike every second day or better).

Subquest #1:  Go for walks in interesting places.  There are three nature centres just a short drive from my house, plus an urban forest, plus various city trails, and I haven't visited any of them.  0.5 CON for each place I explore.

Subquest #2:  Continue with keto diet and ongoing weight loss.  My target is 195 pounds.  +CON and +CHR if I succeed.

Life Quest:  'Tis the season for Xtreme Uncluttering.  At very least I want to find the floor of my study, which is currently hidden under power tools, renovation materials and such.  Put things away, give things away, finish half-finished projects -- I have my work cut out for me.  +WIS points if I succeed (but no +DEX for tripping over things and not falling flat on my face. :redface-new: )

• Like 1

Love the impression and love biking!  How long have you had a recumbent bike?  I hear they are great.  I am trying to get up to a 100 mile but boy 60 miles left my bottom quite sore....

Very cool on how you are awarding yourself for the biking.  Subquest 2 is something I try to do weekly when I walk/bike/run.  Amazing what little places you find or interesting things you see.

i really like your goals!

as for the uncluttering: I've just finished that project by moving into a single room. now i only have very few things i own and i just looooove it! have a great challenge!!!!! :onthego:

@suelk:  I've had the bike for a couple of years, around the time I first tried working with a personal trainer.  Didn't get along with the trainer but the bike is quite a nice one, solid and stable.  Most important feature is to have an easily adjustable seat so that you can get just the right distance to the pedals.

I've used the bike in fits and starts, and IIRC used it for my first challenge here.  My main obstacle to using it more often is that I have this odd idea that there's something else I need to rush off to do, and as a result the sessions tend to be short.  Part of what I'm doing this time around is encouraging myself to get into the groove and try for greater distances.

@fearlesscreek:  Uncluttering for me is a never-ending battle.  I have a 100-year-old house that's constantly being upgraded (hence the mass quantities of tools and supplies in the study), and I share the house with my daughter, my mom, and 3 cats.  Rumour has it that I go to work to relax.  ^_^

• Like 3

Did you by chance make a priority list for the decluttering? Something more specific than the study floor? Curious. I often need to get two boxes (Thing 1 and Thing 2) and only look for and deal with those items. As I go through that, I tend to make piles of similar things as I go making the next box to fill a bit easier. Maybe it'll work for you to some degree? A thought.

Ah, I wish I could get by with just two boxes!  The problem is that about half the stuff in the study is construction stuff, because we're working on the hallway just outside the room and the study is a handy place to keep the materials.  I'm trying to "disappear" at least one item a day.  Today it was a pouch of reciprocating saw blades, no longer needed because the saw's already gone back downstairs to basement storage.

Challenge is on!  *woohoo* I logged 5.8 miles today (at least I'm presuming it's miles; the bike just says "distance" under the digital readout.)  I had help from my portable music player, specifically Deep Purple (Highway Star), Def Leppard (Photograph), Alice Cooper (Under My Wheels), The Scorpions (Rock You Like a Hurricane), Queen (Stone Cold Crazy) and up to the first chorus of Suffragette City by David Bowie.  Methinks I'm showing my age... :playful:

(wanders off to figure out how to make one of those cool progress bars)

• Like 1

It's a good age to show! Nice playlist.

Get the knee flowing well again. Recovery days are key and it sounds like you did the right thing with the walk. Does it feel better?

Left knee is still quite sore but gradually getting better.  I managed to get some rest over the weekend, but also did a lot of driving (hence a lot of sitting, which makes everything seize up when I go from sitting to standing).  Things generally ease off after a minute or two on my feet.

Right knee seems to be okay.

Am going to try some low-intensity biking again this evening to keep things circulating.

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan. I too have problems with sitting. Right now, it's at its worst, but even good days include stiffness. Do you use moist heat to relax the muscles? I find it works better than dry heat as, I think, you get more depth of heat.

Good luck this week.

Terinatum, I do use moist heat in the form of warm baths every couple of nights.  We also have a microwavable buckwheat-filled bag in the office, which holds heat for an amazingly long time.  I haven't used it today, but it's been alternating between my lower back and my left leg for a few days because it feels so nice.

Starting to feel a bit more stability in the leg, and I can probably do some biking today.

One of the benefits of having lost about 20 pounds over the past year is that there's more room between the tops of my thighs and the keyboard tray at my desk.  I've raised my chair slightly, which eases the angle between thighs and shins and takes a bit of pressure off the knee/gastroc area.  I have a very, very sitting-intensive job (medical transcription) but get up at least once an hour to stretch, warm up my coffee, or otherwise Not Sit.

• Like 2

The karaoke's a thankless job:  Sven Mountain-Axe is under-the-table-drunk again, belching out the background vocals for old Beatles songs; dear, sweet Uncle Loki is wailing "Don't wanna be an Æsirian Idiot," one nervous eye on the emergency exit; and everyone wants to sing "Born to be Wild."  Meanwhile, I'm sitting just offstage with a notebook, trying to translate 60s and 70s classics into Old Norse ("Ég Mun Lifa" by Gloria Gaynorsdóttir is definitely popular with the Einherjar).

Did 4.3 miles on the bike today, nice and easy, no rushing.

• Like 1

Checking in:  I'm going to a sports medicine clinic sometime in the next week and have put the biking on hold until I get advice on my knee.

Uncluttering, though, is proceeding well.  In particular I'm advancing or finishing projects that are scattered around my study and office.  Last night I finally sewed together some quilt squares that have been stacked up beside the sewing machine for a couple of months, and also dusted and wiped down the sewing area. 

• Like 1

I went to see the doctor this morning, and I'll have to postpone/extend the biking part of the challenge.  X-ray of the left knee shows osteoarthritis and there's a lot of inflammation on the inside of the knee, so I've been prescribed a strong topical anti-inflammatory cream and instructed to let the knee heal up a bit before going back to the bike.

I intend to get to 100 miles, but probably not in the next 6 weeks.

Weight loss and uncluttering, though, are still on.  Per the doctor, bringing my weight down as much as possible is critical to my knee's long-term prospects.

• Like 2

Meal plans?

I've been keeping rather strict keto for the past 2 months.  The plan is to ease off into a paleo diet, adding more veggies and non-grain, non-legume carbs (and maybe a few berries) once I get to 195 pounds.  In the meantime I'm eating a lot of eggs, sometimes bacon or sausage, occasional cheese, and various cuts of meat with or without salad.  (Tonight I had a piece of fried basa for supper.)

• Like 1