Laura's Battle Log

I don't see this as a bad workout at all - just goes to show how tough that damn SL5x5 stuff gets in a hurry. I had these funny pictures in my head of my squatting 200+ for 5x5 no problem. Turns out my next workout at 140lbs is a bit of a concern... Hang in there and take care of that energy leg!

Also, I think feeling weak and noobish is kind of a good thing. Good for the humility, to be certain, and it also means that you're learning and pushing your limits :)

Agreed. And I know it will feel really, really great when I break through these new barriers. Annnnnnnnnd maybe I'll get me some awesome SL abs, too :)

I know what you mean about feeling bummed out about feeling like the weights that (generic you) you're doing are too low to be challenging. How long have you been lifting? Because I started NRoLfW almost nine months ago, and didn't do much with the heavy type lifts until even more recently than that. So when I look at the strength standard tables and compare them to my actual 1RM or to what I should be able to lift for 5 reps given what it thinks my 1RM should be, I'm either right on or ahead of schedule. So it makes me feel better to know that if I am stalling out, I'm at least stalling out at weights where women of my weight and experience level are expected to stall out a little. And it won't be the case forever! We will crush these (not actually very) puny weights and at some point will use our current lifts as warmup sets.

Ah. I don't think I've really looked at that before. But I'm right on target or ahead for my lifts... that's pretty cool. But yeah, I hate being temporarily limited by my girliness. Not cool, body. Not cool.

this sentence makes a really good point. i mean, who's to say these weights aren't impressive? i think it's easy to get down on ourselves cause we look at women who can move hundreds of pounds and feel inspired by that and want to do that, but in the end, i think we're all ballin' the freaking sh*t out of these weights.

in all seriousness, say there's a situation where there's some fire in a building, and children or large dogs or some other adorable creature needs to be saved. looking at your numbers, you could easily carry those li'l kiddos to safety. not a lot of women can say that.

so you know, you rock. sorry that workout sucked, but i know you're the type who's just going to go at it twice as hard next time to prove a point to those 'tupid weights.

HAHAHAHAHA You either think much like me or you know me well enough by now to know that I absolutely love to think in terms of real life situations... though, you are much kinder than I am. Usually, I'm thinking, "Okay, if I were going to hoist someone on my shoulders to escape they could weigh X lbs right now." Or, "If my friend SoandSo got drunk and couldn't get up, I could lift her up-theoretically." But yes, I would take great joy in being able to carry adorable animals and kids to safety. Good call.

Are you a baller?

Lifting more than yesterday? Yes?

Baller.

'Nuff Said.

A concise point. touche.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Yeah, don't measure against other people. Be the best Laura you can be. That's already more awesome than I can handle.

Yeah. I mean, I do find it helpful to look at the strength standards to see what I should be shooting for, but as long as you keep improving, it doesn't matter how fast you go, and it's all good.

Yeah, don't measure against other people. Be the best Laura you can be. That's already more awesome than I can handle. Be careful with injury and always take cere of yourself and your body. Ibuprofen is a pain masking agent rather than a healing agent so use it in moderation. It's not a substitute for rest and recovery. Feel better.

What can I say? I have high expectations of myself.

I'm with you on ibuprofen. I only take it for this because last time whatever it was that got all messed up (sprain or strain-I forget) was quite inflamed and I couldn't walk. Regular mobility stuff, some glucosamine for joints and taking it easy. I wish I had some kind of brace I could wear.. but that would look like a diaper hahahaha

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

HAHAHAHAHA You either think much like me or you know me well enough by now to know that I absolutely love to think in terms of real life situations... though, you are much kinder than I am. Usually, I'm thinking, "Okay, if I were going to hoist someone on my shoulders to escape they could weigh X lbs right now." Or, "If my friend SoandSo got drunk and couldn't get up, I could lift her up-theoretically." But yes, I would take great joy in being able to carry adorable animals and kids to safety. Good call.

My roommates keep saying that if they ever get stuck in a cave-in, they want me to be there so I can push the huge rocks out of the way with my energy legs. (They don't use the term energy legs, but that's what they mean.)

I don't usually think of practical applications, but I have been wondering if my youngest cousin (she's twelve or so) weights an amount that I could squat if I put her on my back. Deadlifting people is also an option, even if they're a little bigger than me, though they'd be harder to manage than a barbell. Totally different grip issues, and they'd be all floppy!

Totally different grip issues, and they'd be all floppy!

haha i just LOL'ed.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

Another thing to consider when looking at strength standards is that you're dealing with trained individuals. I'm not sure what percentage of the general population that would be, but I'm willing to bet that it's fairly small.

What this means is that even if you're "lagging" against the intermediate (or whatever level) standards, you're still about 9000% percent more capable than most of the people that you cross paths with each day.

My roommates keep saying that if they ever get stuck in a cave-in, they want me to be there so I can push the huge rocks out of the way with my energy legs. (They don't use the term energy legs, but that's what they mean.)

I don't usually think of practical applications, but I have been wondering if my youngest cousin (she's twelve or so) weights an amount that I could squat if I put her on my back. Deadlifting people is also an option, even if they're a little bigger than me, though they'd be harder to manage than a barbell. Totally different grip issues, and they'd be all floppy!

HAHAHAHA nice. And yes! Absolutely! If I were stuck in a cave in with any group of people it would be y'all.

Is it weird that I think about how I could attach handles to people? Why do I think about picking people up off the floor so damn much? Anywaaaay..

Speaking of energy legs: the new TRG is awesome. ZOMG!

Is it weird that I think about how I could attach handles to people?

And here I thought I was crazy for wondering about how I could attach handles to tree trunks and rocks. Posted Image

Congratulations on your overall awesomeness by the way. I'm still following your logs and I don't think you are weak at all. You are doing great and you have the right attitude! I would let you squad me anyday (But no kicking anymore. I'd fly straight to the moon). Keep it up :)

And here I thought I was crazy for wondering about how I could attach handles to tree trunks and rocks. Posted Image

Congratulations on your overall awesomeness by the way. I'm still following your logs and I don't think you are weak at all. You are doing great and you have the right attitude! I would let you squad me anyday (But no kicking anymore. I'd fly straight to the moon). Keep it up :)

First: teehee, Christmas Cookie Monster! lolz.

Second: I guess we're just awesome and crazy.

Third: *blush* thaaaaaanks

was sprechen sie, willis?

...I don't know if that came out right... or if you had diff'rent strokes in Germany...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k

And award for most random post in a while goes to....*drumroll* ETF! :)

Speaking of energy legs: the new TRG is awesome. ZOMG!

yay! need to do a few more before i head home for the holidays...

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

Right! I'm trying to think of something awesome right now. I feel so bad for abandoning him the last couple days.

Speaking of abandonment, where is J?! He promised ample TRG attention.

he's probably tendderly reading the Notebook to the TRG blog images...

hahahahhahaha you're probably right. I guess we can't begrudge him that..

Guuuuurl, you are kickin' a$$!! Keep up the (inspiring) work!!

Thanks! I'll do what I can ;)

Also: cute avatar! Looks ass kicking and adorable all in one.

Ohhhhhhh, you know, I thought... familiar... but yeah, I did see that and I was mad at it. I cried for most of it. Seriously. I'm a huge puss. Injured cartoon dragon tugged at my heart strings.

Also, ETF, I'm kind of in love with your avatar. I didn't want to say anything... you know, didn't want to jinx it... but it's awesome.

That's how I picture you in workout clothes Laura...

HAHA! I will let you keep that image.

And one day, make it true.

And one day, make it true.

Shout it out Laura!

...you're actually making it true now.

It doesn't happen in a day or six months. 1-3 years is a reasonable timeframe from scratch. These things take time.

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Shout it out Laura!

LOL'd at this, "frealz" as Miss Laura would say :D

Glad y'all dig the avatar! I'm considering making a rendition of her awesome outfit for my Warrior Dash costume ;D