• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BarefootDawsy

BarefootDawsy's 'We Kendo It!' Challenge

Greetings Rebels! 

Following on the back of a reasonably successful challenge in May, I've decided to step it up a notch and get my fitness back into gear. My main focus to help me push through the sloth and excuses is the thought of returning to Kendo.

I've been wanting to get back into it for most of the past year, after the stresses of life and conflicts with unavoidable events caused me to pause my illustrious Kendo career. When I watched the Kendo Workd Championship, last week, it re-galvanised me and I've been on a one-track Kendo trip ever since.

So, in preparation, I'm dedicating this challenge to getting fit and ready to get back into it. By the end of this challenge, I want to be all signed up, and starting back on a regular training schedule. I have several goals ready to help me get there:

EDIT: After speaking to my sensei, I have modified my goals for this challenge

1. Increase Base Fitness: Being a programmer, I lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle; I sit for most of the day. I need to ramp my basic fitness level way up if I want to be able to hold my own in a shiai. So, to this end I'm going to be doing HIIT in various formats, including sword strikes, burpees, running, and squats - whatever moves me really. I'll be aiming to use a tabata-style 8 minute workout to really nail myself. I'm going to test my fitness before and after with a 7 minute burpee AMRAP (I haven't forgotten, @Endor). For desert, I've got my kettlebells out, so I can do some swings and holds, though I won't be tracking these.

Following on from advice given by my sensei, I have laid out a more specific training schedule to help me get ready for Kendo. It overlaps quite a bit what I had in mind already. I'm aiming to do at least 4 of these exercises per week, with the number of reps being AMRAP to failure and a minimum of the week number of the challenge:

Exercise 1: 10 pushups,  10 squat jumps
    Exercise 2: 10 Men Uchi, 10 Kote Uchi, 10 Dou Uchi  
    Exercise 3: 10 kettlebell lifts, 10 kettlebell swings
    Exercise 4: 10 Shomen Suburi, 10 Yoko Men Suburi 
    Exercise 5:  5 burpees, 6 sprints      

2. Gear: One area I neglected early-on is care and feeding of my equipment. For this goal, I want to master the terminology of every bit of kit I have, Make sure all of my knots are Japan-perfect, and be able to assemble and disassemble my shinai without needing to look it up. I've recently purchased Kendo: A Comprehensive Guide to Japanese Swordsman, which seems like an excellent resource for this sort of thing. Oh, and I also want to built a shinai maintenance kit to help me with this (and so I can make a trip to Bunnings - yay!)
  3. Lifting: I spent my last challenge getting back into lifting, and really enjoyed it. I plan to keep up going to the gym, at least once per week, and get my form down pat for squats, deadlifts, bench press and overhead press. I'd also like to beat my PB in all of these, though this will be a bonus, and not my main focus.

Bonus Goal:

1. This afternoon, I was honoured by receiving one of the coveted 'Rebel Hero' t-shirts. In recognition of this, I've tracked down (part of) one of my very first challenges. This was back before I ran my first 5k, and well before I took my shoes off to do one. So, for this challenge, I will complete at least 1 5k run :)

I'm really looking forward to this challenge!

f8tLrui.jpg

• Like 5

Good to see you are back for another challenge :)

You have a tendency to DO ALL THE THINGS...partially...for a little while! I would have liked to see another challenge just focused on consistent gym attendance but we'll see how you go ;)

The accountability Bothans are watching you

bothans.jpg?w=970

P.S. I was SOOO stoked to get a Rebel Hero T today too, FKIN AWESOME!

Good to see you are back for another challenge :)

You have a tendency to DO ALL THE THINGS...partially...for a little while! I would have liked to see another challenge just focused on consistent gym attendance but we'll see how you go ;)

The accountability Bothans are watching you

bothans.jpg?w=970

P.S. I was SOOO stoked to get a Rebel Hero T today too, FKIN AWESOME!

'For a while', huh? My reputation precedes me... I'll have to change that perception, methinks.

Awesome that you got a shirt too! Congratulations mate, well deserved.

Now excuse me...I have a lot to do...

b50d009df24c253d1e3e52e6b4ccf5ec.jpg

• Like 1

Kendo!  I don't do it myself, but it's so tempting, every time I get the bokken out.

How often are you planning to do Tabata workouts?  I like a bit of HIIT, but I've never tried Tabata.

Of course you join the monks when I have an insect-phobia goal challenge.

It's wonderful, isn't it? I'm in the process of lining you up an internship here so you can meet the best insects...I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, expect pics and maybe videos...

Kendo! I don't do it myself, but it's so tempting, every time I get the bokken out.

How often are you planning to do Tabata workouts? I like a bit of HIIT, but I've never tried Tabata.

You should give it a try...there's lots of yelling and hitting. I highly recommend it :) As for tabata, I haven't done it for a while, but I've got an app on my phone with the intervals all preset, so I just ave to go hard when it tells me and stop when it tells me. All in all, it's 8 minutes of hell, but a great workout.

The Barefoot man himself. Wow. This is an honor.

Good to see you, man. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help out. :)

• Like 2

The Barefoot man himself. Wow. This is an honor.

Good to see you, man. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help out. :)

Thanks Kish, long time no see :) Hopefully I'll be hanging around a bit longer this time!
  • Like 1

Following along as per usual :)

I'm sure you're going to do great with Kishimoto and all the monks cheering you on :)

---

Also I know you aren't focussing on it this challenge, but following our last sydney meet up I thought I'd include the video that I found most helpful for my deadlift form

• Like 1

I always get excited when I see fellow monk programmers (Code Monkeys need to stick together after all) and kendo!  Holy crap that's awesome!  I like you increase base fitness goal, especially since we basically sit or stand in front of a monitor for at least 8 hours a day (more if you an internet/anime/digital-art junkie like me) so having that plan laid out (which includes HIIT I noticed.  I love HIIT) is really awesome :D.

300-tonight-we-do-hiit-sprints.jpg

Also, again, the Kendoing is awesome.  I need to look up some videos of it just due to interest cause I always found weapons training interesting and something neat to learn.  I'm following along!

TheYakuza-03-400-sg.gif

Following along as per usual :)

I'm sure you're going to do great with Kishimoto and all the monks cheering you on :)

---

Also I know you aren't focussing on it this challenge, but following our last sydney meet up I thought I'd include the video that I found most helpful for my deadlift form

Thanks mate :) I've been studying my Rippetoe as well. I think I figured out the problem with my form now...it's all about taking the time to get the steps right.

I always get excited when I see fellow monk programmers (Code Monkeys need to stick together after all) and kendo!  Holy crap that's awesome!  I like you increase base fitness goal, especially since we basically sit or stand in front of a monitor for at least 8 hours a day (more if you an internet/anime/digital-art junkie like me) so having that plan laid out (which includes HIIT I noticed.  I love HIIT) is really awesome :D.

Also, again, the Kendoing is awesome.  I need to look up some videos of it just due to interest cause I always found weapons training interesting and something neat to learn.  I'm following along!

Yay another programmer :D What sort of coding do you do? (I'm mostly C# at the moment). You've hit the nail on the head about the sitting all day. I was out doing an exam yesterday and it was located on the second floor. As I was climbing up, I realised that stairs have become a novelty for me..I go up like 1 flight per month (if that). Yep, working from home has its pitfalls!

• Like 1

So it's funny how things work out. I ended up running into my sensei yesterday. I told her that I was getting back into Kendo and she got all excited and gave me heaps of tips. We chatted about the upcoming challenge and she gave me a bit of advice on how best to prepare. So I've taken it on board and have modified my goals (see original post). The challenge hasn't started yet so I figure it's allowed.

Unfortunately, it means dropping the lifting for now. It's good to do, but with limited time, she thinks it's better to do more Kendo-specific exercises. I hate to do it, but I see the logic. I'm going to play with my schedule to see if I can slot it in elsewhere, but for the challenge I'm going to leave it. 

I've also gotten more specific with each exercise. I've changed from a tabata routine to a an AMRAP routine. I'll still get a good amount of conditioning from it, and will be able to focus more on making sure my technique is correct.

So yeah, funny how things work out. I'm taking it as a sign that I'm heading in the right direction, and am looking forward to next week. I'm going to use the US calendar for this challenge, and start on Tuesday, since Monday is a holiday here, and we'll be out most of the day. I'll finish a day late to make up for it. 

Yay another programmer :D What sort of coding do you do? (I'm mostly C# at the moment). You've hit the nail on the head about the sitting all day. I was out doing an exam yesterday and it was located on the second floor. As I was climbing up, I realised that stairs have become a novelty for me..I go up like 1 flight per month (if that). Yep, working from home has its pitfalls!

Currently, I'm working on several web applications, so Java, JavaScript, HTML, some CSS and JSP.  I might be doing C# and .NET development down the line, which should be an interesting and new experience for me!  I also have done a lot of C++ development and I hope the skill doesn't leave me too soon.

Hahah stairs.  I'm making a bit of a mission to use stairs at work instead of taking the elevator all the time.  A pretty damn small change compared to everything else I already do, but hey, nothing wrong with making it a habit (even though I end up getting winded.  Man stairs + high altitude is not a happy pair).

OH MY... FOR GALLIFREY!

DAWSY IS HERE!!!!

This guy is legendary, he's one of the ancient ones, he knew me BEFORE I was a monk. That's like being an Antediluvian Vampire. We're talking Lilith's age here!.

I'm gonna roll around the floor for a little bit, 'K?

• Like 2

OH MY... FOR GALLIFREY!

DAWSY IS HERE!!!!

This guy is legendary, he's one of the ancient ones, he knew me BEFORE I was a monk. That's like being an Antediluvian Vampire. We're talking Lilith's age here!.

I'm gonna roll around the floor for a little bit, 'K?

Oh go on, you ol' scarecrow, you. 

Feels good to be back mate!

By the way, I found this photo of you and your friends online....

n4fd639542f0ad.jpg

• Like 1

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHA The old gang...

YOU SEE!? THIS GUY KNEW ME BEFORE I WAS THE SHOGUN!!! Hahahahah I'm gonna have so much fun this challenge with you here. 

• Like 2

I have the house to myself today, so I took advantage of the quite to grunat and groan my way through my 7 minute burpee AMRAP benchmark. I came in at a nerdy 42 burpees. It's not the score I wanted, but the one I deserved ;)

I think there's plenty of room for improvement. and am looking forward to seeing how I go at the end of the challenge, when I face off against @Endor and the other power rangers.

Power+rangers+so+how+about+the+new+trail

• Like 2

Ah, yeah, the AMRAP challenge. I'm thinking about throwing my hat in the ring just to see how many Rangers beat me. :)

Power+rangers+so+how+about+the+new+trail

I...I just...this is making me giggle way too much...

xFCc4.gif

Also, I am slightly terrified and in awe of this duo you and Kishi are creating.  I am expecting an awesome fusion!

goku_and_vegeta_baka_fusion_dance_ssj4_b

• Like 3

Turns out I managed to find some time this morning to get my first training set in afterall (thanks, early-rising kids!). 

I decided to start off the challenge with some of my favourite exercises - kettlebell overhead lifts and swings. I'm using my 12kg kettlebell to begin with, but I'm hoping to step up to 15kg before the end of the challenge.

So here we go, the inaugural numbers:

Swings: 5 x 10 @ 12kg

Lifts: 5 x 10 @ 12kg

It's funny, it doesn't sound like a lot of weight, but I definitely feel the burn in some of the muscles I haven't used for a while. I'm hoping these exercises will benefit my Kendo. The lifts are a similar motion to striking with a shinai, so hopefully the shinai will start to feel lighter as I progress; the swings are going to nail my hip flexors and glutes, which should help with fumikomi (explosive step). 

Feeling pumped for this challenge.

• Like 2