• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

stillskies

stillskies is the next master of the clow

Geez, sounds like Shaolin Kickball or something, the way you talk about it.

Anyway, you've been through a lot this past week. Lots of running and general busy-ness. You can totally make that 100-book goal, though. Just find some short stuff on Amazon and trawl through it. That should do you. :)

Also, heat is a legit obstacle. I'm struggling with it now. Like, it doesn't matter how well-conditioned I am - everything's heavier and by the time I'm done doing whatever it is, I'm done. I could totally see running distances that you accomplish in cooler weather being tons harder in warmer weather.

DAYS 039 - 042

this-series-looks-gorgeous.gif

The end of the week was nice and light at work, at least. Hoping that's the start of a new trend, but I doubt. Boss goes on PTO in two weeks, and she'll be gone for three, so. Alas. We won Thursday's kickball game (yay!), and championship game is on Monday. :D Totally going to kick ass and be undefeated. WE WILL WIN THAT HAPPY HOUR!

Outside of work, I've read a grand total of four books in like, four days. Went to Barnes and Noble on Saturday after my race and bought a few more books. :D I really miss just pounding out a book a day, and getting back into the groove of it makes me happy. I definitely missed reading, not even going to lie. I've been more cognizant of writing reviews on Goodreads (or trying to), so we'll see if I can keep that up. I'm going to try really, really hard to hit that 100 book goal by the end of the year and to empty out my to-read shelf (there are ~70 books on that shelf on Goodreads, dear Bob). I wanted to go see Antman last weekend, but that didn't happen due to laziness, so maybe this upcoming week. 

S did make it over on Sunday for her workout. I'm sure she wants to murder me. I told her for every week she skips, I'm going to make the workouts harder. I'm dooming myself, as well, but I don't think she quite realizes that to see results, she has to keep working and monitoring her food. I set up her MFP a little while ago, but I'm not even sure if she's been using it. Alas.

CARD 001 [THE FIGHT] 0/60 minutes thus far. #nope

CARD 002 [THE POWER] 4/3 workouts so far. Got some core in on Friday and Sunday. On the upside, I can definitely feel my core. On the downside, I can definitely feel my core. 

CARD 003 [THE DASH] 2/2 outdoor runs. Ran outside at work on Thursday (to get to the kickball game, but it was more than a quarter mile, so I'm counting it), and had the Bubble Run on Saturday. 

RACREPORT!!!!!

So, the Bubble Run was held in Denver. Let me start this off by talking about the pre-race experience. To sign up, it was $20. I was like, hell yeah, cheap! Then we got an e-mail a week or so prior to the race saying that packet pick up was the Thursday and Friday before in Glendale (which is about a 45 minute drive from home, more like an hour in traffic). Figuring I could pick up at the race, I kept reading. Only to find out that if I wanted to pick up at the race? I'd have to pay $5 cash. Um, no.

So, starsapart and I went to Glendale after work on Friday to grab my packet and a friend of ours' packet. We got there with 5 minutes to spare since they were closing down at 6pm. Except the e-mail said that they'd be there until 7pm. Needless to say, we passed some really pissed people who got there after six who then had to pay $5 at the race to get their packet.

Packet thus received, I remembered that parking was $10. Cash. So I made a note to get up early to pull out some cash. Only to then park in a small shopping center a mile or so away to avoid the parking fiasco that was the race (seriously - it was bad). Therefore, I saved myself $15 by trudging an hour away from home to get my packet and by trudging a mile to get to the start line.

Now, for the race itself. Apparently, this is a popular race because there were 11,000 people there for it. The course itself had bubble 'bogs' every kilometer, which was cool. In fact, this race would have been pretty damn awesome if it weren't for the course itself. The course was a mix of cement and trail, which was nice. Except that the trails were narrow. Like, super narrow. Vicki and I managed to dodge people and run the first 3K, but once we hit the slight dirt hill that wound up to a narrow path with a loping drop on either side, we gave up the ghost. There was no way to pass. There was precious little opportunity to duck through people. And the few times we did pass through people (who walked four or five abreast rather than sticking to the right side like you're supposed to when you walk), I got dirty looks and a few angry mutters. So, we walked most of the last 2K, although we did get to run to the finish line since it was wide open lawn. 

On the upside, this was a super cheap race, but there were so many downsides that I'm not sure if I would do this one again next year. I would be totally okay with them raising the price $5 so that I could pick up at the race without having to pay extra - I don't carry cash or cards with me to races; I bring the essentials (phone, car key, headphones). They need a different course, or, barring that, a better wave system. The 'waves' that they utilized were just letting random groups go every twenty seconds. If they had pacing waves, that would have solved some problems. Let the walkers go last, and those of us who are there to run go first.

I had fun, but it was blighted by being annoyed as all get out.

CARD 004 [THE SWEET] 1/1 baking adventures. Tried to make cheesy garlic breadsticks, but didn't use enough yeast (sigh), so went with Funfetti cupcakes instead.

20150719_182007_zpsi6f9i2zx.jpg

BONUS CARD [THE MINI] I didn't see one, so....

• Like 1

WEEK 006

giphy.gif

So burned out. So. Burned. Out.

CARD 001 [THE FIGHT] Watch 60mins of jiu jitsu technique videos

VERDICT: F! Didn't even get a minute in this week. Although I did get in two days on the mat, so.

CARD 002 [THE POWER] Do three core workouts a week

VERDICT: A! 4/3 Core workouts are becoming second nature to me. Woo!

CARD 003 [THE DASH] Run outside 2x a week (races are included)

VERDICT: A! 2/2 outdoor runs. One race, one (super short) outdoor run. Plus all the kickball!

CARD 004 [THE SWEET] Bake something once a week and post a picture

VERDICT: A! 1/1 baking adventures. Kind of phoned it in this time, but I never said it had to be from scratch, so.

BONUS CARD [THE MINI] Smash Bros: MISSING

VERDICT: N/A! Didn't see one this week.

WEEK 005 GRADE: B!

The video quest super duper killed me. 

• Like 1

tumblr_lnzwxndU3D1qlroiio1_500.gif

OVERALL CHALLENGE GRADEB

QUEST 1FIGHT (+3 WIS)

CHALLENGE Watch 60mins of jiu jitsu technique videos

VERDICTC! I'm being a little generous with my grading since I did make it two weeks, and two weeks had some viewing. But yeah, two weeks were complete failure, and I'm just not good about actually sitting down and watching videos even though I know that they would be helpful. Might reprise this quest next go around because I'm never going to get any better if I just wait for the instructors to go over my problem areas.

QUEST 2POWER (+2 STR, +2 DEX)

CHALLENGEDo three core workouts a week

VERDICTA! This wasn't even as much of a challenge as I had thought it would be. I can definitely tell that my core has gotten significantly stronger - things that used to be hard have gotten a little easier. They're not super easy, but enough that I can grit through it without needing to take many, if any, rest breaks. Definitely going to keep adding in core work because that's where the power in martial arts comes from, and I desperately need some sort of an advantage.

QUEST 3DASH (+3 STA, +2 CON)

CHALLENGERun outside 2x a week (races are included)

VERDICTA-! I only missed one run, which was a small miracle. :D Definitely need to get into a training mindset soonish since I've got the half looming, and I really want my stamina back. Stupid heat.

LIFE QUESTSWEET (+3 CHA)

CHALLENGEBake something once a week and post a picture

VERDICTA! Bam. Killed this challenge. :D Along with many people's waistlines, oops? Definitely going to keep baking. It's relaxing, and the house always smells delicious when I do. But I might ease off to a few times a month rather than weekly.... For everyone's sake.

Before pictures:

Didn't do for this challenge.

After pictures

Didn't do for this challenge.

Measurements:

Neck: Before 13.4" | After 13.3" | Total Loss: .1"

Chest: Before 36.1" | After 35.7 | Total Loss: .4"

Waist: Before 31.5" | After 31.7" | Total Gain: .2"

Hips: Before 39.5" | After 38.9 | Total Loss: .6"

Thigh: Before R: 24.2" | After 24.3" | Total Gain: .1" | Before L: 23.5" | After 23.5 | Total Loss: 0"

Calf: Before R: ?? | After ?? | Total Gain: ?? | Before L: ?? | After ?? | Total Loss: ??

Bicep: Before R: 11.5" | After 11.5" | Total Loss: 0" | Before L: 11.5" | After 11.5" | Total Loss: 0"

Weight: Before 155.9 | After 156.6 | Total Gain: .7lbs

Dress/pants size: Before 8 | After 8 | Total Loss: 0 size

I totally forgot to do pictures, or post starting measurements this go around. The 'starting' measurements for this go around are actually about a week in, but whatever. My weight has been fluctuating (I'm anywhere between 155.0 and 157.8 at this point), so I'm considering my weight loss complete. :D Still have some toning and recomp to do, and I need to get a handle back on my eating (why does stress make me hungry???), but at least that part of the journey is done for now. 

On that note, I'm so completely burned out on these challenges. Debating taking a break from the next one, or doing a different format kind of challenge. We'll see what I decide. For now, though? I'm going to stare at my computer screen until it's time to go to bjj. 

• Like 1

On that note, I'm so completely burned out on these challenges. Debating taking a break from the next one, or doing a different format kind of challenge. We'll see what I decide. For now, though? I'm going to stare at my computer screen until it's time to go to bjj. 

There's always the battle log option!

Or the grab bag as discussed. :)

Considering how cruddy life was, you did great.

• Like 2

Geez, sounds like Shaolin Kickball or something, the way you talk about it.

Anyway, you've been through a lot this past week. Lots of running and general busy-ness. You can totally make that 100-book goal, though. Just find some short stuff on Amazon and trawl through it. That should do you. :)

Also, heat is a legit obstacle. I'm struggling with it now. Like, it doesn't matter how well-conditioned I am - everything's heavier and by the time I'm done doing whatever it is, I'm done. I could totally see running distances that you accomplish in cooler weather being tons harder in warmer weather.

Shaolin kickball is an apt descriptor. We did take the championship (without bloodshed!) and found out there will be a dodgeball tournament next month. :D SHAOLIN DODGEBALL IS NEXT.

Busy busy busy. I can't wait until vacation, can't even lie. I'm hoping I can hit my 100 book goal. I'm only 91 books away from it now! XD

It is. And heat definitely screws with things. I just wish I had remembered that earlier in the challenge. Ugh.

You did fantastic on this challenge considering how hectic life was for you!  I also understand feeling burnt out too since man sometimes the challenges add another layer of difficulty to this game called LIFE.

Awesome work on the baking adventures!  Kinda inspired my current challenge to try my hand at healthy baked goods and smoothies :).  Also, if it's just the challenges, a battle log to help keep track of things is definitely an option too :D

Whatever you do next, I'm looking forward to it!

happy_hug_by_utena_psyche-d2yxq1l.jpg

Taking a break from challenges is a legit thing to do :) If you're not enjoying it, why continue doing it?

Yeah, but me and breaks usually means me and break ups, and that's not really the goal. XD Grab bag makes life a little easier and a lot less stressful, which I need.

You did fantastic on this challenge considering how hectic life was for you!  I also understand feeling burnt out too since man sometimes the challenges add another layer of difficulty to this game called LIFE.

Awesome work on the baking adventures!  Kinda inspired my current challenge to try my hand at healthy baked goods and smoothies :).  Also, if it's just the challenges, a battle log to help keep track of things is definitely an option too :D

Whatever you do next, I'm looking forward to it!

happy_hug_by_utena_psyche-d2yxq1l.jpg

♥

HIKARU AND MOKONA SO CUTE

Decided on a grab bag for the next challenge. Might as well. And yay for your new challenge! :D

• Like 1

I think you did great all things considered. Your only weak point was BJJ-study, and honestly that might have been a problem of being too ambitious. Telling yourself you've got to spend an hour on the thing just sounds painful, especially when you consider that so many of the videos you see on YouTube end up being short - like 2-5 minutes.

I know you've already posted up your next challenge, and I haven't seen it yet so I don't know if me spitballing here means anything useful, but from out here it almost seems like it would be more useful to just watch a video a day, maybe centered on an aspect of your game that you want to work on. I know that's what made a huge difference for me in terms of learning how to do certain moves better.

Also, that's awesome that you're working so hard to help another friend level up her life. That's cool. But be careful. You're already flirting with burnout as it is over here.

If you don't mind me offering a little advice, the big thing you've got to focus on with her is getting her to show up. Going tougher on her for every missed time is incredibly tempting, and I say that as someone who trains people once per week. But the reality is that she's only showing up once per week as it is. Arbitrarily going harder on her every time doesn't have a guaranteed ROI, especially since she's missing weeks. Consistent work is better than inconsistently intense work. If you plant the seed of work in her mind by getting her to show up every week, over time it will grow into its own desire to get better results.

It's frustratingly slow work, and I sympathize with you on that, but in my experience that's the better way to help people. It's your call though, of course.

Anyway, way to stick it out this challenge. It's been tough on you. But you're tough, so you do well. :)

I think you did great all things considered. Your only weak point was BJJ-study, and honestly that might have been a problem of being too ambitious. Telling yourself you've got to spend an hour on the thing just sounds painful, especially when you consider that so many of the videos you see on YouTube end up being short - like 2-5 minutes.

I know you've already posted up your next challenge, and I haven't seen it yet so I don't know if me spitballing here means anything useful, but from out here it almost seems like it would be more useful to just watch a video a day, maybe centered on an aspect of your game that you want to work on. I know that's what made a huge difference for me in terms of learning how to do certain moves better.

Also, that's awesome that you're working so hard to help another friend level up her life. That's cool. But be careful. You're already flirting with burnout as it is over here.

If you don't mind me offering a little advice, the big thing you've got to focus on with her is getting her to show up. Going tougher on her for every missed time is incredibly tempting, and I say that as someone who trains people once per week. But the reality is that she's only showing up once per week as it is. Arbitrarily going harder on her every time doesn't have a guaranteed ROI, especially since she's missing weeks. Consistent work is better than inconsistently intense work. If you plant the seed of work in her mind by getting her to show up every week, over time it will grow into its own desire to get better results.

It's frustratingly slow work, and I sympathize with you on that, but in my experience that's the better way to help people. It's your call though, of course.

Anyway, way to stick it out this challenge. It's been tough on you. But you're tough, so you do well. :)

The bjj study is a huge sore point for me. I find it much easier (and fun) to learn while doing. I understand the value of the videos, and I know that I need to watch them, but.... it's just boring. My original intent was to pick an area and watch a video a day (lots of bjj videos are 10-30 minutes long) and go from there. But I just... constantly found other things to do than watch them. It's something I'll likely revisit as a goal later, but since it's such a stress inducer right now, I'm going to skip it for the next challenge and instead try to get to class/randori more. May ask one of the coaches at the studio if they have any recommendations channel-wise, but I just... can't deal with it right now.

I think my biggest problem with the videos is that it is so easy to pull something or do something wrong, that I'm hesitant to try things I haven't been taught. Maybe I can do what I did when I first started - find videos of the moves and variants I learn in class that week. At least then I know what I need to do and can better understand what I'm seeing.

The thing with S is that she does do things on her own, but sporadically. I'm trying to get her to do more during the week (go for a run one day, do one of the body weight workouts we've done, something), but getting her motivated to do it on her own is a problem. Most of the time she flakes on me is because she's lazy, and I usually send her a workout to do, and she usually does it. I just... need to get her to establish a habit. Which is hard because I can't make her.

And yeah, I know doing harder things with her won't help. XD I was mostly joking with her, but by 'harder' I likely mean we'll add an extra set of something I know she's not a fan of (leg raises, burpees, planks). I'm not trying to kill her or make it so she doesn't want to work out, but I also know that she's like me - if I know something is going to get harder the more I miss it, then I stop missing it because I'm not interested in harder. But it could also make her decide #nope and she's done. But since I just texted her with her daily DID YOU WORK OUT??? text, and she responded with she'll do it tonight, I don't think I've scared her off.

Yet.

Advice is always welcome. I'm kind of shooting in the dark with what we do when she comes over on Sundays. (I'm kind of shooting in the dark on what I do on any given day anymore, as well.) Do you think it would be helpful to put together like a weekly workout plan for her? She doesn't have access to a gym, so everything we do is pretty much body weight or running.

Ah, aha. I see, re: the videos. Yeah, if you don't enjoy watching them, then it can be hard to make a point to do so. I don't think I would want to advocate for something you don't enjoy, so you can consider me shut up on that. :D

Aah, S is a better athlete than the ones I train. ^_^; My two tend to say that they will do things, but the truth is they do absolutely nothing for Reasons. They get benefit from working with me, and they know that they'd get more for more work, but it seems that the pain of weakness has yet to exceed the pain of work. I should have understood that better though, so, sorry about that.

Given that she's doing stuff on her own, you might be well-advised to put together a routine for her. If she's already doing stuff, then it makes sense for that stuff to work together and be better for her. Bodyweight and running can make a very good athlete. I've seen it.

Yup. It's a matter of boredom for me. Like I said, I recognize the importance of it (I got some good tips just on form when I did manage to watch some for this challenge), but.... I don't know. I just can't get into it.

Yeah, she'll do stuff on her own, the problem is just that it's sporadic. I know part of it is her laziness, but part of it is also a very unsupportive partner who thinks that she should be constantly paying attention to him rather than doing something for herself. That's a completely separate issue, but it's also part of why her own motivation is sporadic. It's really frustrating. That sucks about the two people you train. I always wonder why sign up for something if you're not going to put the work into it. Just seems like a waste of time and/or money. And I didn't explain it well, so no worries about not understanding. Can't understand what's not there. 

Thanks. :) I'll try to get a weekly plan going for her. I think it might help her in the long run. Once I can get her exercising regularly, then I can work on getting her to track her darn food. XD