• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BarefootDawsy

BarefootDawsy's 'We Kendo It!' Challenge

WTF?!

Glad you're back into it.

Learn much?

Yeah wtf indeed. We often get a shared suite, but this was the first time getting a twin room...odd. Still it was good. Got updated on where the company's at and got to drink some nice homebrew.

Good to be back!

Mm, be careful. Make sure that you're executing these techniques well. More is not always better when it comes to exercise.

Noted, thanks. I'm still using the lighter kettlebell so form is holding steady. It was either this or go heavier. I figure I'll do sets if 20 for the next couple weeks then drop back down to 10's with a higher weight.
  • Like 1

Yeah wtf indeed. We often get a shared suite, but this was the first time getting a twin room...odd. Still it was good. Got updated on where the company's at and got to drink some nice homebrew.

Good to be back!

Ah nice, did you get lucky with roomie having a supply of home brew?!

Note i deliberately left punctuation out there :s

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yep exactly that. He smuggled some brew over from NZ. Had a fresh hop ale and a couple tripels... Lovely!

Sounds nice. Well maybe a roomie is not so bad after all ;)

Next meetup Thurs 23 July? (between challenge rest week)

Think that will work...we'll be up the coast in July for a bit, but can't remember the dates...90% sure that I'll be around though...I'll check with the boss.

You still up for video games in the CBD?

Think that will work...we'll be up the coast in July for a bit, but can't remember the dates...90% sure that I'll be around though...I'll check with the boss.

You still up for video games in the CBD?

Yeah, games bar is a good plan.

Which bit of the coast? Anywhere near my bit?!

• Like 1

Small workout today as I've been flat-out all day, and it's been teeming down, so the expected swordwork had to be put off (stupid low ceilings).

Here's what I've done so far:

2 x 10 Squat Jumps

2 x 10 Pushups

This meets my minimum goal for the day, but I'll try to get more in later if I can. 

(Edit) Added:

20 x kettlebell lifts

20 x kettlebell swings

I've also been watching Redesign My Brain this week, which got me thinking about the mental component of endurance. As a result, I've decided to add in a test to see how I'm progressing mentally as well as physically. It's pretty simple. I'm going to hold my shinai in a one-handed chudan no kamae (ready position) and see how long I can maintain it.

It sounds pretty easy, but in Kendo, the shinai is held only with the thumb, pinky and ring fingers on the left hand. This allows for quick, snappy movements, but can make holding it for a long time, arduous.

I benchmarked my times for this this afternoon:

• Left hand: 3 minutes, 10 seconds
  • Right hand: 4 minutes even

I thought I would do better, but it gives me something to build on. I'm going to do this once a week and see how things go.

XVX4aYy.jpg

On a side note, being in Australia sucks when it comes to shipping...just tried to order a $20 shinai bag...shipping? $65. 

...searches threads for someone doing a sewing/shipping challenge...

Never underestimate endurance challenges. :D Also, that sounds like a great sport-specific way to test yourself and see if you're getting the adaptations you want.

So how you gonna do it, then? Are you going to let your left side catch up or are you going to just progress as it is?

Never underestimate endurance challenges. :D Also, that sounds like a great sport-specific way to test yourself and see if you're getting the adaptations you want.

So how you gonna do it, then? Are you going to let your left side catch up or are you going to just progress as it is?

That's a very good question. I'm a bit unsure of the best way to keep my training balanced. I do all of my non Kendo training in an even and balanced way, but Kendo is inherently uneven, due to the way the shinai is gripped and the footwork is done.

For now I think I'll press on as I currently am. It's actually good that it's my left side that's weaker, as this is the hand that supports the shinai, so it will naturally catch up. Once they've evened up, I might switch my training to include more dual handed (nito ryu) techniques, which is where I want to go anyways. I should have a fair way to go yet though.

• Like 1

Day...13? Sounds about right :)

9WbaVeD.gif

(stolen from BlackTezca)

Weather's still not that cooperative enough to let me go practice outside, so I've decided to take it inside for today, and did my suburi in seiza (kneeling). This lets me kill 2 birds with one stone: I get isolated upper-body strike practice, and get used to sitting in seiza, which I've always found challenging.

Here's what I did:

• 3 x 10 slow cuts
  • 3 x 10 fast cuts
  • 5 x 10 right hand cuts
  • 5 x 10 left hand cuts

I won't be able to do this sort of practice all the time, since footwork is really important, but it's a good compromise that lets me keep my upper body fighting fit. I'll be adding this as a rainy day routine I think.

Extra bonus: My boss has offered to chip in towards my membership fees, so I'll definitely be registering to re-start proper Kendo training in a dojo very soon - yay!

• Like 1

Oh and this week I'll start the learning portion of my challenge. I'm going to start with learning the Japanses part names for all the parts of my shinai. 

shinai_wp.gif

Once I've got these down pat, I'll work on taking it apart and reassembling it. I've put together a kit for this purpose, but still need to find a decent oil. Getting pretty tired of the shipping prices for kendo gear..everything seems to get sent via courier, which is crazy expensive. I'm looking into DIY shinai oil, but there's a lot of mixed advice out there for this sort of thing. Might have to get hold of my sensei and ask her...

• Like 2

On a side note, being in Australia sucks when it comes to shipping...just tried to order a $20 shinai bag...shipping? $65.

...searches threads for someone doing a sewing/shipping challenge...

Where from? I have a US mail forwarding thingy that might be cheaper.

Where from? I have a US mail forwarding thingy that might be cheaper.

Japan mostly, though there are a couple of US suppliers too...may have to take you up on that, thanks!

I'm thinking of holding out for a bit longer then maybe doing a large order and get some more stuff...I could use a bag, oil, a spare shinai, etc. Nothing urgent though, so I'm not too stressed.

Man, freaking seiza. We used to do that all the time in Judo. I hated it. Absolutely hated it. Mad props for practicing in it.

• Like 1

Man, freaking seiza. We used to do that all the time in Judo. I hated it. Absolutely hated it. Mad props for practicing in it.

^this

It's much easier on the carpet, but I still hate it. 

Japan mostly, though there are a couple of US suppliers too...may have to take you up on that, thanks!

I'm thinking of holding out for a bit longer then maybe doing a large order and get some more stuff...I could use a bag, oil, a spare shinai, etc. Nothing urgent though, so I'm not too stressed.

Link me the bag I'll see if I can get you a good deal, I love bargain hunting :)

Maybe look on Amazon Japan

• Like 1

Link me the bag I'll see if I can get you a good deal, I love bargain hunting :)

Maybe look on Amazon Japan

Thanks mate, I'll take any help I can get. The closest thing to what I want is something like this:

http://www.e-bogu.com/Green-Shinai-Bag-for-3-Shinais-p/hay-bag-shi-green3-.htm

Just a simple 3 shinai bag...it's $10, but shipping's ~$40. Happy for you to do my shopping for me if you're keen :D

I had a look on amazon Japan, but couldn't see anything...maybe I need to try searching with japanese characters?

Wow it's hard to find a Kendo bag in Australia, that's weird, can't be much of a market for it here, I guess Kendo is not that popular in Oz?

Anyway this seemed to be about the best option as far as price goes, no idea what the quality will be like:

From S.Korea for about $25 incl delivery

You know I'd almost be tempted to just find someone locally that would make one for you. Where do the other folk at the Dojo (?!) get theirs?

Edit:

Couple other options:

here

and here

and here as well

• Like 1

Wow it's hard to find a Kendo bag in Australia, that's weird, can't be much of a market for it here, I guess Kendo is not that popular in Oz?

Anyway this seemed to be about the best option as far as price goes, no idea what the quality will be like:

From S.Korea for about $25 incl delivery

You know I'd almost be tempted to just find someone locally that would make one for you. Where do the other folk at the Dojo (?!) get theirs?

Edit:

Couple other options:

here

and here

and here as well

Wow mate, I think you missed your calling... You could be a pro shopper. I think one of those could do the trick...the second one of your 3 bottom links looks ideal. Thanks heaps for tracking it down!

I was thinking of tracking down some fabric and a pattern, but I think you've saved me the hassle. Thanks!

Wow mate, I think you missed your calling... You could be a pro shopper. I think one of those could do the trick...the second one of your 3 bottom links looks ideal. Thanks heaps for tracking it down!

I was thinking of tracking down some fabric and a pattern, but I think you've saved me the hassle. Thanks!

No worries, can't believe how hard they are to find, you could almost buy a bunch of these add 25% and improve the search engine hits for easy money....

My next mission....GPU has failed in my PC...suddenly seem to be looking at building a whole new PC...!

Hmm martial arts equipment importer... I could think of worse businesses...otherwise get a sewing machine and knock them out for a few bucks a piece and charge full price...might have to look into this...lots of new kendoka starting each year...

Let me know if you need help building a PC...haven't done that in yonks!

• Like 1