• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

thist514

Caitlin's Quest to be the Best Caitlin

HI!  My name is Caitlin and this is my first time participating in a 6-week challenge.  I have been following nerd fitness for about 2 months now and am a proud Academy Assassin!  I recently reached an all time high in weight (219 lbs) and had my diet so screwed up I couldn't even get over a common cold.  So I decided to go full force into my weight loss journey.  My ulitmate goal is to loose 60 lbs (that would take me to 160 lbs).  More importantly than all of that is that I WANT TO BE HEALTHY!!  I was a gymnist, dancer and cheerleader as a kid and my body could perform just about any activity I asked of it.  Now-a-days tying my shoes makes me winded (wtf?!).  So it's stopping now.  Ofiicially.  I am already 12lbs into my weight loss and am working every day at bettering myself!  Now it's time to step it up and make my goals public. 

Major Quest

Lose 60 lbs

This is outside the scope of this challenge, but I'll take any weight loss as a win :)

Minor Quests

Nutrition:  Drink 10 cups of water daily

A= 35+ days B=28-34 days C=21-27 days D=14-21 days F=0-13 days

Fitness: Complete 3 sets of 10 traditional pushups in one workout

A= 3 sets of 10 B= 3 Sets of 6-9 C= 2 Sets of 6-10 D= 1 Set of 6-10 F= Less than 6

Mental Fitness: Be in bed with my phone down and my lights and TV off at least 8 hours before I have to be awake

A= 35+ days B=28-34 days C=21-27 days D=14-21 days F=0-13 days

Life Side Quest

Go to the New Baltimore Farmer's Market on Sundays and participate in the Yoga in the Park every week

Go on a date with Chase every Sunday were we spend some time outside

A= 6 Times B=5 Times C=4 Times D=3 times F=1 or 2 Times

Motivation

To be able to play again.  Run, flip, trick, hike... all of the things I enjoyed in my youth

Rewards

4.0: Register for Kate Galliett's Unbreakable Body and buy a new yoga outfit

3.5-3.99: Register for Kate Galliett's Unbreakable Body

3.0-3.49: Buy a new yoga outfit

2.5-2.99: Buy a new sports bra

2.0-2.49: Buy new yoga pants

0-1.99: Get a high five for trying

• Like 7

I love your motivation! I'm definitely stealing that and adding it to my motivation for this challenge! Your quest title is very similar to my main quest. I wish you luck in this challenge and I'll be checking in to cheer you on!

• Like 1

We also have similar weight loss goals/motivations. But I think you were better than me when you were younger, I was too afraid of going upside down to stick with gymnastics as a kid, though I did do dance. Nice reward structure, new fitness gear is always fun. Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks Guys!  It should be a fun ride :)  I'll for sure check out your posts, and good luck to you guys in your adventures!

Athena, how did you set up your signature?  I for sure want that!

I had to get on here and look up how I did the progress bar again. I was coming here to tell you how but I see you found out yourself! Good job and good luck with the challenge!

• Like 1

Hi!  I love that you are giving yourself a high five for trying!!  Love that attitude.  I think you have great goals.  Screen curfew is going to help a lot with your sleep.  We have a lot of electronics blinking around in our room even when I turned them off (from being plugged in to charge) so I found, additionally, a sleep mask helped me really get the room quiet and dark and ready for sleeping goals.  

With your interests and past adventures in cheer and dance and gymnastics, I think you'd make a great Assassin once you have completed your Recruit Challenge.  As one of the Assassin Guild Ambassadors, I'm adding you to our potentials list.  Don't worry - it doesn't commit you to anything, but it does mean that members of the guild will be stopping by to spy on you encourage you during your challenge.  Meanwhile, please stop by the Assassin Guild Info & Announcements to see what we're up to, and of course feel free to introduce yourself in the Assassins' Den guild chat thread. There's also a Level 1 Assassin Initiates Q&A/Chat thread if you've got specific questions.

Have a great start to your 1st challenge and welcome to the Rebellion!!  

• Like 1

You did a FANTASTIC job with these goals and then adding in your "loot" :D I looooove it! One of my main motivations is to be able to do anything physical that I am interested in also!

• Like 1

Update!

I started my quests on Sunday instead of Monday and will finish Saturday 7-18. I work better with a Sun-Sat week. I've modified my workouts (from Sun/Tue/Thu to Tue/Thu/Sat) to allow myself Sundays to go to yoga and the farmers market. Also per the mini challenge yesterday I realized that I would have to make special accommodations for Fathers Day. So I made separate plans with my dad for Saturday so that I can still complete my quests.

I am 2/2 for both sleep and water (which is HUGE for me). And I have now done 1 standard push up (on my toes with my feet together) and 3 tricep pushups with a widened stance.

I am struggling with the transition from knee push ups to standard though. I breeze through my sets when doing knees but literally fall on my face when I do standard. Any suggestions for transitioning?

TIA!!

• Like 3

I'm currently doing incline push-ups because the knee ones were too easy and I still can't do a standard (not and go down as low as I should). Just find a chair or ottoman or something and put your hands on that, keep your toes on the floor and do standard push-ups. It seems to be a good in between move. And you can use the height of the incline to help you transition farther. So as you get stronger decrease the incline until you are doing standard push-ups on the floor.

• Like 4

I am struggling with the transition from knee push ups to standard though. I breeze through my sets when doing knees but literally fall on my face when I do standard. Any suggestions for transitioning?

Try incline pushups instead of knee pushups.  A standard pushup is really just a moving plank.  When you hold a plank you are working the same muscles you need to do a full push up.  Incline push ups do the same.  Start high if you need to (wall/counter top) and work your way down (table top, chair seat, step stool) - always starting in the nice straight arm plank position, keep all the big muscles engaged, lower yourself down all the way and then pushing back up.  Eventually you'll work your way down to the ground!

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I actually went from incline to knee a few weeks ago. I was having wrist flexibility issues with the angle on incline. I wasn't limited by my strength but from an anitomical resistance which is demoralizing. But I might try going to a lower level (I was on a weight bench before) to ease the flexibility issue. I've also been stretching my wrists so hopefully there's more movement now.

• Like 1

I don't know about with incline push-ups but I've seen it suggested for floor pushups to use handweights to keep your wrists straight. Put the weights on the floor where your hands will go and grip them the way you would to lift them but do pushups.

• Like 2

what about reverse incline? (feet on the bench, etc. and hands on the floor)?

Anyways, I admire your resolve and foresight in planning what works for you :)

I have dumbells so I could try that for flexibility issues.  I thought putting your feet up was harder than having them on the floor. 

I do have an update coming later on, it'll be a bit of a story!

Update:

This was a rough weekend.  I took on waaaayyy more obligations than I should have and my plan suffered because of it.  I had to push my workout from Saturday to Sunday (which means I was to do yoga and strength training on the same day).  On Saturday I hosted a board game night and was at the store till 1am, basically blowing my sleep quest.  I also totally lost track of my water that day so I'm going to grade it as a miss for water.  Then came Sunday, I slept in later than I planned pushing my workout to the evening.  I went to the Farmer's Market but it was raining so there wasn't yoga (although they had said that there would be yoga rain or shine.....) so I was going to go to my studio later in the day to meet my yoga quota.  That didn't happen.....  And since my sleeping clock was reset after Saturday I couldn't sleep last night, so I didn't meet my sleep goal on Sunday either. 

But there were some good moments this weekend!  I survived an Italian graduation party without cheating on my diet!!!  I did my workout on Sunday regardless of the yoga incident.  I am progressing on pushups.  I can now do 3x10 of incline pushups (tri-cep and standard) on a workout bench with my stance slightly widened.  I also lost another pound, so things are progressing in the right direction regardless of set backs.  So yay for that!

So I'm rocking out a B in sleep and water, an F in pushups and B in yoga/farmer's market.  And I'm down 15 pounds!

Here's to 5 more weeks :)

Still sounds like a win to me! Sometimes life is going to get in the way, but you did your best to work around it and still did your workout and navigated a difficult food event without slipping! So congratulations, you're doing great!

• Like 1

You hosted a board game night on Saturday?  That's AWESOME.  I actually drove 2 hours west to Grand Rapids to go to a board game night hosted at a friend's house.  Tons of fun.

Despite having a few setbacks, you have some great goals and a good first week.  It is awesome to hear about the progress you have been making.  Keep up the hard work!

• Like 1

You hosted a board game night on Saturday?  That's AWESOME.  I actually drove 2 hours west to Grand Rapids to go to a board game night hosted at a friend's house.  Tons of fun.

You should come and check ours out!  We're hosting again on 7/25.  We're demoing Boss Monster 2 which will be a new release (sooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!).  There's actually a FB group for our board gamers (GG Board Gamers) and we coordinate games and what not in it.  It's an awesome resource for us nerds :)

Dropping in to say hi!  I love your challenge goals - congrats on all your progress so far!  I really need a goal like your bedtime challenge.  I'm ok about getting into bed at a decent time, but terrible about actually putting down my phone to go to sleep...

Your board game night sounds awesome!  I checked out the FB group - if you all weren't several states away I would be there!  My friends and I are board game fanatics.  Every couple of months we host a gaming party at our house - everyone bring their own games, we set up 3 or 4 tables in different rooms, and everyone gets to split up and try different games. 

Looking forward to following along with your challenge!

• Like 1