Phytomancer Recruits the Nature Spirits

Seriously cracking up at the blood soaked, finger pointing debate description about vegan/vegetarianism being good for you.  I was a vegetarian for ~7 years, flirted with veganism for a long time, and now eat fish again but am mostly vegetarian still, with no dairy... but I do eat eggs (only if they're organic and cage free though).  It took me a really long time to come to a place that I'm comfortable with what I'm putting in my body nutritionally, all the morals of eating meat (factory farming vs humane raised, etc) and how it's affecting the environment.  You can't win em all for sure and I think everyone has to come to their own happy resting place amongst all of those factors.  But I've definitely had experience with people freaking out at me when I was a vegetarian (and I was NOT one of those people who would like try to convince anyone else to follow suit, so totally compeltely uncalled for attacks). And I've seen it the other way around, vegetarians freaking out at people eating meat saying it's going to kill them, or the animal was treated terribly, or whatever, everyone on both sides obviously wants the science to point in their direction.  Hence my chuckling at your description of the debate.  It is really ridiculous how defensive people get about this stuff sometimes, on both sides.  It's such a personal decision I can't imagine everyone freaking out about it is going to help anyone. 

Anywayyyyy.... I am totally loving the tree climbing mini challenge!

I drive by cows that are so bored they chase cars. They are slow and it only lasts a few strides/gallops, but it is funny. They also will have a huge field of tall grass but focus on the trees outside the fence that they eat so much that they will not have shade on hot days. 

On the other hand the calculations of how much water does into a kilo of beef is staggering compared to other food products.

I'm mostly given up on food considerations from a moral perspective though, as studies on plants being able to feel arise and knowing that there are religions that prohibit the consumption of root vegetables because eating those kills the plant. Kosher and Halal suggest that milk + beef is immoral because you could be eating the milk and the baby it was intended for at once (unlikely in current farming methods with how separated industries are) but eggs and chicken is fine. 

• Like 2

Ooh, green roofs are awesome - your adventure sounds great!

I'm also thinking about / trying to at least reduce my meat consumption, mostly because of the issues with how animals are treated in big commercial facilities. I need to look more for some local free-range stuff!

I think this is a big part of it too. Free range meat are incredibly expensive ($6.99 for half a pound of Chicken,) so it's an incredible luxury. I almost think about culling deer myself. Good for the environment, and I believe I'd be so sad doing it that I probably just stop eating meat all together.

If not, deer is delicious.

Looks great! I especially like the tree-climbing bit!

giphy.gif

That's extremely cute!!

Yeah, it sucks that all of us who want to eat better and more naturally get into these big arguments. do what feels right to you, regardless of ideal evolutionary whatever. To my mind, being mindful about where your meat comes from, if you choose to eat meat, has to be better than not.

I agree. There is even a debate about it called 'Caveman or Vegan.' Lasts an hour. Haven't seen it yet.

GIF-Climbing-Bear.gif

(This is what happens when you spend too much time on Peachy's challenge thread)

I can't bear it, to be completely honest. :P

• Like 2

I like your challenge, the goals and format.

Subscribing

Thanks. Sorry for slow replies. :)

Seriously cracking up at the blood soaked, finger pointing debate description about vegan/vegetarianism being good for you.  I was a vegetarian for ~7 years, flirted with veganism for a long time, and now eat fish again but am mostly vegetarian still, with no dairy... but I do eat eggs (only if they're organic and cage free though).  It took me a really long time to come to a place that I'm comfortable with what I'm putting in my body nutritionally, all the morals of eating meat (factory farming vs humane raised, etc) and how it's affecting the environment.  You can't win em all for sure and I think everyone has to come to their own happy resting place amongst all of those factors.  But I've definitely had experience with people freaking out at me when I was a vegetarian (and I was NOT one of those people who would like try to convince anyone else to follow suit, so totally compeltely uncalled for attacks). And I've seen it the other way around, vegetarians freaking out at people eating meat saying it's going to kill them, or the animal was treated terribly, or whatever, everyone on both sides obviously wants the science to point in their direction.  Hence my chuckling at your description of the debate.  It is really ridiculous how defensive people get about this stuff sometimes, on both sides.  It's such a personal decision I can't imagine everyone freaking out about it is going to help anyone. 

Anywayyyyy.... I am totally loving the tree climbing mini challenge!

I think the extreme debate comes down to people feeling insecure about their diet. On one side, the vegan feel like they are a minority, which they are, and they have to defend their POV-- which comes off as preachy (I am soooo moral for being vegan). The meat eaters feel like their lifestyle is criticized (Don't take away my bacon.) Thus these debates become emotional.

I'd love the fact, though, and after sifting through all the evidence, I feel like you should probably cut meat and diary down from modern American diet to a certain point, but not getting rid of it all together. However, that certain point is hard to calibrate- I'm not a nutritionist, so this is up for further consideration.

I am also a lactose intolerant who like baked goods. Uhh.

Not sure if everyone uses the same software to look at this site (phones vs. computer web browsers). When I click "go to first unread message", sometimes it messes up and skips a lot of stuff. This is the first thing I saw today...I had missed the reference and had to go back...I thought you actually got into a literal blood soaked finder pointing debate with someone!! I guess good thing you didn't (at least not recently).

I'm playing around with reducing meat consumption a little this challenge with the "meatless Mondays." I kind of like it, and I end up skipping meat for more than just Monday because I have leftovers. If you want to cut back, that a really easy way to do it.

I think I will try that a little. Thanks for the suggestion!

Oh gods, that is such a cool challenge theme, and I love the different nature spirits you're invoking so far!

Interested to see which other cultures you'll draw inspiration from next.

I like the 'oh gods,' Rurik, I think we will get along superbly. :)

You do the coolest research!  Have lots of fun getting into places and checking out their roofs :-)

Vegetarian and vegan recipes are pretty great. Though I admittedly frequently throw meat beside them   :nightmare:   Happy researching!  The debates are indeed fierce. 

Haha. Thanks. Now I have to sift through the photographs. :)

I agree with the recipe part. Sometimes I'd eat something vegan and think: Hmm, this taste good, it'd taste better with bacon. 

I drive by cows that are so bored they chase cars. They are slow and it only lasts a few strides/gallops, but it is funny. They also will have a huge field of tall grass but focus on the trees outside the fence that they eat so much that they will not have shade on hot days. 

On the other hand the calculations of how much water does into a kilo of beef is staggering compared to other food products.

I'm mostly given up on food considerations from a moral perspective though, as studies on plants being able to feel arise and knowing that there are religions that prohibit the consumption of root vegetables because eating those kills the plant. Kosher and Halal suggest that milk + beef is immoral because you could be eating the milk and the baby it was intended for at once (unlikely in current farming methods with how separated industries are) but eggs and chicken is fine. 

Cow chasing cars! Cowpocalypse have come!!!

Yup. The moral part is hard to argue-- some of can be peculiar. Health argument is still on the run, but the water and land argument is what got me to start consider eating less meat. 

• Like 1

Sorry for missing several days of posting. I could drag on the excuse, or try to describe my days as colorfully but briefly as possible as my apologies. 

Tuesday: 

The hunt went on, but not as effective. I went to Chicago. The traffic was excruciating at 10 am, and I got stuck inside a car until 2. I entered a building I thought I knew pretty well. It belonged to a governmental organization I have contacted before. I didn't know they changed the policy about their openness to public and followed the intern into a part of the building I wasn't supposed to be in. I was trapped there, and the security siren was blaring everywhere. Pretty embarrassing stuff. 

Then I got stuck in traffic from 4 to 7. 

Breakfast: Bananas

Lunch: (Didn't have lunch until 2pm due to traffic.) Bread, arugula and goat dip, and since I had a bad day, carrot cake. (Poo)

Dinner: Meatloaf

Workout: None- except walking.

Writing: None.

Wednesday:

Wednesday was all about getting life back in order, writing reports and work out. A friend of mine was getting back into town and needed a place to crash, so he stayed with us. 

Breakfast: Banana, apples

Lunch: Meat loaf with veggies

Dinner: Grilled cheese sandwich with red pepper and mushrooms, sweet potatoes

Workout: 100 push ups, 1.8 mi run, 25 pull ups

Writing: 1 hr of creative writing

Thursday: 

Lunch: Leftover meatloaf with spinach

Dinner: Tofu bulgogi and cilantro over noodles

Workout: 2 mi run, 60 push ups, first try climbing trees. Also 2 hours of cycling around for Retention ponds photographs. 

Writing: 2 hr of arranging and selecting study images. 

Friday (Lazy day)

Breakfast: Bananas, bread

Lunch: Yellow curry over steamed broccoli

Dinner: Sushi over Japanese rice, a drumstick, fruits

Workout: Muay Thai- 3 hr

10 pull ups

Warm up with tabata: 8x 20 secs of push ups, bear crawls, and squat. 

Lessons: Triangle walks, circular blocking, and basic grappling. 

Writing: 1.5 hr of creative writing

Saturday

Lunch: Yellow tofu curry over rice, cilantro

Dinner: Ba-Jang-- the traditional Thai-Chinese dish where you wrap sticky rice in bamboo leaves and boil it with toppings. 

A friend just learned how to make a cake for the first time, so I had an obligatory slice. 

Writing:  1 hour of trying to edit paper. 

Workout: Try out for Jujutsu. It was very fun! I get to throw big strong people.

Sunday

I tried climbing the trees today. Researched it for an hour and went to the ark to try it out. Ending up hugging the trees with four limbs and not knowing how to progress. At least I know I have grip strength. :(

Breakfast: Cherries and bananas

Lunch: Leftover Ba-Jangs, fruits

Dinner: Split-pea soup over noodle. 

Writing: 1 hour of creative writing

Workout: Tree-hugging. Sprints,  2 mi jog.

The conclusion will come tonight. 

• Like 2

The hunt went on, but not as effective. I went to Chicago. The traffic was excruciating at 10 am, and I got stuck inside a car until 2.

Then I got stuck in traffic from 4 to 7. 

Ugh, yeah, Chicago is the land of perpetual traffic. It gets pretty horrendous at times.

• Like 1

Lv 1 Wood Elf, 

A New Beginning C1:  A Rough Start, b=But Still a Start

Lv 7 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 15 | DEX: 8 | STA: 12 | CON: 11 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 12

Ugh, yeah, Chicago is the land of perpetual traffic. It gets pretty horrendous at times.

Yes. I remember myself cursing. 10 am! People should be at work! But then the woman in the truck right next to my car probably think the same thing.

You had some adventures! Like the story about following the intern into the forbidden zone. Plus trying someone's first cake, new jujitsu class, and venturing into tree climbing. Sounds like life well-lived.

Haha. It's been a fun week. Not all that productive, but fun indeed.

Conclusion of Week 2

DImension Crossing:

- Write academically: 4/5

- Write creatively: 5/3

[This week is great in term of creative writing, but not really academic.]

- Total: 7/8

Illusion Weaving:

- NoS diet- 6/7. Slipped twice, again, but one S day, so I lost a day here

- Greens: still eat greens everyday 7/7

Total: 13/14

Woodland Embodiment:

- Bodyweight: 3/3

- Jog/Walk/ Hike: 4/2

- Climb/ Hand stand: 2/1

- Muay Thai+Jujutsu: 1/1

Total: 7/7

Extra Challenge:

The Tengus first laughed at me for struggling to get up the trees, but as an hour past, and I still held my spine to the oak, they sighed and accepted to lend me their power. 

Tengu.jpg

"You're not bad, kiddo. Except your core is so filled with weaksauce you might as well be a tumbler."

• Like 1

Week 3: Leanan Sidhe

Sidhe, or hillsfolks is an group of Irish spirits living over the hills according to Gaelic mythos. They have different appearance and power. The most famous one, Bean Sidhe, the fae who warns, is well known under the name Banshee. 

Leanan Sidhe is a spirit found hanging out with a lot of artists. They appear usually in beautiful appearance, coming out of the woods to chat up with people, making them create wonderful arts and achieve the goals.

Tumblr_mudbeaUQo11rdjsp2o1_500.jpg

The catch? Once you get to the ultimate goals, you're giving them your souls. That's why Irish artists live such a short lives after creating wonderful work to the world.

However, as Steve said in several articles, Nerd Fitness is not about the destination. It's about the journey getting there, so Leanan Sidhe would be harmless to us. This particular Sidhe I try to convince, however, want to see how effective I am in inspiring people to achieve their goals.

Mini Challenge

1. Reply to at least 3 NF companions everyday this week (For it is Week 3).

I haven't been responsive all week, so I plan to be reading and responding to people I follow!

2. Dress up for 5 days this week.

Just to go with the theme, and who doesn't want to increase their seductive power a little? Also, I feel that sometimes, dressing for work can inspire me to do real work.

• Like 3

Funny, but true. Some days I can be way more productive at home in pajamas. Other days getting dressed professionally and sitting at a real desk helps.

Yup. I find I work best when I am dressed up and in a coffee shop, but then I'd be eating sweets. Not sure what to do on this. :tongue:

Monday:

Breakfast: Banana

Lunch: Flat Top stir fry. Fruit cup.

I just went to this restaurant, they gave me a bowl and I could put whatever in it, and smother it in whatever sauce, then they would cook it for me.

When I told them I'd pass on meat, they looked at me funny, but didn't make any comment. I stuffed all kinds of veggies in the bowl then tried 3-4 different kinds of plant proteins (mushroom, wheat, seitan, etc). Slathered it on with horseradish-tofu sauce and asked them to crack an egg on top.

The results was epic.

Dinner: Baked salmon and asparagus, veggie soup, fruits.

Workout:

Today, I was inspired to try regain my last summer workout with the Mario Kart Challenge. It was tough, but I watched 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' as I did it, so it flew by so quickly.

200 push ups, 50 chin ups

Writing:

1 hour of academic. My advisor is back in town, and I have to meet him tomorrow. Quite and inspiration to get work done.

Mini Challenge:

Dress: NF T-shirt, black jeans, and fake shark-tooth pendant.

Comments, done!

• Like 2

Tuesday:

Breakfast: A banana

Lunch: Hummus and broccoli, pita, dried chinese date and fruits

Snack: Cupcake and peanuts

Stressed after meeting with adviser. The meeting went well, but it turns out I still have a lot more to do, so after a meeting, I went to the nearest bakery... then I ate a lot of snack peanuts.

I want to blame the disease, but at this point I show no other symptoms. It's not Hyperthyroidism anymore, but the habit create from it. An excuse. I won't get too mad for this once or twice, but I will have to find a way to break this. 

Dinner: Chicken, Catfish, collard green, and fried okra.

Workout: 3 mi run, 2x100 m sprint. I think the snack really hurt me. I had a snack at five and ran at six. I had to stop at mile 2, and slowed until the destination. I wasn't going to sprint, but I changed my mind and forced myself to do it. Bad decision.

The world was a swirling colors when I was finished. I felt like half of me was in the cloud, and I could not breath fast enough. After a few glasses of water, though, everything was fine.

Clothings: Chocolate brown button down and mustard colored pants. :tongue:

Writing: 2 hours of academic.

Comments: Done!!

• Like 2
ah here's the right thread.

Sorry for the delay, popping in to say hello (and subscribe.)

dog-says-hello-jpg.jpg

I've got the creative writing aspect in my challenge, but I'm hung up on a book concept. That's cool that you added an academic portion to that. 

That's an awesome idea to let other people know that you're being more health conscious. Hope they don't push any cakes on ya. (My grandpa is always pushing pan de dulce my way every week)

You've been eating pretty green so far. Keep it up! It's fine to have a cheat day every now and then. Rome Breaking a habit wasn't conquered in a day. 

Cool idea with the mini challenges!

I love this themes challenge, very nature-y. we could all use a little more sunshine. am i right?

teletubbies_sun.gif

• Like 2

2. Dress up for 5 days this week.

Just to go with the theme, and who doesn't want to increase their seductive power a little?

Mini Challenge:

Dress: NF T-shirt, black jeans, and fake shark-tooth pendant.

Clothings: Chocolate brown button down and mustard colored pants. :tongue:

The world ain't ready for your charms

sexy-prince.gif

• Like 3

Lvl 58 Multitasker

ah here's the right thread.
Sorry for the delay, popping in to say hello (and subscribe.)
dog-says-hello-jpg.jpg

I've got the creative writing aspect in my challenge, but I'm hung up on a book concept. That's cool that you added an academic portion to that. 
That's an awesome idea to let other people know that you're being more health conscious. Hope they don't push any cakes on ya. (My grandpa is always pushing pan de dulce my way every week)

You've been eating pretty green so far. Keep it up! It's fine to have a cheat day every now and then. Rome Breaking a habit wasn't conquered in a day. 
Cool idea with the mini challenges!
I love this themes challenge, very nature-y. we could all use a little more sunshine. am i right?
teletubbies_sun.gif

Pan da dulce soundes very awesome (and a little sugary.) I get so much sunshine that my South Asian side of my heritage start to literary 'outshine' my East Asian side. My face and arms are about 5 shades darker than my thighs and stomach. :)

The world ain't ready for your charms

sexy-prince.gif

Haha. Is it a coincidence that Prince is also an awesome small dude? :)

To go with the apparent food theme (chocolate and mustard) and the prince gif, you obviously need a raspberry beret next :-)

To bad I don't have a raspberry beret lying around, although it would look great. I need some brighter tones in my wardrobe.

• Like 1

Wednesday

Breakfast: Leftover salmon, asparagus, and banana

Lunch: Smoothies of collard greens and berries, pita and hummus leftover

Dinner: Chinese noodle salad and broiled pig foot, bread, rice, and strawberries

[Celebrate my friends' Japanese exam]

Exercise: A little tired today, so I only did 100 push ups, 50 chin ups. 1 mi walk to the hospital.

Writing: 1 hr of academic

Clothing: Repeated mustard pants *shrug* and white long-sleeved button up.

Comments: Done

Today is kind of bland and unproductive. Got some minimal work done and went to the hospital to get my blood checked. Then I felt so drained I didn't do anything else for the rest of the day. There will always be tomorrow for deadlines.

• Like 1
Guest Jiang

Sorry to hear about the rough day, but if it helps, either 100 pushups or 50 chin-ups  strikes me as pretty kickass on any day. So does the broader green roof project- you're looking at them with hopes to design one?

Subbing, for cool goals, theme, and jealousy provoking Asian food! Are you cooking some of that yourself?

Today is kind of bland and unproductive. Got some minimal work done and went to the hospital to get my blood checked. Then I felt so drained I didn't do anything else for the rest of the day. There will always be tomorrow for deadlines.

Bland days have their place too.  If it weren't for the boring ones, we wouldn't appreciate the amazing ones!  Or some other motivational drivel.

I hate bland days too.  :numbness:

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Just don't let one bad day excuse the next and it is fine.

Nope. I felt like it could be an excuse, but I did just fine.

Sorry to hear about the rough day, but if it helps, either 100 pushups or 50 chin-ups  strikes me as pretty kickass on any day. So does the broader green roof project- you're looking at them with hopes to design one?

Subbing, for cool goals, theme, and jealousy provoking Asian food! Are you cooking some of that yourself?

Thanks for subbing. I cook some for myself, but I also have two foodie roommates who enjoy cooking, so I usually take care of leftovers.

I am not designing the greenroof myself, but I am doing the research involving it.

Bland days have their place too.  If it weren't for the boring ones, we wouldn't appreciate the amazing ones!  Or some other motivational drivel.

I hate bland days too.  :numbness:

I agree. Too many amazing days can be buzzkills. 

• Like 1

Thursday: 

Lunch: Leftover salad. The dressing is so awesome!

Dinner: Party. A roommate saw a friend making a cake and decided to make one too. Grilled chicken, mango salsa, mashed potato

Workout: Long walk, 3 mi run

Writing: 1 hr academic.

Nothing exciting, but nothing bad happened. Just a party before one of my roommates was off to see his family. It was a fun hangout, where we discussed the importance of 'Schwa' in English Language.

Costume: Maroon shortsleeve with black trim and black pants.

Comments: Sadly not done.

Friday:

Breakfast: Bananas, leftover mashed potatoes

Lunch: Leftover split pea soup (from last weekend) I dumped the mango salsa and added greens, pineapple, and tomatoes in. 

Dinner: Thai style beef salad, rice, banana

Workout: 

2 mi run/ sprint

12.5x8x4 renegade row/ 14kg kettlebell swing

20 secx4 ball plank (my abs are on fire) 14kg kettlebell squat, 14 kg kettlebell shoulder lift.

I broke my record of 7 min/mi tonight because I was shadow-pacing a friend who's very good at running. 13.40 min in 2 mi! It felt awesome.

Writing: 2 hr academic

Dress up: Stayed in and pulled in pajama because of the rain. 

Comments: Coming up! I'll do six tonight!

• Like 4

What is 'Schwa'?

Three of my close friends are linguists... so...

• Like 1

Interesting.

Is that a dialect thing or an official part of British and American English?

I - I should admit that I pronounce 'data' typically with both 'a's making the same sound, although sometimes I notice myself saying it differently. I like when languages make the same sounds on the same letters, changing it up seems like cheating to the detriment of foreign speakers and children.

• Like 2