• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

stillskies

stillskies is the next master of the clow

DAYS 018 - 028

tumblr_lws9geGeNb1qepugpo1_500.gif

Um, yeah. I still live. Sort of. The last... what? Two weeks? Have been stressful and full of no bueno. On the good side of things, my sinus infection is gone! Housewarming went well! Lots of fun was had, etc, etc. Last week was full of less happy things, among them one of my kitties throwing up globs of blood and stopped eating (she's been throwing up a lot the last year, enough that we took her to get some blood work done in May, which came back pristine) which necessitated an emergency appointment with the vet for an ultrasound. Unfortunately, kitty has a stomach tumor. The vet gave us a few options, and we're electing to go the steroid route to see if we can send the cancer into remission, but at most, that'll buy maybe 6 months? Regardless of how much time we could buy her if the steroids worked, we needed to get her eating first.

Fortunately, baby food (as in, human baby food) does wonders for a cat's appetite. This morning, she even ate some wet cat food, so we're calling this a success. She's eating, she's moving around and acting a little more like herself, so I'm holding onto this and hoping like a mad hoping thing. I'm not ready to say bye to my baby. :( She's only 7 - I'm supposed to get a few more good years out of her before I have to deal with this. Sadly, genetics and luck is telling me to go screw myself. 

Spent the weekend doing random things to keep myself occupied - on Friday, starsapart and I went to Heritage Square and took on the ropes course. I now know that I will not be trying that at camp. Dear lord, too high. TOO HIGH. Realized Friday evening that Century Link had offed our internet because of a screw up on their end, so that was no good. On Saturday, we saw Wicked, courtesy of a friend who managed to get us tickets. It....... wasn't as good as the hype makes it out to be. The music is good (well, I think it is), but the storyline is lacking and kind of hodgepodge. It's almost as though the book writer was counting on the music to hold it all together. I mean, the entire first act kind of just.... glosses over everything. So. Still, it was a good time, and I can say that I've seen it, so. After that was a cookout and fireworks at BlackTezca's place, which was fun. Food and dogs and random lawn games were had.

Yesterday was a nice, chill day. S came over for our exercise date, then we went for food and shopping. I baked some muffins, and then my sister called to tell me she'd been in the ER the night before because she'd had a stroke. >.< She's fine, she has a follow up this week, but ugh. She hasn't had one in years. She finally got her driver's license because they cleared the medical restriction because it had been so long since she'd had one. The ER doctor thinks it was stress (my sister and I were joking that she should only be sitting in bed eatng bonbons since she's not supposed to stress out). My sister said she'd been having a migraine prior (which is a known trigger for her) brought on by being too cold, but she waited too long to take her migraine meds - she thought if she warmed up, it would be fine (it has been in the past). Needless to say, the weekend did not end on a good note.

To the cards, although let's be real, I think I failed most of these.....

CARD 001 [THE FIGHT] 0/60 minutes for weeks 3 and 4. Welp.

CARD 002 [THE POWER] 3/3 workouts for weeks 3 and 4. Yay! I passed it!

CARD 003 [THE DASH] 2/2 outdoor runs/walks for week 3, 1/2 outdoor runs for week 4. I had planned on running with S yesterday, but the one time she doesn't bring her running shoes is the one week I want to go for a run. Go figure. At any rate, the one run I did do this last week was a race, so...

RACREPORT!!!!!

Firecracker Trail Race at work was on Wednesday. There were two options: a 2M and a 4M. Since this was a trail race, I picked the 2M. I finished in less than 30 minutes, which considering how much I ended up walking, is kind of a miracle. But I digress. It started uphill (as most of the races are wont to do). I made it about a quarter of the way uphill before stopping to walk. Once we hit the Hole in the FenceTM, I started running again. Despite the tall grass (which I am allergic to) and the fact that the 'trail' is more of a narrow, shallow trench, I did manage to run all the way to the really steep, rocky uphill. I even managed to run about halfway up that before I needed to walk for my own safety. I pretty much walked until the turnaround, then ran to the downhill, whereupon I stopped to walk again because ain't nobody got time to break their ankle in a rockslide, yo. Made it safely down hill and pretty much ran the rest of the way until I hit pavement again. I stopped to walk for a little bit on the downhill pavement to catch my breath, and then ran the rest of it. 

I was not last! This is all that really can be said for this race. 

I tired out far more quickly than I had anticipated. I think part of this was taking a week off of running (sinus infection, damn youuuuu) and eating like crap for the last two weeks. I've been eating my feelings (to feel better because of infection, to distract myself from kitty cat), and I have not been making good food choices. A lot more soda, a lot less water, more calories, less good ones. Trying to get back to eating well, and next week we'll get back to regular running - it helps to have two straight weeks of races to look forward to.

Still, this was a learning experience and this is what I learned: I am never ever getting back together with trail races. This was my last one. I just... I can't. My ankles cannot handle them, and they're just not fun for me. The only benefit to them is that, for some reason, it's easier to breathe on them. Still, #nopenopenope.

CARD 004 [THE SWEET] 1/1 baking adventure for weeks 3 and 4! For week three, it was apricot cheesecake bars (which went over pretty well considering it was my first time making cheesecake of any variety), which was kind of a bitch because graham cracker crust + no food processer = Sherri grinding graham crackers to dust by hand. Urgh. I also made raspberry almond scones, which also went over well (lots of people liked the sugary drizzle). They turned out okay, but not as pretty as I had hoped. Alas, next time.

FB_IMG_1435374929939_zpstf2vjzec.jpg20150627_122835_zpsmmkvtisb.jpg

This week, I made a cherry tart (which kind of... fell apart; lesson learned: buy a damn tart pan if you're trying this again, idiot), but it doesn't count since I forgot to photograph is prior to taking it to BlackTezca's for 4th of July festivities. Buuuuuuuuut, with the leftover cherries, I made cherry walnut muffins, which I did photograph! These are, apparently, pretty good, so, yay!

20150705_221404_zpsj0loo5ji.jpg

BONUS CARD [THE MINI] Didn't do week 3. I did do week 4, which I... didn't log. Between internet wonkiness (damn you, Century Link) and just... wanting nothing to do with anything, I just didn't think to do it. I might go in and add it in, but I might just not bother. 

• Like 1

WEEKS 003 & 004

tumblr_m9oswp94Hx1rasay6o1_500.gif

Two really crappy weeks later... 

CARD 001 [THE FIGHT] Watch 60mins of jiu jitsu technique videos

VERDICT: F! Failed both weeks by getting in exactly 0 minutes of videos!

CARD 002 [THE POWER] Do three core workouts a week

VERDICT: A! 3/3 for both weeks. Considering the sinus infection in week 3, I consider this a good thing.

CARD 003 [THE DASH] Run outside 2x a week (races are included)

WEEK 3 VERDICT: A! 2/2 outdoor run/walks for week 3.

WEEK 4 VERDICT: B! 1/2 outdoor runs for week 4. At least one was a race....

CARD 004 [THE SWEET] Bake something once a week and post a picture

VERDICT: A! 1/1 baking adventures for both weeks! Pictures posted, as well!

BONUS CARD [THE MINI] Smash Bros: STAND

VERDICT: BYE! Sinus infection precluded me from doing this mini. :(

BONUS CARD [THE MINI] Smash Bros: STRETCH

VERDICT: PASS! Did it, but haven't logged. Will probably go do that in a minute...

WEEK 003 GRADE: B-!

WEEK 004 GRADE: C!

Not the best weeks ever, but at least I'm still plugging along rather than just giving up all together?

• Like 2

Much *HUGS* to you!! Stress seems to only be putting it lightly for you. <3

Also, yes, pancake run, let us do. I'll register later today. Also, thoughts on Hot Chocolate? Prices go up next Monday.....

You are still going strong, especially after such a rough two weeks!  Ouch!  You still got it though and it was fantastic seeing you and stars at the cookout!  I am still eating those cherry tarts you made to!  They are going very well with some greek yogurt (spiked with truvia because of course) and made an excellent dessert last night :D.

I am still waffling (like I always do) on the pancake run myself.  So tempting, but needing a damn new dishwasher hurt some funds.  Boo :(.

Yay for the kitty eating and acting more like herself!  I hope for the very best!!!

post-31999-sleeping-baby-panda-cub-gif-t

Roscoe and Luna had a fantastic time playing with you! :D

Hey, don't sell yourself short. There's a lot to be said for keeping calm and carrying on, even if it doesn't end up as pretty as you want.

I'm sorry you got so much thrown on you all at once. Between kitty and your sister's troubles, I imagine that you're probably at least a touch on the distracted side of things. Totally understandable.

So you got knocked down the past couple of weeks. You're not out yet, though.

• Like 2

DAYS 029 - 030

6fc69d2924ea5a5c0952b7bf3171a52e.jpg

When it rains, it pours, man. Yesterday was an okay day, although Shark Week started suddenly and unexpectedly (seriously, Sherri, this is why you track this shit - this literally should not have been a surprise, you dummy), which led to me eating an entire carton of Haagan Daaz ice cream - partly at the table with stars after she got back from Urgent Care after slicing her damn finger open on her Veggetti maker (I knew veggies just wanted your blood), and partly on the couch while watching Tiger & Bunny with sick kitty sleeping and purring in my lap. Got the internet back up and running, which was nice. Work was okay - got a lot done, which was good, and my boss was supposed to be coming out today, so I was gearing up to deal with that (it's always hectic when she's in town). 

Except that her mother-in-law passed away this morning, so, for very obvious reasons, she isn't coming.

Work today is nice and quiet, which is good, because I can't really focus on much of anything today for some reason. Did manage to go to the gym today, but since Zumba was cancelled (booooooooo), stars and I went to the Cardio Core class taught by my former trainer. Memo to me, memo to me: do not do this class on day 2 of Shark Week. Your body will not thank you. Ugh. The plans for tonight are going to the chiro (stars has an appointment today), then head home. While she's at aerial, I will make pizza for myself and chicken for her so she can nom when she gets home. I will either play Kingdom Hearts or, idk, read or something. But quiet time will be had or I may end up murdering someone. 

CARD 001 [THE FIGHT] 0/60 minutes thus far. Welp. It's only Tuesday, right??? I'll totally get this done!

CARD 002 [THE POWER] 1/3 workouts so far. My uterus does not thank me. (Also, uterus, you're not anywhere near my damn core so whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy are you killing me???)

CARD 003 [THE DASH] 0/2 outdoor runs. Got one planned for Saturday (Color Me Rad! Yasssssssss) and will probably try to run the hill at work at some point this week. We'll see how my body feels after 45 minutes with Rob....

CARD 004 [THE SWEET] 0/1 baking adventures. Weekend quest! Not sure what I'm making this week, though. Might try my hand at cake - maybe chocolate? Or maybe just plain white cake. Or hell, maybe I'll just make rice krispie treats.

BONUS CARD [THE MINI] Got in 8 hours of sleep last night. I'mma love me this mini. :D I can sleep all day.

• Like 1

Hey, don't sell yourself short. There's a lot to be said for keeping calm and carrying on, even if it doesn't end up as pretty as you want.

I'm sorry you got so much thrown on you all at once. Between kitty and your sister's troubles, I imagine that you're probably at least a touch on the distracted side of things. Totally understandable.

So you got knocked down the past couple of weeks. You're not out yet, though.

Not necessarily selling myself short - I still managed to get through most of my goals, and let's be real - this video goal? Is a challenge no matter what. XD 

Thanks. ♥ Both kitty and sister are doing well, so that's good. Still a bit distracted because thoughts are what they are, but I'm plugging along.

Nope! Not yet. And not at all, if I can help it.

DAYS 031 - 035

giphy.gif

Lots of trying to catch up, such is my life. At any rate, work started to calm down last week, and our gym is holding a kickball contest during Week 6, so I'll be participating in that. :) Went to Cardio Core on Thursday, which was murder. I'm reminded of why I avoided going to my old trainer's classes. Owwwie. In other fitness news, went to bjj on Wednesday and had a race on Saturday (more on that below).

This weekend was a nice, relaxing weekend. Lots of sitting at home, watching anime with the wife, and reading. I've realized that I haven't really read a whole lot as of late, and that makes me sad. I've got a GoodReads goal to read 100 books this year - I'm at 6 books (I finished book 6 on Sunday). Which means I have 94 more to go in the last half of the year if I'm going to try to make it. If I still worked at BN, I'd say I have this in the bag - I regularly read 200+ books/year easy when I was in a bookstore 5 days a week. So, book recs are highly recommended! Also, if you're on GR and want to be friends, I'm right here, so come say hi! :D

Outside of that, was supposed to have my workout date with S on Sunday, but she flaked (surprise, surprise), so I went onto YouTube and did a FitnessBlender workout. Which was my first one. It was... interesting. I'm not a big fan of time-based reps - I prefer a set number of reps to complete - but I got through it. Will likely put S through it if she shows up next week. :D 

CARD 001 [THE FIGHT] 2/60 minutes thus far. Nope. I don't know why this damn quest is so friggin' hard for me??? Like, I'm at a computer for 8hrs a day. Why? (Because I'm lazy and watching bjj isn't as fun as doing bjj.)

CARD 002 [THE POWER] 3/3 workouts so far. Cardio Core and FitnessBlender. My body is crying.

CARD 003 [THE DASH] 2/2 outdoor runs. Sunday was a nice, leisurely 1.5M run around my neighborhood. I even made decent time (~17 minutes). Only got one weird look from some guy who seemed to be wondering why I was running. There are a lot of runners in my neighborhood (yay!), but they're all mostly men. I haven't seen a single woman running. Probably why he looked so confused... Anyway, Saturday's run was Color Me Rad!

RACREPORT!!!!!

10400039_827085157344041_23606895030641811703061_993568624029026_722627964408577

Picture on the left 2014, right 2015

COLOR ME RAD! Now, this was the very first race I'd signed up for and ran when I first started running last year. My trainer at the time told me to sign up for something fun, and I'd looked around, and found this. I'd had so much fun last year, so it's no surprise that I wanted to do it again. 

This race was in Highlands Ranch, which was a good 40-45 minute drive from home, and since I needed to pick up my packet, I got there early. Like, super early. They hadn't even inflated the starting line early. Fortunately, this meant a great parking space and no line to grab my bib and swag. (Swag this year? Way better than last year. WE GOT SOCKS! I love socks!) Vicki found me while I was wandering around, so we went and dropped our swag off at our cars, and then got pre-race massages since there was a chiro's office offering them. Mmmm. Pre-race massages. (Only not really, because I hate people touching me, and massages hurt, but my shoulders felt better after, so I consider this a success.)

The race itself was nice and easy. I ran/walked (I'm starting to wonder if maybe the problem isn't me being out of shape, because I easily ran my 1.5M on Sunday without stopping, but if it's the heat? I've never actually run in summer, so), but only had to stop to walk 3 times, I think? And the last part of the walking was up some stairs and over a bridge because I had almost tripped running it at the beginning. The course was, surprise, surprise, a bit muddy. Not too bad after the first stretch, but still. There was definitely more color this year, although they introduced something called color gel. The first part of the race, I managed to avoid it. 

Not so lucky the second half.

The color gel was cold and sticky and was really uncomfortable. It did not make me happy. I much prefer the colored cornstarch that they used last year, and used at certain stages this year. Aside from this, though, it was super fun. Timewise, I finished in ~36 minutes, so while that's 3 minutes over my PR, that's still not bad. All in all, 10/10 will run next year. :D

CARD 004 [THE SWEET] 1/1 baking adventures. Made cheesecake again. Regular and chocolate. Used the same recipe as the apricot cheesecake bars, although I made a bit too much crust, and used a little too little butter. Not that big of a deal, really - just crumbly graham cracker crust. I modified 3/4 of the cheesecake and added some cocoa powder and melted chocolate. Cocoa powder - good. Melted chocolate - not so much. It changed the texture, made it a little harder. From what my taste testers have said, it was still good, but next time, I'll stick with cocoa powder.

20150712_184552_zpsfdaxyvvq.jpg

BONUS CARD [THE MINI] Got in 8 hours of sleep every night! :D (I love sleep.)

• Like 2

WEEK 005

tumblr_inline_msucylXnJQ1qei1xr.gif

I'm really just not keeping up this challenge.......

CARD 001 [THE FIGHT] Watch 60mins of jiu jitsu technique videos

VERDICT: F! I got in 2 minutes this week?? I mean. Ugh.

CARD 002 [THE POWER] Do three core workouts a week

VERDICT: A! 3/3 Definitely starting to feel a difference in my core. Not so much seeing it.

CARD 003 [THE DASH] Run outside 2x a week (races are included)

VERDICT: A! 2/2 outdoor runs. One race, one outdoor run.

CARD 004 [THE SWEET] Bake something once a week and post a picture

VERDICT: A! 1/1 baking adventures. Definitely need to tweak the chocolate recipe.

BONUS CARD [THE MINI] Smash Bros: SANDMAN

VERDICT: A! Easy peasy. I love sleep. 

WEEK 005 GRADE: B!

This video quest is really killing me, guys. Ugh.

• Like 1

I pretty much use fitness blender for...well all of my nonkickboxing at Easton workouts :D.  For most of their weight training stuff, they do reps instead of time based.  It's for their bodyweight work where they do pretty much all time (though there is one strength+balancing low impact workout where it is rep based and all body weight).  When it comes to using weights, I definitely prefer the reps versus timed sets, but for HIIT and body weight stuff, I lean towards the time based sets.  Which workout did ya do? :D

Mmmm cheesecake!  And DAMN!  Why are the races you do in my neck of the woods when I'M NOT THERE.  Boo :P  Missed ya guys!

Sounds like a overall successful week challenge wise and very busy week in general!  Wowzers. 

Awesome on the sleeping mini too!  I love sleep...I wish this week I was getting better sleep *sigh* ah well.

DAYS 036 - 038

tumblr_lzr46p0dAC1qdippyo1_500.gif

I've been lax on this updating thing. Alas. Mostly, when I'm at work, I've been trying to keep everything in order (ugh escalations, ugh projects). Which isn't so bad - I don't mind the work, but I've just got so much of it that I'm burning out. I may need to bring that up with my boss, because this is just... ridiculous. I'm exhausted. 

Outside of workload, this week has also been the kickball tournament. I ended up joining a team with one of the guys that I sometimes play basketball with. Which also has one of the guys I worked with during my second rotation last year. And fit dude from the gym. It's kind of funny because we're short a person. The teams have to have at least 3 girls and 4 guys. We have two girls. So we're playing at a disadvantage. Buuuuuuuuuuut we're undefeated. :D And I get otter pops after every game!

Tuesday's game was kind of funny, though. So, we're playing in the parking lot, and there are trees lining the sides. One of these trees has really long, sharp spikes on the branches. On Monday, fit dude ran into the tree trying to catch the hit (he caught it). Well, on Tuesday, one guy on the opposing team attempted the same thing (he didn't catch it). Except where fit dude came away with a minor scrape, this other dude came away with a huge wound, blood dripping everywhere. He continued playing (what a trooper!), only to get hit in the shoulder with a stray kick, which nearly dislocated his shoulder. Still, he continued to play. Only to end up in Urgent Care after the game because a piece of the tree had embedded itself into his arm.

Kickball is serious business, ya'll.

CARD 001 [THE FIGHT] 0/60 minutes thus far. Maybe I should just give up...

CARD 002 [THE POWER] 2/3 workouts so far. Have been tossing in some core stuff (this week has been kind of skewed because of kickball), but fortunately, bjj has my back. Lots of core work this week because we're working closed guard. My core is definitely feeling it. 

CARD 003 [THE DASH] 0/2 outdoor runs. Race on Saturday. May try for a run on Friday. If not, definitely another Sunday run.

CARD 004 [THE SWEET] 0/1 baking adventures. Weekend quest! I think I'm going to make salted caramel chocolate chip cookies this go around. We'll see.

BONUS CARD [THE MINI] I don't see a mini for this week??

• Like 2

Also, also, also? Tuesday was my Fitniversary. On July 14, 2014, I started actively tracking my food, and getting in at least 3 workouts a week. I started out at 220lbs, and now I'm 155lbs. :D Woo!

• Like 3

CAKE!!!

OH OH!!!!  CHOCOLATE!!!!

giphy.gifgiphy.gif200px-0,341,19,190-Chocolate_cake.gif

OR WHITE CAKE?!!

img_3487_1090.jpg1033249144001_2034127247001_900944612-18

Maybe a Tuxedo cake?!

1100148.jpg2990991.jpg

AND YAAYYYY!!!! RICE KRISPIES!!!!!

3924615131_8a57d2329e_o.jpg

QDHIEIl.gif

lol One day, I'll end up making cake. But probably not until we have another party because I can't have it sitting around........................................

I love sleep too. I wish I'd get more of it.

Sleep is amazing.

I pretty much use fitness blender for...well all of my nonkickboxing at Easton workouts :D.  For most of their weight training stuff, they do reps instead of time based.  It's for their bodyweight work where they do pretty much all time (though there is one strength+balancing low impact workout where it is rep based and all body weight).  When it comes to using weights, I definitely prefer the reps versus timed sets, but for HIIT and body weight stuff, I lean towards the time based sets.  Which workout did ya do? :D

Mmmm cheesecake!  And DAMN!  Why are the races you do in my neck of the woods when I'M NOT THERE.  Boo :tongue:  Missed ya guys!

Sounds like a overall successful week challenge wise and very busy week in general!  Wowzers. 

Awesome on the sleeping mini too!  I love sleep...I wish this week I was getting better sleep *sigh* ah well.

I did a core workout. Don't remember which one, though.

hahahaha Yeah, well... Maybe next time??

Life is busy. This makes me unhappy. :(

• Like 1