stillskies is the next master of the clow

Now, I loved the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series way back in the day. I started reading it as a junior in high school - my mom's friend recommended it after Buffy ended. It had everything I could ask for: interesting plot, an intricate world, characters that were neither good nor evil (Edward remains my favorite character, hands down), and strong female characters. Two of them. But, somewhere around book 10, things started to take a nose dive. By book 14, everything was sex. Anita was a caricature of herself, and there were so many love interests that I'm seriously starting a project wherein I reread the entire series and create a relationship chart just so I can remember who the fuck is   is fucking who.  

There I think that's more accurate :P.   I've been intrigued by the Anita Blake series for a while and I like the kind of setting and the story set up from what people told me.  I also think that thanks to Anita Blake (as well as of course, Anne Rice) we have the relatively semi-newish Urban Supernatural type setting too.  But I haven't gotten into the books because of the nose dive you mentioned.  I may give them try and still.

I'm very happy that your training partner was much nicer this time around and not as painful sounding.  That's awesome and good to have a good training partner so BJJ is fun again :D.  So far your challenge is rocking great and I'm glad to hear about all of your races...

Oh yes, boo, you'll be on your way here:

16315_x1.jpg

Poor, poor you. :tongue:

...and yeah....about your upcoming trip to Mexico. 

...God that looks amazing.  Your lives are just oh so ha-

I can't even pretend.  I'm jelly.  I'm REALLY jelly!  UGH YOU LUCKY BASTARDS!!!!

nXJLWhR.gif

• Like 2

Like I said, it was mostly exercises with spurts of running, but yeah. We get all the luck. There's another obstacle race in August - Wipeout Run - but I'll be on a plane to Mexico that day. Boo.

Oh yes, boo, you'll be on your way here:

16315_x1.jpg

I'll be praying for you.

• Like 1

That looks amazing. Then I remember it's still summer and it will be hot and humid over there and I'm not so jealous anymore :tongue: I do wish I could take another vacation, though ^_^

That's why you go to the beach morning and evening and spend afternoons napping in an air conditioned room, eating in an air conditioned buffet, or lifting in an air conditioned gym.

SOMEHOW, WE WILL SURVIVE THIS HARDSHIP.

• Like 3

DAYS 011 & 012

tumblr_ml8vt9CVOB1r7ctb2o1_500_large.gif

One of these days, work is going to slow down, right? Right. I've spent the last two days in meetings trying to figure out some work arounds for a potential problem that could impact one of my project plans. I'm not too thrilled about this. In addition, I'll be working this weekend because I need to put together business requirements, which I haven't had time to do at work because of meetings and training and fielding all sorts of really random questions. Soon, things will calm down. Because if they don't, I may actually just crawl into bed and not get back out. 

Yesterday, I managed to get away from my desk to go play basketball with the basketball guys at work. It was fun - I missed all but two shots (at least I'm taking the shots???), and my defense was a little lazy, but I don't think that I held anyone back, and I kept getting the ball, so. I was going to stretch or do some core after the game, but by the time I got back to the gym, I was ready to just pass out. I made a half-assed attempt to do something, but I mostly just decided to say screw it and move on with life. 

After work, went to PT - my very last appointment! Huzzah! I'm officially released from care. She gave me some additional pointers, warned me about lifting, and let me go on my wary way. :D Went home, ate food. Tried to do a homemade fries smothered in cheese a la Texas Roadhouse, but that didn't work out so well. Alas. Still tasty, though. Then starsapart and I spent the rest of the evening running errands before heading home for a pre-bed snack and then crashing out.

Today was my first day going back through all of my lifts. :D I've been bench pressing on and off as time allowed, but I haven't done OHP, deadlift, or weighted squats since I started PT 12 weeks ago. Working weight today was:

Front Squat - 45lbs - really light and easy. Will definitely be upping this.

Bench - 65lbs - made it through, so I'm back to my pre-PT weight of 70lbs starting next week yassss.

OHP - 45lbs - failed the last rep of the last set. Will be sticking with this weight for a little while, methinks. 

Deadlift - 95lbs (warmup), 135lbs (working) - Warm up was easy. Working weight wasn't too bad, but I'm paranoid about my back, so I think I'll stick here for a little longer.

My max weights prior to PT were:

Front Squat - 65lbs because that's all I could clean, but we don't have a squat rack, so no real clue

Bench - 70lbs

OHP - 55lbs (ahahahahahahahahaha how the hell did I ever do that???)

Deadlift - 180lbs (3 rep max)

Shouldn't take too long to get back to squat and bench. OHP will come when it comes. I'm worried about deadlift because I want to lift heavier (I feel like a weakling), but I also don't want to aggravate my back. I could likely lift more, but I'm going to slooooooooooowly crawl back up. I'm going to drive myself nuts, most likely. Alas.

Anyway, once I log out here, plans for tonight are steak (yay!) and seeing Inside Out because f yeah Pixar. :D

On to the important stuff.

CARD 001 [THE FIGHT] 61/60 minutes. Watched some more videos today. One was a bunch of basic moves and defenses, but they only showed them twice and didn't explain how to do them. Granted, they showed 40+ moves, but a little explanation would have been good. Still, I know the names, and I can start drilling down to specifics. Watched a video on omoplata because I had no clue what that was, as well as two videos on drills to do to improve. Will add those into my work outs to see if that helps with some of the escape issues I'm having lately.

CARD 002 [THE POWER] 3/3 workouts. Did some after lifting today. :D

CARD 003 [THE DASH] 1/2 outdoor runs. Next run is scheduled for Sunday, which is the 10K.

CARD 004 [THE SWEET] 0/1 baking adventures. This is a weekend quest.

BONUS CARD [THE MINI] Missed yesterday because my arms needed the rest. I'm up to 45 push ups today. Might toss some more in later. Also need to do some shoulder stands....

I'll be praying for you.

Please do. I need the prayers. XD

That looks amazing. Then I remember it's still summer and it will be hot and humid over there and I'm not so jealous anymore :tongue: I do wish I could take another vacation, though ^_^

I don't mind heat. Especially not with a pool bar. :D

Hey, watching is still good. You may not be getting words, but your brain is absorbing images. That's useful, it really is. It's part of what made the difference for me in terms of get ups and the like, so it's not wasted time at all.

Though, maybe it would be better to find something that explains things to you as well. :)

Also, as for the deadlifts, you'll want to take a page from Steve Kamb on this one. You need to be extra patient with it, like waiting until the lift is easy before you do it. You don't want to rush your way back into an injury.

WOOO!  Free from PT!!!  Glad you're able to lift and now do ALL THE THINGS!!  I'll need to do Jurassic World and Inside Out apparently!  So many movies to see!!  Really excited :D

Also!  Awesome on the FroYo race too (spoilers), it must've been so freaking warm out so that froyo must've tasted good!!!

Looks like Week 2 is getting it's ass kicked!

DAYS 013 & 014

tumblr_m7e08uLxp11qmc0d9o1_500.gif

The weekend was busy, as per usual. Saturday was a mini-rest day, although I did mow the lawn (which sucks when it's hot, and even at 9am, it's getting hot) and then did a bunch of walking with starsapart while exploring our local shopping center. Which was kind of fun, actually. We got lunch at Red Robin (she wanted a burger, I wanted cheese sticks), then wandered around. Ended up spending money, because of course we did, but we did need new bras that actually, y'know, fit. Which we now have. And that is glorious. :D The rest of the day was spent puttering around the house. Father-in-law came by and finished the basement, and I decided to pick up where I left off in Kingdom Hearts because that E3 trailer is still fresh in my mind. 

Sunday was a race (more on that later) and I was supposed to have my workout date with S, but she flaked. Kagetsukai came over and hung out for a while, and then starsapart took her home while I played some more Kingdom Hearts. 

Oh, yeah. I did my very first chin up from standing on Saturday. :D Which is kind of an accomplishment because 1) I totally haven't been training to do one, and 2) I've never been able to do one. :D

On to the important stuff.

CARD 001 [THE FIGHT] 61/60 minutes. 

CARD 002 [THE POWER] 3/3 workouts. 

CARD 003 [THE DASH] 2/2 outdoor runs. 

RACREPORT!!!!!

d348221c-715b-4d66-bbcf-1ae29d14363d_zps

FroYo 10K~! Which was in Highlands Ranch, which is a little less than an hour's drive from where I live, so I had to get up early. I hadn't really done much prep for it - hadn't even really looked at the course - but I figured so long as I was under 01:30:00, I was good. After all, if I decide to run the Avenger's Half in November, I need a qualifying 10K or higher time. (I would use the 10M from last month, but that wasn't in my name, sooooo...) Anyway, got my bib and swag, then blkhole found me and we waited for the race to start. She had done her research and informed me that there wasn't much elevation change after the first mile, but the first mile, it turns out, was uphill.

Urgh. Made it all the way up and down and got to mile 2 before I needed to walk. The first 5K wasn't too bad - ~35 minutes or so - but the second half was brutal. The hill that I totally jogged the whole way up? Wasn't happening a second time. 

At any rate, the course was pretty, and, more importantly, not muddy. A lot of it was on streets and sidewalks, with about half a mile on a trail. The race promised two 'cool zones,' which were just inflatable misters, but there was only one right before the finish. Boo.

Personal accomplishments, though!

• I managed to stay less than a minute behind blkhole - I even occasionally pulled ahead of her! Of course, I'm pretty sure her time for this 10K was a slow one for her, whereas it was definitely a PR for me. 
  • Oh, right. I totally PR'd. Even though I walk/ran. 01:14:10. A little over a minute shaved off from the 10K in December. Oh yeah. :D 
  • I actually ran a mile uphill without stopping!
  • Strawberry froyo with gummy bears. 'nuff said.

More pictures, because why not, right?

20150621_101810_zpsukjwxev2.jpg20150621_085243_zpsopxw53vp.jpg

CARD 004 [THE SWEET] 2/1 baking adventures. Made funfetti cupcakes with strawberry frosting (from a box because lazy) and baked peaches (from scratch). I know the cupcakes were good, and starsapart liked the peach, so. :)

11535692_981250088594213_912028845097634 20150621_214827_zpshiti8xs1.jpg

BONUS CARD [THE MINI] Couldn't do any this weekend. I was just waaaaay too tired, and the positions for push ups and shoulder stands hurt my face for some reason...

• Like 3

WEEK 002

large.gif

Two days late. I have a legit excuse, though. Which I'll talk about later. 

CARD 001 [THE FIGHT] Watch 60mins of jiu jitsu technique videos

VERDICT: A! 61 minutes. Made it! Got a few tips and am looking at a few particular moves, but I'm hoping this will be helpful...

CARD 002 [THE POWER] Do three core workouts a week

VERDICT: A! 3/3 for the week. I was slacking. :tongue:

CARD 003 [THE DASH] Run outside 2x a week (races are included)

VERDICT: A! 2/2 outdoor runs - two races.  :D Totally even PR'd on my 10K Sunday! :D

CARD 004 [THE SWEET] Bake something once a week and post a picture

WEEK 3 VERDICT: A! 1/1 baking adventure complete! Picture posted, as well!

BONUS CARD [THE MINI] Smash Bros: PUSH

VERDICT: PASS! Did a few days, but I knew I wasn't winning this one. My upper body is too weak, and 100 push ups was my max, man.

WEEK 002 GRADE: A!

Nice end to week two, if I do say so myself~.

• Like 1

DAYS 015 & 016

tumblr_mwhp38O28v1rx7xs0o1_400.gif

Monday was miserable, and not even because it was Monday and my inbox was kind of a mess. No, Monday was miserable for the very simple reason that my teeth were killing me. They'd started to hurt a bit last Thursday, but I figured it was just eating too many sweets, or a flare up of the semi-permanent infection (my old dentist in California didn't properly clean a tooth he'd done a root canal on, but since he used a post, my current dentist can't rectify this without some serious surgery, so I occasionally get a bacterial infection that clears up pretty easy with antibiotics). Advil mostly killed the pain over the weekend, but Sunday it started to get worse.

And that was when I realized it could possibly be a sinus infection.

Something I've only ever had once.

Well, Monday morning rolls around and I am miserable. On the way to work, starsapart and I stopped at Walgreens to get some sinus meds. I grabbed whatever looked promising, which was some version of Mucinex. And it did an okay job - I could mostly feel somewhat human for a little while, but then the pain (and pressure in my ear, and my temple) would come back worse than it had been previously.

I did manage to get to the gym, which was good. Did a quick core workout, did some lifting, and ran through some bjj drills that I saw in a video last week. Some of that was a mistake because it brought the pain back, but.

By the time work ended, I was at a point where I was willing to go to an Urgent Care just to get meds.

But first, we had to do the walk through of the old place and hand over the keys. That went as well as expected - we'll be dinged on the yard, but oh well. After that was done, starsapart dropped me at home to grab my insurance card (I'd needed it for Operation: Occupy Uterus and forgot to put it back in my wallet), and then I was off to the nearest Urgent Care. They got me in pretty fast, but since I was in agony, it felt like forever.

The doctor did a preliminary scan of vitals and was confused about my symptoms because I wasn't congested. To which I was like, yeah, no, that's the only thing the meds seem to be taking care of. :( So, I got prescribed antibiotics - there are apparently two that are good, one of which is slightly better than the other, but it's basically penicillin, and I am allergic, so I got the slightly less good one - and was told to pick up Advil Cold and Sinus. Pharmacist warned me that it could upset my tummy (which, spoiler, it does! as well as make me super sleepy for some reason...) and that I needed to take it at least two hours before or after having dairy, since apparently dairy likes to leech the antibiotics. 

So, I'm on a 10 day course of antibiotics with strict instructions on movements to avoid so as not to put myself in agonizing pain. Joy.

Today, I worked from home because agony. I took my antibiotics and Advil this morning and felt like a human! After about three hours or so, it started to wear off. Not sure if it was the anti or the Advil, I popped some more Advil, hoping it would kill the pain. Alas, no. What makes me feel human is the anti. Spent the last hour of my shift napping because sleep kills the pain, as well. :( I'm essentially useless once the anti wears off and I'm not sure if I should just take a sick day or a half day tomorrow because I can't concentrate while I'm in pain. And because it's masquerading mostly as dental pain, I'm essentially sitting in a corner trying not to cry because I'm a big baby about my teeth. :(

Needless to say, today is a rest day.

On to the less depressing stuff.

CARD 001 [THE FIGHT] 0/60 minutes. 

CARD 002 [THE POWER] 1/3 workouts. 

CARD 003 [THE DASH] 0/2 outdoor runs. Trying to figure this one out for the week. I'm not supposed to do anything that keeps me in a push-type of position (drains sinuses, usually, but infection makes it pool), or anything that has bouncing/high impact. That would be running. I think I'll wait to see how things play out - doctor said it takes a few days for the meds to truly clear it up - but if Friday rolls around and I'm still miserable, I think I'll have to skip this for the week.

CARD 004 [THE SWEET] 0/1 baking adventures. Housewarming party this weekend, so trolling Pinterest for inspiration.

BONUS CARD [THE MINI] Sort of banned from this for now because of the quick elevation changes, and I'm just not that much of a masochist. I'm not BlackTezca, after all. ;)

Hey, watching is still good. You may not be getting words, but your brain is absorbing images. That's useful, it really is. It's part of what made the difference for me in terms of get ups and the like, so it's not wasted time at all.

Though, maybe it would be better to find something that explains things to you as well. :)

Also, as for the deadlifts, you'll want to take a page from Steve Kamb on this one. You need to be extra patient with it, like waiting until the lift is easy before you do it. You don't want to rush your way back into an injury.

That's the theory, anyway. We'll see how well it works for me in practice. I learn better if I do the movement, and until starsapart starts letting me practice on her.... ;) But no, it's definitely been helpful from the perspective of seeing the basic movements from different angles. In class, I can only watch from one.

Yeah, that might be helpful. 

I know. Which is why I'm sticking with 135lbs for a little while. Frustration is a good motivator, but I really don't want to go back to PT or screw myself up any more than I already am.

WOOO!  Free from PT!!!  Glad you're able to lift and now do ALL THE THINGS!!  I'll need to do Jurassic World and Inside Out apparently!  So many movies to see!!  Really excited :D

Also!  Awesome on the FroYo race too (spoilers), it must've been so freaking warm out so that froyo must've tasted good!!!

Looks like Week 2 is getting it's ass kicked!

WOOOOOO INDEED! Inside Out was... interesting. Good. I liked it. :) I'll skip Jurassic World, though; aside from the Raptor Squad, I heard it's not that good.

YASSSS. And yeah, that froyo was super delicious. Definitely something I need to partake more of this summer - froyo, not 10Ks.

• Like 1

BONUS CARD [THE MINI] Sort of banned from this for now because of the quick elevation changes, and I'm just not that much of a masochist. I'm not BlackTezca, after all. ;)

Did you call?

xIVzgwR.jpg

And I'm not a masochist!  Well, not just a masochist ;)

75f6477bbe89887139d1e3600afd44ae.jpg

Sinus infections are HORRIBLE.  I only had that once...I think at the beginning of this year too and it was bad.  I hope that all the meds, antibiotics, etc, help out with that so you feel better chica :(.  I think that if anything, stress, sickness, pain is bad enough that you can can't concentrate or you're unable to perform, then a sick day or half day would be best.

giphy.gif

Man I wish I was a home early enough Sunday so I could've at least said hi after your race since you were in my neighborhood!  Blah!  Awesome work on making progress with your race times and overall strong end to Week 2! Awesome work :D.

Oh I do hope to be able to go to housewarming so I can finally try your baked goodies!  Just need to find out what the weekend brings :D.

• Like 1

I'm feeling moderately like a human today - it's been nearly four hours since I took the antibiotics, and I'm only in minimal my-teeth-are-kind-of-sensitive-if-I-bite-down pain, which is leagues better than yesterday. So yay for antibiotics! :D But yeah, I'm hoping that I'll be my usual self tomorrow or so. I'm taking it as I go today, though - my boss knows I may cut out early if I feel like crap, so. That's always a good thing.

Eh, I'm sure there will be other races in that neighborhood, so maybe next time! And hopefully you'll get out here this weekend for the housewarming! I still need to figure out what I'm baking, though....

• Like 1

Aw, girl. Pain sucks. Sorry to hear that you gotta deal with it. :(

You take your time. Feel better. Training is hard enough without the added specialness of feeling all the pain.

It sounds like you had a great race and that you're doing as much as you can to get in to the Avengers 10K. That's awesome! I hope you can get to feeling better soon so that you can do all the things you want to do.