• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BarefootDawsy

BarefootDawsy's 'We Kendo It!' Challenge

I would imagine that kettlebells would actually help you a lot, given that you're doing sword fighting and working in the same ranges as you'd fight in. Kettlebells seem to do a great deal to help martial artists get strong in their movements.

• Like 2

I would imagine that kettlebells would actually help you a lot, given that you're doing sword fighting and working in the same ranges as you'd fight in. Kettlebells seem to do a great deal to help martial artists get strong in their movements.

That's what I'm hoping too. There seems to be a real anti-cross training bias in the Kendo community, so it's surprisingly difficult to find resources for this sort of stuff. I've ended up borrowing from some classic fencing and HEMA routines to come up with something that might help. Fingers crossed it pays off.

Ah, yeah, the AMRAP challenge. I'm thinking about throwing my hat in the ring just to see how many Rangers beat me. :)

This made me think of the commandant in police academy saying "many, many, many, many etc." in his speech but I couldn't find that clip so here's another one instead, classic comedy from my childhood when jokes were a little more innocent :)

• Like 1

I have the house to myself today, so I took advantage of the quite to grunat and groan my way through my 7 minute burpee AMRAP benchmark. I came in at a nerdy 42 burpees. It's not the score I wanted, but the one I deserved ;)

I think there's plenty of room for improvement. and am looking forward to seeing how I go at the end of the challenge, when I face off against @Endor and the other power rangers.

Don't run yourself down big fella, 420 is really good, oh wait...

Lol I originally linked to the wrong image....clipboard issues :) Still sorta works though!

The dude is way better IMO :) I re-watched this a couple weeks ago, it popped up on Netflix and my wife had never seen it! So cool when you find a great old movie like that which someone hasn't seen, I enjoyed it all the more seeing her enjoy it for the first time, if that makes sense!

The dude abides!

2-The-Big-Lebowski-quotes.gif

KENDO!

It was one of the arts I was looking into a while back when I wanted to restart my martial arts life.  Subbing for the awesomeness of shinai.

When I watched the Kendo Workd Championship, last week, it re-galvanised me and I've been on a one-track Kendo trip ever since.

I read this fast and thought you said you where there.

Also, the Kendo World Championship was held in the Budokan as well, and I saw posters for it everywhere while the Aikdio demonstration was going on. (Or I would have, if I had looked anywhere other than the mats with all the aikidoka.)

2249.06-42nd-Anniversary-Dont-Panic.jpg

No word of a lie, when I go into a locker room I always search for lockers with 42. 

Also, I had a small hand towel that was stitched with "Don't Panic" on it.  I sadly lost it in Kyoto after I took it to the dojo to use as a shower towel after class. :(

• Like 2

KENDO!

It was one of the arts I was looking into a while back when I wanted to restart my martial arts life.  Subbing for the awesomeness of shinai.

I read this fast and thought you said you where there.

Also, the Kendo World Championship was held in the Budokan as well, and I saw posters for it everywhere while the Aikdio demonstration was going on. (Or I would have, if I had looked anywhere other than the mats with all the aikidoka.)

No word of a lie, when I go into a locker room I always search for lockers with 42. 

Also, I had a small hand towel that was stitched with "Don't Panic" on it.  I sadly lost it in Kyoto after I took it to the dojo to use as a shower towel after class. :(

It's funny, Aikido was what I was originally hoping to get into, but there were no dojos near me. I'm very jealous that you got to Japan to practice/demonstrate! I'd love to do that. Subbed your thread as well :D

• Like 2

Day 2:

2 days in a row! We officially have a streak :)

I managed to get outside for a bit of suburi this morning. it's the first time I've properly swung my shinai repeatedly for quite some time, and judging by the soreness in my wrist and shoulder, it's a good thing I decided to practice a bit before rejoining the dojo.

That being said, I'm pleased with my strikes, and it's all coming back to me now.

I managed the following:

5 x 10 Men (head) strikes 

5 x 10 Kote (wrist) strikes 

5 x 10 Dou (side) strikes 

giphy.gif

It feels good to put the kote on again and get a-wackin'!

In other news, I started putting together a shinai maintenance kit. I've got a case, some sandpaper, and a pair of needlenose pliers. Just need to track down my swiss army knife and I think I've got it covered. I also read up on counterattacking in my Kendo guide. I'm still a little way off practicing those techniques, and will need a partner, but I'm finding the visualisation useful.

Off to a good start :D

• Like 1

There's just something uniquely satisfying about swinging and hitting something. You just don't get it anywhere else.

• Like 3

There's just something uniquely satisfying about swinging and hitting something. You just don't get it anywhere else.

There really is. I've got all the bits and pieces to make a Kendo dummy for just this purpose...I was thinking of adding it to my list of things to do this challenge...maybe if I have the time. We'll see...

Loving your enthusiasm and ken-do attitude :encouragement:

dbdc51ff714bcc4adcf645a9498a45856eb1b299

• Like 1

There's just something uniquely satisfying about swinging and hitting something

*childish snigger*

• Like 1

giphy.gif

This is the awesomeness I was referring to.

And now I really am going to have to fight starting Iaido.  Because swords. (One guy on my Japan trip who started roughly the same time as me in aikido has taken up iaido, and kept bugging me to join it.  I'm sorely tempted.)

Loving your enthusiasm and ken-do attitude :encouragement:

Puns.  We can never have enough puns in this Guild.

• Like 1

Definitely off to a good start!  I'm glad that everything is coming back and I have to agree with RisenPhoenix; that just looks awesome and I'm sorely tempted to look up a Kendo place around where I'm at.  So many awesome things to true!!

dbdc51ff714bcc4adcf645a9498a45856eb1b299

847999.gif

Oh man! A Kendo guy!

Makes me want to go back to the dojo I was at again! Maybe I can get around the schedule this time... I had to quit because my lab schedules often conflicted with my dojo times. I couldn't justify going to the more intense dueling session on Sunday if I didn't have enough practice with the technique in the weekday evening.

I'll be following this and see how you set up your times so I can probably emulate what you're doing to get more practice in when I'm out of class.

This is the awesomeness I was referring to.

And now I really am going to have to fight starting Iaido.  Because swords. (One guy on my Japan trip who started roughly the same time as me in aikido has taken up iaido, and kept bugging me to join it.  I'm sorely tempted.)

Puns.  We can never have enough puns in this Guild.

Yes! Because Swords is right. One of my long term goals, once I've got my Kendo Shodan is to take up Iaido...it just looks so cool, and I want a proper sword ;)

Definitely off to a good start!  I'm glad that everything is coming back and I have to agree with RisenPhoenix; that just looks awesome and I'm sorely tempted to look up a Kendo place around where I'm at.  So many awesome things to true!!

847999.gif

Yes Yes! Moar Kendo!!! Funny you should put a RR gif up..I was this || close to doing a Deadpool-themed challenge this time 'round...

DeadpoolThumbsUp.jpg

Oh man! A Kendo guy!

Makes me want to go back to the dojo I was at again! Maybe I can get around the schedule this time... I had to quit because my lab schedules often conflicted with my dojo times. I couldn't justify going to the more intense dueling session on Sunday if I didn't have enough practice with the technique in the weekday evening.

I'll be following this and see how you set up your times so I can probably emulate what you're doing to get more practice in when I'm out of class.

I have the same problem. My usual dojo's weekend sparring class is at midday on a Saturday...pretty much the worst possible time. I'm tempted to join the splinter group that does an early Sunday one instead. Maybe I'll join both...hmm. Actually, the Kendo association here's pretty decent...you pay one fee, and generally, you can move between dojos as much as you like. Pretty cool deal. It's like $250 per year and that covers all of your class time. The only bargain in Sydney :)

Pressure's on to set a good example ;)

• Like 1

Day 3 and I'm using up my rest day. It was crazy busy today with work, meetings and studying...last exam tomorrow thank goodness.

Anyhow, since you came here for an update you shall be rewarded with the following video.

Yes Yes! Moar Kendo!!! Funny you should put a RR gif up..I was this || close to doing a Deadpool-themed challenge this time 'round...

DeadpoolThumbsUp.jpg

Speaking of Deadpool....are you excited for the movie?

CarefulSadHumpbackwhale.gif

Cause I am.  02/12/2016 needs to be sooner....

Dammit, Japan, why are you teaching the robots martial arts? Don't you know they're going to use these skills on us when the robopocalypse happens?

Unless, the zombies come first and the robots are on our side.

In which case, that'll do, Japan. That'll do.

• Like 1

Speaking of Deadpool....are you excited for the movie?

CarefulSadHumpbackwhale.gif

Cause I am. 02/12/2016 needs to be sooner....

I always vowed never to see a Ryan Reynolds movie...we went to school together and he was a cock. However, from what I've seen of his Deadpool (we won't mention the appearance in Wolverine), he seems to be doing it justice and I'm very excited to see the film.
  • Like 1

Dammit, Japan, why are you teaching the robots martial arts? Don't you know they're going to use these skills on us when the robopocalypse happens?

Unless, the zombies come first and the robots are on our side.

In which case, that'll do, Japan. That'll do.

Yeah mixed emotions lol! I for one welcome our new robot overlords.
  • Like 1