• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BarefootDawsy

BarefootDawsy's 'We Kendo It!' Challenge

A run? But. I thought you just said your lower body was fine. It's the upper body that needs work... :tongue:

Hmm good point...maybe I'll run on my hands ;)

If he pays attention to his posture while running, he could rightly claim torso workout!

Hey yeah! Good point. Moar running!

He's got a couple of these so he can pump iron while he runs ;)

Yeah remind me to give them back to you when I'm done. Thanks for the lend!

• Like 2

It was a good day today. I upped my daily jump ropes to 220, my back's pretty much better, if a bit tight, and I went to Bunnings and got the last piece of my shinai repair kit - mineral oil.

The best bit was that I actually disassembled my shinai by myself today and put it back together, better than new. I was pretty nervous about doing it, since it's my only one, but it all went pretty well I think. I'm not 100% on one of the knots because my shinai's different to the tutorials I found, but I'll double check that with my sensei next week. All in all, happy days. 

• Like 2

It was a good day today. I upped my daily jump ropes to 220, my back's pretty much better, if a bit tight, and I went to Bunnings and got the last piece of my shinai repair kit - mineral oil.

The best bit was that I actually disassembled my shinai by myself today and put it back together, better than new. I was pretty nervous about doing it, since it's my only one, but it all went pretty well I think. I'm not 100% on one of the knots because my shinai's different to the tutorials I found, but I'll double check that with my sensei next week. All in all, happy days. 

I don't see any mention of completing the burpee PVP here...

• Like 1

I am so behind on your thread.  I suck.  Sorry.

Also, I'd just like to reiterate that I'll be wearing freakin armour. This is my favourite part of doing kendo (except for the mask, which is clausty as hell). I'm surprised that more nerds here haven't picked up on this and started Kendo yet!

bogu_do_-_kendo.jpg

I demand a photo when you are fully geared up.

Week 4 summary:

• A for jumprope. I'm doing 200 jumps minimum per day now, and greasing the groove a bit too. I've started to push the speed a bit which is giving a surprising arm workout as well. Fun times
  • F for upper body exercises because I basically didn't do any due to being away and injured. Back in the saddle this week, I promise.
  • B For education. I watched a bunch of great videos on assembling/disassembling shinais, tying tenugui, and wearing bogu. I'm planning to practice what I learned this week.
  • I'm hoping to make it to parkrun this Saturday if the weather's decent, to see if I can still run 5k..wish me luck

In the meantime, here's a gif of Deadpool making Spiderman uncomfortable...

tumblr_inline_nepf7g9Eo01sxjizi.gif

Solid week 4.  Good luck with the run.

Also, when I went to New York Comic Con I saw an army of Deadpools.  And this behavior is rampant and I love it.

• Like 2

I don't see any mention of completing the burpee PVP here...

!!! I completely forgot! I'll knock it off today :)

I am so behind on your thread.  I suck.  Sorry.

I demand a photo when you are fully geared up.

Solid week 4.  Good luck with the run.

Also, when I went to New York Comic Con I saw an army of Deadpools.  And this behavior is rampant and I love it.

Don't be, I'm in the same boat...I've got about 200 posts to read. as well. I'll see what I can do about snapping a couple pics tonight for you ;)

I'd love to go to a Comic Con..looks like so much fun, though I'm not sure I could do a Deadpool cosplay justice!

Waiting for the official Deadpool trailer to come out...come on Comic Con stop hogging that shit.

17t968cx2nufxgif.gif

Glad your back is doing better :D.

Thanks BT :) I managed to watch the leaked new trailer before it got pulled down...so much awesomeness. so much.

• Like 1

Completed my bonus run at Curl Curl parkrun this morning with a time of 29:16. I can't believe I posted a sub 30 as I haven't run properly in about a year. This is a huge boost and I've been a happy chappie all day. Nice way to round off the challenge :D

• Like 3

Completed my bonus run at Curl Curl parkrun this morning with a time of 29:16. I can't believe I posted a sub 30 as I haven't run properly in about a year. This is a huge boost and I've been a happy chappie all day. Nice way to round off the challenge :D

Excellent, great finish to the challenge, well done!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Challenge Wrap-up:

Well, I guess that's the end of another challenge. Overall, I'm very pleased with how things went.

The first 4 weeks were pretty much bang-on, and I think they really improved my fitness. I'll definitely be adding in daily exercise in the form of rope jumping, kettlebells and body weight sets going forward. I found it much easier to motivate myself to do these small amounts of exercise regularly than to gear up and go to the gym.

I did a bit of benchmarking for this challenge to see how I progressed, and they seem to back me up:

Burpees:

• Week 1: 42 in 7 minutes
  • Week 6: 63 in 7 minutes

Shinai Holding:

• Week 1 Left hand: 3 minutes, 10 seconds
  • Week 1 Right hand: 4 minutes
  • Week 2 Left hand: 6 minutes
  • Week 2 Right hand: 7 minutes

Running:

• No benchmark, but first proper run in about a year and managed 5k in 29:16. Very surprised/happy with that

Kettlebells:

• Week 1: 10 lifts, 10 swings
  • Week 6: 4 x 20 lifts, 4 x 20 swings

I also managed to get my terminology down for shinai parts, put together a maintenance kit, and even managed to break down and rebuild my shinai, which I'd never done before.

My only real disappointment this challenge was not doing a dojo session due to injury and stupid life getting in the way. I've locked in for this Wednesday though, so I'm just days away from that now too.

I just wanted to say thanks heaps to all of you who posted works of encouragement and awesome gifs to my thread. It made all the difference in helping me keep on track Especially big thanks to @Endor, @BlackTezca, @Kishi and @Terinatum, who went above and beyond in this respect. 

Samourai_salut.gif

Looking forward to the next challenge!!!

• Like 2

Challenge Wrap-up:

Well, I guess that's the end of another challenge. Overall, I'm very pleased with how things went.

The first 4 weeks were pretty much bang-on, and I think they really improved my fitness. I'll definitely be adding in daily exercise in the form of rope jumping, kettlebells and body weight sets going forward. I found it much easier to motivate myself to do these small amounts of exercise regularly than to gear up and go to the gym.

I did a bit of benchmarking for this challenge to see how I progressed, and they seem to back me up:

Burpees:

• Week 1: 42 in 7 minutes
  • Week 6: 63 in 7 minutes

Shinai Holding:

• Week 1 Left hand: 3 minutes, 10 seconds
  • Week 1 Right hand: 4 minutes
  • Week 2 Left hand: 6 minutes
  • Week 2 Right hand: 7 minutes

Running:

• No benchmark, but first proper run in about a year and managed 5k in 29:16. Very surprised/happy with that

Kettlebells:

• Week 1: 10 lifts, 10 swings
  • Week 6: 4 x 20 lifts, 4 x 20 swings

I also managed to get my terminology down for shinai parts, put together a maintenance kit, and even managed to break down and rebuild my shinai, which I'd never done before.

My only real disappointment this challenge was not doing a dojo session due to injury and stupid life getting in the way. I've locked in for this Wednesday though, so I'm just days away from that now too.

I just wanted to say thanks heaps to all of you who posted works of encouragement and awesome gifs to my thread. It made all the difference in helping me keep on track Especially big thanks to @Endor, @BlackTezca, @Kishi and @Terinatum, who went above and beyond in this respect. 

Samourai_salut.gif

Looking forward to the next challenge!!!

Fantastic progress stats,  you must be proud of that,  nice work :positive:

• Like 1

My oh my, actual concrete progression. This is something that I am happy to see. :)

I'm also glad to see that we've found our way to the same page for short workouts to balance long classes. I dunno how long I'll stick to this, or how long it'll suit you to stay here, but it's nice to have that in common. :D

All in all, looks like a job well-done. Very nice!

• Like 1

My oh my, actual concrete progression. This is something that I am happy to see. :)

I'm also glad to see that we've found our way to the same page for short workouts to balance long classes. I dunno how long I'll stick to this, or how long it'll suit you to stay here, but it's nice to have that in common. :D

All in all, looks like a job well-done. Very nice!

Thanks mate, yeah, it seems to be working well. I'm not sure if the gains will continue as steadily, but I think there's a lot to be said for maintaining a daily routine, however small.

I'm always here to add more color and insanity to anyone's thread :D.  Also always happy to help you and offer all the encouragement!  Awesome challenge and fantastic work here :).  Are you gonna do another challenge?

• Like 1

I'm always here to add more color and insanity to anyone's thread :D. Also always happy to help you and offer all the encouragement! Awesome challenge and fantastic work here :). Are you gonna do another challenge?

Thanks BT :) Yep definitely going to do another challenge, so watch this space!
  • Like 1