• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

thist514

Caitlin's Quest to be the Best Caitlin

So Week 2 went a touch better.  This was a week of reflection and discovery.  The first thing I realized is that everything is better with a gif (thanks to my accountability group Nerdians of the Fitalixy)  

tumblr_mshtckP6PF1ri5ryho1_500.gif

This pretty much sums up my 6 week challenge so far!

I realized that these 6 week challenges are much harder than I had originially thought.  I am used to giving myself small goals to work on and checking them off the list but this is throwing me to some degree.  I've discovered a few of the reasons:  

1. I normally cascade my new goals so that I don't start all of them at the same time.  It gives me an opportunity to lean on a pseudo developed habit when I start a new one.  (Lowering the strain on my willpower as it were).  So in the future I will choose some goals that I have already started on, or maybe level up something I've already mastered.  

2. The time crunch gives me major anxiety.  I know that I only have so many weeks to get all of this done so I stress which we all know does not help with progress.

3.  My life goals should have ZERO fitness criteria (i.e the yoga that is involved in mine right now) it just gets to be too much!

0b190dedb7c7759eb1171816bcdb86cf.jpg

My life goal was a flop again this weekend.  The farmers market is getting boring (same stuff every time, no interesting vendors) and I just didn't want to do the yoga this time.  So I am changing my life goal to be a date day/night with Chase (the BF).  Sundays are pretty much the only day that we have off together and we have a way of ignoring eachother for weeks on end.  So... Date day/night it is.  The kicker being we have to do at least 1 outdoor activity, even if it's just walking around a downtown area.  I will get the most out of our summer this year :)

I felt more in control of my water goal this week.  I'm still having some issues with my apps and tracking.  It bothers me that I can't decide when a day ends.  Yesterday I drank a lot of water after midnight.  I recorded it (resigned to the fact that it would count for today's water and not yesterdays, but I was ok with that).  When I logged into Plant Nanny today there wasn't any recorded water for today at all...... So apparently if you drink water between midnight and dawn it doesn't count....  That's been frustrating, but I'm chalking it all up to a learning curve.  So last week I drank my 80 oz 5/7 days (for a total of 11/14 days).

The sleep quest..... TBH I'm not even sure how I'm doing on this.  My sleep schedule has been a touch erratic and so for the most part I am meeting the technical requirements for the quest, but sometimes that means I can stay up till 3 am, but I have to be in bed by 11 on others.  I might need to tweak this one in the future, we'll see.  Last week I was successful 6/7 days for a total of 12/14 days so far in the challenge.

Ahhh the push-ups... I can now do 2x3 standard push-ups without any space in my stance.  This is exciting!!  But it hurts like hell!  I'm so afraid my elbows are going to buckle at the bottom.  In all honesty I'm not sure if I'm actually going down all the way for fear of taking a digger.  I think I will start taping myself to make sure.  I'm at a crossroads with this though.  I am doing the body-weight academy workouts and they prescribe 10 push-ups per set.  I obviously cant do 10 standard push ups, and if I do ANY standard pushups I can't finish out the set with modified push-ups (my arms turn to play dough).  So do I AMRAP standard push ups and count that as my set (even though it's obviously not the prescribed 10 reps) or do I do the modified pushups until I can do the 10 un modified for my set!!  Ahhh the perfectionist in me is having an ordeal over this one.  I will be bringing it up in the academy Q.A tomorrow, lol.  I need answers!!!

66bNkyU.gif

So this week's progress in a nutshell!  

Still failing pushups (but making forward progress)

Getting an A in sleep

Getting a B in water

Getting an F in farmer's market/yoga (changing quest for this week)

GPA= 2.0 :-/

Weight Loss 15/60 total!!

Oh and thanks to everyone for keeping me accountable!!

• Like 1

Yay gifs!  That push up gif has me dying with laughter - I've probably watched it 5 or 6 times on repeat now!

giphy.gif

This is your first NF challenge, right?  I think it's totally natural to be running into roadblocks with your goals and needing to tweak them.  We're not even halfway through yet, you have plenty of time to adapt.  I think the goal of spending quality time outdoors with your BF is awesome - I may try to do a goal like that next challenge.  

As for pushups - my advice would be to alternate:  one workout try to do as many standard push-ups as you can (even if you can't get to 10), then the next workout, do all 10 (even if you have to do them modified).  You'll be working up to doing all 10 standard that way.

Have a great week!

• Like 2

Push-up gifs was awesome.  You try to do 1 push-up and then you realize that all the things are wrong.  Keep working on the pushups.  When I started 3 weeks ago, I could not do 1 full set of 10 proper push-ups.  So I would do those to failure and then finish out the set with modified form.  I think I started with around 5 each set (3 sets in a workout).  Now I am at the point of adding 1 push-up per workout and up to 13x3 doing proper form.  It is hard, but I just keep pushing myself for a little more.  But if you keep pushing yourself hard, you will slowly get progress.  And as the weight comes off, they will continue to get easier too!

Just keep up the good work.  Small steps in the right direction add up over time!  Just keep comparing the you of today to the you of yesterday and working on that!

• Like 1

Sounds like you're doing great to me. You are realizing what is and isn't working and changing it when necessary. That is much better than giving up because it isn't working for you.

I would probably just do AMRAP for the standard push-ups but I also like Archon's plan, particularly if you don't feel your making progress with the standard push-ups.

• Like 1

So... Per this weeks recruit mini challenge I started doing some digging on push-ups.  As you guys know I've been at a loss on how to make progress with these so I figured I'd hit the virtual pavement and start to do some more research. 

post-24743-0-12022500-1428371854.png

In the forums I found a link to a website called Neat Strength and an awesome article on push ups.  After reading that article I realized one of the things I wasn't focusing on while progressing through the different modifications was range of motion.  I don't belive I was hitting a true 90* angle with my elbows.  I'm rather chesty and I think that was throwing me off.  I would go down to just before my chest touched the ground.  Well... that wasn't nearly far enough, so now I'm focusing on my getting my nose to touch the ground (or until my chest stops me, either one....). 

So I went back to knee pushups during my last workout.  I did 3x10 with my nose touching the ground and it wasn't terribly difficult.  So I moved onto incline.  I did 1x10 and let's just say that was my issue..... Needless to say I felt those!  I was grunting through the last 4 or so.  My poor boyfriend thought I was dying lol!  So I will be continuing at the incline level making sure that I use my full ROM.  This probably means that I wont make it to my goal, but that's ok.  I knew it was an aggressive goal when I set it, so worse case scenario I carry it over into my next challenge. 

• Like 1

Great job! I didn't think to mention that before, but I had discovered the same thing a little while back. If you aren't going all the way down it's hard to progress to standard pushups. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if I've been letting that slide some too, because I haven't been making much progress there in the last few weeks. I'll have to pay attention tomorrow and make sure I'm doing the full range of motion.

• Like 1

Hi there!  I love your update, and thanks for the love on my challenge thread. I really love your attitude, damn right if you can't do it you'll bring it to the next challenge! And camp. I have a feeling there will be a lot of firsts for people at camp. Progress is progress, and should be praised, so great job!

2543615-2446273_bro_fist_super.jpg

• Like 1

MIDCHALLENGE UPDATE

This challenge isn't going as planned..... And I'm OK with that!  I haven't been to the gym in over a week so my pushup challenge is being a little ignored.  I'm still dropping and giving...3?... when I think about it, but not actually working out is slowing down my progress.  I'm getting more consistent with my water, that's becoming habit.  The sleep challenge is getting more difficult!  I think in the future I will need to set a more concrete challenge.  Something like "be in bed by 11 every night".  It would give me more consistency and I think I would succeed at it more.  

In other news!  I AM NOW BELOW 200LB!!!!!!!!!!  So even though I am not succeeding at my mini challenges I'm still making progress on my master challenge.  That has made me stop and think A LOT about my mini challenges.  If I'm failing at them yet still progressing towards my major quest then maybe my mini quests aren't that relevant.  So I'm going to think a little more about my challenges next time!

So I cordially invite you to:

onederland-party.png

• Like 6

Oh!  And my life quest is going great!  Chase and I are really enjoying our time together and it's something we've started looking forward to.  

• Like 2

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I am here for the Onederland party! I learned that word several years ago when I did weight watchers online, and I love it! I was SO excited when I entered Onderland, so I know exactly how you feel! My mother loved the word when I told it her as well. She decided that the 200's were Twoterville.

You are obviously doing something right so maybe your mini quests are tougher than they need to be. And congrats on your life quest!

• Like 1

Yay for milestones!  Congratulations on your progress!  I feel you on the sleep challenge being tough.  My sleep schedule gets thrown off so easily.  If I take a nap during the day or have a few nights where I go to bed late and sleep late, it becomes impossible to get to sleep when I want to.  Setting a goal for a specific time every night is probably a good idea.  That's what I've done this challenge and it's working pretty well for me.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!  It's been so nice not beating myself up over these challenges.  It becomes a much more difficult struggle with all that added guilt :)

• Like 4

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS THE LAST WEEK!!!

So this challenge went a little differently then I had planned on.  I didn't have the awesome positive momentum that I've had with my own goal setting, and in fact I had bouts of wanting to quit, self doubt and depression going through this.  Yeah... not what I had planned.  But I learned a TON!! about myself and what type of goals work for me. 

I have officially stopped going to the gym (so the pushup challenge is just not gonna happen sadly).  There are 2 reasons I stopped enjoying the gym.  The first was a knee injury.  I'm still in moderate pain, but I came up with a routine to avoid knee pain and still didn't go.  The second reason is my push-up challenge.  There's no beating around the bush here.  I set too hard of a challenge and wasn't happy with my progress.  Not happy me=not motivated me= no gym for me.  Soooooo I'm just going to go back to doing my knee push ups, focusing on form and allowing myself to be happy with my progress.  Throughout this challenge I did realize that my form was lacking and that is a huge insight, so I don't regret it.  However I wont be setting a goal like this again.  The pressure is just WAY to intense for me.  In the meantime I need to remember this!

Never-give-up.jpg

Onto better news!!  My water challenge has created an awesome habit in me!  I crave water constantly throughout the day now.  I can actually feel when I'm not on track for my water consumption which is AWESOME!!!  I'm loving using plant nanny and can't wait to up the stakes one of these days.  (I'm going to give myself a break from tracking this so fiercly for a while).  And my sleep challenge is going so so.  I definately think I should have set a specific time.  Like M-F be in bed by 11 or something like that.  I don't like restricting myself on the weekends and the variance in bed times is zapping all of my willpower :(

The life side quest is going great too!  Chase and I are really enjoying our Sundays together.  We both have our bikes now and bike riding has become a big part of our lives.  This is definately something that we'll continue throughout the summer.  I also saw a very VERY cute idea for dates.  It's a jar with popsicle sticks that have different date ideas on it.  I am officially making that this weekend.  I can't wait!!

date-night.jpg

• Like 3

Oh!  And my true goal (losing weight)!  I'm still losing but it's DEFINATELY coming to a plateau.  I think this has a lot to do with not going to the gym.  So that needs to change, and it will :)

• Like 1

Went to the gym last night! I still can't do any of the movements that make me feel like I'm working out (squats/lunges/step ups) so I felt like I was cheating. But I went! I did Steves warmup sans squats and lunges and then a 3x circuit of 10xdumbbell rows (25lbs each arm) 10x 15lb dumbbell swings 10xknee push-ups 10x 15lb hip raises 10x reverse crunches and 30xjumping jacks. I'm feeling it a little in my shoulders today but nothing like when I was doing the full body movements. I miss the burn :(

• Like 2