As the echoes of the ringing of the hammer died away, the tinkerer looked up from his anvil. Alas, the long days betrayed him; he had worked past dinnertime again. With no small degree of pride, he surveyed the completed stack of tools he'd created. This was by far the biggest order he'd ever taken and the task filled him with fulfillment. With slight hesitation he considered the work remaining - it added up to several month of solid work. The rays of the setting sun caught his eye as they fell on Firle Peak in the distance and the tinkerer sighed aloud. This was a hard life for an elf. He longed for the forest and the mountains yet the forge and anvil called his name every morning.

Come summer, the tinkerer vowed to lay down the hammer for a fortnight and venture to Firle. He'd never climbed her summit and the bard in the tavern had told amazing stories of the climb and the tavern in the foothills.

Indeed, much work remained. But he had an apprentice now. In the growing twilight, he took down a mold not used in a long time. A plan was beginning to form in his mind.

This month is a crazy one at work. Many things are due on June 20th, a major construction project is starting up, and our operating permit requires new and difficult tasks. However, my crew is fantastic and motivated and I just hired a Project Manager for the construction project. I feel like all my work objectives can be met if I can anchor my life and focus on the important things.

In climbing, a piton is a metal spike (usually steel) that is driven into a crack or seam in the rock with a hammer, and which acts as an anchor to protect the climber against the consequences of a fall, or to assist progress in aid climbing. -wikipedia (links included for wikipedia addicts like me)

My plan is to anchor my busy work schedule around a pleasant and productive, but not crazy, home life. Fitness and being active really play into this as those are the elements which refresh me after 8 or 9 hours of keyboard pounding and phone wrangling. However, I don't want to be overly busy outside of work as rushing to have fun can be just as stressful as rushing to a meeting.

Goal Number 1: Hamstring Rehab

While my hamstring is improving after a minor tear last winter, things are still not normal. To work on this I have three options:

Standard PT Workout - About 20 minutes of resistance bands and isolation exercises with stretching afterward.
Bike and Stretch - Ride my bike at least 10 miles and stretch afterward.
Run and Stretch - Run at least a mile and/or until leg is uncomfortable. Then stretch afterward.

For all of these, stretching is required or it doesn't count.

Goal Number 2: Strength Training

This is an area where I have not tried very hard lately. In the past, I set a goal of 30% average improvement in bodyweight exercises over the challenge. This time I'm shooting for 15% improvement in all of the categories. My first two sessions I'll go for maximums and use the average of the two as a starting point. At some point in the last week I'll have my proving session. Categories include:

-Pullups
-Dips
-Hanging Leg Raises on Hang Board (must raise feet to eye level)
-L-Sits on Rings for time
-Inverted rows on rings

Goal Number 3: Social Running, Bike Transportation

While I'm recovering my ability to run, it's a great opportunity to run with my wife and/or the dog. Usually neither of them will run as far or fast as I do but the tides have turned. Also, the City I work for is sponsoring a bike challenge event. The best way for my to accumulate miles is to bike to work.

Over the challenge I want to accumulate 12 runs with either or both of my companions and 6 commutes. Accomplishing these tasks is OK for double dipping with Goal Number 1.

I will add my goals here as I round them out. They will probably include biking, running, rock climbing, house projects, hamstring rehab, elevation training and/or bodyweight strength training.

Goal Number 4: Climb Mt.Rainier (sort of)

In August my wife and I are headed to Colorado to backpack with friends. (YAY). To thoroughly enjoy this we want to practice hiking uphill. We'll go hiking each week gaining a total of 14,409' of elevation. I'll bring along a GPS to keep track of the gain.

Goal Number 5: Something Fun

Stealing from Kyliewyotie here, I have lots of fun hobbies that I need to enjoy more regularly. Each week I will spend at least one evening or half of a weekend day enjoying an activity I love from the categories below. Overlapping with other goals is OK except the hiking goal. Yes, photo proof will be posted.

-Backpacking
-Rock Climbing
-Kayaking
-Mountaineering
-Motorcycle Riding

• Like 3

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

I like the intro story and your challenge sounds like a lot of active fun!  Which fun activity are you planning to start off with?  And do you have any PRs for your strength exercises?

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

The "Figure out the Maxes" Workout

Warmup:

Arm-waving things

2 ea, pullups, dips, inv. rows, leg raises, 5 sec L-sit

20 BW squats

Pullups: 15 - Using grip taped parts of bar

Dips: 13 - On rings

Hanging Leg Raises on Hang Board: 11 - and fingers quit
L-Sits on Rings for time: 25 seconds - I'm not sure if I couldn't go longer or lost concentration
Inverted Rows: 10 - until I can't finish the movement
Hangboard: 25 seconds on 2nd easiest hold - poor stopwatch work but at least this much time

I think it would be better to do hangboard without the leg raises. I'm getting the leg raise movement via L-Sits and can do some cross-training on that exercise. I think attempting to combine the movements is compromising both.

I thought I could go back through the list and do 50% of max but I'm spent. I guess that means I tried!
  • Like 1

tinkerer

I like the intro story and your challenge sounds like a lot of active fun!  Which fun activity are you planning to start off with?  And do you have any PRs for your strength exercises?

Hopefully, some rock climbing after work on Wednesday. It's forecast to be super hot tomorrow so hopefully it will cool down a little.

p.s. I just read your interview with Hazard, your famous dood!

Kidding aside good read, mountaineering sounds amazing!

The highest point near me is the plant I work at, so what you do seems so foreign/exotic. 

Haha, you're the first person to mention it! It is super fun...if you are ever near some mountains a guide could safely take you up something!

• Like 1

tinkerer

Cool new challenge :).

10 miles of riding your bike seems a lot compared to running 1 mile, but that can be just me. How's the weather? Is it nice to go outside for your commute?

It's the same for me. 10 miles takes about 35-40 minutes and running a mile only takes about 10. The difference is that my hamstring limits how far I can run to about a mile. For a good workout I just do both!

The weather is terrible. It's sunny and about 90 F (32 C). A little tongue in cheek but I do miss the cool spring weather. Biking to work is great but home is a little toasty. Really, any day I can be outside is better than being stuck behind a window!

• Like 1

tinkerer

Confirm the Maxes Workout

Warmup
Arm Waving
20 Squats
PT Workout + Stretching *Bonus Daily PT Point Unlocked!*

Maxes

Pullups - 16

Dips - 14

Leg Raises - 15 (Using this instead of the average with last time, doing the hangboard separately)

L-Sit - 28 Seconds

Inverted Rows - 10

Hangboard - 31 Seconds

Summary

So much for sandbagging! These are almost all more than the first try. That means my goal goes up! What was I thinking.

I'm super excited to see my "goal" (see spreadsheet) of 18 pullups. I've never done 20 pullups and 18 seems like it is within striking distance! WOOOHOO!

• Like 2

tinkerer

Yesterday at lunch I scouted rappelling locations for a work team building event next Tuesday. It was nice to do something outdoors in the middle of the day. I was planning to bike-commute today but that would have reduced my sleeping time to 4.5 hours which seemed too little. Instead, I brought a rope and might try rappelling from the scouted locations.

That's so hot to exercise outside :(. I'm glad you have the option to commute bu bike though, I can't imagine what it would feel like to not get outside all day!

My job is actually pretty cool. I am the manager for the water and water reclamation utilities for a small City and work out of an office at our shop. When I need to I can get up and go make sure the facilities are in order. Biking is better though!

• Like 2

tinkerer

Fun Activity #1 Completed! I went with my wife and a friend up a nearby mountain. We saw a bunch of mountain goats along the way and had a fantastic time. Got in about 3700' of elevation gain toward that goal too!

Here's the "proof" picture - just messing around posing the with the mountain.

IMG_1410_zps8wn7brl5.jpg

This is the final ridge to the summit

IMG_1390_zps5gujdzuw.jpg

And this is the view we shared with a goat

IMG_1393_zpszokkzsih.jpg

All in all, a fantastic day.

Also, yesterday I did the bike commute trip for about a 30 mile round trip. That was fun too!

• Like 2

tinkerer

Great views :D. I'm so glad you have the opportunity to climb all those mountains, it must be fantastic!

Good job with the biking as well :).

It really is. I try to keep in mind how lucky I am to be up there.

Yesterday I had an opportunity to go to a BBQ at a friends house on the lake. We had some delicious food, did some wakeboarding and enjoyed some brews. I'm a little tired and unmotivated today as a result so did not do a PT routine this morning. I think the overall routine for transitioning back to work-mornings needs to be re-evaluated. It was a super fun weekend though.

• Like 1

tinkerer

Last week I developed maxes for each of my exercises but this week I need to identify a plan to improve those maxes. What I came up with is to do half of my max reps three times. That way, my form stays good but I am still performing 150% of what I am able to do in one sitting. My plan is to increase the reps on each set week-by-week and then check maxes again after 4 training weeks.

Workout today consisted of: pullups, dips, leg raises, L-Sit, inverted rows, and hangboard with a PT exercises warm-up.

• Like 1

tinkerer

Sounds like a solid plan :). Maybe you'll want to try more difficult exercises as well? That way, you can do less reps and get the same effects. It's usually more fun to have a few different exercises as well ;).

That is a really good idea. I had originally meant to include in my plan some variations so that I wouldn't be doing exactly the same routine for 6 weeks. It would be fun to include some front and back lever work, maybe some weighted pullups, dips and rows, a hard climbing day for fingerboard / strength training, etc. etc. My reason for measuring success via improvement rather than completed workouts is to allow for flexibility and adjustments. If anyone has a suggested exercise which would build strength toward my end goals now is the time to make that suggestion!

I rode my bike to work today. A little over 13 miles. Hopefully will get a bit more than that in riding home here in a few hours.

• Like 1

tinkerer

Good job on the cycling :). Has the national bike challenge started yet?

For exercises, here are some ideas. They kight be too easy for you, but maybe you'll like them ;).

Pushing: decline push ups, diamond push ups, push ups with a clap, maybe even work towards handstand push ups? These all train the different muscles with slightly different intensities. Your shoulders will know what I mean after your first diamond push ups ;).

Pull: If your bar is up for it, you can go from underhand to overhand grip and back while keeping your arms flexed. (Weighted) chin ups and pull ups.

Core: ehm... My core is not that strong, so I have no suggetions here. How difficult do you find V-ups and hollow body holds? I guess you can hold a crow all day, otherwise that might be a nice core exercises as well ;).