seth.e.shaw Building assassin necessities!

Challenge Goals

1. Skill: Parkour training (20 minutes+ sessions) x2 weekly (M/Th). Start with rolls, precisions, and QM to crab (to help with safety vault pass-through); build from there (vaults next) as able.

2. Speed: Interval training x2 weekly (Tu/F)

3. Strength: Body-weight x2 weekly (W/Sat) replacing dumbbell rows with jack-knife pull-ups (reps TBD). Also, I will be away from home on strength days twice so the jack-knife pull-ups will be omitted those days.

Keeping it simple and straight-forward right now but I need to think of a Nerdwarts School of Assassincraft & Ninjary tie-in! ;)

• Like 3

L2 Dwarf Assassin (w/ Druidic tendencies)

Current challenge: Seeking rest, focus, and peace of mind.

Previous challenges: RespawnTime to get mobile, & Building assassin necessities

Welcome back!! We're on the same team again for the mini, let's go be awesome!

4b3976d4a8989b0dfb071f34ceab7160.jpg

• Like 1

Level: 8   Race: Wood Elf   Class: Ranger at Heart -  Training with the Adventurers

Current Adventure: A New Hope

Past Challenges: 1st  âœ² 2nd âœ² 3rd ✲ 4th ✲ 5th âœ² 6th âœ² 7th  âœ² 8th âœ² 9th

“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams†- Eleventh Doctor

Poor start! My left knee started bothering me over the weekend. Fortunately it is mostly better today but then my left hip started hurting too! I knew rolls and precisions were out, so I spent some time with some slow quad movements, but that didn't last long. Even worse is I had plans for hiking today!

Not sure what I will do for intervals tomorrow. My hip won't be ready for interval running in the morning and hotel doesn't have a gym for access to an elliptical or bike. I will probably pick a few bodyweight exercises that are easy on the hips (push-ups, calf-raises, and planks?) and do intervals of those...

Yesterday my hip was feeling a little bit better but still problematic so I did body-weight intervals as described in my last post.

Today's body-weight workout went okay considering I did some body-weight yesterday, carrying my luggage through two airports (I stopped using rollers a number of years ago), and my over-night flight last night. (I did get some sleep but it was poor quality.) 

The reps for squats, push-ups, and lunges felt just about right although they will probably increase shortly. The 20-lb weight I used for the rows was probably too light, but I will be swapping for jack-knife pull-ups after today anyway. For planks I did 45 seconds for the first one and then 60-seconds for the following two circuits (compared to original work-out plan's 15 seconds)! I credit the Game of Thrones minis and the unofficial "rest week" mini for that.

Unfortunately part way through the first set of jumping-jacks my hip started complaining so I stopped that set mid-way through. For the remaining two circuits I simply did the arm movements without the jumping to not provoke the hip but still get the shoulder work. I don't know if it was the lifting in the airport or not having the distraction of jumping, but doing those arm movements in isolation was rough by the third circuit!

I am considering revising the work-out days order. Currently I cycle through skill, intervals, and strength; which puts me back on skill the day after strength. I am thinking that swapping intervals and strength so I will be less sore on skill days. If I switch it will probably be at the start of a week (after a Sunday rest period) when the cycle starts anew. Thoughts?

Another Slytherin who is doing parkour?  Awesome!  

Your revised workout plan makes more sense to me.  Doing skill work on tired or sore muscles is going to make the skill work 10x harder.  

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

So it is settled: speed and strength are swapping places. S rest, M skill, T strength, W speed, T skill, F strength, S speed.

Skills went okay on Thursday. I practiced rolling on some mats my hotel gym had. My hip has been doing better but too much impact is an issue. We will see how it is doing on Monday.

Friday intervals were done on an elliptical (to help preserve the hip while it heals) so I just used the pre-programmed two-minutes on, two minutes off, interval setting. Perhaps it was partly the humidity but boy was the sweat rolling off me doing that!

The body-weight workout went pretty well considering I did some Nerdwarts AMRAP testing earlier today. I modified the jumping jacks again in consideration of my hip. I am hoping this clears up over the rest day!

Hip-pain Context: I have an arthritis that flares in my hip when I eat too much starch which happens most often when I am eating out (which I was doing for work just before the challenge began and this week while traveling). I am hoping that cleaning up my diet while at home this week and supplementing with some probiotics will help.

• Like 1

Another poor start to a week. Life interfered with both the skills and strength days (M and T, respectively). I was lacking any motivation for speed today (my least favorite of the three) but I summoned Braveheart and kicked myself out the door.

The hip seems better but I didn't want to provoke it before getting back in gear for a skills day so I stuck to the elliptical. Can I say that I hate pre-programmed intervals right now? Both the one at the hotel gym last week and the one here at my apartment complex have pre-programmed 2 minute on/off intervals. That makes the "on" interval 4x that of the outline linked in my challenge post above with the same amount of rest time. So intervals kicked me in the rear chest and quads. I need to watch myself doing these intervals to make sure I don't push myself too hard. About half-way through I toned down the "on" interval to be 60-seconds near 95% and the second near 75% before backing off to about 50% for the rest interval.

• Like 1

Another poor start to a week. Life interfered with both the skills and strength days (M and T, respectively). I was lacking any motivation for speed today (my least favorite of the three) but I summoned Braveheart and kicked myself out the door.

The hip seems better but I didn't want to provoke it before getting back in gear for a skills day so I stuck to the elliptical. Can I say that I hate pre-programmed intervals right now? Both the one at the hotel gym last week and the one here at my apartment complex have pre-programmed 2 minute on/off intervals. That makes the "on" interval 4x that of the outline linked in my challenge post above with the same amount of rest time. So intervals kicked me in the rear chest and quads. I need to watch myself doing these intervals to make sure I don't push myself too hard. About half-way through I toned down the "on" interval to be 60-seconds near 95% and the second near 75% before backing off to about 50% for the rest interval.

Glad to hear that your hip is doing better! How is the diet part of that going? 

I know those feels about lack of motivation. I'm sitting not feeling motivated to workout today or do the mountain of dishes in my kitchen. Thanks for that link, I'm off to complain as I put on my workout clothes and fill the sink. 

this-is-spar-oh-wait-freeedom.jpg

• Like 1

Level: 8   Race: Wood Elf   Class: Ranger at Heart -  Training with the Adventurers

Past Challenges: 1st  âœ² 2nd âœ² 3rd ✲ 4th ✲ 5th âœ² 6th âœ² 7th  âœ² 8th âœ² 9th

“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams†- Eleventh Doctor

Glad to hear that your hip is doing better! How is the diet part of that going? 

I know those feels about lack of motivation. I'm sitting not feeling motivated to workout today or do the mountain of dishes in my kitchen. Thanks for that link, I'm off to complain as I put on my workout clothes and fill the sink. 

this-is-spar-oh-wait-freeedom.jpg

Diet has been clean since I got home except the sacramental bread at church on Sunday (which is a manageable amount if I am otherwise behaving myself). I haven't been consistently supplementing with the probiotics though. Even then, being good with the diet simply means not adding more fuel to the fire. Once I notice a flare I still need to wait for the flame to burn itself out before I am back to normal. NSAIDs blunt the pain but don't seem to resolve it any faster. That is the trouble with auto-immune conditions. Once the immune system gets provoked it will run it's course. The key is to not give it an excuse to rampage.

Heh, dishes I'll do. A messy kitchen gets in the way of feeding myself and the family. It is also a great opportunity for listening to podcasts.

Thanks for the Braveheart image! This thread has been sorely lacking visuals. 

• Like 1

Continuing on the trend of "just do it"... Both yesterday and today's efforts were about as close to the end of the day as realistically possible... after the kids were finally asleep and enough floor-space had been cleared. It also made conditions for my match in the dueling club less than desireable because I needed to have my door-way bar & chair (which wasn't going to work well with the kids either).

Yesterday (okay, it is now past midnight, so two days ago) I practiced rolls. The first two were really pathetic and it hurt my back to do them. Then I recalled that I have an old yoga mat that was stashed in a closet. It was just long enough for me to roll on if I started just before the edge. Better yet the extra cushioning kept my back from hurting! I will be visiting my sister and teaching a workshop during my next skills day and may not have a suitable rolling surface. I will probably work on precisions instead. 

Today (yesterday now) was strength and it was done late too. We attended my daughter's "Arts Camp" performance which got us home late which meant the kids were to bed late too. BUT I still got in my three circuits plus some additional jack-knife pull-ups for the duel! I didn't have a prayer of beating Lightning in my duel but that is okay.

Tomorrow will be interesting. I don't know if I will be able to escape for intervals before I catch my flight, if my sister has a machine I can use, or if my hip will be up to running (general life, walking and carrying, is fine but running beyond a short distance yesterday was still not happening). "Soon," I keep telling myself. Let the dang thing heal. So why did I sign-up to be a chaser in Quidditch?

Diet has been clean since I got home except the sacramental bread at church on Sunday (which is a manageable amount if I am otherwise behaving myself). I haven't been consistently supplementing with the probiotics though. Even then, being good with the diet simply means not adding more fuel to the fire. Once I notice a flare I still need to wait for the flame to burn itself out before I am back to normal. NSAIDs blunt the pain but don't seem to resolve it any faster. That is the trouble with auto-immune conditions. Once the immune system gets provoked it will run it's course. The key is to not give it an excuse to rampage.

Heh, dishes I'll do. A messy kitchen gets in the way of feeding myself and the family. It is also a great opportunity for listening to podcasts.

Thanks for the Braveheart image! This thread has been sorely lacking visuals. 

Oooh shiny! I can help with the visuals. Have a favorite fandom? 

I hear you on the diet related things. I had some wheat and dairy in Week 1, and my body went crazy. I know I'm not great with dairy and wheat, but I'm wondering if its time to do some kind of an elimination diet to see if that's the cause of my fatigue. 

Continuing on the trend of "just do it"... Both yesterday and today's efforts were about as close to the end of the day as realistically possible... after the kids were finally asleep and enough floor-space had been cleared. It also made conditions for my match in the dueling club less than desireable because I needed to have my door-way bar & chair (which wasn't going to work well with the kids either).

Yesterday (okay, it is now past midnight, so two days ago) I practiced rolls. The first two were really pathetic and it hurt my back to do them. Then I recalled that I have an old yoga mat that was stashed in a closet. It was just long enough for me to roll on if I started just before the edge. Better yet the extra cushioning kept my back from hurting! I will be visiting my sister and teaching a workshop during my next skills day and may not have a suitable rolling surface. I will probably work on precisions instead. 

Today (yesterday now) was strength and it was done late too. We attended my daughter's "Arts Camp" performance which got us home late which meant the kids were to bed late too. BUT I still got in my three circuits plus some additional jack-knife pull-ups for the duel! I didn't have a prayer of beating Lightning in my duel but that is okay.

Tomorrow will be interesting. I don't know if I will be able to escape for intervals before I catch my flight, if my sister has a machine I can use, or if my hip will be up to running (general life, walking and carrying, is fine but running beyond a short distance yesterday was still not happening). "Soon," I keep telling myself. Let the dang thing heal. So why did I sign-up to be a chaser in Quidditch?

Way to just do it, even when things were busy and tough! You're awesome!

Tumblr_mdxx8wDZE81rhenvco1_400.gif

brilliant-doctor-gif.gif

• Like 1

Oooh shiny! I can help with the visuals. Have a favorite fandom? 

I hear you on the diet related things. I had some wheat and dairy in Week 1, and my body went crazy. I know I'm not great with dairy and wheat, but I'm wondering if its time to do some kind of an elimination diet to see if that's the cause of my fatigue. 

Way to just do it, even when things were busy and tough! You're awesome!

Tumblr_mdxx8wDZE81rhenvco1_400.gif

brilliant-doctor-gif.gif

Thanks for the visuals offer! I have started to do more although they have been more relevant on other threads.

Favorite fandom? Soooo difficult to choose! Of the popular ones I think HP & LOTR are my strongest associations with both (yes, both) Star Trek and Star Wars up there as well. Fun, fun, fun, stuff! If I was to choose a more obscure one I would certainly go with the Mistborn series. I'm looking forward to the next two books (October then January)!

I really need to do an elimination too (the Whole 30 at least or the more thourough AIP Paleo), but the overhead necessary to do that in my house with the rest of the family has made it unrealistic.

Weekly update! Yet another week of travel.

The first half of the week I was doing a combination trip, both visiting family (with my eldest tagging along) and teaching a two-day workshop (1.5 hours away from the family I was visiting, so a total of 3 hours in the car both Monday and Tuesday). So, between the workshop, spending time with family, and the commute, I allowed myself to miss skills training on Monday although I did do strength training on Tuesday evening before hitting the sack. Wednesday was a travel day, which wouldn't have been so bad except our 1-hour layover turned into a four-hour layover due to flight delays and I was help occupy my daughter during that time and by the time we got home it was time to crash. So my intervals training was dropped but I did do some quasi-skills training while playing with my daughter.

Thursday my wife let me sleep in but as soon as I got up the rest of day was spent helping out around the house until I left to catch my evening flight. Friday morning/evening I was able to complete the marauders' map mini-challenge and then do my strength training in the hotel gym. Saturday morning, before my flight, I did interval training using broad-jumps to help out with the Quidditch match. (Unfortunately that is where my Quidditch efforts ended due to, you know, life.)

I never realized how many muscles are involved with push-ups. For AMRAP testing I did squats Friday morning and jack-knife pull-ups tonight and both improved. My attempt at push-ups found me barely hitting my starting AMRAP. My arms felt fine and quads were complaining but still okay. My lower abs, however, were killing me. I think it was in part from yesterday's workout, but I think the biggest factor was all the broad-jumps I was doing. I will need to test the push-ups fresh on Monday.

At least I'm not traveling anymore this challenge. The only big factor left is when the baby decides to come (due on July 8th).

Wow.... been a while since I updated on the challenge. To be honest I don't recall how well the week of June 28th through July 4th went although I believe it was of spotty quality. I was pretty much just AWOL last week. Of course, I have plenty of excuses. Only one really matters though: our pending arrival. The little guy hasn't made his appearance yet (we weren't really expecting him since the last three came a week late also) but we are working as quick as we can to get as many things in order as we can before he does arrive.

What does this mean for the challenge's final week? For skills yesterday I did some precision jumps but my hip was starting to flare (poor eating choices the previous few days) so I ended early. Tonight was the bodyweight routine which I was able to complete. Tomorrow I should be able to do the intervals but after that everything gets crazy.

The doctors have scheduled his eviction induction for Thursday, which means I will be at the hospital all day. I doubt rolls will be overly comfortable or acceptable in the hospital halls. Friday will also be a bit crazy since we are bringing him home then (assuming everything is okay) but I should still get to do the body-weight workout in the evening. Saturday we will continue to adjust, but I need to fit in both AMRAP testing in addition to a speed session.

Wish I could help out my fellow Slytherins on the final mini, but this week is crazy enough as it is. Fortunately I was able to contribute to the Occlumency mini! I can usually find 5 minutes to set aside although this morning's attempt was interrupted by our 5 year-old wanting to read with me and I can't say no to that.

Challenge Wrap-up

It has been a crazy 6 weeks! I have been out of town for two of them and the rest were mostly spent getting ready for baby #4 who arrived this past Thursday. Considering all of that I am going to cut myself a little slack...

Skills - Suffered the most. Even being generous to myself I can't score more than a "C" due to the highest number of missed and shortest-duration sessions.

Strength - Was the easiest to work-on for me. It had the fewest missed sessions although I could have progressed further had I pushed myself some more. "A."

Speed - Well, I did it. It consistently kicked my rear in a "I'm gonna die!" kind of way. It certainly isn't "fun" despite being an essential skill. I need to keep working on it so I eventually don't feel like dying. "B."

Nerdwarts - Was awesome fun! I love the Assassins Guild for the great challenges and wonderful folks participating! I wish I could have been more helpful to my fellow Slytherins though... my AMRAPs didn't move much (my push-ups didn't increase at all!) and I had a difficult time fitting in the retests. I was able to help a little on a few of the mini's though not as much as I would have liked. Especially Quidditch! Again, being kind to myself I would have to count this as a border-line "B"/"C" extra credit. The greatest reward though was being associated with fellow Slytherins like Tox, Kyliewyotie, Tundralily, Hazard, and Nymeria who were amazing and inspiring to work with. 

So, overall, while being generous I will give myself a "B" grade for this challenge.

The next challenge is scheduled to start in about two weeks. I will certainly participate again although it corresponds to the start of another semester (and I will be teaching a brand-new class), a week of conference travel, and we will still be adjusting to the new baby in the home. Considering those points and, as I mentioned in my post to the Occlumency mini thread, I expect to spend the next challenge with the Druids to focus on my peace-of-mind, focus, and healing. I love the competitive spirit of the Assassins Guild, it encourages me to try harder, but I expect a change of pace is in order for this next challenge. After that, however, I will be back!

• Like 1

Awww.  Thanks.  :)

The Druids are certainly a much quieter and more chill place, so that will hopefully work out wonderfully for you.  :)  I love the Assassins, but sometimes the minis can get a bit overwhelming.  Also, good luck with baby #4!

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2