RisenPhoenix Finds a Way to Harmonize his Energy

Also, completed adult task:  Father's Day gift purchase!

Bought a camera drone thanks to it being pointed out to me by i09.  (In case people want to buy it today, i09 had a code for $10 off.  I think it was DRONEDAD10.  I can't find the article now to save my life.  Feel free to search.)

Anyway.  One adult task down (bonus because my mother also said she'd go in half on the drone.  So huzzah, adult task AND not paying nearly as much for it!)

Dude, the entire Boston aikido scene is super political.  Kanai-sensei brought aikido to New England.  Almost all of the schools and academic clubs in the area can be traced back to him.

The Boston aikikai scene, maybe.  There's at least four kokikai dojos in Boston that are totally unrelated to the aikikai scene.  They migrated up the east coast university corridor, IIRC, and multiplied as more people hit senior ranks and created dojos closer to home.  Not a lot of politics involved, they all guest-teach at each other's dojos from time to time.

The Boston aikikai scene, maybe.  There's at least four kokikai dojos in Boston that are totally unrelated to the aikikai scene.  They migrated up the east coast university corridor, IIRC, and multiplied as more people hit senior ranks and created dojos closer to home.  Not a lot of politics involved, they all guest-teach at each other's dojos from time to time.

Touche.  I should remember we have at least three styles in aikido in the area.

And there are four kokikai dojos?  I was aware of just one.  Man, Boston is over loaded with aikido dojos.  Just the ones that spun out of Kanai-sensei in the Metro area are 5 or so. You think I'd have traveled and trained elsewhere more frequently, too...

Smh as far as aikidoka shenanigans. Such silly. Very ego. Not samurai.

Seriously.  And for a new addition, he totally refuses to acknowledge me apparently.  Even when I say good evening.  And opted to not work with me and sat in the corner by himself pantomiming the technique instead.  This could prove interesting in the near future.

Two classes last night (34 classes remain), where we actually had two visitors.  One from Boston Aikikai and one from Portsmith Aikido in New Hampshire - and that one was actually a visit by their Chief Instructor who was in the area.  I got to work with both people.  The woman from Boston Aikikai had the QUIETEST ukemi ever.  It was amazing.  I wish I could be that silent when I did a breakfall.  And the instructor from Portsmith Aikido was a cool guy, might have to try to get up there at some point to train.  He had really nice flow and connected everything so nicely that I really had no choice in my movements.  And he was a young guy (early to mid 30s or so), which blows my mind since all of my instructors are significantly older. 

Anyway, lots of randomness in class yesterday, with the defining point being I was used a lot for demonstrations.  For breakfalls.  Ow.  My calf kind of started to seize up towards the end of the night, but otherwise I survived.  Got to show off some more of the Iwama stuff.  I'm slowly getting a list of people who want to see my notes I took, so I need to remember to photo copy them soon.

Practiced sheiko for a few minutes after class, too.  It as rough.  I need to keep my center lower and my upper body relaxed.  It's been pointed out to me a few times now that I shouldn't have my head bob up and down while walking.  It's a similar thought to when you are moving in fencing, your shoulders should be level and your feet should be the only thing moving.  Now how I can get to that point, I have no idea.  Probably just more practice.

Then I got home, ate food, and collapsed until I woke up this morning to do some crazy stuff.  See:

11038116_10104036514654079_3379913897390

• Like 1
And there are four kokikai dojos?  I was aware of just one.  Man, Boston is over loaded with aikido dojos.  Just the ones that spun out of Kanai-sensei in the Metro area are 5 or so. You think I'd have traveled and trained elsewhere more frequently, too...

Seriously.  And for a new addition, he totally refuses to acknowledge me apparently.  Even when I say good evening.  And opted to not work with me and sat in the corner by himself pantomiming the technique instead.  This could prove interesting in the near future.

Four last I heard... Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, and something newer on the edge of the metro area.  I think there's one a bit further out, too, maybe more towards western MA, not sure.

That's angry dude you're talking about?  He sounds like a real treat.  I can't see an instructor standing for a student 1) refusing to work with another student, barring some discussed issue, or 2) opting to mime a technique rather than actually train it.  (Geeze, if you're going to have  bad attitude, at least approach another pair and ask if you can train as their third.)

I really need to stop finding reasons not to come to stairs on Wednesdays. 

Drop a Verbal and I will summon a hoard on you to harass you into coming!

Also I can still pick you up.  Hopefully with minimal issue when you move.

Four last I heard... Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, and something newer on the edge of the metro area.  I think there's one a bit further out, too, maybe more towards western MA, not sure.

That's angry dude you're talking about?  He sounds like a real treat.  I can't see an instructor standing for a student a) refusing to work with another student, barring some discussed issue, or B) opting to mime a technique rather than actually train it.  (Geeze, if you're going to have  bad attitude, at least approach another pair and ask if you can train as their third.)

I know of one.  Makes me wonder where the Somerville one is, since that's where my dojo is located (and apparently we therefore have 3 dojos at least in Somerville).

And yea.  I think part of his dickish attitude is feeling 'slighted' that I went to Japan and was used for the Demo and he wasn't.  Because before the trip I wasn't being ignored.  Yea, we didn't go out of our ways to practice with one another, but it wasn't this level of assitude.  But yea, I expect the instructor didn't care because his opinion on the guy is also kind of.... Well, its been implied to be in the same wheelhouse as mine.  And Big Goober already has one semi-instructor he treats poorly for a perceived slight (which is entirely the Big Goober's own fault, as I have the story from two separate sources and they both agree) in a similar fashion.

Anyway.  It irks me a little in the sense that I don't believe you have to like people, but common courtesy and a civil attitude isn't too hard to maintain. Otherwise, okay with the door hitting him on the way out.

And yea.  I think part of his dickish attitude is feeling 'slighted' that I went to Japan and was used for the Demo and he wasn't.  Because before the trip I wasn't being ignored.  Yea, we didn't go out of our ways to practice with one another, but it wasn't this level of assitude.  But yea, I expect the instructor didn't care because his opinion on the guy is also kind of.... Well, its been implied to be in the same wheelhouse as mine.  And Big Goober already has one semi-instructor he treats poorly for a perceived slight (which is entirely the Big Goober's own fault, as I have the story from two separate sources and they both agree) in a similar fashion.

Anyway.  It irks me a little in the sense that I don't believe you have to like people, but common courtesy and a civil attitude isn't too hard to maintain. Otherwise, okay with the door hitting him on the way out.

Really not suitable for training.  Either you smile and do the best you can on the few occasions you train together, or if it's really not gonna work, you mention it to the instructor and be as polite as possible in avoiding them.  (And if there's more than one of those people... the problem is not them.)

Oh well.  That kind of thing is tolerated/gently corrected in junior students, but eventually it becomes his own problem to deal with.  Holding grudges and inventing feuds with various instructors and students isn't a great way to move forward.

• Like 2

Also, completed adult task:  Father's Day gift purchase!

Bought a camera drone thanks to it being pointed out to me by i09.  (In case people want to buy it today, i09 had a code for $10 off.  I think it was DRONEDAD10.  I can't find the article now to save my life.  Feel free to search.)

Anyway.  One adult task down (bonus because my mother also said she'd go in half on the drone.  So huzzah, adult task AND not paying nearly as much for it!)

A camera drone!? It's only Father's Day!

My dad will get a box of chocolates and a real present on his birthday in a few weeks. I don't have enough disposable income for such expenses :(

RUCK YEAH

Also, I'm looking in the background of your pic, and is that girl trying to freaking bear-crawl the bleachers? I mean, that's kind of cheating, unless she's going downhill, in which case, that's kind of crazy. But it's Tribal crazy, so I can respect that.

A camera drone!? It's only Father's Day!

My dad will get a box of chocolates and a real present on his birthday in a few weeks. I don't have enough disposable income for such expenses :(

It was on sale and my mother is pitching in.  Otherwise it would have likely been put in the "Cool, but too expensive" column.

And my dad is ex-military.  And a former pilot.  He'll be giddy with it.

RUCK YEAH

Also, I'm looking in the background of your pic, and is that girl trying to freaking bear-crawl the bleachers? I mean, that's kind of cheating, unless she's going downhill, in which case, that's kind of crazy. But it's Tribal crazy, so I can respect that.

I don't know when I became crazy.  Honest.

And probably not bear crawls.  Fire drill with pushups, so I think we were wrapping up pushups.

Then again, we are crazy, and I can imagine that she was doing bear crawls.

It was on sale and my mother is pitching in.  Otherwise it would have likely been put in the "Cool, but too expensive" column.

And my dad is ex-military.  And a former pilot.  He'll be giddy with it.

Ah fair enough! My dad's an accountant (yawn!) so no cool job related opportunities there. 

33 Classes to go.  One lone class last night.

Walked into class last night and the instructor informed me that she had spoken to Sensei, and now we are having a Show-and-Tell Potluck after class on Saturday.  Mainly to talk with people who didn't get to go and maybe show off some techniques we learned.  Super short notice, but Saturdays are fairly well populated.  Hopefully people bring food.  Maybe I'll try to make the Swedish meatballs I liked so much in Japan and bring those.  Also means I'm going to be a bit late with my intended plans to help raptron and her husband move.  Sorry raptron!!

No sheiko practice last night because my leg/knees are bothering me.  Need to do more mobility work.

Get to relax a bit tonight.  And I didn't go to the gym this morning because my body is still sore.  Stupid body.

One more done than you had before. :)

Also, maybe the potluck will help your bros not be so salty about not going on the trip or elsewise help to settle them down. It's a hope.

Anyway, bodies do as bodies gonna do. Probably a good night to do mobility work, if you have the energy for it.

One more done than you had before. :)

Also, maybe the potluck will help your bros not be so salty about not going on the trip or elsewise help to settle them down. It's a hope.

Anyway, bodies do as bodies gonna do. Probably a good night to do mobility work, if you have the energy for it.

True dat, true dat.

Potluck was fun.  Saturday after class we set up the TV in the dojo waiting area to do slideshows of photos while we at and talked.  Before I ate I showed two of the more senior guys stuff from Iwama.  I also copied my notes from my journal and hung them up in class for people to see.  It was really fun to show people the different techniques/style, especially since I feel like I can apply most of the stuff I learned at Iwama into our/my style.

Yeeaaa.... mobility work.  I really need to get into it more.  I kinda spent all last week still jetlagged.  Better now, but Company arrives tomorrow night.  Soooo.......  Well, she'll probably yell at me to mobilize, actually.  We'll see what happens.

cliparti1_square-clip-art_10.jpg

I left you a box for your food pron.

You in fact left me a broken link.

Week 1 Update:

Week one went okay.  I haven't done any reading on Supple Leopard, because I kept getting distracted.  Plus side, the distractions were mostly Adult Tasks.  Cleaning the apartment, putting away things from the trip, getting gifts for Fathers Day, and a more impromptu one sewing an bedrest pillow that had been spilling its guts out for some time now (not a pretty sew job, but I'm rusty and the pillow and the gaping hole was awkward).  Also ended up taking a very nice walk to Davis Square yesterday (~1.5 miles from my house) to go see Mad Max, and then another walk back to home with a stop at the liquor store to grab some wine.  It was a beautiful day yesterday, so the walk really helped clear my head out.  Plus I spent the morning reading a book, and when I got back from the movie read a bit more.  And then fell asleep in my back yard.  I slept a lot this weekend, much more than I usually do.  Clearly I was/am still fighting the jetlag. 

Classes weren't super numerous this week.  From Monday to Saturday I did 5 classes (MTWS), and did sheiko practice on 3/4 days.  I need to keep more even.  So I think right now  I need to work on keeping level at a higher level than I want to be, get level, and then slowly drop my center down.  I won't be pretty or smooth anytime soon, but the instructors who have seen me practice have approved.  So at least on the right track.  Like I said, after Saturday's class we had the potluck and it was great.  Then I went and helped Raptron and her husband move to their new apartment - which is down the street from me.  So regular shenanagins should happen, I hope.  Ideas were tossed around about a regularly scheduled game night.  Like, an in-the-calendar event.  Craziness.

Anyway, Sunday I opted to sleep and skip the 10AM class I normally go to.  Or rather, I woke up late (9:30 - even TinMan thought I just shut my door and left) and decided not to spend my Sunday morning running around feeling rushed.  Very glad I did that.  I was thinking of going to my 11AM class, but I was too comfortable reading and drinking coffee to bother.  It was nice, especially since I really left Saturday morning at 10 and didn't get home until almost 10 at night.  Means I have 30 classes to go (or 29, can't remember).

Otherwise, that's it for this challenge.  Trying to sort a few other tidbits in my life right now, too, though it's not challenge related.  Hopefully going to get back to the gym and lifting again this week/next week.  Been a month since I lifted.  Bad things will happen.

Okay, week 2.  Here we go.

So nice that your senseis appreciate you. They are amazingly tolerant of rude behavior by Goober and the new guy in the dojo. I think my sensei would be having a private talk with anyone who acted like that. I completely understand why you are happy about the two jerks avoiding you.

Does your area have friendship seminars? These are ones where several instructors from different styles of aikido are invited to teach so that the students can all meet each other. They seem to be encouraging positive interactions in my part of the midwest.

Sounds like doing stairs with a rucksack on Wednesday was just a warmup for the real event on Saturday. :)  I'm glad you have more Nerds nearby to socialize with.

Thank youuuuu again for helping us move on Saturday. I know you really just wanted to do more stairs last week. 

Sounds like a really nice Sunday. :)

Glad I could help!  And that Hubtron gave me experience points.  We really do need to start a semi-regular game night, me thinks.

So nice that your senseis appreciate you. They are amazingly tolerant of rude behavior by Goober and the new guy in the dojo. I think my sensei would be having a private talk with anyone who acted like that. I completely understand why you are happy about the two jerks avoiding you.

Does your area have friendship seminars? These are ones where several instructors from different styles of aikido are invited to teach so that the students can all meet each other. They seem to be encouraging positive interactions in my part of the midwest.

Sounds like doing stairs with a rucksack on Wednesday was just a warmup for the real event on Saturday. :)  I'm glad you have more Nerds nearby to socialize with.

I mean, yea, Big Goober (because I do have just a Goober) is an ass.  The other guy I can understand why he was annoyed, but at the same time when the people next to you are clearly teasing there's no need to explode.  And not only that, if you're new to a dojo I kinda think you're best bet is wait and see the personalities and see how people are. (And can I also point out that a fast moving yokomenuchi kotegashi SHOULD move in circle and not stay linear, since that's the easiest way to redirect the energy?  So yes, we took a lot of space, but hell what else are you supposed to do with fast moving techniques?  This ain't meditative Tai Chi...  Sorry, I'll get off the soap box now.)

We don't seem to have friendship seminars.  One of the things I kind of want to do is reach out to other area dojos to get more seminar attendance in general.  Unfortunately, I don't know many dojos, and our seminar infor distribution web seems.... very small and lacking.  Not that we have a lot of space, but we definitely could use some more attendees to our things.  If only from a financial stand point.  But I'm at least now at the point where I know a few people here and there at different dojos, so I think I can start pulling some information along.  We shall see.  We have our annual seminar October 17-18 this year, so hopefully I can give more input.

And yea.  Ruck-centric pushups killed my shoulders though - my rotator cuff is still wonky.  Been trying to get some nice stretching in during class when I get pinned, and that's helped a bit. 

As for Nerds, I full accept that I am spoiled by the number of local Nerds I can easily see without excessive travel.

Challenge stuff:

Monday and Tuesday were meh for the challenge.  One class on each day, and no sheiko.  My wonky knee, the one that was swollen and I had a bunch of medical things done to look at it, seems to be shrinking/reducing inflammation.  But, there was a fluid filled cyst/capsule/mass that is in the area.  That still exists, and now is moving all around the area when I flex my legs/muscles.  Continuing the weird trend, it doesn't hurt, it just feel weird.  Not quite to the level where it's impacting my ability to do work, but I'm just much more aware of it now than I was a few months ago. 

Also yesterday I was just freaking exhausted.  I woke up to hit the gym for the first time in a month, had a dull day at work, didn't eat much, and then had class.  And to top it all off Company's flight was delayed so she got in much later than anticipated.

Um, adulting-wise.... paid off the credit card since the bill was coming due, as well as paying a chunk of my student loans.  If I can keep the payment at the same level as this month (which I should be able to do), I can finish paying my student loans off in 21 months.  I live like a grad student, but I'd rather live that way now and then have a goodly amount of disposable income later instead of dealing with student loans for the next 10 years.  My big life goal right now is to get those done with, so I feel pretty damn accomplished so far (since I only started paying them regularly in 2012, and that includes a decent stint of unemployment).

Hokay, off to do work now.

Good for you paying off your student loans. My partner still has grad school loans and it limits his choices in unhappy ways. Have fun doing stuff with Company this week! I expect she will keep you honest about working out and make sure you take care of your wonky knee and shoulder.

I feel the same way myself, re: student loans. I don't mind living poor if it means that I can get the things paid off. I'm pretty content living a 9-10 lifestyle, and if I could make 20-30 or so I could have my loans paid off entirely in a year or two at most.

I got it all planned out, but I have to get there first. :P

Good luck, and enjoy your time with Company! Hope the cyst breaks up and you can get back to normal!