AthenaMM's Journey

AthenaMM

Introduction:  Hi, I'm AthenaMM and this is my first challenge. I introduced myself previously here and I was still pretty much in the same place. Then I kind of had an epiphany a couple of weeks ago. Rather than trying so hard to keep up with the workouts and healthy eating just to lose weight and being upset when the scale didn't reflect my hard work, I should stop worrying about the scale and figure out what (eating, fitness and sleep wise) made me feel my best every day. I also went back to working on creating sustainable habits, which is what worked for me before. I was focused on habits and not the scale in the first part of this journey but sometime after the plateau started the scale unintentionally became the only way I measured progress. In the last week and a half (or so) I've been rating my hunger using this scale before and after I eat and paying attention to how certain foods make me feel. I also found a 7 day a week exercise plan that is working for me. You do 1 day of intervals, 1 day of endurance, 1 day of strength training, 1 day of yoga and 3 days of active rest (walk for 30 minutes) interspersed with the rest I've been working on three habits for the last week and a half and these are going to be my quests for this challenge. Since I want these to become real habits that I do without thinking, I think that keeping them up for 8 weeks (the two weeks before the challenge and the challenge) will be a good step in that direction. I'm also pretty shy and I've let myself get into a rut because of it. I'm ready to break out of that and try some new things.

Main Quest:  Discover the eating and fitness plan that makes me feel my best everyday. 

Quest 1: Do morning yoga every day. There are a handful of 15 minute yoga routines in the app I'm using that focus on balance and/or flexibility which are two of my weak spots that I can choose from. If there are mornings where I am short on time do the 4 minute sun salutations routine. Since I am working on this as a habit, I am grading pretty harshly.

Measurement: A = 40-42 days, B = 37-39 days, C = 36 days

Reward: A = +3 DEX, +2 WIS, B = +2 DEX, +1 WIS, C = +1 DEX

Quest 2: Exercise daily. For the most part I want to follow the 7 day plan I'm currently following, but if I'm short on time or just too worn down I can either walk for 5 minutes, do 20 squats or 30 jumping jacks. On Sunday Quest 1 and Quest 2 are accomplished at the same time because I do a 30 minute, more strenuous yoga routine first thing in the morning.

Measurement: A = 40-42 days, B = 37-39 days, C = 36 days

Reward: A = +3 STA, +2 STR, B = +2STA, +1 STR, C = +1STA

Quest 3: Rate my hunger before and after every meal (and snack). Don't eat if my hunger before is higher than 4 and stop eating at a 5 or 6. I'll be keeping track of this for every meal and snack and I'll calculate the percentage of the time I kept to these guidelines to measure progress.

Measurement: A = 90-100% of the time; B =  80-89% of the time, C =  70-79% of the time, D =  60-69% of the time

Reward: A = +3 CON, B = +2 CON, C = +1CON, D = +0.5CON

Life Quest: Do something every week that makes me uncomfortable (talk to a stranger, try something new, etc)

Measurement: A = 5-6 times, B = 3-4 times, C = 1-2 times

Reward: A = +2 CHA, B = +1CHA, C = +0.5 CHA

Motivation:  I turned 40 this year and I want to stay healthy and capable for as long as possible.

• Like 9

Battle Log

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fitbit, Epic Quest Character

Athena, that's a really neat hunger scale and I've never seen anything like it before.  How have you found it helping you in your eating/meal plans?

• Like 1

Reformer | Race: Gnoll | Level: 2 (neophyte) | Recruit

Current Quest: Awaiting Next 6WC

Current Side-Quest: In Development

Previous Quest(s): An Introduction to the World

Previous Side-Quest(s): N/A

[ STR: 3 | DEX: 2.63 | STA: 2.94 | CON: 3.94 | WIS: 3.75 | CHA: 2.88 ]

Numquam Bella Piis, Numquam Certanima Desunt â€” “For the faithful, wars shall never cease.â€

I feel so much better all the time now. I'm still doing the things I was working on before (eating plenty of veggies and fruit, avoiding processed food, getting enough protein, etc) but I'm able to stick with it a lot better. I had been shooting for an 80/20 thing, where I ate healthy 80% of the time, but I kept going off the rails when I would eat junk because I felt deprived. Now that I'm focused on how everything makes me feel I'm doing a lot better. I can eat things that aren't as healthy 20% of the time without going nuts because I don't want to feel crappy afterwards. And I know that I can have some junk another time so I don't feel deprived. It doesn't make a lot of sense, since the only thing that has really changed is my perspective, but it's working for me and that's all that matters. A good indicator of how well it's working is that when my parents visited 2-3 weeks ago, they bought a carton of ice cream and then didn't eat most of it. I had some before my epiphany, but since then I haven't had any. And not because I'm trying not to. I keep telling myself that I'll have some later in the day or the next day as part of that 20% but I haven't really wanted it. And since ice cream is one of weaknesses, that's saying something.

• Like 2

Battle Log

Congratulations! Let success build upon success (as it looks like it is) and you'll go far in your goals.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Reformer | Race: Gnoll | Level: 2 (neophyte) | Recruit

Current Quest: Awaiting Next 6WC

Current Side-Quest: In Development

Previous Quest(s): An Introduction to the World

Previous Side-Quest(s): N/A

[ STR: 3 | DEX: 2.63 | STA: 2.94 | CON: 3.94 | WIS: 3.75 | CHA: 2.88 ]

Numquam Bella Piis, Numquam Certanima Desunt â€” “For the faithful, wars shall never cease.â€

What a great sounding challenge.  I basically developed the same eating habits for myself by stopping when satisfied and before full a couple challenges back.  It has made such a massive difference.  

Glad you are here and trying something new!  Your initial post really hit close to home and I am really looking forward to following along.

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

I love that you have such a specific plan mapped out, you are going to do awesome with this challenge, it is inspiring!! I love your goal for daily yoga, even if it's just a few minutes. I think I'm going to do try to incorporate something like that as well. Good luck, I'll definitely be following you!

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Major Weight Loss Goal- 117 pounds

12%
12%

Weight Loss Goal Current Challenge- 10 pounds

20%
20%

Walk to Rivendell

1.5%
1.5%

Thanks DragonMommy! I'm really enjoying the daily yoga so far. I feel so relaxed and loose when I finish every morning. I'm using an iPad app called Yoga Studio that is really helpful. It costs $4-5, I can't remember exactly, but there are a LOT of routines included for every level, focus and duration. It's great if you're a beginner and don't know where to start. You can even create your own routines, though I haven't tried that yet.

Battle Log

The life quest is actually the only part I'm really nervous about. I've been doing the rest for almost two weeks, so it's just a matter of whether or not I can keep it up for another 6. But going outside my comfort zone is (ha ha) uncomfortable. I'm hoping that after the 6 weeks I'll continue doing something uncomfortable every week until maybe it isn't so uncomfortable. I feel like I personify this 6406249879cc0fcc722d6ff47555f88e.jpg

• Like 5

Battle Log

Welcome Athena :))

I'm totally on board with your plan to eat what makes you feel healthiest. It's so hard to navigate food/diet options sometimes. I think I've tried everything out there so far. I think most of us have more food issues and sensitivities than we can imagine. There is certainly no one way of eating that is perfect for everyone.

• Like 1

Level 0

STR: 0 Dex: 0 STA: 0 CON: 0 WIS: 0 CHA: 0

my very first challenge

:monkey:

goal 1: lose 10lbs

5%
5%
goal 2: exercise 5xs per week (30xs total)

13.33%
13.33%
goal 3: eat clean paleo 6xs per week (36xs total)
8.33%
8.33%

I agree Iridian. For example, I have had trouble with low blood sugar since I was a kid. I knew that but didn't really take it into consideration when I started trying to avoid starchy carbs and sticking to protein, veggies and fruit. Then suddenly I started getting weak and lightheaded any time it had been more than 2 hours since I'd eaten. It actually took a little while for me to realize what was going on. I've found that I need to have at least a little starch at breakfast and dinner to keep my blood sugar going. I seem to do fine avoiding starch at lunch though so I usually have a salad with chicken or tuna and a bowl of veggie soup (no potatoes or anything starchy, just vegetables). It works for me.

I do stick with whole grain stuff for the most part and I don't eat very much bread. It's mostly oats, brown rice and quinoa

Battle Log

Ugh! I got into responding to Iridian and forgot why I got on here!

So I actually did 3 sets of the Beginner Bodyweight Workout today! I've only been doing 2 but after reading DragonMommy's post I decided I had to at least try. It was like "I haven't cried so maybe I'm not trying hard enough". Well once I was done with the second set, I had changed my mind. There was no way I could do another set. So I sat down to drink some water and rest. A song had started a little bit before I finished so I was going to listen to it before I turned off Spotify. Well before the song finished I realized I was rested enough that I could do another set, so I did! The song is 3:41 long so the rest was probably about 3 minutes. So not too bad. And now I know I can do 3 sets, so I just have to work on decreasing the rest time till I'm doing them back to back!

• Like 2

Battle Log

You have a beautiful rebellion, Athena.  I like the hunger scale you shared, and I like that you picked a challenge that looks very doable, that your main focus may be on getting these good choices into habits, and that you're primarily stretching your mind and comfort levels (with your life quest goal) as the harder part.  Success building upon success.

Way to go with getting a third set of the workout done.  You're very inspiring, and I'm going to remember as I work on my own challenges that a short rest then doing more is perfectly alright.... and might be great.  That will probably help me a lot too.

• Like 1

Level 1 NPC Assassin

Strength: 2Dexterity: 0 Stamina: 3 Constitution: 1 Wisdom: 4Charisma: 0

Current Quest  |  Previous Quest Current Stats

Weight Loss Goal: 40 of 116 lbs; 296 to 180

{progress='1e90ff'}34.5{/progress}

Thank you Eskcanta! I also have trouble remembering that things don't have to be done perfectly to be worth doing. It hadn't even occurred to me when I sat down to rest, that I could rest and THEN do the next set. It just hit me after a couple of minutes that I was rested enough to do more. At the beginning of this weight loss journey last year I kept reminding myself that progress, not perfection, was the goal. I still forget sometimes but it helps to tell yourself this.

Battle Log

Progress, not perfection is my mantra!! Also, good for you for going through with the third set! I felt that way after the second set too, like I couldn't go on, but I'm so glad I did. Good for you! Looking forward to following you throughout this challenge, you're gonna kill it!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Major Weight Loss Goal- 117 pounds

12%
12%

Weight Loss Goal Current Challenge- 10 pounds

20%
20%

Walk to Rivendell

1.5%
1.5%

On the diet thing, you've basically figured out something that I eventually did but from the other way.  You see, I used to eat a lot of pizza, alfredo, bread, ramen noodles, cheese, chips, ice cream, and other such foods to excess, to the exclusion of meat, vegetables, and fruits.  I felt crummy all the time, dealing with indigestion, acid reflux, and other gastrointestinal issues.  I was also lethargic, often in some state of depression, and had the most terrible PMS (my temper and emotions were utterly out of control during certain times, when before I'd been pretty easy-going and laid-back albeit miserable from cramps and headaches.) 

I did a lot of searching and learned that a lot of those problems could be solved by changing my diet to one that's more vegetable intense.  I shuddered at the thought of trying to count calories, and being hungry from eating just veggies all the time, but luckily I discovered that meat and other proteins like eggs made me feel full, and now the cravings for the junk food I used to eat have been drastically reduced.  I still have the occasional junk item, but it's twenty times easier to say "no thank you" now that I know what those foods in excessive amounts do to me.  I also am often too full to say yes to those offers of junk food and dessert.  And I don't crave those items so much anymore because I get more of my needed nutrients than I did before.

• Like 4

Level 2 Orc Adventurer

Strength: 3 Dexterity: 1Stamina: 3Constitution: 3  |  Wisdom: 3Charisma: 1

Previous Quest | Current Quest Starting Stats Current Stats

It really is amazing how much better I feel now that I'm not overeating. I still have some junk, but I'm not overdoing it and it's such a small part of what I'm eating, I still feel good. I don't think I've felt as good as I've felt these last 2 weeks in 10 years.

By the way I've now officially kept up with the morning yoga and daily exercise for 2 full weeks. I've also rated my hunger at every meal and snack for 2 weeks. That isn't to say that I've stayed within the parameters I set above for 2 weeks, but this has been a learning process. I haven't eaten when I wasn't hungry (which is an improvement) but I have slightly over eaten a few times. Usually when I wasn't paying attention or something was REALLY tasty. But I think I'm really getting a handle on how I feel when I'm starting to get full and I've learned that some things have a delayed full feeling, so I should stop a little sooner. All in all I'm feeling ready for the challenge to start. I like that some people are assigning rewards to their challenge and I want to come up with one to help motivate me through. I'll have to give it some thought.

• Like 5

Battle Log

By the way I've now officially kept up with the morning yoga and daily exercise for 2 full weeks. I've also rated my hunger at every meal and snack for 2 weeks. That isn't to say that I've stayed within the parameters I set above for 2 weeks, but this has been a learning process. I haven't eaten when I wasn't hungry (which is an improvement) but I have slightly over eaten a few times. Usually when I wasn't paying attention or something was REALLY tasty. But I think I'm really getting a handle on how I feel when I'm starting to get full and I've learned that some things have a delayed full feeling, so I should stop a little sooner. All in all I'm feeling ready for the challenge to start. I like that some people are assigning rewards to their challenge and I want to come up with one to help motivate me through. I'll have to give it some thought.

Seems you're doing really good. :) That last part actually made me wonder though... does that scale work well for you? Maybe I just eat too fast, but if I take e.g. the feeling of having eaten a bit too much... that usually sets in for me a bit later. But maybe paying attention is a big part of this already. I usually do stuff while I eat (bad habit I know) - even if it's just a conversation or having a look at the newspaper. Then I suppose regularly taking notes will help? Hm. Anyway, very interesting, I'm truly curious to see updates on this. 

• Like 1

I guess I probably should be more specific. I'm not really starting to feel full, I just notice that I don't really feel like I have to eat anymore. At least that's the only way I can think of to explain it. It's just a feeling that I've started to pick up on. The feeling of full happens a little later. But with some things (like salad and things with a lot of fiber) the difference is much larger, meaning if I stop when I have that same feeling when I'm eating salad, I'm going to be uncomfortably full when the full feeling hits instead of just satisfied.

I also do stuff while I eat and yes it's a bad habit, but it's something I enjoy so I'm not planning to stop. At first that made it hard to pay attention but somewhere along the way I learned to be "tuned" in to my body even when my attention is split. Sometimes it doesn't work, but the more I do this the less often that happens. And I do note it down even if I'm just writing a number on the nearest piece of paper. I usually write what I started at, what I ate, how I felt when I stopped and then how I felt a little later. That helped me see the patterns and learn what I should feel like when I stop.

• Like 2

Battle Log