I just worked out two days ago, and still sore...should I just rest up for the 6-week challenge?

Right now, my right, kinda top-ish, upperarm and middle back feel a bit sore in a sort of sickly, hurt way, and the rest of my body is still a little sore, too. I think it might be the result of trying to do bodyweight exercises and SS on two consecutive days. I wasn't thinking of bodyweight exercises as strength training, I was thinking of them as a way to keep my muscles active and my calories burning.

Since I'm gonna be up until about 11:00 PM babysitting anyways and will have to get ready in an hour to about 30 minutes, should I still go to the gym and lift weights tomorrow, or should I just take a break and rest up for the six week challenge?

It could help to spend the time figuring out my plan for those six weeks. I'm just afraid of losing time.

Also, I'm concerned about my left arm being weaker than my right. I've noticed that it takes more to make my right arm tired, and that when I lift up a barbell, the left end lags behind the right end a bit. Yet at the same time, it's mostly my right arm that feels sore, right now.

I've read that dumbbell exercises help remedy it, but I feel pretty committed to Starting Strength's barbell workouts, and I like how they workout my entire body...granted I still get quite a leg workout just from doing body (weight) squats.

Depending on how long you've been working out, your muscles are probably just sore from being used in ways they're not accustomed to. If I were you I'd keep working out, just maybe take it slowly at first and see how you feel. In the beginning your sore muscles will probably fight you, but if it's normal soreness and not injury, working out will probably make them feel much better! Also be sure to warm-up really well with dynamic stretches and cool down with static ones. Also, if your gym has a foam roller, use it for sure! Look up a video to explain exactly how to do it (not that it's complicated, they can just describe it better than me  :peaceful:) and then go to town! It'll hurt realllllllyy bad at first and you'll probably want to make really weird noises and faces, but you'll feel 50x better after. 

As for the thing with your arms, I'd guess that's just because of normal use if your right hand is dominant and I wouldn't worry about it! Just keep doing the full body workouts and your left one will catch up.

Good luck!!  :redface-new:

smbuckley23 | level 2 | Spartoi Ranger Recruit

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 5 | CON: 2 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Becoming Princess Leia | Battle Log

"Be a force of nature"

That didn't comfort me at all, but you know what? I'm gonna take your advice and go to the gym today anyways just to keep momentum, so thanks, I guess.

I'm sorry!! It should comfort you! I mean I've been regularly working out for like 2+ years now and I still will be sore for a week if one of the workouts uses muscles I'm not used to using. Actually, I remember the first time I did Annie (a crossfit workout where you do like a total of 150 sit-ups) my abs were sore for LITERALLY 2 weeks. I felt pathetic because I couldn't even laugh without being in pain, but it gets better eventually! You should feel good that you're sore because it means you're getting stronger  :applause:

• Like 1

smbuckley23 | level 2 | Spartoi Ranger Recruit

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 5 | CON: 2 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Becoming Princess Leia | Battle Log

"Be a force of nature"

Day two after a workout is usually my worst recovery day. It's easy to let it put you off going back, but it's worth it if you do. Over time the post workout ache gets less bad.

I definitely second the foam roller suggestion. I'd be lost without mine. I use it after lifting. The sooner you use it the more helpful it is at smoothing out those kinks that cause the aches. If I don't manage to use it right after my workout and leave it until I start aching it makes it even more painful to foam roll. But if I roll right away the aching never gets as bad.

Good luck :)

Battle Log - Record from the Front Lines

http://hblyne.com