• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

stillskies

stillskies is the next master of the clow

I can relate to manager issues. I basically have two of them, and they don't communicate very well. It leads to a lot of interesting discussions over what the Kishi is going to be doing when and where.

So, how does it feel to be beating a GL?

• Like 1

Hehe I love being lazy too...lazy is the best :D.  When it comes to your boss...well more projects means you're awesome and she trusts that you'll do awesome!  Even though it still means more projects in the queue...Managers are weird.

Dog-Comes-Out-of-Pile-of-Leaves.gif

Ugh 60 leg raises.  I hate those...I really really do.  Though the combined zumba and leg raises definitely sounds very core heavy.  Also...speaking of storming....

WHY IS IT ALL GREY AND RAINY AGAIN?!

STORM.gif

GO AWAY RUN!  NO ONE WANTS YOU HERE ANYMORE!  At least I don't! :grumpy:

• Like 1

I can relate to manager issues. I basically have two of them, and they don't communicate very well. It leads to a lot of interesting discussions over what the Kishi is going to be doing when and where.

So, how does it feel to be beating a GL?

That happened a lot when I worked in retail. It sucks to be competent. :(

I'm barely beating you. :P There are some people, though, that I'm like, HOW ARE YOU STILL MOVING????

Hehe I love being lazy too...lazy is the best :D.  When it comes to your boss...well more projects means you're awesome and she trusts that you'll do awesome!  Even though it still means more projects in the queue...Managers are weird.

Dog-Comes-Out-of-Pile-of-Leaves.gif

Ugh 60 leg raises.  I hate those...I really really do.  Though the combined zumba and leg raises definitely sounds very core heavy.  Also...speaking of storming....

WHY IS IT ALL GREY AND RAINY AGAIN?!

STORM.gif

GO AWAY RUN!  NO ONE WANTS YOU HERE ANYMORE!  At least I don't! :grumpy:

More projects is generally a good thing, but I don't know that she realizes I'm being over-committed.... One of these days, I'll try to bring it up again. Le sigh.

My core hurts in direct proportion to what I did yesterday. :(

I... actually like rain, but it's getting in the way of my running.

It would be cruel to not sub a thread all about Card Captor Sakura.

tumblr_lnfdbfI4vL1qlroiio1_500.gif

I agree. :)

large.gif

• Like 1

DAYS 003 & 004 & 005

giphy.gif

I GOT TO GO TO JIU JITSU! Made it to the women's class Wednesday evening, which was awesome. Until I saw who else was there. So, back in January or February, there was a woman I drilled with who clearly didn't understand the point of drilling and popped something in my throat when she was choking me. It took about two weeks to heal, and I haven't really seen her since. Until Wednesday. Coach told us to partner up (there were four of us), so I grabbed the overeager newbie white belt - she's relatively harmless, and I've gotten much better at controlling her movements so she can't accidentally injure me again. Which would have been good until the coach realized that it was adult (me and the woman I'm avoiding) versus kid (overeager newbie and one of the regular girls - both of whom are in either middle or high school). So then he switched it up so it was adult/adult and kid/kid.

Boo.

So, we start out rolling from side control. Immediately, woman goes for the choke and doesn't stop until I've tapped three times.  :neglected:  I spend the next few minutes getting my ass handed to me because I'm trying to breathe. Finally, the receptionist joins the class and is tossed with us, so I end up manipulating the rotation so that it goes woman practices on receptionist practices on me practices on woman. Which meant I got to spend the rest of the class not worrying about a new injury. Yay.

Won a few rolls at the end, helped out overeager newbie, and worked on my arm bars. :) Aside from a back spasm while rolling (sat out for a round or two to stretch), it was a decent class.

After bjj, ran to the airport to pick up Amdhiel, then went to the store to get enchilada fixings, which was changed to whatever was quick once I realized it was already ten pm. Whoops. 

Yesterday was crazy at work (what's new?) and after work, there was dinner and shopping. Got some new capris and shirts, and a cute dress with Minnie Mouse heads printed on it. Hush. Another late night. Tonight will be some more shopping, enchiladas (yassssssssssss) and hopefully hanging out at home. Amdhiel and stars are going to go lift later (stars worked from home today). I'm mostly excited about enchiladas, negl. I am all about that ooey gooey cheesy goodness. :D

On to the challenge!

CARD 001 [THE FIGHT] 00:18:40/60 minutes. Watched a few videos: mount escape and full guard attacks. Got some good tips on how to position my legs and strip someone's leg grip. :) Not sure how I feel about the leg lock, though. I haven't properly learned how to do a leg lock, so I'd probably just maneuver into full guard. I'll have to try the guard attacks to see if they're feasible. I like that last arm bar, though.

CARD 002 [THE POWER] 5/3 workouts. Let's be real - every day was core day with this week's mini.

CARD 003 [THE DASH] 1/2 outdoor runs. Did this on Wednesday at work. My office is situated on the middle of a hill - you either have to start your run uphill or end it uphill. I ran up the hill and back down. Took my ~18 minutes to do the 1.25 miles and I had to stop to walk once. New side quest: run up the hill without stopping.

CARD 004 [THE SWEET] 0/1 baking adventures. This is a weekend quest.

BONUS CARD [THE MINI] On Wednesday, did 30 leg raises and a total of five minutes of side planks. Yesterday was 60 leg raises and six minutes of side planks. Today was 30 leg raises and three minutes of side planks. :D On a related note, owwwwww my obliques and abs.

• Like 1

Geeze.  At this point, just take your instructor aside and say she's dangerous to train with; she's injured you once and ignored you tapping out on the same move a second time.  Whether it's personal or something she's doing to everyone, your instructor should probably know that something not cool is happening on the mat.

• Like 1

I would, except she's dating the instructor, and the owner wasn't there last night. Next time I make it to a Saturday class, I'll talk to the owner, but I really don't feel comfortable talking to the coach about his girlfriend, especially when he encourages her to 'go hard' so she can 'get better experience.'  :nonchalance: She seemed fine with the receptionist last night, so I don't know if she's doing it to others. 

Don't you hate overzealous sparring partners? It's why I'm still sporting a purple bruise on my shin, 2 weeks after the session. It sounds like this woman has a personal vendetta against you for some ungodly reason. I think talking with the owner might be the best course of action.

Good luck!

• Like 1

It's tough when it's someone dating the instructor.  But... honestly, that's a situation they have to be able to handle fairly.  A student injuring another student has to be dealt with, no matter what the personal relationships.  So I wouldn't necessarily rule that out.  That said, talking to the owner is probably best to do first, because they may not be able to handle it fairly yet. :)  It might be best if the first conversation about her injuring people comes from above the instructor rather than below him.

(Personally, I don't have a lot of time for a student who injures other students, or for an instructor whose first priority isn't safety.)

Ooh, that's a tough place to be. I don't envy you that. Going around that instructor to talk to the owner is probably the wise move to make. Hopefully he can explain that hard training doesn't mean training to injure your partner.

Ack little late on this!  Awesome that you got to go to BJJ again, however, man that sucks to see someone who really needs to learn what it means to do practice drills and sounds like she's taking the enjoyment out of the class for you.  I hope that your talk with the owner proves fruitful.

Hope you're having a fantastic weekend! :D

It's tough when it's someone dating the instructor.  But... honestly, that's a situation they have to be able to handle fairly.  A student injuring another student has to be dealt with, no matter what the personal relationships.  So I wouldn't necessarily rule that out.  That said, talking to the owner is probably best to do first, because they may not be able to handle it fairly yet. :)  It might be best if the first conversation about her injuring people comes from above the instructor rather than below him.

(Personally, I don't have a lot of time for a student who injures other students, or for an instructor whose first priority isn't safety.)

Yeah, I agree that the instructor needs to be able to handle the situation fairly. But I also think that going to the owner is a better choice. We've lost some women at the gym because some of the other women rolled too hard and weren't taking care of their partner - the owner said if that's happening to one of us, to go directly to him so he can address it. I know there was some drama about that (people going to instructors who didn't necessarily know how to deal with it) which is why the owner is taking that stance. But it would be nice to be able to go to an instructor about it if it was needed.

(Totally don't blame you.)

Ooh, that's a tough place to be. I don't envy you that. Going around that instructor to talk to the owner is probably the wise move to make. Hopefully he can explain that hard training doesn't mean training to injure your partner.

That's the hope!

I'm back to follow along again because of awesomeness.

Ack little late on this!  Awesome that you got to go to BJJ again, however, man that sucks to see someone who really needs to learn what it means to do practice drills and sounds like she's taking the enjoyment out of the class for you.  I hope that your talk with the owner proves fruitful.

Hope you're having a fantastic weekend! :D

Here's hoping. At any rate, if I can just avoid her going forward, life will be better. 

My weekend was busy but fun!

• Like 1

DAYS 006 & 007

tumblr_lzbymnFfYv1r09l8ao1_500.gif

Weekend was busy. Saturday started off a little early because of the Insane Inflatable 5K, which was about a 45 minute drive from home. Race report at the end. :) After the race, starsapart, Amdhiel, blkhole24601, Tyro and I went to Chiptole to get burrito bowls because hungry. Then there was home for a little while to get clean and relax, and then we went downtown. Wandered around 16th St Mall for a little while before meeting blkhole and Tyro at Mellow Mushroom for dinner. Post-race dinner = pizza because yassss. After dinner, stars, Amdhiel and I went and saw Cirque du Soleil: Kurios. 

Kurios was interesting. Very steampunk. Gorgeous music. The acts were awesome, but the clown was.... strange. He was funny, I guess? I don't know. I don't generally like clowns to begin with, so maybe it's just that.

Anyway, Sunday was productive. S came over for our workout date, where I kicked her butt because I can. :D Our new stove came, which was super awesome! And then once I showered and S had left, I started to clean up, ran to the store to get makings for dinner for the game night, and then baked. The evening was nice and relaxing - a game of Cards Against Humanity with Achaedia, stars and Amdhiel before blkhole and Tyro arrived, then a relaxing dinner. Everyone but Amdhiel and I went for a walk after dinner; Amdhiel and I stayed back and watched Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince because we can watch what we want. 

All in all, a good weekend. :) Busy, and with way too many people, but good.

Now, on to the challenge!

CARD 001 [THE FIGHT] 00:18:40/60 minutes. Whomp, whomp.

CARD 002 [THE POWER] 6/3 workouts. Didn't do core on Saturday, but whatevs.

CARD 003 [THE DASH] 2/2 outdoor runs. 

RACREPORT!!!!!

Insane Inflatable 5K! First off, it was my very first obstacle course race. The obstacles were bouncy houses, but still. I decided that I was just going to have fun with this race, so while I timed it, I'm not really holding the time against me. I finished in under an hour, and that's good enough. Anyway, the course itself was.... what it was. It was mostly trail - there were a few stretches of concrete, but mostly trail. And because of all of the rain, the 'trail' was really just muddy puddles. Free mud run? Idk.

Anyway, the group (Amdhiel, blkhole24601, starsapart, Achaedia and I) started out together through the first two obstacles. The start was fun - climb up, slide down - and the second obstacle was annoying - it was essentially a bouncy sheet with holes, so you ran it like running tires, except the ground underneath was mud. Cleared those two, and since the ground was concrete, blkhole and I kind of took off and left the others behind. Whoops. 

Third obstacle was simple - enclosed bouncy house with big, inflatable balls coming at you that you had to avoid. Then there was a stretch of course that was just running. Which was fine until we hit the field, and the field was basically mud. At that point, we had to stop to walk because neither of us really wanted to risk our shoes or our ankles. I think we hit the next obstacle at the 1.5M mark? It was one that you climbed up and slid down, then made your way through some inflatable Xs. More running through mud until we hit the next obstacle, which was essentially an obstacle course. We climbed in and basically parkoured our way through it. I literally did a flying leap from one ledge to another and felt totally awesome. :D

Another long stretch of running, but this time along the road, so yay concrete! Then we hit the next obstacle, which was another climb and slide. After that was another super long stretch of running (through muck, ugh). The last two obstacles were up near the start. The second to last was essentially inflatable marshmallows that we had to bounce over. That was fun. :D The last obstacle was another climb and slide, except you had two areas to climb and slide down and in between the first slide and second climb was more inflatable Xs. 

In the end, got a medal and a shirt, which was all I wanted out of life. :D Have a post-race picture:

5kafter_zpsolzjhvxd.jpg

CARD 004 [THE SWEET] 1/1 baking adventures. This weekend's adventure was Strawberry Walnut Bread, which I've made a few times before, but I added more strawberries to see how that would affect the consistency. Apparently, it was good (I'm allergic to nuts, so I couldn't eat it).

20150614_153449_zpsjhxnwht9.jpg

BONUS CARD [THE MINI] Nada on Saturday. On Sunday, 3 minutes of side planks and 30 leg lifts. :D Totally came in second place. Woo!

• Like 1

Woo!  Fantastic weekend it sounds like!  I'm glad you had a good time!  I can't wait to see Kurious since Steampunk + Awesome Music + Great Acrobats = EPIC!!!  I'll probably be okay with clown but I understand that clowns are a mixed bag. 

ONE OF THESE DAYS I WILL BE THERE FOR A BAKING ADVENTURE...one of the days...

WEEK 001

tumblr_lzbymnFfYv1r09l8ao1_500.gif

Two days late. It could be worse. :tongue:

CARD 001 [THE FIGHT] Watch 60mins of jiu jitsu technique videos

VERDICT: C! 00:18:40 Didn't even make it halfway. Definitely need to be better about this this week.

CARD 002 [THE POWER] Do three core workouts a week

VERDICT: A! 6/3 for the week. The monk mini definitely helped this. XD We'll see how it goes this week now that I'm not trying to beat Kishi.....

CARD 003 [THE DASH] Run outside 2x a week (races are included)

VERDICT: A! 2/2 outdoor runs - one run, one race. :D Also found a new bonus goal for me: I'm determined to run up that damn hill without stopping. Not sure how quickly I'll achieve that, but it's worth working towards, especially since the damn hills are what kill my 5K times at work. 

BONUS CARD [THE MINI] Smash Bros: CORE

VERDICT: PASS! Did 6 days out of 7 and ended up with a respectable 450 points. Nowhere near BlackTezca, who decimated everyone, but I did make it into second place! Woo!

CARD 004 [THE SWEET] Bake something once a week and post a picture

WEEK 3 VERDICT: A! 1/1 baking adventures complete! Picture posted, as well!

WEEK 001 GRADE: B

Not bad for the first week. Totally could've aced it if I had started on the bjj videos earlier, but last week was just stupid busy, and the weekend continued that trend. Might have to block some time off on my calendar at work to watch a video a day or something if I'm not too busy. Something to consider, at any rate. 

Woo!  Fantastic weekend it sounds like!  I'm glad you had a good time!  I can't wait to see Kurious since Steampunk + Awesome Music + Great Acrobats = EPIC!!!  I'll probably be okay with clown but I understand that clowns are a mixed bag. 

ONE OF THESE DAYS I WILL BE THERE FOR A BAKING ADVENTURE...one of the days...

ONE OF THESE DAYS YOU WILL

And I'm sure you'll love Kurios. It's awesome. :D

• Like 1

Great start, and good job on the mini-challenge!

And yeah, sounds like you've got some learning to do as far as watching vids and such. A blocked off time would work, though how you schedule that would be up to you...

Oh, and that OCR sounds amazing. I wish I got the chance to do those kinds of races myself. :D

• Like 1

DAYS 008 & 009 & 010

giphy.gif

Work has been insane. Worked from home on Monday because I needed a break, and generally, when I work from home things are slower. Which was true of the morning. Not so much the afternoon. Le sigh. At any rate, got a lot done, and watched some Tiger & Bunny with starsapart and Amdhiel. I really love that series. It's very... interesting. 

Tuesday was busy, busy, busy. I barely got the time I needed to go and run the obstacle race at work (more on that later). I was in meetings all day, and when I wasn't doing that, I was trying to figure out project related restraints. All sorts of fun. At any rate, after work, came home and napped for an hour or so before driving to Aurora. Hung out at the Barnes and Noble I used to work at, chatted with the store manager for a little while, and bought a book. 

Now, I loved the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series way back in the day. I started reading it as a junior in high school - my mom's friend recommended it after Buffy ended. It had everything I could ask for: interesting plot, an intricate world, characters that were neither good nor evil (Edward remains my favorite character, hands down), and strong female characters. Two of them. But, somewhere around book 10, things started to take a nose dive. By book 14, everything was sex. Anita was a caricature of herself, and there were so many love interests that I'm seriously starting a project wherein I reread the entire series and create a relationship chart just so I can remember who the fuck is who

That being said, I still get ridiculously giddy when a new book comes out. And when I saw the newest one on the shelf, I squealed and immediately purchased it. Haven't started it yet (I still have to read Jason, as I'm sure it ties in), but have no doubt it has moved the top of my to read list.

In addition to the wonderful new book (I'm hopeful, okay?), THIS ALSO WAS RELEASED:

DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW EXCITED I AM? OR HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE WATCHED IT? OR HOW MANY THEORIES I AM CURRENTLY RUNNING THROUGH MY HEAD? alksdj;gdsalkf 

After the bookstore, I went to starsapart's parents' house for dinner with her and Amdhiel and played with bitty kittens. All in all, Tuesday was a good day despite all of the work.

Today... has been a day. I was in meetings all day (again). Managed to get to the gym and beat myself up (in a good way). Talked to one of the trainers about a potential half marathon training plan (was recommended Hal Higdon) because I'm 90% sure I'm signing up the Avengers half at Disneyland in November. Need a 10K time to qualify, though, but I have one of those on Sunday....

After work, came home and changed for bjj. The woman from last week was there. I'm not sure if someone talked to her or something, but this week she was perfectly fine. She stopped when tapped, she offered pointers, she chatted. Perfectly lovely and pleasant. I'm hoping this is a going forward attitude, and I hope she keeps giving pointers because she definitely helped me out a bit. :) We worked on side control with knee on belly and arm bars today. It's always funny to have someone do an arm bar on me because my elbows are double jointed, so they have to get super high on their bridge for me to feel it. Both of my partners kept freaking out that they were hurting me. 

Now I'm at home on the couch, trying to ignore some random chest pains that are going on. Took some advil before dinner, otherwise I'd pop some, but we'll see how long it persists. I'm hoping not much longer.....

Moving right along~

CARD 001 [THE FIGHT] 18/60 minutes. Watched a couple videos yesterday on double leg sweep (never going to get that because it's a standing take down, and we rarely do those in class or in randori). Watched some today on Americanas (need to drill these more), arm bars from mount (I'm okay at these), and, hilariously, arm bars from side control (I'm crap at these).

CARD 002 [THE POWER] 2/3 workouts. Did some core work after yesterday's run, and did more core this afternoon. Urgh, man. Urgh. On the upside, my side plank is awesome.

CARD 003 [THE DASH] 1/2 outdoor runs.

RACREPORT!!!!!

Yesterday was the 2nd Annual Hurry Scurry Obstacle Race at work. It was billed as 1.5M, but was really about 1.3M. The 'obstacles' were various exercises and balances (hopping from bosu to bosu, walking with a yoga block balanced on your head, etc). There were two divisions: competitive and non-competitive. I was accidentally signed up for the competitive division, and the organizer wouldn't let me back out. :( Alas.

Anyway, I was in wave 3. The first obstacle was hill sprints. Which is actually pretty damn mean because ugh. Sprints and hills just don't go together. At any rate, I made it through and made it to the next obstacle, which was the lily pad jump (bosu jump). I had to jump from bosu to bosu - if you fell, there was a squat penalty. I didn't fall by some miracle, and then I went off to the next obstacle, which was balancing a yoga block on my head and walking through miniature obstacles (aerobic steps, tiny hurdles).

This would have been fine if it wasn't so friggin' windy. I ended up maxing out the squat penalty because the block kept flying off my head. :( Oh well. The next obstacle was using paper plates and sliding them with your hands and feet across the parking lot. Our feet had to be on the paper plate at all time - if we stepped off, it was jumping jacks for penalty. Every time I lifted my foot to move the paper plate ahead, it would fly off and I'd have to pay the penalty. Double sigh.

The next obstacle was a bean bag toss in to a basket. Didn't make it, so had to pay the squat penalty. After that was rolling a medicine ball approximately 10 feet forward and then 10 feet back. Easy peasey. The next obstacle sucked - duck walks across a crosswalk. Which wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have to flap our wings and quack like a duck for it to count. 

Okay, maybe that was kind of funny.

The second to last obstacle was running through cones downhill. Pretty easy, although I was exhausted at this point (too many hills at work, man, too many hills). The last obstacle was spinning five times around a bat to make ourselves dizzy, and then sinking a basketball into the basket. This was, perhaps, the easiest one. Lay ups for the win, yo. 

My time was a little over 21 minutes. I was second to last in the competitive division. Alas. But still, it was fun, and I got to be outside, and it was definitely a good workout. Not much more I can ask for.

CARD 004 [THE SWEET] 0/1 baking adventures. This is a weekend quest.

BONUS CARD [THE MINI] Missed Monday completely. Yesterday was a two minute, thirty second shoulder stand. :D Today was 100 push ups and an 80 second shoulder stand. I'm nowhere near the top this week, but my arms are already killing me....

• Like 1

Great start, and good job on the mini-challenge!

And yeah, sounds like you've got some learning to do as far as watching vids and such. A blocked off time would work, though how you schedule that would be up to you...

Oh, and that OCR sounds amazing. I wish I got the chance to do those kinds of races myself. :D

Thanks! :D

Ugh. I'm so bad at watching videos. I know I need to do it more, especially since I'm still limited on how often I can go, but... I would rather do than watch. :(

It was so fun. :D You should totally do one if there's one near you. :D

It was good! And I thought it seemed particularly moist compared with the last time. :tongue:

Fair enough!

Man, E3 is bringing out the Nerd-side of Nerd Fitness. This is as it should be. :)

Looks like things are going well over here. Training partner woes were not so bad today, and you had the chance to do some good training.

And then you went off and got to pick up a new book. I didn't know that series was still going, but I'd heard that it degraded pretty badly around a certain point. Still, it seems to be good enough to draw people in to buy. Otherwise, the publishers wouldn't let her write that stuff.

Also, another obstacle race? Man. You Colorado Nerds have all the luck when it comes to that stuff. Total envy. :D

• Like 2

E3 is a religious experience for me if there is new KH news, let's be real. But yeah, I'm seeing talk about it everywhere, including on the Camp Nerdfitness facebook page. Granted, I started that convo, but... 

Yup! And yeah, like I mentioned, I think someone must have talked to her because she was perfectly lovely this go around. It was nice. 

Booooooooooooooook! And yeah, it's gone downhill for so many books... I know a lot of people were cool with that direction (personally, if I wanted all of that smut, I'd have been more into the Merry Gentry series she wrote), but it seems like the last two books or so have been slowly migrating back to plot. I stupidly retain hope. But yeah, publisher would've dropped it if it didn't sell, so.

Like I said, it was mostly exercises with spurts of running, but yeah. We get all the luck. There's another obstacle race in August - Wipeout Run - but I'll be on a plane to Mexico that day. Boo.

• Like 1

There's another obstacle race in August - Wipeout Run - but I'll be on a plane to Mexico that day. Boo.

Oh yes, boo, you'll be on your way here:

16315_x1.jpg

Poor, poor you. :P

• Like 4