• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Astreja

Astreja: If I can bike 100 miles --

Going to try for 60 miles tonight.

I also came to the startling (or not) realization that if I'm feeling achy, a sensible amount of exercise probably won't make things appreciably worse and might actually help -- So on my morning break I went into the back room and did a few pushups and a back/biceps exercise with an exercise band.

• Like 1

Well, it's too early to tell what last night's workout actually did but I feel rather okay this morning.  I did a pyramid series on the bike, 1 minute at successively higher levels until I started to have trouble with it, then dropping back to level 1 and working my way up again.  This may be a good way to get some more muscle strength into the legs, assuming I don't come down with a fatal case of delayed-onset muscle soreness in the next 12-18 hours. :nightmare:

Also did more pushups at work (on knees, letting lower legs rock forward on the descent).  Got one more pushup than yesterday.

• Like 1

I seem to have dodged the DOMS Faerie -- This time.

I'm trying to make it a habit at work to do some exercise on my morning break every day.  I'm up to 8 pushups (still on my knees), and the form seems slightly better than last time.  Also did a couple of minutes of hurdler's stretch, which is a big help when one has a job that requires Xtreme Sitting.

Slowly sneaking back into a ketogenic diet, with the intention of getting my weight down to 185 this time.

Going to do some bike tonight, but am not sure if I'm going to do low-intensity or a mixture of low/high.  I'd like to get to the 2/3 mark on the challenge (66.7%) if I can.  I have a concert to play this evening, following by an end-of season band party at an Italian restaurant, so maybe I'll do the bike before I head out to the gig.

• Like 1

This morning I'm up to 10 push-ups (still on knees).  Starting to feel some work from the chest muscles.  Also did more hurdler's stretch, keeping back straight and bending from the hips like a yoga exercise I learned many, many years ago.  Got the glutes reeeal good.  As an interesting aside, my mid-back was a bit achy this morning and now is okay, so all these musculoskeletal bits and pieces are obviously connected.

Weekend goal is to get to 70% on the bike.

• Like 1

Had a mishap on the weekend when assembling a shelf from IKEA, a.k.a. That Weird Swedish Place.  In my haste to get the next handful of screws, I tripped over a board, stepped on a metal screw post (but didn't cut myself), knocked over a step stool, did a triple Salchow, and landed amidst some drywall tools, going "Ow Ow Ow Ow!" :nightmare: Luckily the foot was just bruised, but I put off the biking to this evening.  Foot is still a bit purple in places, but no pain when I walk on it.

In other news, with the keto diet I'm now in the high 180s but moving steadily towards the low 180s.  When I cross the line at 185, that will mark a loss of 40 pounds since I arrived at Nerd Fitness.

I'm now up to 10 pushups, still on the knees but with good form.

Still slogging away at this 100 miles, and when I cross the finish line I'll consider this challenge a wrap.

Pushing for 75 miles tonight.

The cleanup of the study is... interesting.  I currently have a couple of projects nearing completion, so the room is a bit messier.  Last night I had to circumvent an ironing board and several cans of paint, but by the weekend the sewing project should be a wrap and two of the paint cans should either be empty or back downstairs.  At least there isn't a 12-foot articulating ladder in there any more. :playful: 

• Like 1

I'm getting close to the end of this challenge, so today I'm going to commit to getting to 85 miles, and (knees willing) to attempt to get to 100 before the end of September.

Trying for a little bit more tonight, and if all goes well I'm going to push through  -- carefully -- to 100 miles and the end of this challenge.  8.7 miles is quite doable, and I'm going to keep the intensity at the low end and put in the time, rather than cranking up the bike to make the distance go by faster.

I did it!  Levelling up.

Awarding 13/15 points, as follows:

• STR:  +1 for general leg work, including schlepping multiple bags of demolition rubble downstairs and out of the house.
  • STA:  +2 for long aerobic sessions and pure persnicketiness.
  • DEX:  +1 for putting in 23 sessions and improving form on the bike.
  • CON:  +2 for additional walking, including Victoria Beach band trip, and overall substantially improving health.
  • WIS:  +1 for Life Quest decluttering and project completion, +2 for having the good sense to extend the challenge and listen to my body when it was hurting.
  • CHA:  +4 for weight loss, coming in at 185 pounds (10 pounds less than my target for the challenge!)
  • Like 1