Excited for This First Challenge - jrosto

jrosto

Greetings and Salutations;

I am JR, and I am very excited to be part of this 6 Week Challenge. A 6 week challenge seems like an awesome idea. It's not too long so people get board and fall out, yet it is long enough that participants can achieve pretty significant goals. I am glad I found Nerd Fitness, and ready to meet this challenge.

A bit about me. Last May I was an obese man, not just overweight but pretty fat. I was also pretty sick. I had an incurable lung disease called Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF), and it was killing me. I was on oxygen 24/7, and high flow oxygen whenever I exerted myself. My disease was progressing rapidly and my only real hope at life was a lung transplant. Only problem was I was too fat to get on the transplant list. So on May 5th of last year I started following the Primal Blueprint. By October I had lost enough weight to be evaluated by the transplant team, and I was listed in November. On December 31st we received the call to come into the hospital, and early January 1st I received a bilateral lung transplant. I am still following the Primal Blueprint and am recovering from the procedure very nicely. The transplant team is very impressed with my progress.

I do still have some physical limitations to what exercises I can do. It takes a while for the chest to fully heal from the procedure. They split the chest and open you up like a clam shell. I have been released for most exercises, but I can not yet start on pull ups, but a pull up is my major quest so dumbbell rows will work for now :)

Main Quest for 2015: Do a pull up all the way to my transplant scar.

Main Quest for This Six Week Challenge: Do three full sets, in good form, of the Nerd Fitness Beginner Body Weight Workout.

SMART Quests:

1. NF Body Weight Workout: Perform this workout three times per week. Maintain good form and increase reps each time. Submit a video of my squats and lunges to the Form Check Forum by 6/15.

Grading my success by the end of the six weeks.

A = Complete 3 full, and in good form, sets of the workout.

C = Complete 2 full, and in good form, sets of the workout.

F = Completing less than 2 full sets.

Beginner Squat Challenge: Complete the MyFitnessPal 28 Day Squat Challenge.

A = 100% participation with 100% effort.

B = 90% participation with 100% effort

C = 80% participation with 100% effort

F= less than 80% participation

30 Day Plank Challenge: Complete the MyFItnessPal 30 Day Plank Challenge.

A = 100% participation with 100% effort.

B = 90% participation with 100% effort

C = 80% participation with 100% effort

F= less than 80% participation

Life Quest: I would really like to develop a body worthy of a "Vanity Pic". That would be pretty awesome. I also want to help people with IPF learn about how nutrition and exercise can improve their symptoms and help them to prepare for transplant.

Reward for Successful Completion of This Challenge:

When I achieve three A's during this challenge, I will join my Sweetie for a couples massage. It has been years since I've had a good massage.

• Like 7

Barbarian Assassin / Level 5

STR: 16.5 | DEX: 4.8 | STA: 8.9 | CON: 8.7 | WIS: 6.6 | CHA: 6.8

My Current Six Week Challenge - Jrosto - A Barbarian Cleans Up His Act

Previous Challenges - #1, #2, #3, #4

My NF Introduction Post : My MDA Journal : My MDA Phase 1 Success Story

Simple & Sinister Workout Log

Keep Calm and Send in the Penguins!

Current progress on the 3 SMART Challenges:

NF Body Weight Workout - I can do 1 set of the following:

Squats - 20 squats to a chair.

Push Ups - 15 push ups off of the kitchen counter.  I have only recently been released to work on push ups.

Lunge - 10 lunges each leg.  I am weak on form and I have to have a hand on the counter for many of them.

Dumbbell Rows - 10 each arm with a full 1 gallon anti freeze bottle.

Plank - Four 30 Second Planks

Jumping Jacks - 18.  Yeah, that really is poor.  This was my third day doing this workout.  The first day I could only accomplish 10 JJ's so 18 is an improvement :)

Today is Day 5 of the Plank and Squat challenges.

• Like 2

I forgot to mention my motivation.

Motivation: I have to honor the family that gave me the gift of these lungs.  On what is most likely the worst day of their lives they made the decision to help others.  Words cannot express just how much my family and I appreciate this gift. They gave us a future.

I need to take care of these lungs and this body to the very best of my ability.

• Like 6

Your goals all look good and with the determination you showed to lose weight to get the operation and the motivation of honoring your donars gift, I think you'll do great.

I know you said that you aren't in the position to be able to work on pull-ups yet, but here is an accountability group based around everyone improving their pull-ups:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/66159-the-great-pull-up-quest-of-2015/

You might not be able to join in just yet, but you might be able to pick up some tips (once we all get started) that might help you when you can start working.

Welcome and good luck.

Level - 3               Race - Vampire               Class - Assassin

STR 6 | DEX 7 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 3 | CHA 6

Weight loss ( Highest weight 224lb / Current weight 186.0lb / Goal weight 175lb )

77.6%
77.6%

Current challenge

Battle log

Previous challenges = 2 , 1

Wow that is a fantastic story!  I love that you found so much success through diet!  I happen to do the BW L1 workout 3 days a week right now.  It's a fantastic assortment of movements and you should see awesome success with it. 

If your lunges aren't fantastic yet don't be affraid to try split squats or assisted split squats.  They'll still rip you up but you have a lot more control over form.  I am currently recuperating from a knee injury from bad form on lunges so I'm super sensative to form on this one, lol.  Also, if you can't finish the 30 perscribed jumping jacks maybe try finishing with star steps or another modified move, that way you can check that box that you completed the rep.  That always helps me gain momentum. 

I can't wait to see your progress and how strong you get!  (You're already doing awesome going from 10-18 JJ, that's great!)

Thist

Level 1 Human Assassin Warrior Ranger?

Take care of your body, it's the only place you have to live ~ Jim Rohn

Current Challenge

Push Up Progress: 0/7

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your comments and suggestions.  

Completed the Day 5 Plank and Squat challenges today.  30 squats and three side planks.  The planks were to be between 10 and 30 seconds each.  Right side was 30, 30 and 25 seconds.  The left was 30, 21 and 30 seconds.  I alternated sides and averaged about 60 seconds of rest between planks.  My left side is weaker than my right.  I was collapsing at the knees during that second plank. 

• Like 1

Today was a rest day for the Plank challenge and 40 box squats for the Squat challenge.  I completed the squats in pretty much one, slow, set.  I had to stop and catch my breath for a sec a couple of times.  I may have to work on breathing deeper while exercising, not really sure though.  Maybe my body just needs to get more efficient at using the oxygen it is getting :)  I had been sick for so long that I had to reteach myself how to breathe normally after my transplant.  I may still need some more work in that area.

Using a full anti-freeze bottle for my dumbbell rows has been getting too easy so I purchased a 15 lb kettlebell.  I did a set today just to check it out.  That's just what I needed to push me and get me closer to my pull up goal.

This is Day 7 of my Plank and Squat challenges.  It's a rest day for squats, and a test day for the planks.  On Day 1 I could hold a good plank for 40 seconds.  Today I held a good plank for 95 seconds.  Feeling pretty good about that little success :)

Read a good article on breathing today that I thought I'd share: Breathing, it's For Everyone!  I think the advice given in this article will help with my squat form.

I'm really looking forward to the start of this 6 Week Challenge.  Bring on the Mini Quests!

• Like 1

Day 1 of the Six Week Challenge.  I am pumped!

SMART Quest Accomplishments for today:

NF Body Weight Workout:  Did one circuit of the workout.  The squats and planks were as per the challenges below, but in the order of the BWW.  I did 10 push-ups from the kitchen counter, 10 slow lunges with each leg, 10 dumbbell rows with a 15 lb kettlebell, and 20 jumping jacks.  For some reason the jumping jacks kick my rear.  I had to touch a support during the lunges to keep my balance.  I'm working hard on good form.  For some reason the lunges feel like a strange move to me, but I am improving.

Beginner Squat Challenge:  Completed Day 8 of the squat challenge. Today's goal was 30 prisoner box squats.  I did these in two sets (20 - 10) to a kitchen chair.  

30 Day Plank Challenge:  Completed Day 8 of the plank challenge.  Today's goal was to complete 5 planks of a 15 to 35 second duration with a max 45 seconds of rest between planks.  I completed three 35 second and two 25 second planks with 45 second rests between planks.

So far, so good.  I am on track for success :)

Now to get started on this weeks mini quest.  I see I have some work to do with my goal setting.

Mini Quest #1: Make sure your goals are definitely SMART.

Is my overall quest reasonable and achievable?  

My quest for 2015 is to do a pull up all the way to my transplant scar.  My scar goes from armpit to armpit mid-chest.  Chest to bar pull ups are doable.  Doing one is a heck of a goal for someone who has not been released by the transplant team to work on pull ups.  The first step towards a pull up though is a dumbbell row, and I can work on those.  It will be one tough quest, but what bard sings about the knight who slayed a sheep?

My quest for this 6 week challenge is to be able to do 3 sets, in good form, of the NF Beginner Bodyweight Workout.  Another tough challenge, but yes I do believe it is reasonable and achievable.  This quest also should help my achieve my goal for 2015.

Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? 

Right this minute, as I sit here recovering from today's workout, I'm thinking "What the heck did I commit to?".  But 5 months ago I could barely walk from the couch to my bed.  Now I can easily walk for an hour and a half in small hills.  I think all fo these quests do contribute towards my life quest of having a vanity pic worthy body ( in other words looking good nekid )

Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?

This depends on when the transplant team releases me to work on pull ups.  If I'm not released by the end of June, I may have to adjust my goal for 2015 to just being able to do pull ups period and save the chest to bar goal for next year.  

If you think I am biting off a bit too much, please let me know.

Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them?

My quests for this 6 week challenge, and my 2015 goal are easily measurable and can be tracked.  I will use this post to track my daily workouts.

To ensure I am using good form, I will post a vid of my squats and lunges on the Form Check section.  I will do this on Day 15 of the squat challenge (first day of air squats)

My life quest is purely subjective, I know.  I do have an image in my mind of what success will look like and I have a ways to go to get there.  This goal does help to drive my determination to complete the smaller quests.  I also think it's a better goal than "Beat the odds and still be alive in X years."  This one is more fun to think about :)

How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?

I had not thought about grading my progress and my goals.  My initial gut reaction is that they are pass/fail.  Either I do it or I don't.  Thinking about it now, I could grade the quests a little better than pass/fail.  I will edit my initial post with a grading system this evening.

I will have to think about a nice reward :)  I'll add it to my first post this evening.

What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?

​Now this is a real possibility for me.  I do not have an immune system (those pesky anti-rejection drugs) and can easily end up back in the hospital.  My plan if that happens is to continue on as best as my body will allow.  All of these exercises are bodyweight and can be done anywhere.  I also have resistance bands that I used during my initial recovery that I can use in the hospital.  

Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?

Yes.  They are bodyweight exercises and do not take up much time.  Holidays should not interfere with my plan.

Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? 

No.

Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  

Yes.

Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest?

I am trying to build habits of exercising and staying fit.  I do believe this all ties into my main quest.

So what do you think?  Are my quests SMART?

• Like 2

Day 2 of the Six Week Challenge.  Continuing the journey.

NF Body Weight Workout:  Rest day.

Beginner Squat Challenge:  Completed Day 9 of the squat challenge. Today's goal was 40 prisoner box squats.  I did these in three sets (20 - 10 - 10) to a kitchen chair.  I videoed the first set and feel I'm still leaning a little forward at times.

30 Day Plank Challenge:  Completed Day 9 of the plank challenge.  Today's goal was to complete 4 side planks on each side, 15 to 35 seconds per plank with a max 45 seconds of rest between planks.  On the right side I completed 25 - 25 - 20 - 20 second planks with 45 second rests between planks.  On the left side I completed 25 - 25 - 30 - 20 with the same 45 seconds of rest.  Last time I did the side planks I felt that my right side was stronger, this time it was the left.  Maybe I'll balance out by the end of the challenge :)

Day 2 and I'm feeling great.  I'm enjoying reading along with the other first timers, quite an inspiring lot you all are.

I am amazed and inspired by your story...following along for your first challenge...

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Day 3 of the Six Week Challenge.  Keeping on track

NF Body Weight Workout:  Today is a rest day for the Beginner Squat Challenge, so I did my NF BWW without squats or lunges to allow those muscle groups to recover.  I did two circuits of the workout doing the planks during the first set as listed below.  Each set included 10 push ups from the kitchen counter and 10 dumbbell rows with a 15 lb kettlebell.  The first set included 25 jumping jacks, and the second 20.  Continued improvement :)

Beginner Squat Challenge:  Rest day.

30 Day Plank Challenge:  Completed Day 10 of the plank challenge.  Today's goal was to complete 6 planks, 20 to 40 seconds per plank with a max 60 seconds of rest between planks.  I completed six 40 second planks with 55 seconds of rest between all but the last plank.  I rested 60 seconds before the last plank.

The last couple planks were difficult.  I was shaking, but able to keep my form.  I am very happy with my progress so far, but I know there is lots of room for improvement.  Outside of increasing reps and sets, my next big step is to do the push ups from a lower incline.  I think a kitchen chair is the next step.

Another thing I've been working on is a full squat.  I am comfortable in the squat, I just can't get my heels on the ground.  My ankles just don't bend that way anymore.  I work on it every day with stretches and sitting in the squat while working on my garden or getting something out of low cupboards.  I'll get there.  I just mention this because something cool happened today.  I was able to stand from this full squat without any assistance today.  I decided to give it a try without really expecting to succeed, and I stood right up.  Surprised the heck out of me.  It has been years since I've been able to do that.  <insert happy dance here>

Redeaglespirit -  Thanks for dropping in, I appreciate it :) 

• Like 1

Day 4 of the Six Week Challenge.  Movin' and groovin' 

Beginner Squat Challenge:  Completed Day 11 of the squat challenge.  Today's goal was 30 prisoner box squats. I completed the 30 box squats in one set.  I kept my core tight and that really helped my form.  My head did get a little far forward during the last couple of reps, but not as far as when I first started.  I did a couple of lunges following the squats just to work on form.  I still need a little help with balance when I do a full lung (dropping my knee to the floor). 

30 Day Plank Challenge:  Rest day.

I was thinking that I should synchronize the rest days so I could have a full rest day for all muscle groups, but following the schedule and modifying the NF BWW as necessary seems to be working.  I'm making gains and am not excessively sore.  Checking the schedule I will have a full rest day on Day 17, looking forward to it :)

• Like 2

Day 5 of the Six Week Challenge.  Carrying out the Plan of the Day.

Beginner Squat Challenge:  Completed Day 12 of the squat challenge.  Today's goal was 40 prisoner box squats. I completed the 40 box squats in one set.  I did have to stop a couple of times to catch my breath, but they were quick and I got right back to it.  

30 Day Plank Challenge:  Completed Day 12 of the plank challenge.  Today's challenge included multiple goals.  

First was to complete 4 planks, 25 to 45 seconds per plank with a max 60 seconds of rest between planks.  I completed three 45 second planks and one 35 second plank  with 55 seconds of rest between all but the last plank.  I rested 60 seconds before the last plank.  

Next was to complete 3 side planks on each side, 20 to 40 seconds per plank with a max 60 seconds of rest between planks.  On the right side I completed 30 - 40 - 25 second planks with 55 second rests between planks.  On the left side I completed 30 - 35 - 25 with the same 55 seconds of rest.

It's been a good day.  Mowed, edged and cleaned up the front yard earlier today, then my challenge workouts this afternoon.  I couldn't do yard work at all last year and I'm really enjoying being able to get out there again.  These new lungs are just plain awesome (I seem to be using that word a lot lately).  

We had one of our granddaughters over at the house last night.  When she started getting bored, I had her show me different exercises that she does at school and karate class.  She's 10 years old.  When she does squats she can touch her rear to the floor and keep her feet flat on the floor.  Just up down, up down, up down easy peasy.  She's really interested in fitness and even ran a Tough Mudder earlier this year.  She does eat wayyyyyy too much sugar though.  Papa John's working on that :)

Day 6 of the Six Week Challenge.  A successful Saturday

NF Body Weight Workout: Today is a rest day for the Plank Challenge, so I did my NF BWW without planks to allow that muscle group to recover.  I did two circuits of the workout doing the squats as listed below.  Each set included 10 push ups from the foot board of my bed.  The foot board is about 5" lower than the kitchen counter.  I decided to do the lunges without assistance today.  I was able to do 10 in the first set, but only 3 with good form in the second.  I did 15 dumbbell rows with a 15 lb kettlebell in the first set, and 10 rows in the second.  I did 25 jumping jacks in each set.    

Beginner Squat Challenge:  Completed Day 13 of the squat challenge.  Today's goal was 50 prisoner box squats. I completed this in two sets. One set of 30 and one of 20.  The second set was rough  I did have to stop a couple of times to catch my breath, but they were quick and I got right back to it.  

30 Day Plank Challenge:  Rest  

Happy Saturday everyone.  I hope you are having a wonderful, successful, and healthy weekend.

• Like 1

Day 7 of the Six Week Challenge.  Week 1 is In The Books!

NF Body Weight Workout: Rest day.    

Beginner Squat Challenge:  Rest day.

30 Day Plank Challenge:  Completed Day 13 of the plank challenge.  Today was a test day. "How long can you plank with good form?".  I was able to hold my plank for 2 mins 5 secs.  125 seconds is pretty cool, a 30 second improvement over the last test day.

I feel this was a successful Week 1.  I completed the Recruit Mini Challenge, three NF Beginner Bodyweight Workouts, and each day of the Squat and Plank challenges.  My primal eating plan was also on point.  I check my macros on Mondays to make sure developing any bad habits and I'll post those for the week tomorrow.

I really enjoy reading everyone's challenge posts.  Following other successes and struggles really helps keep me motivated.

Off to Week 2.  Have an awesome and successful week everyone. 

• Like 3

Thanks hennahead, I appreciate your kind comment.

I mentioned that I would post a vid of my squats in the "Form Check" forum.  I committed to do this tomorrow, but decided to do it today instead.  It is done :)

And yep, my form needs some work.  My knees are going all over the place at the bottom of the squat.  I have not noticed any knee pain, yet.  Hopefully the good folks that have helped others will have some good advice for me.

• Like 1

I have the same issues with my knees in squats! The only thing I've found that helps me is look up, go sloooow as you can when lowering down and actively "push" your knees out. It looks like you are doing a great job of keeping your weight in your heels! I'm sure you will be awesome at squats by the end of the 6 weeks. keep up the good work!

Centaur Recruit/N00b

Aspiring Warrior/ Scout

LVL 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

My current challenge: And So, Our Story Begins!

Find me on: MyFitnessPal

Thanks megtro610, I'll work on concentrating on my knees more.  Who'd of thought that something that should be as easy as a squat would take so much concentration to accomplish after you allow yourself to get out of shape?  

I'll post another vid this coming weekend to show any imporviement :)

Day 8 of the Six Week Challenge.  Just another Manic Monday

NF Body Weight Workout: I did two circuits of the workout doing the squats and planks as listed below.  Each set included 12 push ups from the foot board of my bed.  I was able to do 10 lunges in the first set, and 6 with good form in the second.  I did 15 dumbbell rows with a 15 lb kettlebell in the first set, and 10 rows in the second.  I did 28 jumping jacks in the first set and 25 in the second.    

Beginner Squat Challenge:  Completed Day 15 of the squat challenge.  Today's goal was 20 air squats. I completed this in one set.   

30 Day Plank Challenge:   Completed Day 15 of the plank challenge.  Today's challenge included multiple goals.  

First was to complete 5 planks, 30 to 50 seconds per plank with a max 45 seconds of rest between planks.  My planks were 50 - 40 - 30 - 35 - 30 second planks  with 45 seconds of rest between each plank.   Completed in the first set of the NF BBWW.

Next was to complete 5 side planks on each side, 25 to 45 seconds per plank with a max 45 seconds of rest between planks.  On the right side I completed 15 - 25 - 20 - 20 - 20 second planks with a 45 second rest between planks.  On the left side I completed 25 - 25 - 25 - 20 - 15 second planks with the same 45 seconds of rest.  Completed this in the second set of the NF BBWW.

I did the squats facing a wall, with my hands up and touching the wall as recommended by @BaconHunter in my Form Check post.  I also concentrated on keeping my knees out like you mentioned @megtro610 and I think my form was much better.  I think I also improved on the depth of my squat.  I feel a good burn in my shin muscles, but I think that may be more from the lunges than the squats.

I am disappointed in today's planks.  I expected a better showing after yesterday's great time with the test.  I'll blame it on mowing the back yard this morning.  Yeah... that's the ticket... :)

We're going to Mississippi at the end of the week to visit with my cousin. It's his birthday and we are going to make a road trip of it with my Mom.  It's our first adventure out of town since my transplant and I am excited to go.  Looking forward to visiting my cousin, eating BBQ at The Shed, and hanging out with my Mom.  

Since my quests all involve bodyweight exercises, I don't expect the trip to interfere with my goals.  Food may be a challenge as I'll eat whatever my cousin's sweetie prepares for us, but I do have a good plan for on the road.  Snacks and mini meals are packed and ready to go.

Week 2 is underway, I can't wait to see what this week's mini quest will be.

• Like 4

Monday Macros

Weight = 161. Weight loss this week = 1 lb. Total weight loss = 90 lbs. Macros for the week = Carb/Fat/Prot - 17/57/26%. Daily avg cals = 1911.

I weigh myself and track my macros on Monday to see how I'm doing and make sure I'm not slipping back into bad habits.  I was a little low on carbs this week so I'll pay closer attention to my carb intake next week.  The cals look low, but I've been between 160 and 164 for over three months now so this has been a good number for me.  I think I'm getting by on less cals than expected because I'm eating nutrient dense foods.  Primal doesn't include a whole lot of empty cals :)

It will be interesting to see how my requirements change as I increase my strength and endurance.  I am expecting to need to increase my cals one of these weeks.  Right now the little fat that remains around my stomach is slowly disappearing and that's pretty great.

• Like 3