• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BarefootDawsy

BarefootDawsy's 'We Kendo It!' Challenge

Got the swords out again today...even took the bokken out into the sun for a bit:

• 3 x 20 Kote cuts
  • 3 x 20 Men cuts
  • 3 x 20 Full cuts
  • 3 x 10 left hand Kote cuts
  • 3 x 10 right hand Kote cuts
  • 3 x 10 left hand Men cuts
  • 3 x 10 right hand Men cuts

= 60 + 60 + 60 + 30 + 30 + 30 + 30 = 300 Cuts! Happy with that :D

• Like 1

Halfway summary:

Really pleased with how things have been going so far:

Week 1 went perfectly and I feel like I found my stride.

Week 2 was interrupted by work stuff, but I still managed to stay pretty well on target.

Week 3 was steady and I feel ready to start training at the dojo again

I'm looking forward to my first session back next week.

I've been doing a big clean out at home today and found my old jump rope...had a go and managed 100 jumps before realising that both my ankles and cardio fitness need some significant improving. I'm considering adding in daily jump roping to the existing routine.

Bring on week 4!

• Like 1

Love the motivation just screaming on your thread!!

Go get those jumps!!

Thanks :) I'm really liking the jump rope idea. I'm officially adding it to my daily routine. From today, I'm going to add 10 jumps per day, until the end of the challenge. I did 100 yesterday, and 110 today. At this rate I should be up to ~300 per day by the end of the challenge. Yay exercise!

Haven't done my kettlebells yet today, but I'll get to them at lunch time.

Good plan. I'm adding at home barbell/dumbbell workouts. I've done 1 this week so 2 next week and 3 after that, etc..

I'm also working on getting my PT back into my daily routine. I've been fighting a few neck/back flare-ups, but I want to get back into it so my running and lifting will be more solid and safer!!

Kettlebells, huh? Haven't really tried them yet. What do you like about them, specifically? 

Jumping rope has a lot of history with fighting arts, not just for conditioning but also for coordination. My sensei swears by it, and if I had the room for it I'd probably start doing it again. As it is, it's just not there yet.

Get after those kettlebells!

Also, super-excited to hear that you're going back to the dojo! Let us know how it goes.

Good plan. I'm adding at home barbell/dumbbell workouts. I've done 1 this week so 2 next week and 3 after that, etc..

I'm also working on getting my PT back into my daily routine. I've been fighting a few neck/back flare-ups, but I want to get back into it so my running and lifting will be more solid and safer!!

Kettlebells, huh? Haven't really tried them yet. What do you like about them, specifically? 

Nice. I'm a big fan of the week-to-week progressions. Looking forward to seeing how you like it. Also, yeah, a small amount of daily exercise is working for me, so I'd recommend that as well.

As for the kettlebells, I like them for martial arts training, because you're not as limited to the standard movements as you are with bar/dumbells. Swings and lifts are actually quite fun too! 

Jumping rope has a lot of history with fighting arts, not just for conditioning but also for coordination. My sensei swears by it, and if I had the room for it I'd probably start doing it again. As it is, it's just not there yet.

Get after those kettlebells!

Also, super-excited to hear that you're going back to the dojo! Let us know how it goes.

Sir, yes sir! Kettlebells complete:

3 x 10 lifts

3 x 10 swings

Seems like not a lot, but I'm trusting my plan and sticking to it as best I can. I'd rather take longer to add reps/sets than to do too much too soon and end up with a sore back or something. The rope jumping compliments it nicely though, so taken together, they make a decent daily routine. 

I'm flat out this week as we're going away for an extended weekend, but I'm trying to work things out so that I can sneak in a dojo session on Wednesday night. Unfortunately, this means I need to be organised and get my packing, etc sorted before then (easier said than done, too as I just got my first uni assignments this week). No rest for the wicked. 

• Like 3

So, what you're saying, is that you want to get stronger in a slow, sustainable way over time.

It's almost like you want to gain strength or something.

Weird.

:P

• Like 1

So, what you're saying, is that you want to get stronger in a slow, sustainable way over time.

It's almost like you want to gain strength or something.

Weird.

:tongue:

Yeah I know, right? ;) It's tough to see just how much fitness I've lost over the past year or so, but it's great to feel it coming back :D

• Like 2

Yeah I know, right? ;) It's tough to see just how much fitness I've lost over the past year or so, but it's great to feel it coming back :D

Yeah, man. Have no fear. You'll get it back. Faster than you think, as long as you stay careful.

• Like 1

If you feel like you're getting a stronger, day by day, by doing short sweet and simple workouts (the KISS principle works with everything), then that's fantastic!  Awesome that you're feeling fitter and fitter each day :)

Ick shocking day today...very little sleep last night and a stressful day...black dog reared its ugly head for a bit. I tried some jump rope but wasn't in the right mindset and just kept whipping my ankles. Such is life. Will try again tomorrow.

Cut that dog down with everything you have. You have no business being dragged down by that. You're a swordsman. Cut your way through.

• Like 1

Ick shocking day today...very little sleep last night and a stressful day...black dog reared its ugly head for a bit. I tried some jump rope but wasn't in the right mindset and just kept whipping my ankles. Such is life. Will try again tomorrow.

Sorry to hear it's been a tough day, everything is harder on no sleep (he says at 5:48am after not being able to sleep!!), hopefully today will better for you. 

In some circles people pay good money for an ankle whipping these days you know ;)

• Like 1

Cut that dog down with everything you have. You have no business being dragged down by that. You're a swordsman. Cut your way through.

Well put. I've got my goal for today :)

Sorry to hear it's been a tough day, everything is harder on no sleep (he says at 5:48am after not being able to sleep!!), hopefully today will better for you. 

In some circles people pay good money for an ankle whipping these days you know ;)

Yep, no sleep is usually the trigger for me. It's school holidays so the kids are going berserk. Last night wasn't much better...maybe 4 hours broken sleep as they were up all freaking night. Woke up in a good mood though, and am resolved to make it a good day, so we'll see how things go. 

I think we operate in different circles btw...still, if you have any numbers, I can always use some extra cash ;)

• Like 1

As mentioned, I'm determined to make this a good day, so I've started with a morning workout. It's raining outside, so I couldn't do my full suburi set out there. I did it in seiza instead.

• 2 x 50 suburi strikes
  • 5 x 10 left hand uburi
  • 5 x 10 right hand suburi
  • 50 jump rope jumps to make up for yesterday's shortfall
  • 130 jump rope jumps for today

Interestingly, I did my jump ropes after doing my suburi, and this kept my heartrate way down. Usually, my heart is racing at the end, but I feel fine now. Not sure which is better...

• Like 1

About a minute-ish, minute and a half?

Not too shabby, maybe you should pay an entry fee or exit fee of 10 double unders before/after your skips. That'll rev you up ;)

• Like 1

Not too shabby, maybe you should pay an entry fee or exit fee of 10 double unders before/after your skips. That'll rev you up ;)

Given my current struggles with single-unders, I might give that a miss for now ;)

• Like 1

Looks like you're getting some decent work done. Single-unders for me too please!

BTW, psychological speaking. Do you find your profile pic motivating? Just curious if it affects you in any way.