Denis: Getting Lighter

Denis

For this challenge, my big focus is going to be my eating & weight. I have my first obstacle race coming up at the end of this challenge so a little less weight to throw around the course would be nice :). So, this challenge is going to look like:

1. Clean up my eating after dinner. This is the biggest bad habit that prevented me from losing weight last challenge. I'm getting lots of exercise, more than most any other time in my life, but it feels like I start eating everything and anything when it gets near the end of the day (at least with the amount of exercise I get, my weight has been relatively stable). I'm going to give myself 2 points for days when I don't eat after dinner or just have veggies,  and 1 point if I stick to just fruits & veggies. My goal will be to accumulate 42 points during the challenge. (+3 CON)

2. Drop 8 lbs. By doing #1, this should follow. However, I wanted to keep this as a separate goal so that 1) I am publicly tracking it and 2) I ensure I don't simply shift my problem eating to a different time of the day :).  (+2 DEX, +3 CHA)

3. Trail running. Introduce trail running into my workout schedule with at least 4 trail runs over 5k in during the challenge (i.e., weeks with no 

races). (+2 STR, +2 STA)

4. On the life goal front, I want to finish up a couple of books that I've started, Quiet by Susan Cain and Total Truth by Nancy Pearcey. (+3 WIS)

I've set up a tracking workbook for the first 3 goals here: Challenge 3 tracking

Including the trail running, I will be running 3 times a week, including intervals, long (for me) runs and some races. I am also doing strength training 3 times a week, and have started throwing some bootcamp style sessions into the mix for those days too (in place of my regular routine). I also cycle to work, with few exceptions.

The races I have planned over this challenge period are an 8 km trail run (June 6), a 5k (June 20), and the Rugged Maniac (Jul 18). 

Level 4 Dwarf Ranger
STR 6 | DEX 3 | STA 6 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 1 

Challenges: 3, 2, 1

I ran an 8k trail run this weekend (49:06) and, based on that, have updated my challenge some. I've changed the third goal to introduce trail running into my workout schedule. While I feel pretty good about my performance this weekend, there is definately room for improvement especially when it comes to hills! Also, I think this trail running will be beneficial as training for the OCR races I've got coming up.

Level 4 Dwarf Ranger

Better late than never updating this I guess. My 5k during this challenge period was my best with a time of 23:59 and I was happy with my Rugged Maniac time of 39:44. I lost  track of my eating & weight goals, but I successfully completed my trail running and life goals.

Looking back on it now, while everything didn't go well, I made some positive changes during that time which really helped me towards my overall fitness goals.

Level 4 Dwarf Ranger