• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RisenPhoenix

RisenPhoenix Finds a Way to Harmonize his Energy

Exactly. I know I am going to do what I am going to do, challenge or no challenge. But, I do enjoy the comraderie.

Definitely true.  I find it's actually a lot easier for me to document my aikido musings here, too.  I want to share those experiences with people, and very few outside of NF get either the subject matter or how much of a passion it is for me. (Most people just think I'm exercise crazy these days.)

There's nothing wrong with habit maintenance in order to fulfill the longer-term goals.

You know, since you're a Guild Leader and everything.

Shut your face hole you.... Giant talking Giant.

YOU AREN'T THE BOSS OF ME.

• Like 1

Mhm, I just use challenges to tack on additional things to my workouts that I wasn't really doing a good job of addressing and I find that that format works pretty well. It's just more fun to have a thing than to not have a thing. 

Mhm, I just use challenges to tack on additional things to my workouts that I wasn't really doing a good job of addressing and I find that that format works pretty well. It's just more fun to have a thing than to not have a thing. 

Yea, the problems I have is WHAT do I add to my already busy workouts?  I follow programs at the moment rather than play around (though this time might be different).  Aikido I kinda play around with things, but quantification is kinda hard.  November Project is tricky to add to as well.  But ultimately I'm kind of happy with how these things are across the board.  Which is where my challenge becomes, uh, challenged. >.<

Less adding on then, but perhaps focused efforts at the things you already do? Something like "I want to bring my rucksack to NP 3x this challenge" or "trying sprinting half the time at NP" or "work on particular skill 'x' more often at aikido." Also "follow volume program for lifting 2x week" is a goal, and would technically be new. ;)

• Like 2

Noting that lack of a You Day to Hide as well.  Get on that in the interim?

Work on mental things like reading and ^^^  taking time to yourself?  Meditation?  New recipes?

7FG speaks wisdom. Gigantic wisdom, which counts for, like, three people's worth of wise, at least. That's what I got out of Narnia, anyway.

Anyway, feel you on the aikido front. Everyone wants the work done, but doing the work is something else again. I guess they're waiting for the harmony of the universe to drop a new shower and such on the dojo, which, hey, you never know, could happen.

You successfully adulted and did a lot of things. I suspect you're in a better place than it feels like.

Also, for Supple Leopard - that probably works best as something you bring out on a case-by-case basis. Full reading is probably something that should be saved for coaches and Crossfitters and personal trainers *looks around awkwardly*

Maybe a good goal for next time is to set aside a little money each paycheck until you have enough to cover your expenses? I know that worked for me when I came up to visit you guys. Maybe it can work for you too.

Good job. Onward and upward.

• Like 1

Less adding on then, but perhaps focused efforts at the things you already do? Something like "I want to bring my rucksack to NP 3x this challenge" or "trying sprinting half the time at NP" or "work on particular skill 'x' more often at aikido." Also "follow volume program for lifting 2x week" is a goal, and would technically be new. ;)

Hmmm....

Maybe I should mine the long term goals from the start of my Battle Log and see what is actually doable in the next 6 weeks.... Hmmmm....

Noting that lack of a You Day to Hide as well.  Get on that in the interim?

Work on mental things like reading and ^^^  taking time to yourself?  Meditation?  New recipes?

I'd like to, but I doubt it'll happen.  This weekend is already packed.  Next weekend is possible, as long as I hit the dojo on Saturday.  Though with testing coming so soon I might end up getting stressed trying to take as much mat time as possible.

And yea, mental things are possible.  I may try to add in a time table where I use the hour or so before aikido on Monday-Wednesday to do something productive.  Too bad the dojo doesn't have internet....  That would make my life SO MUCH EASIER. (Then I would take my computer there all the time and do work while waiting for the class to start.)  But maybe remembering to bring my kindle to read before class.  Or maybe dual wield my computer and phone to do job applications.  Herm.

7FG speaks wisdom. Gigantic wisdom, which counts for, like, three people's worth of wise, at least. That's what I got out of Narnia, anyway.

Anyway, feel you on the aikido front. Everyone wants the work done, but doing the work is something else again. I guess they're waiting for the harmony of the universe to drop a new shower and such on the dojo, which, hey, you never know, could happen.

You successfully adulted and did a lot of things. I suspect you're in a better place than it feels like.

Also, for Supple Leopard - that probably works best as something you bring out on a case-by-case basis. Full reading is probably something that should be saved for coaches and Crossfitters and personal trainers *looks around awkwardly*

Maybe a good goal for next time is to set aside a little money each paycheck until you have enough to cover your expenses? I know that worked for me when I came up to visit you guys. Maybe it can work for you too.

Good job. Onward and upward.

Plus side about the aikido stuff, we need about $600 and we're already half way there.  I'll probably toss in $50 or so, too.  People are moving on things, but yea, money and fundraising needs to happen sooner rather than later.  Apparently when we started the dojo we had ~15k in the bank.  No where near that now.

I did successfully adult, I suppose.  I know I left a lot of that list that got done.  But I think I need a smaller, more focused list.  Top things needed to get accomplished and what not.  We shall see.

Supple Leopard is interesting, but yea, I agree.  I'm definitely not the target demographic for it.  That being said, we have a PT guy who'll be starting to practice at the dojo soon.  I've been told if I hang out with him and his girlfriend I get 1) free PT/assessments and 2) Boardgames.  Yea.  I need to actually take them up on the offer soon.

Yea, a bit per paycheck put away would be wise.  I think I should re-budget myself.  I know my food costs have gone up lately, so I should try and re-evaluate everything.  I still have my ultimate goal of finishing my student loans in ~2 years, and I'd like to keep it that way for now.  But I may have to alter my plans given how much travel I have planned in the next few months.  Between Company coming in soon (huzzah!) to see my exam (double huzzah!) and then a wedding in October, plus visiting the Jerkface Giant for his Nidan exam.... the money is pretty much required to be pulled out of the student loan funds.  Bummer, but also why I'm looking for a new job. (And in the end, I'm looking for a higher salary that really once I'm done with student loans I have no idea what I'll do with it. O_o I grew up a Scrooge McDuck.  Spending money is hard for me.)

• Like 1

Yea, the problems I have is WHAT do I add to my already busy workouts?  I follow programs at the moment rather than play around (though this time might be different).  Aikido I kinda play around with things, but quantification is kinda hard.  November Project is tricky to add to as well.  But ultimately I'm kind of happy with how these things are across the board.  Which is where my challenge becomes, uh, challenged. >.<

Maybe the key here is not to add something in the next challenge, but take something away? This can mean letting go of some of your extraneous activities, or focusing on basics, rather than learning new techniques...something like that? Sometimes less is more :)

Whether you decide to do a challenge next month or not, keep up the great work and keep pushing yourself forward!

Let's see, you got back from Japan, did a bunch of extra aikido with Sempai to get ready for tests, started lifting again after a travel-and-injury break, did Stairs, managed to lose weight even with travel and visits and did adult things.

Next challenge you have a test, another visit from Company, and more job hunting. Just staying sane through that would be challenge enough for most people. Balancing all the things you do and stress management as a goal?

Whatever you decide, I want to hear more about your aikido ramblings. :D

• Like 2

Maybe the key here is not to add something in the next challenge, but take something away? This can mean letting go of some of your extraneous activities, or focusing on basics, rather than learning new techniques...something like that? Sometimes less is more :)

Whether you decide to do a challenge next month or not, keep up the great work and keep pushing yourself forward!

Herm.  I wonder what I do that classifies as extraneous though... >.<

I think I need to make a proper schedule up at this point.

Thanks for stopping by!  I'm sorry I didn't harass you as much as I wanted to!  I'll stalk you next challenge, too! (I still need that in-armor photo, by the way.)

Let's see, you got back from Japan, did a bunch of extra aikido with Sempai to get ready for tests, started lifting again after a travel-and-injury break, did Stairs, managed to lose weight even with travel and visits and did adult things.

Next challenge you have a test, another visit from Company, and more job hunting. Just staying sane through that would be challenge enough for most people. Balancing all the things you do and stress management as a goal?

Whatever you decide, I want to hear more about your aikido ramblings. :D

Yea, I guess when you put it that way I did do a bunch this challenge.

The stress management goal sounds good.  A self-care challenge would probably be wise.  Things as of late have been coming to a head with stress, so that might be something to tackle.

And I'm glad you like my aikido ramblings.  I assure you those will be sticking around. :)

• Like 1